3-2: "Everything Old is New Again" 2011.04.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

81 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2011 @ 11:59 AM

From Zap2it

Pop star and trained chef Kelis judges a quickfire challenge; actress Christina Hendricks oversees a '60s themed elimination challenge.

Random: I'm amused that Zap2it's image for TC Masters has Kelly Choi in it.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Apr 17, 2011 @ 10:12 AM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Dagnabit. Why do the chefs with the charities nearest to my heart (animal-based charities) always get eliminated first in TCM? Has happened twice in a row now. Iím dying inside to see those charities get cut first, and I really liked Sue besides.

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

More examples of the TC B.S. of not giving enough space or cooking equipment. That kitchen was entirely too small to have that many chefs making that many dishes. At least stagger them by more time so they can make them, this is ridiculous. Apparently TPTB never realize that this stuff just pisses viewers off. There is no excuse for chefs having to plate on the damn floor.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Apparently TPTB never realize that this stuff just pisses viewers off.

Exactly! Especially on Masters where we just want to see them cook. When they first started complaining about the space I was angered; to see that it actually effected the outcome so significantly may make me stop watching.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Did not care for Kelis one bit as a judge. Thought Christina Hendricks was delightful and so pretty IRL. Her husband is someone I've seen many times and he was great too. They were fun and good judges. Ruth Reichl is awfully nice -- that surprises me. I thought she was sort of tough when she was a critic, but not here. Glad to see Hugh welcomed back, but wow, he's an odd duck. Thought the sending home of Sue was the right decision. I was very surprised that Mary Sue won the challenge -- she had been so flustered in the kitchen, but wow, she found a way to get it done. Enjoyed the episode. Not looking forward to the one with the bugs.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Agreed. 2 of the bottom 3 were there due to issues partly or wholly caused by logistics. That's just crap. It was almost like a game of musical chairs to see who could grab the best spots to work in. That's not something that is interesting to watch.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I know I'm not on the cutting edge of pop culture, LOL, but who in the world was that music person tasting the quick fire dishes? Have never heard of her! It didn't seem like the chefs felt like she knew what she was talking about even though she is supposedly a chef herself.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

Hah. I've been waiting for Suvir to show his true colors. A friend of a friend knows him and has always said he's a real jughead, and we definitely saw his pissy little self at judgement time.

More examples of the TC B.S. of not giving enough space or cooking equipment. That kitchen was entirely too small to have that many chefs making that many dishes. At least stagger them by more time so they can make them, this is ridiculous. Apparently TPTB never realize that this stuff just pisses viewers off. There is no excuse for chefs having to plate on the damn floor.

I'm trying to guess if it was on purpose, as part of the test, or if some production people just screwed up and didn't think of it (this time, since we've seen staggering done other times on Top Chef).

I know I'm not on the cutting edge of pop culture, LOL, but who in the world was that music person tasting the quick fire dishes? Have never heard of her!

She's a one hit wonder who's hit was quite a few years ago at this point. It was about Milkshakes. Seriously. Well, it was actually more about waving your protruding body parts in guys' faces, but its much the same thing, eh? Heh.

Here she is (a much younger version at least)... waving her Milkshake in the faces of the boys: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pGL2rytTraA

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:39 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Agreed. 2 of the bottom 3 were there due to issues partly or wholly caused by logistics.

But that didn't necessarily seem to be true. They criticized the entire concept of Sue's dishes and her defense that they would have seemed a lot different if her two garnishes had made it to the plate was pretty weak. Also, from what we saw Suvir and Sue were great to help people out they also weren't vocal about what they needed to the other chefs. It didn't seem much like diva attitude just in the zone attitude and speaking up for what they needed. None of the chefs who spoke up did it in a "I am superior" way, they just did it in a calm "I need this" way of the kitchen and Sue and Suvir never appeared to try that. Hell, Mary Sue was plating on her knees.

Edited by biakbiak, Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:39 PM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

But that didn't necessarily seem to be true. They criticized the entire concept of Sue's dishes and her defense that they would have seemed a lot different if her two garnishes had made it to the plate was pretty week.

I didn't hear much criticism of the concept separate from the lack of some key ingredients. The critics explicitly said at the table that the missing cracklin' would have made a big difference in Sue's dish, so clearly that wasn't just her defense so much as it was the judges' acknowledgment that the incompleteness of the dish was critical. Their primary criticism of the dish at JT was also simply about the incompleteness, to the point that -- like Dave in S1 of TC -- I got the very strong feeling that they felt they HAD to eliminate Sue even if her dish was actually better than Suvir's (which was roundly panned in every conceivable way).

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Also, from what we saw Suvir and Sue were great to help people out they also weren't vocal about what they needed to the other chefs. It didn't seem much like diva attitude just in the zone attitude and speaking up for what they needed. None of the chefs who spoke up did it in a "I am superior" way, they just did it in a calm "I need this" way of the kitchen and Sue and Suvir never appeared to try that. Hell, Mary Sue was plating on her knees.

