Game of Thrones in the Media

• Please log in to reply

1175 replies to this topic

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I'm a bit hesistant to link to this 'review', which is really not about the show at all, The author gives a back-handed compliment about the shows quality and then goes on a rant about mideval fantasy, it's fans and why they suck

Edited by Barbarossa, Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:04 PM.

jr352

jr352

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I'm a bit hesistant to link to this 'review', which is really not about the show at all, The author gives a back-handed compliment about the shows quality and then goes on a rant about mideval fantasy, it's fans and why they suck

Take it as a good sign that, similar to last season, the only negative reviews clearly have issues with fantasy in general.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Pffft. This ill-disguised rant has zero value to anyone trying to decide whether to watch the show or not. The author has issues, not least of which is his apparent lack of understanding that "magic" and "sorcery" don't count as 2 separate tick marks against the show -- especially when GoT had precious little of it. I think he just cut and pasted this review from some long lost fantasy rant and tried to swap out the names.

Sadly, I think I spent more brain energy writing this than he did with that hatchet job.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Ugh, that's one of my local newspapers too. I always thought critics should be more open-minded about what they write about since a TV/film critic has to review works of all genres. Don't bring your anti-fantasy prejudices into your writing. But considering that the oh-so-illustrious New York Times has the same problem, I shouldn't be that surprised.<br>

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

That's my daily paper and, bitterly, one of my favourite writers. He's even Irish, as am I. I know those legends he referenced and it's because I grew up with those that I came to sci-fi fantasy and its offshoots. And just because it irritated me: I'm a grown woman, not an adolescent boy, and I've never played Dungeons & Dragons in my life. Although I always wanted to!

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Funny comic strip, safe for Unsullied.

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Larry williams has his review up already

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Apparently he's got that ring stuck on his finger again.

Given that text apology for "content," I guess he realized shortly after posting how much he screwed up the whole thing with Stannis and Mellisandre.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Game of Thrones Season Premiere Recap: Dragons, Death and a Very Bad Dad!

Source: e!online

Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Huge leak about plot for Season 2, HBO is not happy!

http://www.tor.com/b...season-2-leaked

Looks like the 10 minute Joffrey slapping video has some competition. I'm sure this will be intermixed with the previous one for more Joffrey slapping goodness.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qERX81cRFKo

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Game of Thrones Scoop: Five Things to Know About What Comes Next!

Source: e!online.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Huge leak about plot for Season 2, HBO is not happy!

http://www.tor.com/b...rones-season-2- leaked

Heh funny, though shame on you for linking to it on the second.

Edited by Marq DeCarabas, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

The series wins a Peabody Award

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

The Times of London (more venerable than the New York Times by quite a few years) gave the episode 4 stars out of 5. (It's showing on Sky Atlantic over there.) A brief excerpt from behind the paywall:

....what elevates Game of Thrones above the gratuitous cut and thrust (sword and pelvic) of Rome, its HBO stablemate, is the wit and complexity of David Benioff and D. B. Weissís scripts, and the quality of the acting from the mainly British cast....

Itís a precarious combination of the subtle and the lurid: Byzantine scheming on one hand, no-holds-barred bonking and maiming on the other. But itís a balancing act thatís splendidly worthwhile.

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

and the quality of the acting from the mainly British cast....

They just couldn't resist, could they? Gotta love the Brits.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Oh, lookee, the London Times is more open-minded than the NYT in their review.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

The Guardian can hardly be accused of disliking any HBO show, much less Game of Thrones (what with the episode recaps and all), but I thought this was a weird review. It had both praise for the show and extremely annoying antifantasy bias.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

The Guardian can hardly be accused of disliking any HBO show, much less Game of Thrones (what with the episode recaps and all), but I thought this was a weird review. It had both praise for the show and extremely annoying antifantasy bias.

The Guardian can be both oddly schizophrenic when it comes to television, music and movies, praising things in one sectiona then slating them in another, and also really caustic and mean spirited in some of their reviews.

