3-3: "Diners to Donors" 2011.04.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

77 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

From Zap2it:

Crickets, nightcrawlers and beetles are on the menu for the quickfire; the elimination challenge has the chefs selling their dishes for $100 a plate.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

"Naomi loves you if you give her an edgewipe."

Bugs, bugs and more bugs. No thanks. I'll fast forward that part upon rewatching.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:32 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

Yeah, I don't really get the point of making Masters cook with bugs like that. Just let them do their thing.

Hugh and unibrow crack me up. He has a way of looking into the camera like he wants to say "Duh!"

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Nooooo, not John. I liked him so so much. His dish tasted very good, from what I heard, though it was simple. Mary Sue and Celina's dishes did NOT taste good. And yet he's sent packing. What a great fellow.

Hugh sure is feisty. Naomi grates big time.

The bugs were horrific. I hardly watched -- so gross and poor Curtis.

I do like that the top two Diner vote getters got a percentage for their charities. But in general, I don't like how much power the diner vote gets.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

Hootie Hoo. Where is everyone??

I thought Ruth England was a wuss. I would be too with bugs but why bill her as a bug eater when she was barely touching them. Loved Myke though. He was chowing down on that stuff like it was filet mignon.

Not liking Naomi. She's way too bossy for me. Her soup and Savir's dish must have been fantastic to get 83 percent of the vote between them.

So far my faves are Hugh, George and Celina.

spankydoll

spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Actually, there is a movement to add insects to our dining repitoire. They are an excellent source of nutrients and can be raised and harvested without as much damage to the environment as say, cows. I've tried some insect dishes at the "Insectorium" in New Orleans...quite a good chocolate chip and cricket cookie. And seriously, anyone who has eaten a hot dog.....

Curtis is an ASS. He should have tried the dish as a judge. Hosting TC Masters would be a dream job for so many people. He obviously can't stand the heat so get him the fuck out of the kitchen.

Someone needs to spike Naomi's coffee with some Paxil. She is insufferable.

Edited to change ASS's name to Curtis.

Edited by spankydoll, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:48 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

How neat was that when Hugh announced that since he had immunity he would do the dessert course? He figured he'd take one for the team if the dish failed. Several of them had already done well with a dessert, but I saw his reasoning behind it all as he wanted to be a team player. Too bad Celina decided to go with a dessert anyway, but I really don't like how James Oseland practically ordered her to never make a dessert again. James dear, you'll find laxatives on the aisle next to the pharmacy.

Sad that John went home for his classic risotto. Never thought I'd see that. A classic old world dish gets ding-ed for not being edgy enough. On the plus side he went home with a well prepared dish without innovation, rather than a gritty pudding or over salted scallop.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:45 PM.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Bugs. Ick. I'm glad that wasn't the elimination challenge. I agree with those who don't like the diners having so much power to determine the winners and losers. Why bother with the judges? Curtis Stone can just tell them to pack their knives and go.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

Jaime is an ASS.He should have tried the dish as a judge.

But he isn't a judge, he said that specifically and also he isn't listed as a judge on Bravo's website. Also, his name is Curtis.

but I really don't like how James Oseland practically ordered her to never make a dessert again

I actually thought that was helpful for her, they first asked her if she had some great passion for pastry and dessert and it was only after she said no that he said that. Basically, telling her to stop trying to prove to them that she can make a decent dessert and just go with her strengths.

The editors really do a disservice in trying to make judging "suspenseful" because it's not like bad chocolate pudding is some none safe dish.

I agree with those who don't like the diners having so much power to determine the winners and losers.

They didn't have any control over the winners and losers, they only voted for who they wanted their individual $100 to go to. It seemed clear when the judges were eating that their two favorites were Suvir and Naomi were there favorites. And there was no mention about the diners choosing their least favorites.

And randomly I think one of the diners this week was another Cougar Town writer, Ryan Koh, which is funny because co-creator and writer Kevin Biegel was dining at Restaurant Wars.

Edited by biakbiak, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:57 PM.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I hated hearing puddin' over and over -- it's PUDDING. I would've kicked out Celina just for that cutesy name.

Didn't the diners have some big say over the winner last week too?

Edited by MerBear, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

Is the correct pronunciation really "puddin'"? The deliberate way Celina kept saying it was distracting.

I agree Hugh was taking one for the team, and he seems like a cool guy.

ETA: MerBear beat me to it!

Edited by vb68, Apr 20, 2011 @ 10:56 PM.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

Celina was not the only one pronouncing it "pud'n" -- a lot of the so-called Masters were doing that. It looked like Cosby made better "pud'n".