Sue didn't seem that bitter or finger pointing, but Suvir is not a very gracious person. Bam. Finger pointed. Unless it happened offscreen, we didn't see him try very hard to get his space. And there's a planning issue too. He had to be doing something else while that space all initially got taken, because by the time we saw him look for space the meat of the others was WELL under way being cooked. Seemingly he's just a diva himself who expected the space to be RESERVED for him ten or fifteen minutes in, rather than someone who staked a spot right away, like he should have.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Bye, Sue. Your earnest, bug-eyedness had much potential for amusement.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

The critics explicitly said at the table that the missing cracklin' would have made a big difference in Sue's dish,

They also clearly stated that she didn't update her dish and it was a failure at the conception phase. James her strongest defender even agreed, he just felt it was at least edible which is pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise on this show. And that both of her proteins were unevenly cooked.

And I didn't find the cracklin' to be that clearly stated because it was a spliced together edit.

Edited by biakbiak, Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

They also clearly stated that she didn't update her dish and it was a failure at the conception phase. James her strongest defender even agreed, he just felt it was at least edible which is pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise on this show. And that both of her proteins were unevenly cooked.

Suvir's dish didn't even get damned with faint praise, it just got damned. I know never to trust what we see on this show, so trying to figure out who had the better dish from the edit is pointless. But if I suspended my disbelief and trusted that what we saw was an accurate reflection of the reality, I'd say that Suvir's dish was FAR worse than Sue's. Which leads me to suspect Sue was eliminated like Dave, on the basis of not completing her dish. Which was caused by the bullshit cramped kitchen environment.

Edited by SpeciousLogic, Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:01 PM.

tredder

tredder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

I am really hating the new Top Chef:Redux format. It feels like we're just continuing Top Chef:Allstars with some different people.

What I loved about the first two seasons of TCM was that everyone had the tools they needed for amazing cooking (without absurd, manufactured impediments like too little space or not enough equipment) and the comraderie. When Naomi kissed Sue goodbye tonight, my first reaction was "Hey! We haven't even seen them speak to each other before!" I miss the chatting around the table over a glass of wine. And Hubert Keller.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

What I loved about the first two seasons of TCM was that everyone had the tools they needed for amazing cooking (without absurd, manufactured impediments like too little space or not enough equipment)

Like when they had to cook in a college dorm room or at a restaurant who's oven wasn't coming to temp.

Mars in Gemini

Mars in Gemini

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:21 PM

I missed last week's episode and I'm a little puzzled. Where is the show being filmed now, and why is it so dark, dreary and cramped? The toy kitchen I had when I was four had more space than that! Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it so it looks like the set of a horror movie. (It reminds me of the kitchen in Sleepaway Camp.) I don't know if I like this new format, either. And it feels weird not knowing who most of these chefs are, but I guess that will make getting to know them a richer experience. Kinda...sorta.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:37 PM

What I loved about the first two seasons of TCM was that everyone had the tools they needed for amazing cooking (without absurd, manufactured impediments like too little space or not enough equipment)

Didn't they have to cook in dorm rooms during the first season? On hot plates, in microwaves and in one case, the shower? (Or, what biakbiak said.)

I really liked the concept of the challenge. I want to try that oyster. It did seem odd that everyone was in the kitchen working at the same time when they would be serving a different times. The producers should have timed that better. Especially since everyone was really making two dishes.

Edited by pjamma, Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:39 PM.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

Two episodes in, and I'm simply not enjoying this show anymore.

spankydoll

spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

I was thrilled to see some grasshopper pie.Calling my Mother for the recipie tomorrow.

Yawn on the rest. Except I want by boobs to look like hers...

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

Two episodes in, and I'm simply not enjoying this show anymore.

ITA. It seems more frenetic, less respectful, less opportunity to really appreciate what outstanding chefs can do.

I don't know what's different exactly. Only that it seemed so much better last season.

Much, much better. And actually enjoyable to watch.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I think the format of a smaller group going head to head works better. With everyone competing at the same time we get less background on the chefs and much less time on the food.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:54 AM

Didn't they have to cook in dorm rooms during the first season? On hot plates, in microwaves and in one case, the shower? (Or, what biakbiak said.)

Yes there have been awkward places to cook that impose limitations. My problem is that the limitations were not equally spread out. The first round got in and got to cook with the space and equipment they wanted. They others? Not so much. To me that's a big difference than everyone has to cook in a dorm room.

I'm not sure if it is poor planning or the theme of throwing as much shit at them and hoping for DRAMA! Instead we get chefs scurrying frantically in the kitchen like rats when the health inspector throws the lights on. Or Marcel in a regular season.

Overall the season seems flat. The judges are charm free. I'm guessing to match vanilla scented air gel boi Curtis Stone. And since I wasn't a fan of the product of Muppet on Barbie rape even before the season started, it drives me nuts that he can't seem to keep his yap shut. Padma sometimes is annoying, but she never came off as leading the critique as much as stone did tonight in the quickfire.

