My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

• Please log in to reply

1131 replies to this topic

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Well, I can feel for them, because I sprouted boobs at 8, and got my full "D" rack in by 14.

Me too, but I was the anomaly in my class and neighborhood. These big-bosomed, full-hipped 8 year olds seem to be the norm. There is absolutely no variation in young female body type, which is...odd. Ugh. Watching this show has turned me into a skeevy, ill-informed, white, male, 18th century naturalist making generalizations about the sexual norms of an entire population of women based on the physical characteristcs of a small sample.

Edited by JCVinEden, Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:04 PM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

They do seem to have an obsession with being 'Spanish.' I remember last season how one of the women went on and on about looking/being Spanish-inspired.

I don't know about any cultural tie but I assume the Spain/Spanish 'thing' is due to it being THE vacation spot for Brits and Irish. Places like Marbella, Malaga` and Palma may as well adopt English as an official language.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Spoiler

MissMally

MissMally

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

Well I'll be the first one to say it. That dress was a Cat-astrophe.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

I can't imagine having a Baby Phat knock off themed wedding.

I also love how the girl in the opening credits says, "Diamonds, has to be lots and lots of diamonds." Uhhh, those aren't real diamonds, girls.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

I also love how the girl in the opening credits says, "Diamonds, has to be lots and lots of diamonds." Uhhh, those aren't real diamonds, girls.

I believe the episode was titled "Diamantes Are a Girl's Best Friend." Well done, producers.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:29 AM

Just watched episode 2.7:
Spoiler

scorpia

scorpia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

The 12 year old going to her first communion (I think her name was Bridget) could have easily passed for 16 years old.

She was at the beauty pageant too, right? My husband walked in the room at that point, made the obvious observations, then wanted to be sick when I told him the one girl was 12.

They must have a piss poor diet, among the other travesties of this lifestyle, because many of them fill out those outfits a little too much in the belly for such young women.

I liked when the man booking the pageant was talking to the owner / manager and made some comment like, "Yeah, it's not bare knuckle boxing.", because yes, that is a possibility.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

How did I miss the fact that she actually had "Baby Phat" written across the bottom of her dress? I must've been too mesmerized by the cats. Kimora Lee must be wetting herself.

Ladi Izz

Ladi Izz

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

How did I miss the fact that she actually had "Baby Phat" written across the bottom of her dress? I must've been too mesmerized by the cats. Kimora Lee must be wetting herself.

Damn, I didn't see that either. And it's spelled "Phatt" to avoid trademark issues? No, that can't be right because I've seen Chanel's logo slapped on everything on this show.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

@ElectricBoogalo
Spoiler

Jen1n

Jen1n

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I didn't notice the "Baby Phatt" on her dress either..guess there was too many other.. umm.. interesting things to look at!

I couldn't figure out if the things wrapped around her arms were supposed to be cat-related (like tails) or just a part of the dress design.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Wow, what a sad episode. Aside from the 'bachelorette' party and the horse race, it was so downbeat. Poor girls, hubby in jail, getting evicted, hubby might go to jail.

I know this is going to sound snotty, but I know that Mary talked a good game about her family being free and folks in houses suffocating...until she was in a field with no electricity, water, or gas. Suddenly, "The sunbed goes here, and we're going to expand this into a gym..." *rolls eyes*

I hope it gets upbeat soon.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

What fascinated me was that the grandmother smacked down the revealing dresses, saying they weren't dressing like that until recently. I thought that was just how they dressed all this time.

I wondered where and when the shift came and how much the old 'gypsy' look with the long, layered skirts and peasanty tops is a work of fiction or stereotyping or is more Romani or what. It doesn't really make sense, given their general conservatism with regard to female sexuality, that the girls dress like such low-rent strippers and '80s era trashy street hookers.

I'm also kind of fascinated by the genetics that keeps them so sortof similar looking, in general - with the build, hair, etc. I do actually appreciate that they look healthy though. They seem to all, as a group, find a normal weight attractive and desirable. There haven't been any superskinny girls I recall seeing, nor any real talk about anyone's weight. It's preferable to admire skanky but normal to the Paris Hilton skanky but emaciated, imo.