I think the movie/tv critics try to ape the cutting humour that the likes of Barry Glendenning and John Ashdown bring to the sports section of the paper, but kind of miss. It seems he's trying to do the whole, 'compliment the excellence while finding as many things to mock as possible' thing. Plus, Andrew Collins is a complete tool at the best of times, and I could easily believe he's embarrassed to admit it's good, because it's fantasy.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Plus, Andrew Collins is a complete tool at the best of times, and I could easily believe he's embarrassed to admit it's good, because it's fantasy.

Having now watched a few of his other videos I'm prepared to agree with your assessment on this all important issue.

Edited by WickedRipePlum, Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

Red Raccoon Dog

Red Raccoon Dog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

I think the movie/tv critics try to ape the cutting humour that the likes of Barry Glendenning and John Ashdown bring to the sports section of the paper, but kind of miss.

Also, note that that pair are tempered by the ever-sensible James Richardson. Remove him and their dry, cynical wit would grow quickly tiresome. They have a well established balancing act worked out, something individual reviewers who try to ape their caustic humour don't replicate.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Lena Headey was on Jimmy Kimmel's show the other night.

Part 1

Part 2

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Salon <3 Game of Thrones

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

another kit harrington interview I love how much of fanboy harrington is. It's always so much fun reading his interviews, since he puts so much thought into the performance. It seemed fairly spoilerfree.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

another kit harrington interview I love how much of fanboy harrington is. It's always so much fun reading his interviews, since he puts so much thought into the performance. It seemed fairly spoilerfree.

Anyone who would tag Jon Snow "the angstiest hero in fantasy" clearly hasn't read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. Fitz's angsting in that would put Jon to shame.

Good interview, though. Interesting that he's stopped reading the books at AFFC, for now. I guess he's right when he says it could take him too far away from Jon's current situation, and colour his performances. I mean, that's why Lena Headey's avoiding the books completely, and I think Peter Dinklage is as well.

Shame he had to drop out of that Arthur & Lancelot movie, though.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Scott Meslow of the Atlantic wrote what I consider the best non-reader reviews last year. He didn't just express a string of "I liked this and I liked that" feelings, nor did he merely recap the episodes. Instead, each review was a thematic analysis of the episode, something that IMO is all too rare among TV writers. In that sense, Meslow is less of a reviewer and more of a critic.

But last week, I suspected he had read the books between the seasons when he called the Kingslayer "legendary," and used the expression "put to the sword" in his review of the premiere. He just confirmed in his latest article that he is reading along: http://www.theatlant...-for-tv/255607/

This is selfish, but I wish reviewers who haven't read the books would stay away from them. I am most interested in how the story works as a television show, and most welcome reviews untainted by book knowledge.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I'm with you on that one Haldebrandt. It's weird, but for some reason it adds an extra level of perverse enjoyment to the show in seeing how the Unsullied are following things ("Oh, look, they're getting attached to Ned, the poor devils, how cute"), and cannot understand why people would spoil that for them. I just hang back and present myself as a humble adviser on little details if approached.

I'm just hoping we retain enough 'new' viewer reviewers as the seasons roll on. Obviously they can find someone else who has not read the books pretty easily if one gives into the temptation, but it's be good to see someone's writings from start to finish (in 2022)

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Winter Is Coming has a weekly recap of the recaps, and they split it into book readers and non-book readers, if you're interested in that divide.

http://winteriscoming.net/

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Quick BTS vid of Kit Harrington, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey and Alfie Allen at a shoot for Rolling Stone.

ETA: Like there was ever a doubt, but BOOYA FOR A THIRD SEASON!

Edited by hardy har, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:33 PM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Game of Thrones has been renewed for a third season: http://www.westeros....rones_Renewed1/

Praise R'hllor!

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Excellent interview with Gwendoline Christie about how she turned herself into Brienne of Tarth. Spoilers for the book virgins about a character they haven't met yet.