1-1: "Winter Is Coming" 2011.04.17 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

549 replies to this topic

hotcha42

hotcha42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

Now, it's time for a little racialized reading of the text (series) thus far. The savage dark-skinned King who marries the pure blonde civilized virgin was problematic. If this series wants to keep my attention, I'm praying the writer isn't guilty of some of that same kind of white boy simple-mindedness we all know George Lucas for where whole races/species get reduced down to dysfunctional types (like the Jar-Jar Binks -- a whole breed of simpletons put in for punchline and comic relief). So, I'll be watching to see if this culture gets fleshed out as more than dummies who for one white virgin go fight for homeboy, the prince. I did notice the girl/princes now savage queen seems, like her brother, to really miss home and want to go back. She perked up when she realized the one man was from home. In hoping the dark/savage king is more than a flat one-dimensional character who has his own agenda. It would be nice to see him use his army and become the King on the steele throne and let the new wife be queen and kill her brother, only after raping him..lol.

Although you're not on the mark with that, I don't think you'll be disappointed with what happens should they stick to the story, which I believe they (mostly) will. I found myself surprised by where Martin took his characters - there are some trite things, definitely, but mostly I think he did a great job of avoiding the obvious, so stick around for a few episodes.

Also, for what it's worth, although Daenerys said she missed home, she left there as a baby and her only "memories" are from her brother.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

"Where's the Imp?" haha, love Arya. Love her even more that she asked that twice in front of everyone.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

Epic first episode, it definitely lived up to my expectations and the hour just flew by.

Loved Arya, Bran, Tyrion, & Jaime.

So far, so great HBO. :D

NoirEtoile

NoirEtoile

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

Would food really be prepared at a "royal wedding" in front of the guests and King? That seemed odd. I'd expect food to be prepared else where. It seemed done to make the point about this culture being so different. But reading a lot about ancient civilizations and a regular viewer of imagined ancient cultures, the food at the even being cooked there seemed odd...just noting.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

"Where's the Imp?" haha, love Arya. Love her even more that she asked that twice in front of everyone.

Oh man, that's what she said. I thought she kept asking, "Where's Liam?" And then at the end of the show, I thought, "Wait, we didn't even meet Liam. Why was Arya so excited to meet him?"

Sigh.

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

Hadn't read the book, the reviews, or the HBO character guides, so I came in with fresh eyes. I had no problem following the story line or the relationships, though the character names still escape me.

I found the ep to be gripping, not slow-moving at all. My only problem with it was the anviliciousness moment of "promise me you'll stop climbing". Whenever a child is warned against some dangerous activity, you just know that they are doomed.

HawtMess

HawtMess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

I wonder if it's that she's a bit older than I expected or if she's just kind of flat.

I don't know, Lady Cat was just as I imagined her. Stony and unyielding. She is not evil perse but the woman is hard to say the least. It wouldn't have done for her to have any warmth. Except when she is dealing with her children and husband and I thought she did. She was likable with her own.

Loved Arya, Bran, Tyrion, & Jaime.

Take out Jaime and include Jon and Dany and you've got me.

hotcha42

hotcha42

Loyal Viewer

Sansa is as shallow and spoiled as I expected and Jon Snow as noble, but I do agree that Lady Stark is lacking some. I wonder if it's that she's a bit older than I expected or if she's just kind of flat.

I was definitely surprised by her age, but I think the actress lends the character some gravitas that, for whatever reason, I wasn't getting from Catelyn in the books. I think she will carry off some of the later scenes amazingly. I also agree that Arya is awesome and I like the actress here more than the in the books - same with Bran. I am very happy with the casting so far, although they probably should have done a little more explaining about some of the tertiary characters like Theon - I couldn't even place him for several scenes.

NoirEtoile

NoirEtoile

Video Archivist

@hotcha42 -- yeah, I'm conjecturing a lot (which is fun to do) and I appreciate knowing from you it's worth continuing to see what develops. I think in movies, the characters don't have a lot of room to grow and develop, so I've got to sit back and watch things unfold. I definitely need the blonde to find her voice and quit looking tragic.

Best lines belong to the imp, especially when he alludes to having been blessed with a big wanker..lol.

Oh, I did like the line where the King told his new right-hand man to quit looking grim!

Edited by NoirEtoile, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:02 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Loved it! I've only just started reading the books (although, I'm already ahead of when the episode ended), and while there was a good amount of exposition and a few slow moments, I thought it did a great job at introducing these characters, this world/land, and I'm already looking forward to seeing what happens next. For me, if felt like a darker, not for children version of the Lord of the Rings film, with the quality of acting, look, and storytelling.

