Happy Endings: Home of Manny Petty's Mani-Pedis

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

And you could tell the tight scripts were written by experienced talent, and then punched by comics.

Maybe by comics whose style I don't care for. I thought the script showed some spark, but a lot of jokes weren't as sharp as they should be. I was thinking the writers must not be all that experienced. The cast is fairly able, I'd say; far from the most gifted I've seen, but not slouches. The writing needs work.

Executive producer Jonathan Groff worked on the last, weakest season of Scrubs. That doesn't fill me with confidence. But Eliza Coupe was the best thing about that season, so he's not a complete bonehead.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

To be perfectly honest I didn't know about this show until I was watching Modern Family but the promos looked decent and nothing else was on at that time so I stuck around. Not as good as Cougar town but still pretty funny. I just hope it gets a decent timeslot.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 11:44 AM

Yeah, Damon Jr. has said that people joke that Damon Sr. just birthed him himself, because they resemble each other so strongly.

I always think Damon Sr. is younger than he is and spent the entire time I was watching this wondering if he was 10 years old when Jr. was born ;)

Didn't realize that Jane and Alex were sisters (did they mention that somewhere?).

I think pretty early on during the 1st episode? I remember a throwaway line to Jane after the not-wedding..."Jane, I know she's your sister, but..."

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

I wasn't at all impressed with the pilot, but the second episode was a bit better. There's something about the writing that feels off, like the writers aren't quite sure what to show versus what to tell. A lot of the lines seemed forced or lazy, and there didn't seem to be a huge amount of chemistry between any of the actors. I'll give it a chance for awhile because there were some things that made me laugh, but I'm not sure how successful it'll be in the long run.

Jonas Quimby

Jonas Quimby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

I thought the show was funny, and I enjoyed it. I liked all the actors and characters (on the fence about Alex), and I thought they all worked well together.

I loved that the gay character isn't a stereotype -- that's he's a slightly chubby, "regular guy" who just happens to sleep with dudes (and I loved the contrast between him and Derrick, the "gay husband" he brings in for Penny). I thought it was great, too, that there was an interracial couple and it was no big deal.

The actor playing Dave was one of my favorites from "Flash Forward," so good to see him here.

I think this show is way better than "Mr. Sunshine" (which wasn't funny) and "Traffic Light" (likewise).

this reeks of "I've seen it before".

Unless you wrote the first comedy ever, everything is derivative.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

While I liked the supporting case, the two leads just aren't funny.

I kinda get Cuthbert because she's has some celeb cache. But who decided to risk the show's success on Zachary Knighton, given that he's not a natural comedic talent? I don't think I've seen him in anything, and I watch a fair bit of TV/movies.

MooCat Pretzel

MooCat Pretzel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

Overall, I didn't think it was that bad. If I have nothing else to do, I'll watch. However, being a big fan of 24, I was distracted by how weird Elisha Cuthbert looked. Anyone else think she had a bad brow wax or something?

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

I think Knighton was better in the second episode - but then, Dave wasn't really in a funny place in the first episode. I think there was a problem with the tone of the pilot. I think Knighton does have decent chemistry with Cuthbert. But Dave's the straight man (not the Straight Gay Dude, mind). I don't think the part requires a performer known for comic characterizations. Knighton comes across as a decent guy, and it's more the others who are comic foils. The biggest laugh I got from the pilot, I have to say was at Dave's line about "I can't believe you got White Trash Tourist Braids! You look like Predator, and it feels like you're going to eat my brains and keep my skull as a trophy!"

Kind of a mouthful, but the idea of Elisha Cuthbert as Predator is funny.

Edited by Sandman, May 2, 2011 @ 7:19 AM.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

I already love Casey's character just from the trailer alone, her birthday party meltdown and picking a fight with the younger girl at the gym were great parts they included in the trailer.

Casey Wilson has always annoyed the hell out of me, and I for one was hoping that when Casey came back to "physically fight" the younger girl at the gym (as opposed to what, mentally fight her?), that the younger girl kicked her wideload of an ass.

I'm not sure what they did to Eliza Coupe, but her character is basically stripped of everything that makes her such an interesting actress to watch. She is too good to be playing the umpteenth version of the married perfectionist. Get her back on Community playing Abed's soulmate, STAT!

While I accept that Elisha Cuthbert is simply not a good actress, I still am a fan of hers, and even she deserves better than the thinly written character she's been given.

Damon Wayans Jr, on the other hand, is this shows saving grace. Hopefully he is cast in a good sitcom after this show gets canceled.

The other two dudes are just interchangeable and completely forgettable. The only way to tell them apart is that one constantly needs to remind us that he is in fact gay.

If they want to really do something interesting, they could weave a plotline where the other dude slowly realizes why his relationship with Spawn failed. It's because he is gay and has been in love with the chubby bromosexual the whole time. Certainly better than the young Kathy Bates outing every one of Casey Wilson's love interests.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Unless you wrote the first comedy ever, everything is derivative.

I'll give you that. However, I still felt like there was no real spark to the show - some degree of uniqueness or refreshing quality to keep me interested. After all, I got into "How I Met Your Mother", which also could have been written off as a "Friends" clone; yet "Mad Love" has yet to do anything to interest me.

While I liked the supporting case, the two leads just aren't funny

I thought more about my initial write-off yesterday, and I agree with this statement. I don't know whether the two who broke up at the wedding are supposed to be considered the "lead" characters, but the typical format for this type of show puts them there. The supporting players hit the funny lines very well; perhaps it is much easier to be a supporting player, because not as much rides on them. I'm going to continue watching this show, mainly for them.

