READ ME: Announcements From and Questions For the Mod

• Please log in to reply

432 replies to this topic

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Okay if I start a 'Best YouTube Parodies' thread in General Gabbery? Non-spoilery, past episodes only. There are some wonderfully clever, insightful little parodies out there--like this, for example:

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

this..

http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

this...

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Might be too much to ask, but is there any way to disallow book talk in the episode threads? It seems like every single time someone forgets and either gives away what happens with a character based on the books, or, comments on something spoiler tagged, giving away something about the information. It's always book-based stuff. The pages of "that didn't happen in the books, that's not how it should be" are kind of dull for non book readers, too. One person even told us we should all read the books as soon as possible so we can understand what is really going on.

I just want to watch and talk about the series, not the books, and I don't want to know what happens, either.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Okay if I start a 'Best YouTube Parodies' thread in General Gabbery?

No problem with the thread, but it should go in the "Goofinf Off in Westeros" subforum.

Might be too much to ask, but is there any way to disallow book talk in the episode threads?

There's already a general rule against giving away information about upcoming plot details, and if someone breaks that rule (even accidentally), please report the post. I won't disallow book talk entirely, because obviously a lot of people watching the series are doing so because they already read and loved the books.

If you haven't read the books at all and only want to talk about the show with other people in the same state, you may want to read the "Completely Unspoiled Speculation" thread, which does completely disallow book discussion.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Where would be the best place to discuss things like sigils and maps and visual media from the books, but in a non-spoilery way? Would a new thread work for that?

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

There’s a discussion on the episode thread about the logic of Tywin sending the Mountain to raid and torture the peasants and burn the villages. In the books its explained that
Spoiler

I wanted to ask if the explanation in the spoiler bars would be considered spoilers in the episode thread. It doesn’t give away any future plot point, but instead clarifies the motivation for things that have already been shown in the show. Or should it be posted under spoiler bars? Or not at all?

Edited by ElymianDucat, Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:33 PM.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Where would be the best place to discuss things like sigils and maps and visual media from the books, but in a non-spoilery way? Would a new thread work for that?

Yeah, that sounds like a new thread. I would like to take the opportunity to request that pictures not be posted in the thread, even though it appears to be possible. It's not supposed to be.

I wanted to ask if the explanation in the spoiler bars would be considered spoilers in the episode thread. It doesn’t give away any future plot point, but instead clarifies the motivation for things that have already been shown in the show. Or should it be posted under spoiler bars? Or not at all?

That's a difficult question, because you can't say for sure whether it's going to be a future plot point. Sure, it seems like the show isn't going to get into that, but maybe there's an episode coming that's heavy on the military strategy. I'd prefer it be kept behind spoiler bars or out of the episode thread entirely, because I don't like the dynamic of book-readers telling show-watchers the reasons for everything. This seems like a good use for the Asking for Information thread, so people who want the Official-from-book answer can get it without getting in the way of people who are having fun speculating.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

This is probably a very silly question, since I'd assume that anyone posting on the Winds of Winter thread has already read all of the other books, but just in case: Is information from ACOK, SOS, AFFC, or ADWD considered a spoiler there?

Until I know differently I'll err on the side of caution and spoiler-bar my post. It's not spelled out in so many words.

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Yikes, I just accidentally posted in the Unspoiled thread, thought I was in the Ghost of Harrenhal thread! I immediately deleted the post, but someone had already quoted it--I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THIS! The post wasn't spoilery at all, just a detail about the current episode, but honestly, I thought I was in the episode thread--deleted it immediately.

vinnie1912

vinnie1912

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Is it possible to have spoiler status more clear on thread titles. I just opened the winds of winter thread having no idea that that is the title of the 6th? book and narrowly avoided reading what i assume would be huge spoilers.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I immediately deleted the post, but someone had already quoted it--I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THIS!

You're fine.

Is it possible to have spoiler status more clear on thread titles. I just opened the winds of winter thread having no idea that that is the title of the 6th? book and narrowly avoided reading what i assume would be huge spoilers.

I'll put something about how it's the sixth book in the subject line.

Oh, and:

This is probably a very silly question, since I'd assume that anyone posting on the Winds of Winter thread has already read all of the other books, but just in case: Is information from ACOK, SOS, AFFC, or ADWD considered a spoiler there?

