My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

• Please log in to reply

1131 replies to this topic

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

She designed her own wedding dress, which features a huge Victorian-style skirt hoop and three petticoats. The see-through bodice is decorated with Swarovski crystals, as are the hearts on the billowing skirt.

As she proudly shows off the show-stopping dress, Cheyenne tells me how she turned down an offer from Thelma Madine, the top gypsy wedding gown maker.

She says: “She called me after she heard I was engaged but I was like, ‘No thanks!’ I hate her dresses, they’re too sticky-outie.

Thank goodness she went somewhere else and got a dress that wasn't "too sticky-outie," but just "sticky-outie" enough, LOL.

Interesting that Thelma calls around to generate business. This show makes it sounds like gypies are beating down her door for dresses. I wonder if this show will ultimately hurt her business as gypsies, always looking to outdo each other, start searching for a dressmaker who can give them something different from everyone else.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I was bugged when the producer kept asking about Cheyenne about her mother as she was getting her make up done. "Let's make her CRY - what great TV" ugh. Leave the kid alone, duh.. she's sad!

I know, right?! I thought that was incredibly douchey of them.

Cheyanne reminded me of Billie Piper in her Dr Who days for some reason.

She did indeed! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought so!

I thought she looked beautiful in her gown and I really do wish her all the best in life.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

On tonight's episode of No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain went to a gypsy bar in Finland. To be honest, I had no idea that there were any gypsies that far north. For some reason, I always assumed that they stayed further south in warmer climates. It would be interesting if MBFGW dealt with some gypsies outside of the UK. The owner of the bar pointed out that the gypsy women there were dressed very conservatively (I guess freezing cold winters with snow aren't the most conducive for crop tops and hot pants) but they seemed a lot more similar to the Romany gypsy stereotype that I had in my head before seeing the Irish travelers.

NYTeacher

NYTeacher

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

My dad was a fresh off the boat Finn and I was born the the 1960's. I wasn't allowed to get me ears pierced because "only gypsies had pierced ears.". So the gypsies have been in Finland for quite some time.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I actually kinda enjoyed thought it was a good season ender. It was nice to Swanley and Josie again. As usual though, Josie moves on the dance floor make the most low rent Tuesday afternoon strippers look classy. I really like Cheyenne and her new hubby even though I thought there were way, way too young for marriage. He was just adorably cute and seemed so incredibly smitten with her. It was nice to see a traveler lad openly declaring himself in love and looking forward to even the most mundane things in life like coming home to his wife. Yeah, he said a few suspect things like molding Cheyenne into what he wanted but compared to the rest he seemed like a catch. I only worry about the couple because he seemed more into Cheyenne than she was into him but it could've been the cameras.

The thing that bothered me about the episode was the commentary which almost had a zoo like aspect to it. They were acting like the travelers were some rare species with completely different feelings, emotions, customs etc., than "normal human beings." They actually said "watch how a traveler girl acts after losing her mother." Really? I guess travelers don't express feeling of grief like us normies. And better yet, gypsies and travelers have a tradition of having the prospective groom ask the father of the girl permission to wed his daughter in a custom called "asking." Wow! Not like that never happen in any other culture known to man besides travelers and gypsies.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I actually kinda enjoyed thought it was a good season ender. It was nice to Swanley and Josie again. As usual though, Josie moves on the dance floor make the most low rent Tuesday afternoon strippers look classy.

Josie is for some reason the worst dancer I have seen on here. Homegirl does not look like she was blessed with the same rythm that all the other girls seem to be born with... I'm remembering her stiff robot like moves on her "hen night". My favorite thing about Josie is her posing in every. damn. picture. For some reason I still love her and Swanley though. They seem like they enjoy each other.
I almost liked Cheyanne's dress? I read somewhere Thelma approached her to make one and she said no. I wouldn't wear it myself, but by "country" standards it actually might blend in with some of the big wedding dresses I have seen in magazines. I felt sad for her planning without her mom. That is a fresh loss, and she is still really young to be dealing with those emotions, much less planning a wedding and changing her lifestyle.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

I liked her dress as well, and thought they should've left it alone about her mom being away, or approached the topic differently. Not sure how exactly. Maybe just asking how she planned to honor her mom on that day. I've heard of receptions in which some people will have a table with a candle and a poem and photo on it, or something.

