Platinum Hit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

529 replies to this topic

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Platinum Hit Season 1 from Bravo:

Bravo showcases emerging singer-songwriters on their quest to become the next big hitmaker when Platinum Hit premieres on Monday, May 30 at 10/9 c. The network's new music competition series gives viewers a front row seat to experience the journey and aspirations of these gifted songwriters and an inside look at this unique creative process for the first time. Two of the most accomplished songwriters share their experience and expertise as Jewel hosts the series, as well as gives her feedback as a judge, alongside Kara DioGuardi who is the head judge each week.

Platinum Hit follows 12 up-and-coming musicians as they battle through a series of innovative songwriting challenges testing their creativity, patience and drive. From dance track to love ballad, every episode will feature a different theme that will require the contestants to write and perform lyrics from multiple genres. Their intimate life stories and personal drama will unfold within the show and in their lyrics as they compete and live together. In the end, only one will be crowned the ultimate hitmaker and walk away with a $100,000 cash prize, publishing deal with Sony, BMI Songwriters The Writing Camp, and a recording deal with RCA/Jive.

To find out if they have what it takes, Keith Naftaly, SVP of A&R for RCA/Jive Label Group at Sony Music Entertainment, will be featured throughout the series to help judge the competition and some of the most influential musicians will serve as guest judges including Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield, Donna Summer, Jermaine Dupri, Taio Cruz, and Ryan Tedder.

The previews looked like the same format as Project Runway.

Edited by chainey, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:14 PM.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I think i've finally seen enough ads to get curious about this. Much of it is wondering who the hell Kara blahblah is though.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 12:09 PM

She's a songwriter and former judge on American Idol. Which I don't watch, so I have no idea what she's like.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

Bumping the thread because this show is about to begin on Monday. Us Canadians have to wait until the 5th of June, but at least we get to see it.

I'm intrigued by the premise. Plus, it will be a relief that we don't have to hear anyone sing "Fallin'" or "Summertime" for the umpteenth time. Hallelujah! (Oh, that one too!)

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 3:38 PM

Really, the only reason I'm going to give this a shot is because Jewel is on it. I've been a huge fan of hers since I was a kid, I even kept buying her albums when she went all country, and I never listen to country (not that there's anything wrong with the genre, it's not my thing). I mean, it could be interesting, but at the same time I'm wondering, is the writing process really all that exciting to watch? But I've DVR'ed it, so I guess we'll see. At least it's genuinely different for all the other music-related competitions out there.

Kazzie

Kazzie

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 4:11 PM

I will be watching this mostly because I knew one of the contestants, Brian Judah, from back in high school and will be rooting for him. He was already insanely talented and I'm really excited to see how he does.

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

Everything about this show is completely forgettable. Kara and Jewel (God love her) have the charisma of a dishrag.

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Jermaine Dupri looked like an idiot sitting in the studio with sunglasses on, especially sitting across from a blind guy who actually has a reason for his.

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

I watched this mostly to hear some original music, and already I'm ready to jump ship. Just solely on the fact that I cannot stand to hear Sonyae's (sp) irritating voice from week to week.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

I was hoping Sonyae would be out this week. Her Love it or Hate it was worn out before the show even started. Bravo made me loathe her before she opened her mouth...then I heard the full song and hated it even more.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

I didn't like the winner they picked at all. I thought their song sounded liked something a made-up tween band would sing in a made-for-tv Disney movie, where the movie's name was also the fake band's name. I'll stick around for Jewel, but I'm not sure for how long.

stereohype

stereohype

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Wow - guess I'm the lone dissenter... I loved the premiere! I tuned in prepared for a really crappy show, and found myself loving it. Really enjoyed the "hook challenge" and was impressed with some of them, and I also actually liked a couple of the final songs! Will definitely tune in for the rest of the season. I guess I don't really know how long it takes to write a good song, but I was impressed with what they came up with in 8 hours (though, who knows what that really means in Reality TV time?).

There were three things I weren't a fan of:

- Sonyae (her, her attitude, her hook, her song... you name it)
- The stank attitudes of the guy who won and the guy who was eliminated
- The fact that they have to write in teams

But overall - I'm in! I thought the judges were pretty on point with their critiques, and I went to read the judge blogs on the site and loved this comment by Jewel:

"I also tried to be specific. There's nothing as an artist that I hate more than receiving vague feedback. "You just didn't bring it" is not a helpful critique. You can do nothing with that."

Someone needs to call up the Idol judges and read that to them!

===

ETA: Whoa, songs are already up on iTunes! Will comment more once I've listened to them!