Maybe it's a fertility thing, with the decently fat-padded (I don't mean they're fat I mean they have a seemingly generally healthy, appropriate level of abdominal and body fat, which also bolsters the boob size) abdomen and hips and larger breasts signalling fertility that makes it attractive to them, given their life goals.

The names are fascinating to me as well. Nan-girl and Boo? Wtf? It seems infantilizing and signalling that they won't need actual adult identities but I dunno if I'm reading that into it.

The "Spanish" dresses were amazing. Agree that girl desperately needs a thesaurus and some life experience.

The makeup on Cat Bride was... unwise.

How come there was no hooha about hiding they were Gypsies and people cancelling parties and events and whatnot? They made such a todo of that last season and this episode they were on about how there were so many parties and never a word I noticed.

That little jackhole getting his hair did was no surprise save for the highlighting shower cap deal. What year is it up there?

Edited by beezer, Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:59 AM.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

The 15 year old whose fiancee faced jail time looked like any other 15 year old. It was actually refreshing, after seeing that communion family where the 8 year old was showing the beginnings of puberty.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

One thing that has been a lot more noticeable to me this season is how judgmental the travelers are about "country people" aka non-travelers. They really like to paint these horrible pictures of the way country people live (trapped in houses without any freedom, being raped in parking lots, single moms, doing drugs, etc) but I doubt they deal with non-travelers enough to form informed opinions. Instead they're just repeating the boogeyman stories that their parents tell them so that they'll never want to leave the traveler community.

One guy said that if he knocks on a door and asks for work, they'll hear his accent and immediately say no but if an English person knocks on the same door, the English guy will get hired. Now let me preface this by saying I do believe the travelers when they say non-travelers make assumptions about them and judge them and prejudice exists. I get all that. HOWEVER, this guy was making a huge assumption without any actual, you know, facts. How does he know this is true? Did he peel away from the traveler pack long enough to make friends with a non-traveler and ask him to participate in a social experiment wherein they would both knock on doors asking for work? If not, then I'd kindly ask him to STFU because if anyone knocked on my door and asked for work, I would say no regardless of their accents or my assumptions about their ethnic background. Why? Because I don't hire people who knock on my door.

To be honest, I'm not British so my untrained ear doesn't hear the difference between a traveler accent and other regional English accents. I can differentiate between posh English, cockney English, Irish, and Scottish but I have a pretty hard time distinguishing between the different English accents. The only thing I've noticed about the travelers on this show is that they love to end every other sentence with a smushed together version of "do you know what I mean?"

But my point is that in this particular example, he's making a lot of assumptions, the first being that the people whose doors he is knocking on want to hire someone to do something in the first place. If they don't, then of course they're going to say no, regardless of his accent or other indicators of being a traveler. And call me crazy, but if I needed someone to tar my driveway or do other household work, I would, you know, do some internet research and contact a reputable local business. I would not wait until some random person knocked on my door. "Oh, thank heavens you're here! I have been waiting for someone to offer their services to me so I've had a huge crack in my driveway for two years!"

And then let's turn it around. If some random "country person" who he didn't know banged on the door of his trailer and asked if he could do some work for him, would he hire this stranger? Would he trust a person he has never met before to do the work competently, not bother his wife and children, break or steal something, etc.? Maybe I'm a paranoid person but I don't let random strangers who knock on my door into my home (yeah, I probably watch too many tv shows where bad things happen when you do that) because no, you don't know what they're going to do. But if he wouldn't hire a non-traveler person who just showed up at his trailer door, why should he expect country people to hire him when he shows up completely unsolicited?

I also got annoyed when some of the travelers complained about getting kicked out of the fields where they've settled and having to move again. Isn't the point of refusing to live in a house that they don't want to live in one place forever? So they can, you know, TRAVEL? And one girl complained about not having water or electricity after they got kicked off one site. If their trailers aren't equipped to provide them with those things, then does that mean they were getting their power and water illegally from the previous site? If that's the case, gee, I can't understand why the country people don't want you stealing those resources. If you want power and water that badly, you can pay for it legally. When I see luxury sedans parked next to a trailer, I'm pretty sure you can afford to pay for utilities.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:17 AM.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

When they picked up sticks and ran in the middle of the night, was that field they "settled in" the local playground or football pitch? It was surrounded on all sides by houses.