At first I thought it was, as already mentioned, a bit too much like watching a regular season. But after tonight I felt like I was watching something on food network with Guy Fieri sweating-hosting. Or maybe some kind of scrapped Christopher Guest sly parody that failed in the comic area. I'm hoping when it gets down to a few they just let them cook their asses off and not have so many silly hoops and hurdles (for the time why not have the right number of meat grinders already set up and tested to function -- I don't watch TC Masters to see a bunch of people try and get the their meat ground in time-- I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat at the clock runs down; I'm enjoying the time granted to go to the fridge and find something to snack on). Hopefully the Food Networkization will bite the producers in the ass and they will stick with Stone, the judges and the format for just one season.

My luck? I'm betting it sticks and I can only hope Stone's over-product laden hair goes up in flames some challenge. Then he'll actually match my nickname for him of Bloomin' Onion.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:44 AM

Yes there have been awkward places to cook that impose limitations. My problem is that the limitations were not equally spread out. The first round got in and got to cook with the space and equipment they wanted. They others? Not so much. To me that's a big difference than everyone has to cook in a dorm room.

Didn't the challenge winner, who went out first, have to work UNDER a table? How's that "the first round getting the space and equipment they wanted"?

Also, I believe they all setup at the same time. If Suvir, for example, just sat on his ass until everyone else's food was already laid out on burners and THEN complained about the lack of space given to him... its his fault.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:46 AM

Yawn. Yet another snoozefest of an episode. Curtis has no charisma. The three judges are blah, especially the younger girl that has the food blog or whatever.

Perhaps I didn't understand the elimination challenge when it was explained. I thought that they were instructed to update a 60's classic. So when they were all bringing out their plates, we saw the old 60's version and then the new updated version. I saw the judges biting into the old version and wondered why. I thought that the old version was just taken from perhaps the example that was underneath the mystery covers. So I guess they had to cook both versions? Wow, that seems really difficult. You'd have to buy enough ingredients for essentially two dishes, not to mention have enough time to do both.

I didn't like how some chefs got very standard "easy" dishes (deviled eggs), while some got stuck with the likes of ambrosia.

This show is really really hurting if the biggest "celebrity" judge they can get is Kelis, whose Milkshake song is eight years old. Her Wikipedia entry has no mention of any culinary experience or expertise other than to say she is writing a cookbook. Seems like she gets $55K/month for child support from her ex-husband Nas.

Christina Hendricks is pretty, but that husband of hers? Bleecch. Talk about Beauty and the Beast. How in the world did this coupling happen?

I think it was the right decision to send Sue home. Suvir's deep fried veal looked inedible, but I guess if you don't finish your food, you deserve to go home. I'm a little confused though, it didn't seem like this challenge had any audience voting. So why not make sure that you have four dishes plated for the judges and two for Christina and Igor? Would they even know that you didn't finish plating for the rest of the diners?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

I thought that they were instructed to update a 60's classic.

They were instructed to do make a classic and then do an updated version.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 4:32 AM

I was glad to see Hugh come back. He has a strange intensity of look, coupled with a sense of humor. I chuckled when he said how he didn't want to be the "first and second" chef eliminated on TCM. I'm also oddly fascinated by his eyebrows, and I like him for letting them do their own thing. It's not your usual look, and I'm cool with that. Nice to see something different, yet not contrived.
I hope he stays for a while, because I suspect that he'll be very entertaining.

It's kind of a relief for me that I'm unfamiliar with these chefs. I didn't come in with any expectations or favorites, and that's a nice change from the recent All-Stars season.

I liked the idea of the EC, but hated the way they were all squeezed in that kitchen. I don't know if it was a deliberate test, or a big oversight on the part of the director, but it was not fun to watch. I suspect deliberate shenanigans, and can see the producers saying in the planning stages, "Won't it be fun to see them packed together, working practically on top of each other?" Except it wasn't fun.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 5:58 AM

I miss the chatting around the table over a glass of wine. And Hubert Keller.

I miss Hubert too! I wonder if they can at least bring him in as a guest judge...

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 6:25 AM

It's kind of a relief for me that I'm unfamiliar with these chefs. I didn't come in with any expectations or favorites, and that's a nice change from the recent All-Stars season.

I totally agree. And if the producers can keep the manufactured through editing, "personal" dramas at bay, I will totally entertained.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 6:35 AM

This show is really really hurting if the biggest "celebrity" judge they can get is Kelis, whose Milkshake song is eight years old.

But she wasn't even the biggest celebrity in this episode. I daresay many more people who who Christina Hendricks is, so I doubt if the show is having trouble getting stars. I didn't mind Kelis, especially since she was only judging the QF. She certainly seemed knowledgeable enough about food to do that, and I like seeing a mixture of people.

And if the producers can keep the manufactured through editing, "personal" dramas at bay, I will totally entertained.

I fervently hope so. At least I hope they keep them to a bearable minimum.