My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

• Please log in to reply

1131 replies to this topic

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

The word "gorger" stood out to me in this episode, has it been used before, because I remember Paddy in the first season used the term "country" to describe non-travelers. I guess that could be one of the differences between Irish and Romany travelers.

I know they have used the term "gorger" before (in S1). Apparently the origin of the word is either gadje, gorjo, or gorgio. I do remember some of the other people using the term "country people" too so I think it's a regional difference or they are used interchangeably. I only watched the first season of The Riches, but I remember liking it. I'll have to check it out again now that I can compare it to this show.

barkley

barkley

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

I just couldn't muster up a whole lot of sympathy for the couple who had their wedding planner ditch on them with their money.

Ohdog

Ohdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

It's probably a smart move for these cretins to bring in an occasional "gorger". At least one person in the caravan park would know how to read.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

The taunt from Rumer Godden's book,"The Diddakoi" went through my mind with this one,"Gypsy, gypsy joker get a red hot poker." The tensions betwen gorgers and gypsies hasn't cooled much since then. If you watch an hour of Gypsy Wedding,an hour of Toddlers and Tiaras and an hour of the Duggars then drive past Barnard College I'll bet your head will explode.

The lifestyle coupled with the cultural pride is what gets me. Can't order a curry take away? No, I'm proudly illiterate! My two year old dressed as a street walker to be ogled by men? Oh heck why not? Renouncing 99.99% of the world because it's the "other"? It's my heritage y'know.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

The lifestyle coupled with the cultural pride is what gets me. Can't order a curry take away? No, I'm proudly illiterate! My two year old dressed as a street walker to be ogled by men? Oh heck why not? Renouncing 99.99% of the world because it's the "other"? It's my heritage y'know.

The refusing to read or receive a basic education thing always confuses me. The last time it was universally accepted to be functionally illiterate was around the Middle Ages. So, their "heritage" is to keep it medieval? Also, if they're so damned proud of their seeming inability to read, why the hell are they all walking around with smartphones? You have to be able to read a little to use them!

Plus, mobile homes, booty shorts and expensive cars weren't around then. Gosh, maybe they should re-think their stance.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

Tony may be a narcissistic, misogynistic asshole, but he's hot.

Nice enough build, but not really all that great-looking. He's better looking than most of the dudes on the show, but that isn't saying much. JMHO, of course.

I'm really kind of intrigued by his scenario. Sammi Jo said something once about a girl who "had a baby and isn't even married!" and said she was "scandalized" and no one would have her now. Who is Tony's first baby mama? It's okay that he's had four out-of-wedlock children?

(And apparently it's not all that rare-- the couple renewing their vows had been married "almost ten years," and yet their daughter was already ten.)

And while Danielle makes money by taking off her top for money, I find it laughable that Tony's family was so appalled by it. So, it's not okay to do it for a living, but perfectly acceptable to show it all off for free?

Edited by MsSweatpants, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:14 PM.

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

So, their "heritage" is to keep it medieval?

Whilst dancing like Shakira. Dressed as a pineapple.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

So, their "heritage" is to keep it medieval?

Whilst dancing like Shakira. Dressed as a pineapple.

No, JCVinEden, Shakira has rhythm.

All kidding aside, while I'm pretty sure that the featured players on MBFGW are compensated for their participation, I always wondered why the British decided this was worth filming. I mean, I'm sure they've seen the Gypsies/Travellers before. Then I realized: they're WARNING the populace. It's like COPS, or any one of those MSNBC documentaries. It's almost as if they're saying "This could happen to you!"

The funniest thing to me is that the English/British stereotype of the genteel folk of the countryside, or the polished, metropolitan London-dweller, were all we were ever exposed to for years in America. (Well, that and Oliver Twist.) Now, Americans know that there are hillbillies/rednecks in the UK, as well.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Ha, all they need is Chris Hansen telling them to "Have a seat over there."

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Now, Americans know that there are hillbillies/rednecks in the UK, as well.

Ah you never heard of Steptoe and Son the show that spawned Sanford and Son?

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

Ah you never heard of Steptoe and Son the show that spawned Sanford and Son?

I had only heard of Steptoe and Son in the ending credits for Sanford and Son. What's the correlation, as it pertains to MBFGW?

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:43 AM

Now, Americans know that there are hillbillies/rednecks in the UK, as well.