Don't like the new format. (Would have liked to have seen Kelly eat the bugs, though. Or Padma. Or Tom.) Not having heard of really any of this batch, I would not have been able to tell them from regular cheftestants the way the challenges are constructed this season. I could not picture Waxman or Susan Feniger or the Silver Fox Hubert sniping and back-biting over "pud'n" and who was being bossier than whom.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

Sad that John went home for his classic risotto. Never thought I'd see that. A classic old world dish gets ding-ed for not being edgy enough. On the plus side he went home with a well prepared dish without innovation, rather than a gritty pudding or over salted scallop.

That was a bit baffling. I don't especially like John but I don't see how they didn't send Tio home (and I like her). They said John's and Hostess cupcake lady's food was good, just not spectacular. Celina's puddin' was gritty and not chocolately enough. Seems like a no-brainer but what do I know.

Yes I said puddin'. I have since I was a kid and probably always will. I guess I'm just lazy. I say sittin' too.

Hugh: I haven't won yet and it's really bugging me.
He cracks me up!

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

How does chalky, bad tasting pudding win over a perfect risotto?

First bugs, then no water.

Actually, there is a movement to add insects to our dining repitoire.

I guess they would appreciate a cockroach infested restaurant.

Cookie Mobster

Cookie Mobster

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

I see Top Chef Masters continues to bring over the worst aspects of the Top Chef challenges this season.

No water?! I would have been angry had I payed $100 a plate for something that gave me food poisoning because no one was able to wash their hands or their produce due to some stupid twist. How about a twist that isn't so possibly unsanitary next time?

Really like Hugh so far, and despite the cockiness Suvir is entertaining to watch and is growing on me.

Edited by Cookie Mobster, Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:17 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

Celina was not the only one pronouncing it "pud'n" -- a lot of the so-called Masters were doing that.

I think the title caption on her dish even said puddin'.

Zackster

Zackster

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:56 PM

I don't know if I'm going to continue watching Top Chef Masters. The quickfire was gross, the twists in the elimination challenge were ridiculous. I don't recognize most of these "Masters." They seem like your garden-variety chefs. Feh. This used to be a good show, at least for the first two seasons.

DryIce

DryIce

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

The young judge (or whatever he was) told John that his risotto was an excellently made classic risotto....but, weren't they bickering earlier as to whether pine nuts belonged in a classic risotto or not? I'm so confused. Before they made the cut Stone said, "So are we all in agreement as to which dish was your least favorite?"...and they nodded 'yes'. Just before that they all acknowledged that the risotto was great but not modern enough and the pudding basically sucked. The judges decision left me shaking my head....none of it made sense. I'm hating this season and I can't say I care for Stone or any of the new judges. ARGH

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 12:28 AM

With a broad regular TC style field, they really need to stop with the fake out editing. No matter how many times they told us in various ways all the tension in the kitchen over service and organization, it really was not there to even close the extent the amount time spent warranted.

Forget the bugs. The highlight for me (if my The Soup memories serve) for the Quickfire was a healthy serving of Myke Hawke. Yes I'm twelve.

Again not a fan of the hoops they make the wide field jump through. Like the fake drama, it takes up time that could be spent making great food and letting us see that. No water. A half hour early jump. No waiters. I'm surprised Stone didn't pop back and tell them all food had to be conveyed via trays that could only be transported using one's sphincter.

I have no idea why or what happened in the judging that tosses a risotto called excellent and a puddin' that plopped.

My biggest complaint with the safe bit as an issue? How is a puddin' not also kind of safe? So an excellent safe risotto not only is somehow the worst dish over a gritty bad puddin' but a PUDDIN'!

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

Really like Hugh so far, and despite the cockiness Suvir is entertaining to watch and is growing on me.

They're both entertaining and I was so glad they brought Hugh back. It was too bad for him to have to go so early.

Suvir is being edited to seem annoying (I think), but he just seems amusing and nice, imo. Sorry to see John go. Sometimes I wish these things were based on cumulative points and everyone stayed around to the end.

Darth Nigel

Darth Nigel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 1:08 AM

Really not impressed with this week's show. I wonder what would have happened if one of the Master Chefs had said, "oh hell no" to the buggy quickfire. That really felt like a gimmick to shill for the "Man, Woman, Wild" show.

As for the elimination challenge: Please STOP IT with the dumb "twists". You have no water. You have no waiters. You have less time than you thought. What is the point? To ratchet up the drahmah? This week felt like a Survivor Challenge and face it, if I wanted to watch Survivor, I would.

Dumb episode. The only high spot was wondering of someone was going to take a cleaver to Curtis as he kept drifting on to the set with more contrivance. Would have been good ... "Tonight we have long pig, served on Eucalyptus leaves. Enjoy!"