ETA x2: I really hate being proven wrong - but that damn "Love it or Hate it" hook really IS catchy, and after listening to the previews on iTunes, it was the only song that sounded at all current and could be on the radio today. I guess the judges did know what they were talking about after all when she won the hook! The production values for this song sound way higher than for the other three.

Nick's song - as I suspected, sounds like every other emo/rock band song ever written.
Scotty's song - I actually didn't mind it on the show... but it's horrible on iTunes, so... fail!
Jackie's song - this was my fave during the show... but meh on iTunes, not a hit.

Edited by stereohype, May 30, 2011 @ 11:55 PM.

hlmac17

hlmac17

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

I actually enjoyed the premier. It reminded me of Project Runway's format with mini challenge, main challenge, working in groups, guest judges, and the voted off hook line. I didn't know when it was going to premier until and artist and major songwriter I follow tweeted about it last Friday. Anyways Kara is less annoying so far than she was on AI and I'm curious how far Jackie is gonna go in this competition since she only got to the semi finals of AI S8.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:01 AM

Love it or hate, love it or hate, love it or hate it wins? Seriously? It took me all of 3 seconds to hate that hook, & the way she screeched it was like nails on a blackboard.

laralavie

laralavie

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

I like this show. It's really entertaining to watch people write and perform their own songs. I think it's like Project Runway in that it focuses on talents of the contestants instead of petty personal drama.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 2:58 AM

I liked it a lot. A bit like "Works of Art" (only better) in that it celebrates and lets us observe the creative process.

It would be frustrating to have every final song have to be a collaboration every week, but understand that it reduces the number of performances.

I liked the two songs that won the best--very glad Son-ye (spelling?) didn't win as that would have encouraged them to ignore the need for a melody for the next challenge, too.

Some of them are pretty good singers. I wonder if they all can read/write music, since it seemed that none of them had anything written down in the final performance, not even the lyrics.

Really looking forward to this--and Jewel and Kara are knowledgable, specific, and ... tough. The guest judge is a good idea and I'm looking forward to seeing who they have.

rasalas

rasalas

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:26 AM

In an episode where they kept talking about cliches, how come no one pointed out how the "I love LA" line has been done to death -- whether on T-shirts, on bumper stickers or in a famous song by Randy Newman? Yet two of the songs featured that line prominently and often, with no comment from the judges or fellow contestants.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:54 AM

Surprised at how much I liked this. Jewel was kind of awesome, though it felt awkward having her talk about "one day you might win a grammy award and have your words up on these walls, just like... ok, not me, but do you like Bob Dylan?" I'm totally surprised at the quality, critique, and relevancy of the judges. Also, glad that Kara brought the girls to judging this week.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

loved this comment by Jewel:

"I also tried to be specific. There's nothing as an artist that I hate more than receiving vague feedback. "You just didn't bring it" is not a helpful critique. You can do nothing with that."

Ummmmm, wasn't that exactly what Kara Dogface did?

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

how come no one pointed out how the "I love LA" line has been done to death

Right? Also, "City of Angels". Bitch, please.

I'm in for the duration, I keep wondering how many incarnations of the Project Runway/Top Chef formula they can come up with. Top Design, Shear Genius, Work of Art, Make me a Supermodel...

I was delighted that the insufferable "I speak for the widow. I speak for the orphan. I speak for those who have no voice" was the first to go. Dude, get over yourself. You're not worthy to carry Bob Dylan's bags. At least he didn't mention Woody, for which I am profoundly grateful.

I like Jackie from Long Island. Sonyae is already running into the red zone on my Annoy-O-Meter. Blonde girl with the uke reminded me of Beth from the Real World, not a good thing.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

Does anyone know if a Canadian broadcaster is showing this? I had no luck on my searches. Thanks.

cyberfruit

cyberfruit

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

Dear god, whoever told Sonyae that she can sing needs to be smacked repeatedly. I was already tired of her screech from the commercials, and now that completely over the top "Love it or Hate it" mess? Ridiculous. A friend of mine was watching it with me and the look on her face was that of complete horror.

That being said, I think I will enjoy the show (then again, Bravo pretty much owns my soul). I definitely prefer the more soulful and alternative songwriters (not including the guy who made up his song in like, 5 seconds. That sounded like some pop-rock garbage that 13 year olds would go crazy over).

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 6:20 PM

Does anyone know if a Canadian broadcaster is showing this? I had no luck on my searches. Thanks.

In Canada All-New Series Platinum Hit Comes To MuchMore Premiering June 5 at 10ET

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 6:36 PM

Thank you, LakeGal!

punchbug

punchbug

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

Just a reply to Jacob about his questioning that Jackie said she was from Oceanside, LI on Platinum Hits but on Idol she said she was from Silver Lake. I am from the same area and Silver Lake is a portion of Baldwin, LI and some of the families who live in there are zoned to send their children to the Oceanside schools.

