Happy Endings: Home of Manny Petty's Mani-Pedis

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

wrightstuff

wrightstuff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

I wrote this on Tumblr (yeah I know a bit lame)

Great news, even though itís annoying ABC took so long to confirm third series. Especially considering itís ABC No 2 sitcom, what were they playing at?

Anyway year of Penny continues, so suck it losers!

Now I can watch next week's episode with the confidence that it won't be the last ever episode (yay for us UK fans).

Roll on Thursday and E4's premiere of Kickball 2, it's going to be amah-zing :)

Elbaite

Elbaite

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Loved the episode. So psyched for next season.

Still, I can't help but wonder if some of my feelings were influenced by having had a birthday brunch at that hotel, which is actually in Pasadena, California. The hotel became another character for me, because it was so well cast as the site for a dream wedding.

The ballroom's in one of the pictures, here:
http://pasadena.lang...el_weddings.htm

The "reception desk" scene was set in the hotel's lobby lounge. The "desk" is actually the room's bar. It's in one of the pictures, here:
http://pasadena.lang...ternoon_tea.htm

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

just noticed Wikipedia has the production codes for season 2 now. Can re-watch the season in the intended order now. Yay!

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

So happy for the renewal, I was worried for a bit since the news for Modern Family and Suburgatory renewals came a day earlier than this show. I have a feeling it's going to move out of the post-Modern Family spot and into a tough one also, BUT the highlight is that it might see a 4th season because ABC want to try to get syndication deals to reach the 88th episode, so yes yes yes!!!!!

WrorpBB

WrorpBB

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

I was thinking the same. I heard because of the writers strike there haven't been many new shows going into syndication since 2008, so networks aren't being as quick to cancell stuff lately (shows like HE, P&R, and Community are all pretty critically acclaimed and get a lot of love online, which helps them too) which gives me hope we get more seasons of Happy Endings. Would really hate to see this show go anywhere, it's become one of my most enjoyed shows at the moment.

It would be great to see HE make syndication someday, it seems like the perfect type of show for syndication since it's the kind of highly accessable show (like Seinfeld and Friends) where you can jump into any episode, they're all very enjoyable and hilarious and it doesn't relly matter too much which order you see them in.

Edited by WrorpBB, May 13, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Nice new write-up/cast interview on NYMag.com
The story about Zach, Adam, and Damon getting in a fight with Chris Evans is pretty hilarious.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

The fight with Chris Evans, wow, okay that would be worth watching. Maybe they can get him to guest star next season and actually have a fight on screen. How amahzing that would be!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I second that, that near fight with Chris Evans while at the Playboy mansion was great and they should add it to the show. But I do disagree with the reviewer about the first season, I loved it. Thanks for the link, HarpsiPoet.

WrorpBB

WrorpBB

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Great article, the videos with them in that link are great too. I love this cast so much, I want to be best friends with all of them. I love how close they are in real life, no wonder the chemistry on the show is so perfect.

Edited by WrorpBB, May 14, 2012 @ 8:29 PM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

The show's moving to Tuesdays at 9 next season, followed by Don't Trust the B. Great pairing!

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I had a feeling it would move somewhere on Tuesday, was kinda hoping it wouldn't go against New Girl though as both shows probably share a lot of the same audience, I hope their ratings don't take a huge hit because of losing most of it's viewers to NG.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Tuesday nights and going head to head with New Girl.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

That's why DVRs were created. I love when the head-to-head shows I record air at 8pm. Then I've got a chance of getting to bed at a decent hour. When I've got head-to-head dramas at 10pm (hello Sundays!), I'm up until midnight at least. Doubling up at 9pm isn't as bad, though that flings my viewing of Rachel Maddow's show until the next morning. I love the HE/23 pairing-good job, scheduling monkeys!

Edited by braggtastic, May 15, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

The ratings are going to take a major dip. HE + New Girl are going to split the demos. It's the same audience...