Seriously though: can you imagine someone of the calibre of Chefs Morimoto, DuFresne or Batali taking this crap?

mrhooks

mrhooks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 2:14 AM

Myke Hawke is like the manliest man ever. Every time he talks, I crack up. Although he kinda looks like Grant Show.

Don't think of them as scorpions; think of them as very small lobsters. I draw the line at worms though.

I also thought it was a no-brainer that Celina Tio should have gone home for her bad pudding. You figure that the first rule of food is that it should taste good, and John delivered on that count.

Please STOP IT with the dumb "twists". [...] What is the point?

I think the point is to make it that much easier for the judges to do their job - you know someone is going to get screwed up by one of the stupid twists sooner or later, so it makes it easier for them to select who goes home, compared to if every chef had ample time and resources and made great dishes (almost) every time. Then again, after this episode, I wonder if the judges have any idea what they're doing.

GlurpGal

GlurpGal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 2:19 AM

I think Hugh's throwaway comments are hilarious, better than Fabio's even. Maybe he should host next season. I just have one very petty issue -- would someone please hold him down and wax or pluck the hell out of his monobrow??? It's completely distracting.

As for Suvir, I too am seeing his comments more and more as Zen calm rather than arrogance. I'm beginning to think he'll win. Anyone else?

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

• Interests:Science-Fiction and competitive reality shows not based on the performing arts or social interaction (The Amazing Race, Face-Off, Top Chef, etc.; NOT American Idol, Bachelor, Real Housewives, etc.).

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 2:22 AM

Actually, twists in the challenges have been a part of this show since the very first episode EC (cooking in a dorm room). It would be a really boring cooking show without them. It showcases how a master chef can overcome obstacles to cook incredible food.

With that said, I don't have a clue how a bad " puddin' " did better than a good risotto. Guess the dunkin' donut was incredible. Wish John had stayed.

I'm absolutely loving Suvir now. He's Zen fabulous! Consider me officially on his bandwagon to win it all. I just hope his principals to never kill animals or eat meat doesn't cause him further problems.

Still haven't made up my mind about Hugh. His dry sense of wit and deep voice are going to take some getting use to. Nor have I made up my mind about the new format.

With a salad winning a QF last week, and a soup winning the EC this week, this shows why these are the Masters. Those types of dishes have sent people home in regular Top Chef (even All-Stars).

annetteFHorn

annetteFHorn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 7:59 AM

Am I mis-remembering, or did the same guy who wouldn't kill bugs this week cook VEAL last week?

I stopped paying attention once they said "no waiters". I don't watch this show to see twists like that and "oh, guess what, no water!". I watch it, or used to watch it, to see friendly competition among great chefs, who were all given the same challenge (e.g., make something that will survive being served as airplane food). I don't like the last-minute twists partly because I think they affect the contestants differently, depending on what decisions they've already made. Last night, for example, cutting 30 minutes off the cooking time means minor adjustments for some dishes, but complete overhauls for others.

Feh. Off my DVR.

mrhooks

mrhooks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:23 AM

Am I mis-remembering, or did the same guy who wouldn't kill bugs this week cook VEAL last week?

The bugs were alive. The veal was already dead.

seacliffsal

seacliffsal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM

I was saddened and surprised that John was sent home. How many times on how many shows do we see that it's really difficult to get Risotto right? And here we have one that was declared to be delicious by all that was sent home over chalky, not chocolate enough pudding (I would have hated that) and cerviche that only tasted like pickled onion?

And, no water? Really? I would imagine that a restaurant would have to close (temporarily) if it didn't have running water. Where are the health police?

Very disappointing.

PotomacDog

PotomacDog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:35 AM

It's a shame that John left for decent risotto while Celina's grainy pudding stayed. That said, I hope she does well from here on out.

Naomi was too pushy for my taste. I got a kick out of Hugh-ni-Brow. His facial expressions are hilarious. It was satisfying to see him push back.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

I don't have a problem with Naomi's behavior. She volunteered to expedite and chose a dish that would allow her to do so. When she was already working in that role, effectively I might add, Hugh decides to jump in, too, and start doing things a different way. If he felt there were problems with the way she was doing things, he could have just offered to help her, conversed with her about a joint strategy, and worked together to make things happen, rather than just deciding to do things a different way and get all pissy when she keeps to the plan that she already was working on. I get that they're all top dogs back in their home kitchens, but you can't have 10 bosses in the kitchen when you're putting out a team effort.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

She volunteered to expedite and chose a dish that would allow her to do so.

I don't think she volunteered so much as just took it over...again.

I'm not in on the Savir lovefest. I think he's sneaky. I thought it was funny how he said Naomi's soup might be too simple and she won going up against him. I think I would have picked his dish for the win though. I love celery but celetry soup just sounds awful to me.