Happy Endings: Home of Manny Petty's Mani-Pedis

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

(probably not, I'm guessing MF probably took home the award again?)

That's ashamed since Modern Family was extremely weak this season, it's like the writers have gotten lazy, while I thought Happy Endings was much much more developed in terms of characters and story lines.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Parks and Recreation won, not Modern Family.

BakerGirl

BakerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I discovered this show about halfway through season 2 and it's amahzing. Just bought season one to watch during my kids' practices/dance lessons/etc. Got a few strange looks for LOL'ing at my Kindle Fire, but I don't care. Just super great writing, and great acting. It's replaced Modern Family as my favorite sitcom. ABC better freaking bring it back for Season 3.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

Reading through the first episode script, I think I find it most odd that originally Jane was the younger "dumb" sister.

Edited by Perfect Xero, May 2, 2012 @ 1:44 AM.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

While this thread is bumped back up heres some new viral videos from the past week featuring some of the Happy Endings cast:

Funny Or Die sketch featuring Adam Pally
Funny Or Die sketch featuring Eliza Coupe and Ashley Judd
Funny short starring Casey Wilson and Seth Morris aka Scotty from Happy Endings (her character in this is basically Penny if she was more of a drunken mess)

WrorpBB

WrorpBB

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:31 AM

Anyone catch the HE shoutout on "New Girl" tonight?

Nick finds an old tape of himself giving his future self some advice and one of the things he says,

"Be nicer to Coach or he's gonna take off and go move in with a bunch of other white people."

Nicely done!

Edited by WrorpBB, May 2, 2012 @ 4:40 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

Heheh, I was gonna post the same thing. As much I like DW on New Girl as Coach, I think he's more fit on Happy Endings. But the shout-out was great, I loved it.

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Good news for UK fans of Happy Endings! The unaired episode, KickBall 2: The Kickening, will be airing on Channel 4 on May 17th!

http://www.channel4....aily/2012/05/17

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Good news for UK fans of Happy Endings! The unaired episode, KickBall 2: The Kickening, will be airing on Channel 4 on May 17th!

It may not be a popular opinion but I always knew that us colonies breaking away from England was a horrible mistake.

Edited by Betsyb, May 3, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Thats really strange that it's going to air in the UK first, hopefully the US airdate won't be too much later. Though if it's airing in the UK first it'll probably make it's way on the torrent sites. I don't really do much torrenting anymore so I hope we don't have to wait too long for it to air in the states.

I'm sure we'll hear about an airdate sooner or later on the happywrites twitter. Or maybe Casey will mention it when shes on Kimmel this Tuesday.

Edited by HarpsiPoet, May 3, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I've been re-watching all of the episodes as I still feel like this is my favourite show on television right now.

Dave's been finally growing on me, the way it took Jane awhile to, at first. He's just so earnest, and lately he's really been making me laugh. His reactions are often really good, too.

Weird note, Casey Wilson is such a beautiful crier. You don't really see many or any of those. Check when Max comes out to his parents, or at the last wedding episode, when Max gives a speech to her about how she's great. I thought she was so beautiful in that scene.

Other than that.... really excited to see the new episode.

Recurring themes on HE:
- mentions of Scottie Pippen
- mentions of Meryl Streep (I believe Brad likes both Mamma Mia! and The Devil Wears Prada?)
- mentions of the Chicago Bears
- Penny Hartz wearing a lot of hearts
- Alex trying to do wordplay and either failing, or doing it well and celebrating

The episode I can watch again and again is "Everybody Loves Grant". I know that this episode is controversial because the characters acted extremely wacky -- but I love it. (I also loved those wacky, absurdist, later seasons of Seinfeld that critics kind of backed away from.) I never get tired of it. I think it's my equivalent to "Jerry's Painting" on Parks and Recreation.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, May 7, 2012 @ 5:15 PM.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Heres a new video interview with Casey Wilson talking about the future of the show

Shes also on Jimmy Kimmel tomorrow night, wondering if an airdate for the extra kickball episode will be mentioned. It's airing in the UK in a few weeks, maybe it'll find it's way online if theres no plans to air it in the US anytime soon.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

I am going through HE withdrawal.

