Cast Members in Other Roles

• Please log in to reply

354 replies to this topic

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:14 AM

I found myself looking at Lena Headey's IMDb page, and noticed something amusing. She was in an episode of Ballykissangel entitled The Things We Do for Love. And now she's in a series where those are important words.

And out of curiosity, has Sean Bean ever talked about comparing and constrasting his experiences in GOT with LOTR?

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

I've not seen any interviews where he's asked that. Which is odd, because you'd think that would be top of the list of questions. Even if they just asked him if he recycled old LOTR costumes for this role.

Apparently, John Bradley, who plays Sam Tarley, is also one of the Medicis in the Borgias. Talk about conflicting loyalties!

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:51 PM

Maybe once S1 has aired he'll talk about about it. Once all the new people have been properly introduced, and he's less concerned about spoilers.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

Apparently, John Bradley, who plays Sam Tarley, is also one of the Medicis in the Borgias. Talk about conflicting loyalties!

Not the Showtime "The Borgias" though it's a different production called Borgia

Elyes Gabel (Rakharo) was in Showtimes "The Borgias" though as Prince Djem.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

I remember Sean Bean going back to Patriot Games. I thought he was going to be a major star at that time.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

While I don't know if you'd call him a major star, I think Sean Bean is pretty well known, even if it's probably in a "Hey, it's that guy!" capacity.

He's a great actor, but really, he's got to be one of the most typecast actors out there. Even though his breakthrough was playing the essentially heroic Richard Sharpe on television, he's played almost entirely villains in his film career. I wonder if he ever gets frustrated with the types of roles he's offered.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

He's a great actor, but really, he's got to be one of the most typecast actors out there. Even though his breakthrough was playing the essentially heroic Richard Sharpe on television, he's played almost entirely villains in his film career. I wonder if he ever gets frustrated with the types of roles he's offered.

Well he wasn't a villain in LOTR, just a misguided, weak, would be hero. And he was Odysseus in Troy. Doesn't get much more heroic than that, even if the movie wasn't very good. Outside of Hollywood, he's been a good guy as often as he's been a baddie.

He's always Sharpe to me though, which means he's the quintessential roguish hero.

Prettyeyes

Prettyeyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

WRT the other roles of the cast, some of Mark Addy's best-known roles before GoT were in The Flinstones In Viva Rock Vegas, as the male lead in the CBS sitcom Still Standing and last, but not least, as one of the male strippers in The Full Monty.

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 10:57 AM

I loved Peter Dinklage in The Station Agent... Very different role, but excellent film. Highly recommended to anyone who's a fan. I got a parakeet the day after I watched the movie, and named it "Finbar" after his character... Mostly just because it's an awesome name!

fallingfortruth

fallingfortruth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

For us fantasy nerds Mark Addy is and will always be (when he isn't being Robert!) one of the fabulous sidekicks of Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein from A Knight's Tale.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

I pimp this movie to anyone who will listen, so I may as well continue my streak here. Lena Headey, Stellan Skarsgard, Ian Hart and Charlotte Rampling are all fucking great in Aberdeen.

There are various places to legally watch online, so, y'know, go watch it.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 18, 2011 @ 11:59 AM.

Lady V

Lady V

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:06 AM

I loved Peter Dinklage in The Station Agent... Very different role, but excellent film.

I loved him in Death At A Funeral too.

I especially loved that on the commentary on the DVD the director said that the roll was for a normal sized man, but then he thought of Dinklage, and was so happy he accepted. He said that if he had not accepted, he would have cast the roll as written, and not hired a different little person.

Edited by Lady V, Apr 19, 2011 @ 3:09 AM.

Littleb

Littleb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 7:45 AM

I pimp this movie to anyone who will listen, so I may as well continue my streak here. Lena Headey, Stellan Skarsgard, Ian Hart and Charlotte Rampling are all fucking great in Aberdeen.