I didn't like her groom. He was extremely full of himself.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

Say it ain't so. Seems Josie and Swanley the 1st couple featured in the series may be kaput.

Josie and Swanley to Divorce

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Say it ain't so. Seems Josie and Swanley the 1st couple featured in the series may be kaput.

Josie and Swanley to Divorce

If you click the link, you'll notice that Josie's "agent" confirmed this. *eye roll*

I thought gypsies weren't supposed to work for anyone else, save themselves? Or is this the new scam, to be on reality TV?

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Seems Josie and Swanley the 1st couple featured in the series may be kaput.

Oh no, if a couple of fake-baked teenage gypsies living in a trailer can't make it work, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

If you click the link, you'll notice that Josie's "agent" confirmed this. *eye roll*

I thought gypsies weren't supposed to work for anyone else, save themselves? Or is this the new scam, to be on reality TV?

Oh dear god. She has to be totally headed to the UK's Celebrity Big Brother house. Failing that, there's always I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

I am really shocked that they're divorcing though. Who's going to clean Swanley's trailer?

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

But is an Agent in the UK the same as an Agent in the US? That's not another term for lawyer (other than barrister?) is it?

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Same usage as in the States.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

What, Josie and Swanley didn't make it? Don't all successful partnerships begin with a 'grabbing' followed by a rush to the altar?

And they knew each other so well.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

What, Josie and Swanley didn't make it? Don't all successful partnerships begin with a 'grabbing' followed by a rush to the altar?

I think Josie and Swanley met on Facebook? (maybe that was another couple). Just goes to show... only grabs lead to successful marriages (I kid).

GingerCat69

GingerCat69

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Apparently they are splitting due to money problems. Supposedly Swanley was spending all their savings on himself and his family but couldn't afford to by Josie any maternity clothes. Here's another link: I’ll BURN my wedding dress after splitting up with that liar .

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

There was another couple that broke up. I can't remember their names but she was an "older" bride maybe 24 who had been allowed to finish school and had worked until the wedding. Even at the wedding she was crying and upset.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Wow. The first picture they used for that article left me speechless. The fake pout plus the insane amount of blush, the requisite cleavage, and the fact that her skirt is so short you CAN'T SEE IT - I have no words.

And her sister's name is Berry? Sheesh.

It sucks that Swanley lied to her, but better she find out now while she's still young enough to get out and start over. I did love her insane belief that she would be a lady of leisure only to learn that she had to spend four hours a day cleaning. HELLO!

If she needs money, wouldn't it be smarter to sell her wedding dress than to burn it? Sorry, I was busy being practical. Way to show Swanley that she doesn't hate him.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, May 30, 2012 @ 12:00 AM.

GingerCat69

GingerCat69

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 4:54 AM

There was another couple that broke up.

That would be Joan, she left her husband when she was 8 months pregnant. Her family took back in and helped her rather than kicking her to the curb alone and pregnant. Here's a link to her story Joan's Story

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Interesting comments from rightfully pissed off citizens. A pay out from a system they don't pay into and what abut the people who have to live near their camps and filth? You know, the ones who pay into the system? They get squat,

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Wow. The first picture they used for that article left me speechless. The fake pout plus the insane amount of blush, the requisite cleavage, and the fact that her skirt is so short you CAN'T SEE IT - I have no words.

I have three: Lindsay Lohan's doppleganger.

And in that article, Josie talks about Swanley telling her how many beers she can/can't have at the pub. I thought gypsy girls didn't drink??