The mother of communion girl probably put down them not being able to see daddy on father's day because of gypsy prejudice, not, you know, the rules. They are treated ever so much worse than other prisoners. Maybe they should teach that to the younger boys so that they avoid jail. But wait! The police pick on them specifically so its a catch 22. (sarcasm off)

Was it my tv or was the captions on Brendan very small? I'm usually good with deciphering words but he really was a mush mouth in addition to his accent.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

I thought the same thing because the narrator said the communion girl and mom arrived X minutes late but then they said that visiting hours were over, which really means that they arrived X minutes AFTER visiting hours were over (I'm pretty sure I saw the clock on the wall behind them which is why I thought that when I watched it). Now I understand that traffic sucked, but if visiting hours are over at, say, 4pm, and you show up at 4:20pm then when was your actual appointment? Not at 4pm. I don't know what the exact rules are there, but I'm pretty sure that your appointment time has to be BEFORE visiting hours are over so that you have to leave at 4pm. Remember when they left late after communion and the mom said that she was afraid if they arrived more than 15 minutes late they wouldn't be allowed to see the dad/husband.

Heh, I was rolling my eyes when the mom said it was SO unfair and this was supposed to be the happiest day of her daughter's life but she was crying and upset because the mean old people at the jail wouldn't let her in to see her dad. Never mind that all the people who showed up on time got to have their visits on Father's Day. And hey, all the people who weren't in jail got to see their kids on Father's Day too! But of course all the blame lies with the mean old police who (1) arrested him for breaking the law and (2) wouldn't break the rules about visiting hours. OBVIOUSLY the guy who broke the law and the mom who didn't give herself enough time to get there bear no blame at all. They're being persecuted!

And yes, the captions were TINY. I've worked with a lot of people with different accents so I usually have no problem understanding what people are saying, but I agree - Brendan was not pronouncing things very clearly. There were a few times when he said something so incomprehensible that I just laughed instead of trying to figure out what he said.

AmyLynnEsq

AmyLynnEsq

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Everytime I watch this show, I am shocked at the little girls dancing provocatively. Just so sad.

When the bride walked out in her batchelorette party get up, she looked like she was wearing a hooker!bride Halloween costume. Good lord!

From what I gather, the travelers will latch onto any undeveloped patch of land, but mostly greenbelts which have been set aside in urban areas to preserve some undeveloped land. They take these nice pieces of land and then leave them in absolutely shiteous condition. IIRC the thread last season had links to some pictures of what their plots would look like after they leave.

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I have to say that the pineapple and palm tree dresses just cracked me up! And Kitty bride? HILARIOUS! Then the other thing that made me laugh out loud were all the little girls going to their first communion. The priest started on time, they were late (of course) and they just RAN into the church and sat down! Tres hysterical!! I absolutely LOVE this show for all the hilarity.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Maybe these producers weren't given much positive footage from these people, but I can't help watch and think that the honeymoon is over. Pun there intended or not. Between the footage of the mother feeding her daughter lines as if the cameras aren't going to pick it up no matter how softer her voice gets as the interview goes on to the whining and sniveling entitlement of last night.

I loved how dim the one guy was in that he assumed the workers he saw being employed in neighborhoods had walked up to the door and tried to sell their services. Instead of actually being contacted for a specific task by the person doing the employing. Maybe he is completely honest and maybe it is unfair to paint every traveler with the stereotype of grifter. But the stereotype came about because these was a raft of fraud involving travelers/gypsies doing the knock on the door to tell you you have shutters ready to fall off or roof damage or driveway issues. It, of course, never seems to occur to him that he not get whatever job he is prepared to do or pretend to do when he presents himself. And his smirking when discussing his legal problems nicely skirted over the fact whether he had done the crime and immediately wallowed in self-pity that whatever he was forced to do was not his fault since someone wasn't giving the job he wanted.

The pony racing people just make my blood boil. They have this sense that the road is theirs simply because it is there. And that anyone else using it has to cede to their dangerous games of entitlement. Funny how they are all about old tradition and yet lark around in their motorized vehicles to not only get to the race but actually monitor and carry the race out. So the idea that it somehow is a cultural preservation issue is ridiculous.