Amen. Fantastic movie. I'll openly confess to being quite happy watching Lena Headey in pretty much anything (yes I did actually sit through The Cave...) She's fantastic as Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, cute as a button in Imagine Me and You and pretty damn fine in 300. If you want to see her in something completely different however, try and track down Band of Gold (season 2) in which she plays a leather-wearing dominatrix prostitute from Yorkshire. It's awesome :-)

litex

litex

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

The guy playing Littlefinger played Carcetti in the Wire, which if you know anything about either Littlefinger or Carcetti, is just about the most perfect fit imaginable.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

The only thing I've seen Lena Headey in was a terrible movie called Gossip with James Marsden, Kate Hudson, and Joshua Jackson. For some reason, she's stayed in my radar though so good for her.

Jason Momoa was on the craptastic Baywatch Hawaii and the incredibly boring Fox soap North Shore. Landing this HBO gig is a big step up for him!

Meshakhad

Meshakhad

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

Jason Momoa played Ronon Dex on Stargate: Atlantis, and will also play Conan in the upcoming remake.

The funny thing is, I bet that Ronon and Khal Drogo would get along like a house on fire.

Titanium26

Titanium26

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

Harry Lloyd was Will Scarlet in BBC's Robin Hood series a few years back, and was also Jeremy Baines in a couple episodes of Doctor Who S3. Baines remains one of my favorite Who villains to date -- so, so creepy, and Harry Lloyd just nailed it. In fact, I had no idea he was the same actor who played Will until I IMDB'd him. I think he's an awesome casting choice for Viserys!

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 6:13 PM

The woman who plays Lady Cat Stark was on S1 of Misfits as Nathan's mother.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

If you want to see her in something completely different however, try and track down Band of Gold (season 2) in which she plays a leather-wearing dominatrix prostitute from Yorkshire. It's awesome :-)

zomg! Band of Gold is so awesome and so full of Hey! It's That Guy/Girl actors!. I went Brit TV crazy on Netflix a few years ago and they recommended BoG and my then roommate and I devoured S1 and were totally bummed out to learn that Seasons 2 & 3 weren't available. Bastards! We wound up blind buying a used Region 2 copy because we loved S1 so much. So good! Also, David Bradley (who played the crime boss guy who was hooking up with Samantha Morton's character) is totally playing Walder Frey in Game of Thrones which is . . . so great.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

It just dawned on me that Magister Illyrio is being played by Roger Allam. He's been in a few things like The Queen and V for Vendetta, but I remember him as the villain in the Speed Racer movie (I was one of the few that actually didn't hate that film.)

As for Lena Headey, I easily remember her in 300 and Terminator: SCC, but I remember first seeing her in The Brothers Grimm, an odd little film by Terry Gilliam, where Heath Ledger and Matt Damon played the Grimm brothers from all those fairy tale stories, and where trying to defeat an evil queen played by Monica Bellucci. Headey played a hunter, that helped the bros out. Still not sure what to make of that film, but it was interesting to say the least.

Apparently, I've seen Nikolaj Coster-Waldau before, because it seems he was in movies like Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, and Firewall. I guess that's why he did look vaguely familiar throughout the episode.

Peter Dinklage was also one of the best things about Prince Caspian, the second Narnia film.

Finally, while I've seen him in a whole bunch of things, I will always think about Boromir when I see Sean Bean. What I found impressive was that he was only in one of the films out of the three (not including the scene in "special edition" dvd of the second film), but he really left an impact in the trilogy and gave one of the best performances. Felt the same way about John Noble, who was only in the last film (and even played Boromir's dad!), but left a very lasting impression.

Becks

Becks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 4:25 AM

It just dawned on me that Magister Illyrio is being played by Roger Allam. He's been in a few things like The Queen and V for Vendetta, but I remember him as the villain in the Speed Racer movie (I was one of the few that actually didn't hate that film.)

The musical theater geek in me always does a little twirl every time I see him in something, because he was Javert in the original Royal Shakespeare Company production of Les Miserables (he's on the cast recording!). Yeah, I know it's sad.

Edited by Becks, Apr 20, 2011 @ 4:25 AM.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:07 AM

I'll definitely check out Aberdeen with Lena, thanks for the suggestion.