OK, how about this to pass the time:

Name your favorite one liner of the season from one character. This is not an exchange between characters but just something said by one person.

Mine will probably have to be from Max:

Women be stopping...women be stopping. Women be like "We need to stop" and Men be like "Bitch we need to go!!!"...

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

JANE: Two hours ago, I wasn't even in this wedding and now I run this bitch.

penguin suit up

penguin suit up

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Alex: "Judgment is the gluten of thoughts."

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

One of the best lines of the second season:
"Bitch, it is five thirty in the morning!"

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Great question, and easy answer from me.

"Shut up. I got hit by a cop on a Segway last Halloween. Ugh. I was wearing nothing but dolphin shorts and a feather green boa. Huh. I tried to steal his hat. Cut to. WEEKEND IN CABO. Haha. Then he went back to his Dumb Wife. 'Cause I'm fat."

- Derrick, The Quicksand Girlfriend, 1x05
His insane physicality during the 'line' and delivery are even more beautiful than the line itself.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

Heres Casey's interview on Jimmy Kimmel last night: Part 1 Part 2

She was really funny, she always seems to have a lot of embarrassing stories about herself in all her talk show appearances, I kinda get the feeling she isn't too different than Penny in real life, heh. She mentions in part 2 that they're hoping to hear about getting renewed soon. I think ABC announces their pick-ups next week.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

If abc doesn't renew this show they're crazy. I already miss it and it's only been off the air for like a month.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I've been trying to think of one but it's too hard for me. Each episode has so many great lines it.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

My DVR is starting to get full, and I was looking at eps last night to see if I could erase any of them. Even if there's a plot I don't like (Max as a bear in hiberation, for a prime example), the rest of the stories are usually strong enough for me to want to keep the ep.

My DVR is doomed to be full, I guess.

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Uh-oh.

ABC has announced several renewals today, and Happy Endings wasn't in the list, but the rest of the Wednesday comedies were - The Middle, Suburgatory and Modern Family.

Not necessarily a bad sign, but not a good one either.

The fact ABC is also allowing KickBall 2 to air in the UK next week is also not good, because they have first-air rights to the series, and in the past, they have relinquished those rights and allowed overseas networks to air them first when it's not coming back.

Edited by iCrap, May 10, 2012 @ 7:57 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Happy Endings not being renewed would be one of the dumbest decisions ever made by a network.

I think it will be renewed and then moved to another night as they try to launch another big comedy night during the week.

Edited by djsunyc, May 10, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

Reports suggest that the reason there hasn't been a renewal announcement is because they are still negotiating final details with Sony, cast and critics are not worried.

Edited by biakbiak, May 11, 2012 @ 1:43 AM.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

Yeah, Ausellio reported that renewals for Happy Endings and Apartment 23 and imminent, and he was the first to report on Parenthood and 30 Rock's renewals so I trust him.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Those two shows (HE & Apt 23) should air back to back.

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Renewed So happy.

alexinla

alexinla

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

A full season/22 Episodes!

The third year of Penny, I am doing a happy dance! Well deserved show, looking forward to the fall!

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Good Lord. I never even considered that the show was in danger until I saw some ominous information today (on the AVClub -- I guess basically what iCrap reported). So happy about the full season pick up.

My favourite show currently on television!

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, May 11, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Hooray! Glad they went for the full 22, since the show will likely be moved out of the post-Modern Family slot and to a tougher one. Even if the numbers go down at first, no need to worry about it not getting the full season, which is awesome.

Now we only have to hope this is the first season they actually air ALL the episodes upfront, with no strays hanging over to the summer!