Secret Symphony

Secret Symphony

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

I really enjoyed the premiere, thought the judges were spot on and will definitely be tuning in to watch next week. The 1st 2 original songs were above and away the best of the 4 and while I liked them both, I'd be lying if I didn't say that the line 'L.A... my city' has been stuck in my head since Monday night so I'm content with that song's win.
I thought the 3rd song was awful, even worse than that Love it or Hate it failure and as far as voices go, while they may not be what the judges are well, judging, I can't stand the way Scotty (lead singer for song 3) sounds - it's so whiny and whispery and like he's half singing. He sounds so affected. Any song he sings in the upcoming weeks is going to sound horrendous because of his awful singing style..and I agree with others on here that Sonyae isn't as great as she thinks.

I recognized Jackie immediately from American Idol which I gave up 2 seasons ago but she was on when I watched.

It's really too early to care about someone going home so goodbye Nevin, who looks like he was separated at birth from actor, Matt Dallas.

Someone mentioned the full songs being on itunes, are they free?

Edited by Secret Symphony, May 31, 2011 @ 11:30 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

We recorded the show and watched it later last night. I liked it; I didn't like it; then, I liked it again, so the jury is still out. I honestly thought that if the "screecher" uttered one more note, I'd have to get earplugs and tranquilizers. Luckily, she didn't win. Someone, put a muzzle on her!!!

I was happy with the judges' decision and totally agreed with their final choices.

It amazed me how fast those teams worked in putting together a complete song. They must have had some experience in doing it before, don't you think? Still, with three people having ideas, how did they ever boil them down to one logical song? Pretty good stuff!

Pink did a good job reading her cue cards (lol), and she looked beautiful. While I didn't care for Kara on "Idol," I liked her on this show. It will be interesting to see whether the show gets a following.

BengalKitty

BengalKitty

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

I think Bravo made a wise choice when they began this series. All the network shows have had their season ending episodes and the new stuff and USA/TNT doesn't begin until the next few weeks. I DVR'd this show only because I hate to watch commercials anymore and Bravo hasn't let me down yet with their quirky competition shows. By the time the other networks get up and running, I'll be "invested" in seeing who makes it to the end.

I thought the first 3 songs were cheesy. Whoever mentioned teeny-bopper Disney was spot on. But how complicated can they get with only 8 hours? I'm sure there are plenty of songwriters that busted out a Top 10 hit in a day, but how often does that happen?

I'm glad that they worked in teams. Some of the hooks from the mini challenge were painful. Could you imagine sitting through 16 songs, too?

Oh, and Love It or Hate It? I hated it. I was shocked that she was the top hook winner. I think she will be hindered, though, in the fact that she does not play an instrument. Doesn't that make her more of a poet than a songwriter?

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

Pink did a good job reading her cue cards (lol), and she looked beautiful.

I think you mean Jewel. Unless that was a joke, in which case, it went right over my head.

You know, between more of the same-old, same-old on shows like "The Voice" and "America's Got Talent," I really gotta say, at the very least I appreciate this showing us people who have the potential to be great creators of music, not just great performers of it. At the very least, I know I won't have to suffer through the zillionith cover of another "popular" song.

Edited by Vanilla Siren, Jun 1, 2011 @ 11:52 AM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

I liked it. I like the Bravo mold for reality television and as for say, Project Runway and Work of Art, it was interesting seeing the creative process behind the song (how Melissa let the inspiration come by doing routine stuff for instance). So far, Kara and Jewel impressed me with how tough they were and how little bullshit they let slide. I know Sonyae was a handful, but her hook was interesting and catchy. There was something there that I'm not sure was in the losing song.
And the fact that they booted pretty face, batshit delusional Nevin in the first episode makes me hopeful over the seriousness of the program.

how come no one pointed out how the "I love LA" line has been done to death

Right? Also, "City of Angels". Bitch, please.

I actually gave them a pass on those. It was more of a common language than a cliché to me. I mean, LA, the city of Angels is not a cliché, it's like, the official nickname. On the other hand, "the neons are burning me" was a cliché because it was done to death and generic. In fact, Nevin was the one who brought up the worst lines of the song (the dreadful one with with "they want you to fail" too).

I like most of the other aspiring songwriters, even Nick, who I think is talented despite the cockiness. Sonyae is the only one I could do without but she's not gonna be her much longer I think. Also liked Jackie and Karen.

So far so good, I'll watch.