The participants on this show seem more like suburban/urban trash to me-- very Jersey Shore.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

I had only heard of Steptoe and Son in the ending credits for Sanford and Son. What's the correlation, as it pertains to MBFGW?

Simple it showed that there were various types of English people such as rough working class people who happened to be dirt poor that used extremely crass language as well as Cockney Rhyming slang and violence when the rest of Brit tv showed British people as being cultured and refined.

Yes Steptoe and Son was remade into Sanford and Son in the US and it was remade in several other countries.

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

No, JCVinEden, Shakira has rhythm.

I said Shakira because some 4 year old in season 1 said Shakira was the inspiration for their dancing. Which confused me beyond all reason. These gypsy girls look like they're dancing like Shakira moments after a hip replacement. Dressed as a pineapple.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

I remember one said she got dancing inspiration from Beyonce or something. You bet they are probably booty poppin', it's just too over the top to show that coming from an 11 year old.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Has there ever been any explanation on this show about what the brides do with their enormous dresses after the wedding? Considering that they live in tiny trailers, I cannot imagine they keep them there. I also assume that they don't pass the dresses to other women, since it seems that each bride wants to do something new.

Interesting article about the show, with an estimate as to what these weddings cost:

http://www.dailymail...0-000-cost.html

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

Reality Chaser - I've wondered the very same thing, as some Travelers live in a trailer that's a teeney-tiny six-by-ten ! Good Lord, how do you even BREATHE in a space that small ? My BATHROOM is bigger than that ! Hell, my camping trailer was bigger than that for just TWO people for a few days at a time. I'd go apeshit-crazy living in a place like that. I'm betting that the HAVE to have some kind of off-site storage, as you could not possibly keep ALL of your clothes, linens, etc, in a space that small.

On the other hand, it's much easier to clean, as they wipe down EVERY surface with the soap/bleach/water mixture at least twice a day. I wonder what the people with the ginormous houses do, as you cannot physically clean THAT much space twice a day. Every "real" house I've seen has been SPOTLESS, though. Sure, decorated like a Real Housewives of Manchester explosion, but still spotless. (Hangs head in shame as I see my dusty baseboards)

Just out of curiosity, is the exposed midriff/muffin-top combo a "thing" for them ? Not that I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds, no judgement here, but just because you CAN wear something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Sometimes I watch this show and think "My eyes ! My eyes". And there's no way to UN-see it. Yuk.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I seem to remember an episode with a red headed bride named Lizzie (she was the one who's groom had his face blurred out and was sad that the bride on the top of her cake didn't have red hair)had a little snippet at the end showing her very frustrated sister trying to stuff all the layers of crinoline and "sticky outy" into their family trailer. Not sure if that's what every family does, but in this case it certainly seemed like the bride's family stored the dress. It might make sense to try and save it- if you have more girls, chances are they could try and reuse all the layers of crinoline.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

chances are they could try and reuse all the layers of crinoline.

True. The underskirts are probably generic. Maybe they use the dress itself to make curtains, a bedspread and a tablecloth for the trailer...

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:06 AM

It might make sense to try and save it- if you have more girls, chances are they could try and reuse all the layers of crinoline.

I'd be pretty impressed with them if that's the case. So far, the brides on this show have been a study in excess and waste.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

You divorce your husband and your father calls you a 'ore. You have two kids out of wedlock and it has disgraced me family. So, like all rational women of a certain age, you double down on your custom-made, Polish hooters, throw a bachelorette party worthy of Bourbon Street, and then wake up from the horror movie that is your life to flee to a motel with your children and your pride. My Big Fat Gypsy Reality Check, featuring four innocent kids.

Other gems reveal that sneaking out of the house at 15 to share a few hours with a boyfriend means a shotgun wedding.

A 50 something is an "old man" because like in most gangs, the leader has been beaten, shot and ambushed outside of his home. His boy wants to settle the score. Blood will flow. Vengeance is...something. I can't get the lines that don't get sub-titled.

It wasn't surprising that Paddy lamented these new bloods don't honor the old ways. That's the same thing you hear from middle-aged Crips, Bloods and Mafiosos. (The ones who survive to age 50). Supposed to be lawless within parameters. Aye these lads...