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Apparently they are splitting due to money problems. Supposedly Swanley was spending all their savings on himself and his family but couldn't afford to by Josie any maternity clothes

Who needs maternity clothes? They wear belly shirts and let it all hang out anyway.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

IIRC, during S1 they said gypsy girls can't drink before they're married but the boys are allowed to drink as much as they like at any age.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Apparently they are splitting due to money problems. Supposedly Swanley was spending all their savings on himself and his family but couldn't afford to by Josie any maternity clothes

I find it hard to see Josie as the poor victim in all this, especially after the episode with her wearing the ankle bracelet because she got in a fight with a girl at a wedding. You are so sad you ran out, called a magazine, plastered your face in makeup, and wore a skirt so short it isn't visisible in pictures? The cross necklace is a nice touch. It screams publicity to me. (though if what Swanley did is true, that is awful. I guess I'm just of the mindset that if your child does not have food, and your husband is not providing as you feel he should be, no matter what your culture or beliefs are, get off your ass and find a job to feed your child).

I did feel sad for Joan- because in her episode, you could tell she wasn't looking forward to being a wife to her husband and that she was being treated as though she was an old maid who would be put out to pasture soon. I'm actually glad she split from her husband and is trying to make her own life, though I could do without the repeated news articles.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I just discovered this show & I've been watching it on OnDemand so I haven't seen all the episodes yet, but WOW, talk about a different world! I had no idea this kind of thing existed. All those poor girls who really mean nothing in their society getting married at 16 is so sad. They're completely uneducated & have been trained from birth to do nothing but cook, clean, & raise children. This makes me wonder, while the daughters are cooking, cleaning, & raising their siblings, what are the mothers doing all day? Watching? Other things I wonder about:
  • The wedding dresses! Oh my! They were like circus dresses, something you would see under the big top when the circus staged a wedding LOL. I can actually understand it though, this is the only day in their lives when these girls are going to have value, I guess they want to make the most of it.
  • The weddings themselves were poorly attended, & a lot of the people who came were really dressed inappropriately. For people who are supposed to be very religious, they didn't seem to care much about the religious ceremony part.
  • If nobody gets an invitation to the wedding & people just show up after hearing about it by word of mouth, how do they know how much food/seating they need for the reception?
  • GRABBING-This is just awful!! I don't understand how a society that won't let their daughters out of the house without permission & someone with them is OK with a boy sexually attacking & physically hurting them as some kind of courtship ritual. If these girls really are virgins when they marry, I shudder to think what a nightmare their wedding nights are.
  • How much cleaning do those tiny caravans need? They all seemed to clean the exact same way, with a cloth (no sponges or mops) & a plastic bowl, & everything already looked spotless. Why do they have to spend hours every day cleaning the same things over & over?

I'll have to watch the rest of the shows, I think they have them all, so it should be interesting.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Welcome to the horror!

If nobody gets an invitation to the wedding & people just show up after hearing about it by word of mouth, how do they know how much food/seating they need for the reception?

They don't. In some episodes, they tell the caterers that there could be 100 people or a couple hundred people and they just expect the poor caterers to have enough food for everyone. That's just one reason why venues don't like to deal with them/rent to them.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

r, while the daughters are cooking, cleaning, & raising their siblings, what are the mothers doing all day?

Shoplifting and other criminal scams.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I just saw the episode with the non traveller girl marrying the traveller boy. Her family was more traveller than the travellers were, I think they had traveller blood & just didn't know it. The little girls at the communion, oh no, no, no, no. They were dressed like tiny hookers & danced like they were looking for tips. That is just wrong.

I meant to ask, was this series really a big hit in England? It seems like they keep showing the same scenes over & over in every episode so I'm wondering it it's been recut for America & they tried to make it longer than it originally was.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

The original British Channel4 version is different than the one they play on TLC. I'm not observant enough to notice different editing but the narrator is not the same and gives slightly different information. I believe the British incarnation to be far superior.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

Thanks, maybe I'll try & track down the British version then.