It's lead in will be Dancing with the Stars (non comedy) and after at 10pm is Private Practice (a drama).

I'm not sure what ABC is trying to do on their Tuesday nights. Sandwiching in a 1 hour comedy block against other comedies on both Fox and NBC doesn't make sense.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

ABC will be bringing in a 2-hour comedy block mid-season with two new comedies in the 8PM hour. Their hope is likely that DWTS will bring viewers to Happy Endings & Apartment 23 while it's on.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I suspect they hope in vain. As far as I can tell, the core DWTS audience is people of my parents' generation, who will no doubt be mystified by the humor of the show (and go into full pearl-clutching mode when they get a look at Don't Trust the B–– in Apartment 23 right after).

Edited by Bruinsfan, May 16, 2012 @ 3:11 PM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:59 AM

Maybe they'll do a DWTS/Don't-Trust-the-B crossover and make the James-VanDerBeek-on-DWTS subplot on B a real thing and really cross promote. Then maybe HE will get a boost being in between them.... (But yeah, realistically DWTS skews so much older it's hard to see it as a good lead-in. They could use any stunts they can get.)

Edited by 2MuchTV, May 17, 2012 @ 4:01 AM.

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

In the past, sitcoms airing after DWTS have pulled in decent numbers. Waaaaay back in 2007, Samantha Who? followed it in the 9:30PM timeslot and pulled in some impressive numbers, as seen here: http://en.wikipedia....odes#Season_one, although DWTS would've pulled in a bigger audience back then than it does now (couldn't find any ratings info). But it's hopefully going to boost the show's viewership temporarily, as Samantha Who?'s ratings did dip significantly without it as it's lead-in (look at any episode that didn't air at 9:30PM in either season of the show) - and it was the massive dip without DWTS that eventually did the show in.

Hopefully the fact that Happy Endings would only be a season away from syndication after next season will work in it's favour against the ratings drops to get a fourth season, since ABC part owns the show and would profit from it.

Edited by iCrap, May 17, 2012 @ 6:39 AM.

atlpeach

atlpeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

I watch both New Girl and Happy Endings. I swear if one of them gets killed off next season...

I'm already heartbroken over the loss of GCB.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Totally agree - NG and HE are my favourite shows right now.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Tuesday nights and going head to head with New Girl.

Awesome, because happy endings totally won that spot on the DVR.

wrightstuff

wrightstuff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

so here we go then, us lucky Brits get to see the missing Kickball episode...

Alex's store is sponsoring the kickball team

"There's no way you're getting Max for the minimum"

"That's cold blooded Le-Blonde Jane"

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

You need to spoiler that stuff, since us poor Americans haven't seen it yet.

wrightstuff

wrightstuff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

So Kickball is like baseball then?

I've never played (not sure it's a thing here in UK)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Yeah, basically. The only real difference that I can remember is that you have to kick a large, red, rubber ball instead of hitting a much smaller, white ball, with a bat.

wrightstuff

wrightstuff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Ok so not a bad episode, not as brilliant as The St. Valentine's Day Maxssacre (but then nothing would be) but it's nowhere near the dud that was Full Court Dress.

The ending was kinda sweet.

Roll on season 3.

Edited by wrightstuff, May 17, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.

iceager

iceager

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Finally the kickball episode, yay! It's a fun one, maybe a bit too goofy even for Happy Endings, but you get to see everyone in a single storyline. It was exciting to see the gang one last time before season 3.

Oh, so that's how Xela is pronounced.

WrorpBB

WrorpBB

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Mike McClintock from Veep! That guy always makes the best cameos in every show

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

If you want to watch the kickball episode, send me a PM or shoot me an email- djsunyc@yahoo.com

Edited by djsunyc, May 18, 2012 @ 12:53 PM.

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Little Alex is so cute! Is it just me or do they use completely different looking kids every time they have a flashback?