Sean Bean is a perfect choice as Eddard. He does a great job at making him noble, sympathetic, and likable, but you can see that when the time calls for it, he is more then capable to unleash hell. All the kids were good and looked the parts, although I also had problems telling Robb and Jon "The Bastard" Snow apart. Catelyn was alright, but kind of different then I expected.

The Lannisters are perfectly creepy. I was worried about Lena Headey at first, since I'm used to her from Terminator:SCC and 300, but I thought she did good at making Cersei pompous and clearly someone who isn't trustworthy. Not familiar with the actor playing Jaime, but I thought he was perfect in the role. The scene when he was talking down to Ned was great in a "I totally want someone to kick his ass" kind of way.

Good seeing Mark Addy again. Already love the chemistry he and Bean have.

Already feel for Daenerys and how she is being forced into a loveless marriage and basically being used as a pawn by her creepy, creepy brother. Surprised that the actress has only done two things before this; I thought she was very good, as was the brother. As for Khal Drogo, Jason Moma looked the part, but he didn't have much to do to determine if he will be a good fit.

Tyrion is already becoming one of my favorites. Peter Dinklage was made for this role. Awesome casting.

Loved the opening credits.

Already looking forward to the next episodes. I hope they keep it up.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Thanks, Jadiem. That was helpful to me. I thought the Starks had 5 children though, plus the wonderful bastard Jon Snow? Weren't there 5 wolf pups plus the hidden runt? There seemed another smallish child in line with the Starks when the King arrived, is it? I'm getting ahead of myself, I should really just go back and study the epi 1 name list!

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

I love reading the comments from people who haven't read the books because the reactions are pretty spot-on.

This show is wonderful. The casting has helped out with the characters I struggled with in the book, especially Bran, Sansa and Jaime. I love Arya just as much as in the books and the side characters worked very well too, like Benjen Stark, Illyrio and Maester Luwin.

I will say only HBO can really show the gutting, beheading and brazen nudity that is part of this world. I was worried about Dany's story being true to the books because she goes through some crazy naked antics that, to me, is extremely important to the overall saga. Good thing Emilia Clarke is down for it all.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Yes, there's five Stark kids; the youngest is named Rickon.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Thanks, Jadiem. That was helpful to me. I thought the Starks had 5 children though, plus the wonderful bastard Jon Snow? Weren't there 5 wolf pups plus the hidden runt? There seemed another smallish child in line with the Starks when the King arrived, is it? I'm getting ahead of myself, I should really just go back and study the epi 1 name list

You are correct. There is also Rickon, their youngest son (briefly seen during the archery scene and standing next to his mom when the King arrives) but he doesn't play an important role in the events of the novel due to his age.

Impi

Impi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Thanks, Jadiem. That was helpful to me. I thought the Starks had 5 children though, plus the wonderful bastard Jon Snow? Weren't there 5 wolf pups plus the hidden runt? There seemed another smallish child in line with the Starks when the King arrived, is it? I'm getting ahead of myself, I should really just go back and study the epi 1 name list!

Young Rickon got his hair tussled and ran to get arrows, that is about the most we saw of him this episode.

watchergirl

watchergirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

God, I loved it. Loved it. I can't even find anything to really nitpick, because even the small things feel pretty insignificant because it stayed so true to the spirit of the books (which I love).

Gorgeous, gorgeous sets. OMG, I can't wait to see the Eyrie. And the Moon Door. OMG.

Fantastic casting. Loved characters I don't even like in the books so much (Catelyn), adored those that I do (Arya, Dany, Tyrion) and seem to be developing a rather uncomfortable crush on Jamie Lannister simply because everything about that character (including his fairly epic d-bag status) was so perfectly done.

And despite the fact that there are a lot of things I really don't like about Robert, I *really* bought his friendship with Ned, and the scene in the Winterfell crypt was great.

I can't remember the last time I got to the end of an episode of something and was just desperate for more. Well done, HBO. This was good enough that it *almost* made me wish I hadn't read the books, so I could be thrilled all over again by everything that's coming.

ETA: Question - was the bitchy kid that hangs out with Robb and Jon Theon Greyjoy?

Edited by watchergirl, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:20 PM.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Nerd-gasm!!!!!

That is all....

BluePhoenix

BluePhoenix

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

LOVED it! I was so pleased with the casting and sheesh but I feel like a dirty old woman whenever Jon is on the screen. LOL

I guess it was worth adding HBO to my cable package just for this show. Can't wait til next week.

