READ ME: Announcements From and Questions For the Mod

• Please log in to reply

432 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

That's fine. I might go in and reword it myself if I think of changes.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

I tried to add it, but the post was already at its maximum size. We may need a new solution when season two gets close. But we're dealing with HBO, so that's like nine months away.

Thanks to both of you, by the way :-) Here's a suggestion on a way to solve the problem. This thread exists in a separate area, at the top of the page. Since there are eight thousand characters in play already, could you pin and lock a thread for "List of Characters That Have Appeared So Far" just so it could be consulted? Or put it in the character thread in that capacity while linking to it in the header post for the Unspoiled Thread?

We just need it -- and by "we" I mean, people like me who aren't the best with names -- as a reference list, specifically so that -- again, let's use me as an example -- I don't do something like saying "That guy with the Tim the Enchanter Hat" thereby luring people in to say "That's Shagga." thereby getting them banned because Gingko Biloba does diddly for my memory when it comes to names.

I think it just needs to exist somewhere so it can be referenced. It doesn't need to head the thread. If the Header post has a link to "Characters that Have Appeared Thus Far" thread you could do more than one post to make room for the season two characters.

Edited by stillshimpy, Aug 5, 2011 @ 1:50 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

I concur with Shimpy's idea and had come to post it, but it was here already.

M. Taco could still list by House or character groupings/cohorts and then link to a post in the Character thread that contains them. That would leave the headings currently there (House, words, sigil or other identifying stuff), but eliminate the list under it and allow for more expansion over the seasons. 'Cuz we'll be getting more than two, right?

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

Haldebrand:

Hi. After tonite's finale, I am interested in people's views of the season as a whole, and also specifics like episode rankings, favorite moments, favorite characters, etc... Would it be OK to create a thread for that? Something like GOT Season 1 Debrief thread. Thanks.

TwoP Dietrich:

Sure!

Having just ingested the entire season at once, for the first time, On Demand (urp), I was looking for just such a topic. Was it created, and I'm just missing it? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area. Thank you!

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

I don't think it ever got created. It continues to be fine with me if someone wants to do so.

Perlin

Perlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

Since GRRM is starting to give out tidbits of the next book, the Dance with Dragons thread is starting to fill up with black bars. Is it ok if we start a Winds of Winter thread? If not, can we combine the existing ADwD thread with TWoW thread? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Perlin, Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:03 PM.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

Good point. A new thread for Winds of Winter is what is called for.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 1:15 AM

Thanks for the response, TWoP Dietrich. It seems there is little demand for a Season One topic, so I will hold off for the time being and just look forward to discussing the next season with fellow viewers. Much appreciated.

screamin

screamin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

I was wondering if a fanfic rec thread would be appropriate? I wasn't sure whether we didn't have one due to GRRM's stated hostility to fanfic, or just a lack of general interest.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:22 AM

Go right ahead and create it. It should go in the "Goofing Off in Westeros" subforum.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

A quick question. Since the term “War of the Five Kings” has already been used in the latest trailer, is it permitted to use it in threads where the Unsullied might read it?

I've put it in spoilers here in case the answer is No.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Feb 25, 2012 @ 6:32 PM.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

I know the unsullied thread has a "please no trailer knowledge" policy, not sure about the general public threads

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Hmm. Please don't use that phrase in the completely unsullied thread, at least until the first episode airs. After that, it'll be considered to have aired.

I'm going to post a reminder/clarification of all the various spoiler rules in this forum, since it's pretty complicated.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Where do reviews of the DVD set go? Media or Merchandise?

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Where do reviews of the DVD set go? Media or Merchandise?

I should have answered this two weeks ago, but for the record: Merchandise.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

Season 2 is almost here! And here is a reminder of the fairly complex spoiler policy!

1) Stuff that has appeared on the show or on HBO's official show-related site is not a spoiler in any thread. (Although I'd like things in the Season 2 Trailer to stay out of the "Completely Unspoiled Speculation" thread until the season actually starts)

2) Information from the books that has not appeared in the show should be used sparingly and behind spoiler bars everywhere except the book-specific threads and the overall spoiler thread.

3) Information from unpublished books should remain behind spoiler bars even in the book-related threads. It's only appropriate in the Spoiler Discussion Thread and the thread devoted explicitly to The Winds of Winter.

Here's what the separate threads are for:

The current episode thread (normally pinned at the top of the forum) is for discussion of things that happened in that episode. It can contain references to things that happened earlier, but if your post is mostly about the preview for the next episode, it should go somewhere else. Normally we'd have a "Spoiler" and a "Speculation" thread, but this show is different.

The Game of Thrones Television vs. Book (may contain spoilers) thread (which I usually call "Book vs. Show") is for people who have read the books and want to discuss the show in that context. Anything from the published books through A Dance With Dragons is okay. If you want to talk about previews or future plots in the context of knowing how things went in the books, this is the place to go. This is also the place for talking about how well or poorly the show is translating the books.

The Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion thread is for spoilers that go above and beyond what someone would expect from having read all the published books. That could include information from unpublished books, but the thread is mostly for things that will diverge from the books somehow. The idea is that even people who read the books might want to be surprised by things, so if you know that Character X, who did not die in the books, will actually die in the series, that should go here.

The Completely Unspoiled Speculation thread is for people who have not read the books and want to experience the show with entirely fresh eyes. Anyone who has read the books is not allowed to post in that thread. Information from the HBO site is still fair game. I want to be very clear about this, because this thread is my favorite thing I've done as a moderator here: if you post in this thread and you've read the books, you will be banned. Don't post to tell people they're guessing correctly. Don't post to tell them you enjoy watching them. Don't correct them on matters of fact. Leave them alone, because that thread is awesome the way it is.

bucconeer

bucconeer

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

3) Information from unpublished books should remain behind spoiler bars even in the book-related threads. It's only appropriate in the Spoiler Discussion Thread and the thread devoted explicitly to A Dance With Dragons.

I think you meant THE WINDS OF WINTER, since ADWD has been published already.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

I think you meant THE WINDS OF WINTER, since ADWD has been published already.

...yes I did! Well, what actually happened was that I cut/pasted stuff that was from back before A Dance With Dragons came out.

Anyway, I'll fix it.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Just FYI, currently with the forum update in progress spoiler tags are not working and text that should be hidden is visible; just a warning to the unspoiled to tread carefully.

Edited by jcin617, Mar 21, 2012 @ 10:16 AM.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Since you're allowing HBO site info now, do you still want me to maintain that character cheat sheet in the pinned post?

In principle, yes. That post deflects a lot of well-meaning explanatory posts from people who have read the books.

Maybe we just need a strictly informative thread with the character cheat sheet in it? That way each general category can be its own post, and we can link to it from the pinned post. I bet even some people not in the Completely Unspoiled Thread would find that helpful.

Avia

Avia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I was just going to suggest this, actually. Given how many new named characters we're likely to get once the new season begins, and given that Maximum Taco has already had to cut the list short because of character limits on the sticky post, I was wondering if perhaps the list could be made a special thread -- perhaps stickied and perhaps one that only authorized people can post to? (To cut down on unwanted bookwalker contributions, corrections, elaborations, etc.)

Just a thought. I've read the books recently enough to remember names, but during this off-season I've really enjoyed reading the Unsullied thread and feel for those who want a spoiler-free reference for the many, many character names.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Would there be a way to allow me to post in a thread and not allow everyone to do so?

If we make a thread that has just your posts in it, then I lock the thread, you'd be able to edit your posts. So I'll start a thread, then you should respond to it. It'll be a little ugly at first, but I think it'll smooth out pretty quickly.

Kallemort

Kallemort

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

Hey, I've been following the Unspoiled Speculation thread since last year but never really had anything to contribute. Now however I have more opinions and such to post (I haven't read the books) but I wonder, is information from the DVD / blu-ray extras allowed? I bought season 1 on blu-ray and watched all the extras, so I'm not sure I can join in on the discussion without accidentally slipping some info from the extras (if they are not allowed).

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

What are the rules about creating a thread in the "Goofing Off" section?

I thought it might be amusing to have a spoiler-free "Advertising" thread, that is, what products would the characters endorse, and/or, if Game of Thrones were on commercial TV, what actual products would be a natural sponsor.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Hey, I've been following the Unspoiled Speculation thread since last year but never really had anything to contribute. Now however I have more opinions and such to post (I haven't read the books) but I wonder, is information from the DVD / blu-ray extras allowed?

I don't want to make an absolute rule against it, but I also don't think people should go crazy with that stuff. So I guess I'd say it's okay, but be careful.

What are the rules about creating a thread in the "Goofing Off" section?

Go ahead and do it!

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

So are spoilerish things allowed in the episode thread? Because I have not read the books and feel like I am learning way too much about what will happen. A few posts have already told me that the caged guys going to the Wall will get out. I dont think I should learn that in the episode thread, but maybe I misunderstand the rules?

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Agreed.

Also, methinks there are two bookwalkers in the Unsullied thread. Just FYI.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I dont think I should learn that in the episode thread, but maybe I misunderstand the rules?

No, you're correct. Please PM me links to the posts in question.

Also, methinks there are two bookwalkers in the Unsullied thread. Just FYI.

I need more than that. Please PM me links and what makes you suspicious.

ElizaBlue

ElizaBlue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

Seems like a stupid question, but is mentioning some currently aired episode detail ok in the episode thread for an earlier episode, if the detail mentioning is done after the said details have aired? (Example: 2.02 details in the 2.01 thread) It fills the "aired episodes are not a spoiler in any thread" requirement, but then again, we may have readers among us who watch the episodes at their own pace.

Spoiler-tagged it just to be safe.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Seems like a stupid question, but is mentioning some currently aired episode detail ok in the episode thread for an earlier episode, if the detail mentioning is done after the said details have aired?

It's okay. People watching the shows at their own pace read the forums at their own risk.