Nope! If you're interested in what happens in Book Six, I assume you're not worried about what happens in the other books.

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

What's the spoiler policy in the History of Westeros thread? We're talking about fostering right now and backstory revealed in later books
Spoiler
are relevant to the discussion.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Until it's revealed on the show, it should be in spoiler tags. This remains a television-centric website, so people who really want to talk about the entire Sword of Ice and Fire mythology are going to be hamstringed. Hamstrung?

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

re: a recent post in the unspoiled forum (AKA unspoiled don't read, although it's not actually a spoiler)

Spoiler

Edited by Sad Doctor, May 5, 2012 @ 6:39 PM.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Edit: will PM mod instead.

Edited by Haldebrandt, May 5, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.

phantom1

phantom1

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Sad Doctor

Cutting down 10 men or whatever is I assume a reference to the description of the battle of the whispering woods in the books, where he finally gets captured. No reference to cutting down 10 men is ever made in the TV show, so phantom1 is probably a book reader.

EDIT: Or did Theon make a reference to cutting down men and I'm just forgetting? Maybe I'm off base

I have not read the books. Your edit is correct. S01E09, 47:10. "Kill him, Robb! Send his head to his father. He cut down ten of our men. You saw him."

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

put in a thread for Ygritte over at Dramatis Personae but got her name wrong. Could you correct it please?

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Will do!

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Started a Theon thread in Dramatis Personae but it should have been "Prince" Theon and not "Prince Theon". Can you change that please?

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

With the Ygritte thread, there really needs to be a comma between the words nothing and viewers.

Also, can I start a thread for discussion of things like weapons, armour, and clothing?

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I'm thinking he's referring to the fight that occurred outside the brothel when Ned Stark was stabbed, since the poster refers to Jaime cutting down Jory right before that sentence.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

So I posted in the unspoiled thread, trying to save them from an idiot who decided to spoil them. All I said was that the post was a spoiler, and not to read. In the meantime, the mod got it.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Again, when you see a post that shouldn't be there, JUST TELL A MODERATOR. Don't try to handle it yourself.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Okay, I'll remember that in the future. Sorry.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Hello, Game of Thrones forum! I'm retiring from moderating, so starting tomorrow, TWoP Mars is going to be your moderator. Reports of spoilers and that sort of thing should go to Mars instead of me.

I'm still going to be recapping the show, so I might post occasionally as Montykins. But future moderating decisions are in Mars's hands, not mine.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Aw, sorry to see you go. Thanks for your moderation and your continued recaps.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Aw, you'll be missed, Dietrich :-) Thank you for everything you did trying to keep the unspoiled thread safe, it was and is really appreciated. However, I'm sure you're looking forward to lots of time not spent reading every darned post in this forum. I'm glad we'll still have your recaps!

Welcome to Mars! Hee. That sounded sort of funny, but you know what I mean.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

Glad you'll still be recapping, Dietrich. You've done a stellar job creating sanity in this challenging environment. Special thanks for the Completely Unspoiled Thread. Enjoy whatever it is you are moving on to.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

In this post someone is reacting to what someone else wrote as if it was a spoiler, demanding that the info be spoiler tagged. But what he quotes is not a spoiler.

Can I make a post saying this? Or would pointing out that the quoted part is not a spoiler be considered a spoiler in and of itself?

Edited by ElymianDucat, May 20, 2012 @ 10:17 PM.

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I've just been in the Acting thread, which I think is a much-needed addition to the forum. It's been difficult to know whether to post these thoughts in the Episode thread, Character thread, or Book-v-Show thread.

Which brings me to my problem: should this have a spoiler warning? So far, all that's been discussed is how the actors meet the physical descriptions of their book characters, which isn't really spoiling anything, but it's still material that hasn't appeared on the show. I kept my post in line with the general tone of the thread, but now I'm wondering what the procedure should be?

Does the thread need a pinned warning? Or should we spoiler-bar anything that references the books, even physical descriptions?

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I'd like to see some guidelines posted as well. I thought it might be an interesting thread to read, but within a couple of posts I realized that the discussion would likely go places I didn't want to know, as an unspoiled, so I've been avoiding it since then.

Edited by anothermi, May 23, 2012 @ 2:44 PM.