Then the young gay traveller. No surprise that his father disowned him at first then warmed up, but I fear that the kid's risk of injury isn't from the garden-variety homophobe but the bully who sneaked up on Paddy. You know, his own tribe.

Edited by TedHinD, Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:58 AM.

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Vengeance is...something. I can't get the lines that don't get sub-titled.

That's one better than me. I can't even get the teeny weeny subtitles.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

You divorce your husband and your father calls you a 'ore. You have two kids out of wedlock and it has disgraced me family. So, like all rational women of a certain age, you double down on your custom-made, Polish hooters, throw a bachelorette party worthy of Bourbon Street, and then wake up from the horror movie that is your life to flee to a motel with your children and your pride. My Big Fat Gypsy Reality Check, featuring four innocent kids.

I wonder what rocked the boat making her leave. Her fiance seemed OK. He was a non-Traveler who took care of the kids when she was getting the (unneeded) new boobs, and told her he loved her with or with monstrous boobs.

I'm surprised that plastic surgery for the women is against Traveler rules. The girls who were looking at the work looked a little jealous.

The gay Traveler seemed a bit slow. That was interesting, though. I wonder how much, if any, "undercover activity" goes that people don't talk about.

Paddy's poor wife. At least she finally got some peace. I hope. But she had to leave her house with the "PD" on the gate. Definitely don't blame Rosanne's (the young bride) sister for not wanting to deal with the same garbage as she's seen in her life.

I thought I heard Thelma the dressmaker say that the dresses were reused, or at least the crinolines were only rentals so they didn't have to store those.

Edited by isiscloud, Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:30 AM.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Paddy's poor wife. At least she finally got some peace. I hope. But she had to leave her house with the "PD" on the gate.

They moved the house with them. I didn't notice if the gate went too.

I thought I heard Thelma the dressmaker say that the dresses were reused, or at least the crinolines were only rentals so they didn't have to store those.

I hear that too but can't see how the could be recycled when every bride wants to design from scratch.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

We've been told the last few visits that Paddy is a Gypsy tough man who runs the show and now we are being told that since he is 51 he is in his dotage living out his final months with his devoted son. Sounds good.

Who gets new boobs and doesn't know the size? Love the post baptism party. Wonder who was watching the poor illegitimate child. Hope he wasn't in a blinged out pram at the club. But honestly, that whole situation was sad. Her saying "I hope you wake up with hair so you don't look like your father anymore" isn't something you say! Wonder if it was an older or younger kid (gypsy father or non-gypsy father though it looked like the older kids called the non guy dad)

Was that the gay kid we saw kissing someone at Pride? He struck me as someone who is gay but hasn't done anything about it yet. And was his sister channeling Amy Winehouse?

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

you double down on your custom-made, Polish hooters

I'd love to know why she went to Poland to get those massive bowling balls implanted. Surely they have unscrupulous plastic surgeons in the UK? And why did she dress up like some Moulin Rouge can can dancer?

I wonder what rocked the boat making her leave. Her fiance seemed OK. He was a non-Traveler who took care of the kids when she was getting the (unneeded) new boobs, and told her he loved her with or with monstrous boobs.

That left me baffled, too. He was very complimentary towards her AND he wasn't awful enough when she made three babies with him and now all of a sudden she realizes he's a creep? And what's with the 90s fades on these men's heads (and faces)? What kind of two-decades old, sad time warp do they live in?

So many questions.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Maybe Poland is the new Spain?

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I appreciate that they've started going a little deeper, exploring the inner lives of these unfortunate young people. No one seems happy to be following the Traveler lifestyle, and the girls are rebelling and starting to forge their own lives. I can see the women leaving the caravans behind, leaving the illiterate blockheads behind.

Clive must have had a bad temper off-screen for Priscilla to up and leave him. But I wonder how she earns an income to support four kids.

I like that Paddy is ready to embrace his position as an old man; I'm ten years older than he is, and I don't think it's my time to be put out to pasture. I think the life expectancy is quite low, probably due to infectious diseases in childhood, and young men losing their lives in fights, car crashes, etc. All the adults I've seen look older than their counterparts here. The women burn out early (which is why the girls are starting to rebel) and the men show all the acts of violence on their faces (and ears.)

When is the American version going to be shown? They keep promoting it but they just keep talking about Gypsy Wedding Weekend.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

The American version starts next Sunday.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Did they show the graphic images of Paddy on the American version, or was it blurred out?