Does anyone know how many episodes there are in season one?

rimorob

rimorob

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

Thank you, HBO. Thank you so very very much. Thank you for bringing us Arya and Catelyn and Tyrion and Jamie, The Hound, Jon, Dany, Ned, Robert, Cersei, Robb, Sansa, Viserys, Jorah, Drogo, etc... Thank you for letting the quality of the story shine through. Thank you for spending the money on making this look first rate. Thank you for the mind-blowingly awesome opening credits. Thank you for the chilling opening scene. Thank you for ending the first episode with "The things I do for love."

Thank you for giving us Game of Thrones.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

Bluepheonix 10

watchergirl yes

Everything I hoped it would be and more.

HBO Canada did not air whatever the 10 minutes thing HBO us did what was in that?

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

I added HBO specifically for this show, and not regretting it a bit. Well done.

Theon was never named in the episode, but he was the one who was so eager to kill the direwolf pups until Ned finally called him off. I was surprised how few people were named directly, which must be a bit confusing to people who haven't read the books. Heck, I still don't remember the name of the white-haired guy who brought the news of the deserter to Ned (was he the Master-at-Arms?). They never called him by name.

Never read the books (I know, shoot me, I'll pick them up now). Audible gasp from me at the end with nasty sister screwer tossing cute boy out of a window. Is it too much to hope that cute wolf puppy takes revenge? Or shooting arrow sister?

Arya channeling her inner Xena and kicking some serious Cersei ass would be worth the price of admission.

ETA: Removed a "my bad" memory issue

Edited by SpeciousLogic, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:59 PM.

HawtMess

HawtMess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Thank you, HBO. Thank you so very very much. Thank you for bringing us Arya and Catelyn and Tyrion and Jamie, The Hound, Jon, Dany, Ned, Robert, Cersei, Robb, Sansa, Viserys, Jorah, Drogo, etc... Thank you for letting the quality of the story shine through. Thank you for spending the money on making this look first rate. Thank you for the mind-blowingly awesome opening credits. Thank you for the chilling opening scene. Thank you for ending the first episode with "The things I do for love."

Thank you for giving us Game of Thrones.

Amen!

CSphillyeagles

CSphillyeagles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Those were some of the coolest opening credits I've ever seen.

kenm

kenm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

I agree with the general tone of commentary. This was very well done. The Lannisters aren't as blond as I think they ought to be, and Tyrion isn't ugly enough, but those are minor nitpicks. The credits were cool, but what was up with the clockwork motif?

It will be interesting to see if the ratings stay high enough to justify filming all the books. They are not exactly...uh...traditionally crowd pleasing, in a lot of ways. Although there is a lot of sex, which people like, so that might help.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

HBO Canada did not air whatever the 10 minutes thing HBO us did what was in that?

Mostly, it was a pretty slick "One Moment Away" HBO promo showing scenes from upcoming scenes of TrueBlood, Treme and David Milch's new series Luck. Whomever is in charge of HBO's promo department is earning their pay right now. They are not missing a beat.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I added HBO specifically for this show, and not regretting it a bit. Well done.

I totally agree! HBO rocks for putting this on. Thank you, HBO!!!

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

Even when Bran addressed his direwolf, I don't think he called him "Summer".

Summer doesn't get his name this early in the story.

thegourmez

thegourmez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

Theon was never named in the episode, but he was the one who was so eager to kill the direwolf pups until Ned finally called him off. I was surprised how few people were named directly, which must be a bit confusing to people who haven't read the books. Heck, I still don't remember the name of the white-haired guy who brought the news of the deserter to Ned (was he the Master-at-Arms?). They never called him by name.

That's my biggest complaint--the lack of names. I readily admit that it may have been a stroke of genius not to name people in this episode since there's so much to take in already, but yeah, very few people were named at all. Our one nonreader in the group commentated on it, too, but he seemed sucked in by it all regardless.

Hooray! Now to find more friends' houses to crash for viewing...

snoozy

snoozy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Wow.

No, that doesn't say enough. WOW! holy crap!!

1. I never have time for the "bad boy" characters in life or on big or small screen, but man I could see the charm of Jaime. oh dearie me.
2. Tyrion is everything I could have hoped for and then some more on top. I never imagined him as sexy as he was tonight.
3. Loved Arya but then she's my fave from the whole thing so I'm biased.
4. Loved Dany and Viserys. But mostly Dany. Film Dany might become more favourited than other characters, like Sansa, somewhere down the line.
5. What a way to end episode 1. Bran!!!

Wow, wow, wow.

JacG

JacG

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

How old is Dany supposed to be?