Sean Bean is always one of my favorite baddies in films, or he's at least playing someone who's a bit questionable in his motives, like Ronin. I think it's probably harder to play the bad guy in a way, yes you chan chew scenery til the cows come home but to really make it a memorable performance takes something special, and he's got it.

Both he and Mark Addy are in the Red Riding: In the Year Of Our Lord films which are really superb and well worth the time.

I have Tamara Drewe here to watch which Allam is in. I know I'm in for a treat when I see him in a cast list. Same with Julian Glover, Roy Dotrice, and Mr Tulkinghorn, oops I mean Charles Dance. Fun!

semigothgirl

semigothgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

The guy playing Littlefinger played Carcetti in the Wire, which if you know anything about either Littlefinger or Carcetti, is just about the most perfect fit imaginable.

I was so excited when I saw him in one of the character guides! I haven't read the books, but if he's playing another slimeball I'm in!! I love this show precisely because it has complex, interesting characters just like The Wire did, so I'm very excited to see a Wire alum in here.

I also totally forgot that Mark Addy was in A Knight's Tale as well as The Full Monty. I think he's great as the king so far, which is NOT the type of role I'd expect to see him in.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

As for Lena Headey, I easily remember her in 300 and Terminator: SCC

I thought Lena was awesome in TSCC. Even now when she's not faking an American accent, wearing period clothes and a blonde wig I still sort of expect her to pull out a gun and shoots some Terminators.

I really liked Peter Dinklage when he was on 30 Rock; he was one of Liz's boyfriends that I wish came back. (So she coulda make-a the prank phone call to the Italian ambassador.)

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

I really liked Peter Dinklage when he was on 30 Rock; he was one of Liz's boyfriends that I wish came back. (So she coulda make-a the prank phone call to the Italian ambassador.)

I remember that, he was a UN rep and also was very concerned about the growing influence of the Sith Lords (really who isn't?)

Kestrel

Kestrel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

I just found out about this wonderful bit of casting, and came here to write the same thing, but you beat me to it!

In other casting news, I only recently learned that Jennifer Ehle was originally cast as Catelyn Stark but was replaced by Michelle Fairley after the pilot was shot. Not that Fairley has been a bad choice, but I've always loved Ehle since P&P and would have preferred her in the role.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

I think I've pretty much seen all the adult cast in various things. Though Emilia Clarke who has almost no credits to her name is one of the early stand outs for me.

I just found out about this wonderful bit of casting, and came here to write the same thing, but you beat me to it!

Yep, it's almost better than when I head Peter Dinklage was Tyrion.

The funny thing is, I bet that Ronon and Khal Drogo would get along like a house on fire.

I assume Ronon was one of the reasons he was cast in this, since they are basically the same archetype, although Ronon was more overtly a sweetheart under the "big guy" attitude than Drogo.

I wish we'd gotten to see Jennifer Ehle as Cat, that would have been great, not that MF hasn't been doing well.

fallingfortruth

fallingfortruth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 2:12 PM

According to Wikipedia Emilia Clarke is an Oxford graduate and a Drama Centre London alum, so it doesn't really surprise me that she's doing phenomenally well given the sort of character that Dany is. Method acting is always sort of an iffy proposition for me, but for a character that has so much going on internally in the books, it seems like it would be the only way to get that across truthfully on screen, and she's doing a phenomenal job of it.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Though Emilia Clarke who has almost no credits to her name is one of the early stand outs for me.

The only thing I'd seen her in was the series of domestic violence adverts for Samartins she did. Basically the same face she made all through episode one! http://youtu.be/AtjeDEectH8

Zhuangzi

Zhuangzi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 4:51 AM

Sean Bean is also great as a totally out-of-his-depth walt in Ronin.

Roger Allam is particularly good as a veteran Conservative shadow minister (loosely modeled on Kenneth Clarke) in season three of the Thick of It.

Aside form his most famous role as Michael Armstrong aka "Lurch" in Hot Fuzz Rory McCann has a nice little gig in State of Play (the (much better) TV series) as a police detective who manages to squeeze in a fair amount of flirting and Glasgow-Edinburgh joshing with with Kelly McDonald in between tying up his shoelaces.