Happy Endings: Home of Manny Petty's Mani-Pedis

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I thought it was a fairly weak episode for a season finale, but even a weak episode of HE is better than strong episodes of some other lame comedies on the air right now. Most of them, in fact.

Had we ever seen that gay couple before this episode? If we have, I don't remember.

I thought it was interesting the way they left a lot of stuff hanging, like Brad being out of a job, and the whole Dave/Penny/Alex thing. Just leaving room for a whole lot of potential next season. Here's hoping ABC doesn't screw it up and order a half-season for the start of 2013 or something dumb like that.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Had we ever seen that gay couple before this episode? If we have, I don't remember.

Derek's appeared twice before, but I don't think Eric has even been mentioned before this ep. Then again, Shershow wasn't introduced before last season's finale either.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I am slow I just realized that both seasons have ended with weddings.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Loved Jane's over-emphasized Angelina leg stance in her evening gown.

"You look like pee" was my favorite line of the night, followed by "I don't get too invested in your boyfriend's that I only meet in dialogue."

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I know weíre heading for the unfortunate direction of a Penny/Dave/Alex triangle but I just donít see the Penny connection on his part. Thereís something about the way heís looked at Alex since the pilot that remains unchanged. He loves her. And no matter how dumb Alex can get (and thatís very) she fits with Dave. He brings out her best sides. They were a mess at first but now I think they compliment each other and although Iím still not ready for them to be in a full on relationship, I am rooting for them to be endgame.

Even the few hints of Penny's feelings for Dave brought a new level of angst to the show that I'm just not interested in watching. Maybe they could hook up and realise it's not going to work but I don't want them to try turn it into some sort of major triangle.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I also have to say that the idea of Penny and Dave getting involved when his dad and her mom are together wierds me out big time.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Mandona wasn't as good as I hoped they would be. Paly's voice wasn't up to the song, and Madonna isn't exactly known for her range.

Yeah. Even though initially I thought the "pitchy Pete" bit was funny, before Max had said that, I would not have expected him to be a particularly good vocalist, but as soon as he started essentially ragging on someone else's voice it set the expectation that he'd sound pretty good. I mean, not that people don't easily criticize others for flaws they may also have themselves, but for me at least, having seen Max call the other guy out is what made it underwhelming to hear Mandonna.

HarpsiPoet

HarpsiPoet

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

Some new interviews to check out regarding the season finale and interesting plans for the show if they get a third season.

Vulture interviews Happy Endings creator David Caspe

Eliza Coupe & Casey Wilson interviewed by Hitfix

Zachary Knighton interviewed by The Onion AV Club

At least Caspe seems positive about the show getting another season but says they never know for sure what will happen, the fact that there's a chance (though it seems slim) that the show won't come back still scares me a little, no way I'm ready to say goodbye to this show after how great it's become this season. Though I still say it's a safe bet for renewel, only thing I'm still a little worried about (like some others have mentioned) is that ABC will treat it like crap next year and give it the Cougar Town treatment and hold it until mid-season with a reduced season order. Really hope that doesn't happen, that would really suck and probably kill the show, hopefully they've learned from their mistake by doing that to CT this season and that won't happen.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

Never really thought I'd be into a Brian Austin Green character... that's never happened to me before.

I've only seen him on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and his Derek made me a fan so it was nice to see him here. I hope he lasts longer than most of Penny's boyfriends.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

He'll always be nerdy geeky David Silver to me. I don't know if I can take him seriously with Penny because I'll always think he's a second away from busting out a hilariously white version of a hip hop dance move while wearing a hideously patterned or color blocked button down shirt, pointing a video camera at Kelly Taylor, or sleeping with Ariel in the back of a limo. Penny can do better than that!

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

I'll always think he's a second away from busting out a hilariously white version of a hip hop dance move while wearing a hideously patterned or color blocked button down shirt, pointing a video camera at Kelly Taylor, or sleeping with Ariel in the back of a limo.

Hahaha, I remember that. But he's hot now so Penny is safe.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

I've only seen him on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and his Derek made me a fan so it was nice to see him here.

Me too! It was good to see him again.

I hope this show comes back. It always makes me happy to watch it.

DearEvette

DearEvette

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

Speaking of a shout-out to all things 90s --- when the whole gang were sitting in that one room, all in their black tuxes --- the whole composition of the scene looked like one of those 90s Calvin Klein commercials.

Alos, Jane looked smokin' in her black dress!

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Is there any way I can get Casey Wilson my phone #? lol...

Do men really find her attractive? She has a great figure, sure, but her face distracts me SO much. Part of it is the way she twists her mouth. I kept looking at her and Brian Austin Green and thinking, really?? ElectricBoogalo, I always think of David Silver too! Though I must admit that he's come a looong way from the spiked hair, colorblocked tees, and single earring. Much like real life, the dorky high school kid has grown up just fine.

I thought Max sounded a lot like Gavin Rossdale from Bush. Was that really him singing? It didn't sound like him.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Do men really find her attractive? She has a great figure, sure, but her face distracts me SO much. Part of it is the way she twists her mouth. I kept looking at her and Brian Austin Green and thinking, really??