And it seems to me the racing aspect of their culture is incredibly confrontational. I think mocking the law and pissing off non travelers is a huge part of the whole race. There are plenty of slow country lanes they could do a fast blockade of to carry out their race. There are probably fields with dirt lanes they could use. I think they love dragging the police out knowing for the most part they will carry out their lark and get away with it. If the police don't arrive too late I suspect the race is considered a failure. Certainly it looked like they wanted the police to show up for the filming as I think they could have loaded both trailers pretty much in the same amount of time instead of letting the pair of ponies graze along the berm.

And then the mother moaning and groaning about her situation. After sniping about how non travelers are so stupid and ignorant because they might have an issue with someone having a horse in estate housing. Obviously a horse is not just like a cat or a dog. And then after high tailing it out of one squat leaving what I thought was, if not a huge mess, still a nasty amount of litter left for someone else to clean up, she parks on another area of developed property's common ground and snivels about how unfair it is that she has no hot water or power etc. It's hard to feel sorry for a functioning adult who shits herself and then complains about the smell instead changing her clothes and washing herself off.

Yeah hot water and power tend to come with houses that don't consider a horse a common pet. It was amazing how entitled and smug she was at the start and how quickly it all fell away.

But over all it was the incredible level of immature entitlement that really came across as a culture. The whining and sniveling when they simply saw someone not just letting them do whatever they wanted wherever and whenever. It was like the producers of the show went from fascinated charmed-in-spite-of-themselves by the whole garish and bad boy culture in season one to keying the ex's car and throwing all his stuff out in the rain season two. I wonder if this will be the trend or if there will be some kind of redemption arc like they tried with the horse fair episode?

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I agree, heebiejeebie, it does seem like the producers are doing a 180 from 'oh, how quaint!' to 'do you believe this shit?' One of my biggest questions is, how can they afford these things? The huge dresses, catered weddings carriages, etc. are pricey (if tacky) and it takes money. So, if they can't work, how can they afford it? You can't have it both ways.

Also, I noticed they have nice cars, plasma TVs, and even the trailers look brand-new. I live in a mobile home in Georgia, but the ones here are stationary, and we pay rent for the property, utilities, taxes, etc., and even a new trailer doesn't look as new as the caravans on this show. Again, how do they afford it?

Bottom line, I do wonder if the producers of this show are trying to subtly expose the Gypsies/Travellers to the rest of the world, not as an extension of understanding, but an revelation of what some English and Irish "country people" might have already known.

To the European posters: is my understanding correct that the "council estates' are the same as the American 'housing projects', i.e., low-income housing? The girls on the show have mentioned 'council estates' or 'estates' as the kind of residence they fear, so I wondered if it was the same thing?

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:22 PM.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

IIRC the thread last season had links to some pictures of what their plots would look like after they leave.

That's on page 42 - post by blue skies if anyone hasn't seen it.
extremely littered camp site
Not as bad as the field after Woodstock, but still pretty deplorable. If that's how they leave the land they camped on, I wouldn't want them camping near me either!

*edited to add a direct link to the post*

Edited by saladshooter, Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:25 PM.

Ladi Izz

Ladi Izz

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

God help me, where do I begin? I guess with Ambrose and the horse racing. He actually said the police make a liar out of you when they asked if he was racing. How about you just not race? That looked crazy and dangerous as hell. Then the older man at the end saying motorists should get out of their way because horses were here before cars. What kind of bass ackwards thinking is that?

Was it my tv or was the captions on Brendan very small? I'm usually good with deciphering words but he really was a mush mouth in addition to his accent.

The captions were super small and they didn't put up everything Brendan was saying. I ended up having to put on Closed Caption. One thing I didn't understand about his fiancee was why was she having her Hen Night so early. When Brendan went to court, they said his court date had been pushed back to April, but they were getting married in May. I've never heard of a bride-to-be's Hen Night/Bachelorette Party be months before the actual wedding.

I'm also kind of fascinated by the genetics that keeps them so sortof similar looking, in general - with the build, hair, etc. I do actually appreciate that they look healthy though.

I think most of the Gypsy girls are so well endowed has a lot to do with genetics, and they are slightly inbred. I remember Paddy in the first season saying that none of his kids could marry "country" people. So if you can only marry your kind, which is a small minority, then you're going to end up being closely related to your spouse in a few generations.

The names are fascinating to me as well. Nan-girl and Boo? Wtf? It seems infantilizing and signalling that they won't need actual adult identities but I dunno if I'm reading that into it.

I was so hoping those are just nicknames and not on actual birth certificates.

I know this is going to sound snotty, but I know that Mary talked a good game about her family being free and folks in houses suffocating...until she was in a field with no electricity, water, or gas. Suddenly, "The sunbed goes here, and we're going to expand this into a gym..." *rolls eyes*

I sprained my eyeballs from rolling them so hard at that. I was slightly amused when she went on about having a toilet indoors and how her husband would actually like it. That is something I'm not understanding, if anything I would jump for joy that I wouldn't have to share a port-a-potty with a field of people in line to use it.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

Interesting that this episode is finally - if only slightly - focusing on the sociopathic culture of the "travelers" as opposed to the fashion foibles of the girls.

I think this is quite fairly an entire culture which one can be "prejudiced" against without being politically incorrect because they support themselves through ripping off people -both in the UK and in the US. Fencing which the loutish Brennan was evidently nabbed for is a specialty as are all kinds of other grifting schemes tangentially mentioned in the areas of home repair. I believe many in the US are experienced shoplifting rings.

And yes, just what everyone wants in their small green area - a group of low lives with no sanitation trashing their backyards and stealing away in the dead of night to leave others to clean up. I'm not sure why their asses weren't immediately evicted when the police first showed up.

kauaigirl

kauaigirl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Aloha!

I thought this last episode was really interesting, and yes, it seems that the gloss has worn off the "unique culture" aspect of the Travelers and now it is more "freak show time at the trailer park" (or whatever they call the area they squat on until they are rightfully evicted).

It is so hard to pick out a favorite outfit in all these shows, but those "pineapple" and "palm tree" Spanish (???) themed dresses were hilarious! Oh my God, the colors, the ruffles, the frosted eyeshadow spackled on their faces, where do you even start to talk about those! They could hardly walk as well, and sitting down looked like they needed one of those "slant boards" that the actresses use in period films to rest.

And "Kitty" bride! Which one was she, the palm tree or the pineapple? Either way, the makeup for the wedding dress and hen party was the same. I think it must come in bucket size containers the way they were slapping it all over their faces! As horrific as her makeup and hair were, the wedding dress wasn't actually as terrible as I thought it would be, and that absolutely terrifies me that I'm writing that!

Loved the baker saying that she busts up laughing when she sees people taking those big slabs of "cake" home not knowing they are made of poly-styrene! Yummy!

I have to say that while the vast majority of the people on this show are tremendously unlikable and off their nut, the little girl whose father was in prison and couldn't make her Communion? She was cute and even with that "Gone with the Wind goes bad" dress on, she didn't have the usual orange skin, mega makeup look and she really did get to me. I felt badly for her. Now the mother? That's a whole 'nother thing entirely, not to mention the father in jail.

England has some interesting "squatting" laws as I understand it. There is even a handbook that is out there about how to "squat" in a vacant house or building and make it almost impossible to have the owners evict you. I'm guessing it is the same thing with these open areas that the Travelers "squat" in. Once they are there, it seems like a hard and long road (for the most part) to get them out of there. And remember, they don't use the toilets in their trailers. Gives you cause to think about what that area must be like after they leave.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I find their general attitude to be less entitled and more like "child who does not comprehend the world." Their accusations about the way country people live are overexaggerated generalities, the same way that little kids say that the monster under the bed will get you. Their complaints about the way they're persecuted sounds like a a kid who's been told they can't have candy before dinner or their curfew is earlier than they'd like: "But it's not faaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" They either don't understand or refuse to see why these rules (not stealing, not fighting, not horse racing on the street) exist. All they know is that they're going to bitch and complain, wallow in self pity, then chafe against what they see as being picked on or held back. To quote Eric Cartman, "I'll do what I want!"

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

I was watching something else and they explained this perfectly. What was said was "People want to do what they want to do and don't want to be told they can't".
The Travelers want to do whatever they want and screw the rest of the world. It's not lack of comprehension or persecution, it's selfishness.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

It's a combination of a toddler having a temper tantrum and a teenager doing things to be rebellious and then pouting when they get caught and grounded.