I find her the most attractive woman on the cast (not a guy but I am a lesbian).

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

Do men really find her attractive? She has a great figure, sure, but her face distracts me SO much. Part of it is the way she twists her mouth. I kept looking at her and Brian Austin Green and thinking, really??

How dare you talk about my future wife that way - lol...Elisha has always been one of my favorites for years but Penny (despite her hair this season) is a cutie pie. And I like the fact that she's not crack skinny like Jane. Even Elisha isn't hollywood crack skinny. As Brad said..."Get some meat on them bones woman!!!"

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

I'm always attracted to Brad... I mean, Damon Wayans Jr. Hmmm. Anyone watched My Wife and Kids, back in the day? He was younger (of course) but really, he doesn't change much.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

I'd probably find Penny more physically attractive if I didn't hate her personality with the fire of a million blazing suns. As it is, I'm kind of baffled as to how so many men adore her...especially once they've actually heard her speak in her "abbrevs" and heard her prattle on about how awesome she thinks she is.

She has a great figure, sure, but her face distracts me SO much. Part of it is the way she twists her mouth.

Agreed. The character is over-the-top enough as is, but the actress's exaggerated facial contortions push her into the category of cartoon level caricature for me.

I really, really hate love triangles, so I'm hoping the Alex-Dave-Penny one is very quickly resolved. The success of this show rests on the intra-group chemistry, and I hope adding the usual contrived, triangle-related angst we see on a million other shows doesn't alter that special group dynamic beyond repair. I do have faith in these writers, but I doubt that even they can make love triangles enjoyable and amusing to me.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

I thought Max sounded a lot like Gavin Rossdale from Bush.

I was thinking Scott Stapp from Creed.

Edited by Dandesun, Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Deep down, I like to think that Derrick and Eric got their inspiration for the ladies wearing suits by Carrie Bradshaw wearing a suit to Standford's gay weddding in Sex and the City 2 because that seems like something they'd totally do.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Pink. I could take pink tux, but not yellow...

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I'd probably find Penny more physically attractive if I didn't hate her personality with the fire of a million blazing suns. As it is, I'm kind of baffled as to how so many men adore her...especially once they've actually heard her speak in her "abbrevs" and heard her prattle on about how awesome she thinks she is.

When does she prattle about how awesome she thinks she is? She is optimistic but also self-loathing. The root of the character is that she is a constant loser. Can't get a boyfriend, her apartment curses her to be a spinster, can't stay on a diet, can never win the bar's race etc. The only thing I can think of her doing that is the Year of Penny and even that was because all of the other years were so terrible this one would he her year.

I don't find Penny to abuse abreviations or have more exaggerated mannerisms than Brad.

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:22 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

(First black sheriff on Mars?

"Or in Arizona, whichever comes first".

Mandona wasn't as good as I hoped they would be

They're only Alex's third favorite Madonna cover band in the Chicago - land area. That's not high praise, that's just a fancy way of saying she likes them, and part of her like is probably because one of her bff's is the lead singer.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:00 PM.

marcia marcia

marcia marcia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Ok, I didn't think they were doing a kid n play dance at the end but were recreating the dance that happens at the end of the "like a prayer" video.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

To me it looked like the majority of the people on stage were doing that hand clapping, head waving dance that Madonna was doing at the end of "Like a prayer" but Max and Brad were doing the Kid n Play.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Do men really find her attractive?

This guy does.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Just watched the finale again. The entire Penny/Dave thing is on Penny's end. Dave is still 100% into Alex. I expect Penny to feel a few things early on (with Max knowing) and then quickly drop when she gets a steady boyfriend...only for it to resurface at the end of the season but this time, with Dave feeling the same way. But it's a comedy y'all...so expect the zaniness to be back and all the roof stoof to be minimal...

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

To me it looked like the majority of the people on stage were doing that hand clapping, head waving dance that Madonna was doing at the end of "Like a prayer" but Max and Brad were doing the Kid n Play.

Totally doing the Kid N Play. That cracked me up. I love this show so freaking much.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

I expect Penny to feel a few things early on (with Max knowing) and then quickly drop when she gets a steady boyfriend...only for it to resurface at the end of the season but this time, with Dave feeling the same way.

Exactly and I guarantee that if the show continues to run smoothly then Dave/Penny will be next seasons cliffhanger. And then if I'm lucky they'll give it one or two episodes before dropping the whole thing a la Joey/Rachel style.

But I'm never lucky when it comes to couples on tv shows so I fully expect to be stuck watching Penny angst over Dave and then later vice versa for the long run. Even if they try to liven it with zaniness, I only had to look Penny's irritatingly angsty face in the finale to know it won't be fun.

Edited by Chas411, Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:46 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

It's all good Chas - I mean she got over it really quickly after talking to Alex and then meeting up with Brian Austin Green. I think as long as there's a dude around, she'll be OK. And like I said earlier, weddings bring out these type of emotions in people...