The "lead" characters were much more predictable: how could one not assume where their stories were going to end up. Elisha Cuthbert ends up doing some road company Jenna Elfman performance, mixed with a little too much Kate Hudson. Meanwhile, as much as they were trying to give the guy some of the funny, it somehow didn't work for him. Eliza Coupe could benefit from a dialing back on the shrill in her character as well.

pluckyme

pluckyme

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Pilot episodes (in my experience) are almost always disappointing. They're all set-up and backstory so that we can get the info we need to make sense of brand-new characters and relationships. I thought the second episode was surprisingly good, and there were more than a few times that I laughed out loud (which doesn't happen that often with sitcoms!). I'm looking forward to seeing how these relationships develop.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

But Dave's the straight man (not the Straight Gay Dude, mind). I don't think the part requires a performer known for comic characterizations.

I disagree. I find in comedy that the straight man has to have even better comedic timing and chops because he doesn't have the outlet to get laughs by flailing around or saying crazy things.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 4:16 PM

I don't think the [straight man] part requires a performer known for comic characterizations.

I disagree. I find in comedy that the straight man has to have even better comedic timing and chops because he doesn't have the outlet to get laughs by flailing around or saying crazy things

I should have been more clear: I meant that I don't think the straight man role requires a known quantity, or a big name. I do think that the straight man has to have excellent timing, among other gifts. But chops and reputation aren't the same thing. I wouldn't say that Knighton isn't a natural comic talent, and that fact that he hasn't been a lead performer before isn't necessarily a good indicator of his ability.

Edited by Sandman, Apr 14, 2011 @ 9:43 PM.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 6:19 PM

- It's refreshing to see a gay character who isn't stereotypically gay. (Modern Family, take note!)

At first I totally agreed with what you just said (hence the quote), and then I remembered that I actually think Modern Family was a good representation, especially since it's a couple. But I did enjoy seeing a gay character on TV that's not more stereotypical (I could just watch way too much Glee), because the guy on this show is a lot like the gay guys that I know. I actually just sent a text to my best friend (who happens to be gay) and was like, OMG you have to watch this show. It's us! I'm your gay husband and we're ridiculous! That bit just made me laugh and laugh.

I gave Perfect Couples four tries and deleted it, Traffic Light got one...so I'm hoping this clicks. I like all of the characters so far, especially after the second episode. The first was a big awkward, but eh, it's a pilot.

Anyway, loves it! Will definitely watch next week. I'm glad Cougartown has a comedy friend besides Modern Family on my DVR.

snav0561

snav0561

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

ABC was smart to show both episodes last night. Because after the pilot, I don't know if I would have come back next week. The second episode sold me. Count me among those who liked the non-stereotypical gay man. Like Max, some of are even Wisconsin Badger fans. Maybe he is based on me. I too like confused college kids. Although I am a little past chubby now.

I am most worried about the drama between Alex and Dave. This cannot become another Ross and Rachael. If that happens I am gone.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 7:43 PM

Ah yes - the "non-stereotypical" gay guy.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the guy was really funny, and I don't want to see the 500th Jack MacFarlane wannabe any more than anyone else. But just because the snarky Chandler Bing fill-in is actually gay now, but is schlubby like Ted Mosby and watches football, I don't know if GLAAD should begin nomination proceedings. Especially when, to make up for it, I imagine we will have to hear him make the "...and I sleep with men" comments multiple times per episode, to remind us.

But then, I hated "Modern Family" for the cliché view I had of its Pilot. So I still want to give this show more than two views before passing judgment.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

Especially when, to make up for it, I imagine we will have to hear him make the "...and I sleep with men" comments multiple times per episode, to remind us.

I feel like they did this at least 3 times in the pilot.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

While I agree the "sleep with men" thing was overdone, I did kind of like how they had him bring in her dream gay and show "yeah, we won't be doing that here." I think it is great that there are more shows having gay characters on them (love you, Pretty Little Liars!), but normally they are of the Just Jack! persuasion. Sure, there are guys out there that are like that and more power to them, but it is nice to have another personality-type represented as well that isn't all clean and shiny and dressed oh so well AND the only other character that I can think that is like that is the guy bullying Kurt on Glee, which is pretty sad.

Although the case may be that I need to watch more tv and am just missing out.

Edited by jennifda, Apr 14, 2011 @ 8:45 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

because the snarky Chandler Bing fill-in is actually gay now

Hee.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

The stereotypical gay guy made me hysterical. It was so over the top. It was never not funny to me.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 8:57 AM

who decided to risk the show's success on Zachary Knighton, given that he's not a natural comedic talent? I don't think I've seen him in anything, and I watch a fair bit of TV/movies.

Knighton isn't a total stranger to comedy; back in '05, he was one of the leads (along with Rachelle Lefevre and Charlie Finn) in Life on a Stick, Victor Fresco's first project after Andy Richter Controls the Universe (and a couple of stops before Better Off Ted). Of course, Fox only aired five of its 13 episodes before yanking the show, so it's not like I'd exactly call it a pedigree, more a résumé entry. He also played one of Matthew McConaughey's surf buddies in Surfer, Dude a couple years ago.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

But just because the snarky Chandler Bing fill-in is actually gay now...

Now?!? Chandler never really managed to convince me even when he got married.

I really enjoy the interactions between most of the characters, particularly Brad & Max and Jane & Alex (though oddly Penny is my favorite character so far). I just hope they don't start going down a will-they-won't-they path for Dave and Alex once they get over the fallout from their breakup and start interacting as friends again.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 11:07 AM

HATED THIS SHOW! I felt it was trying too hard - the humor felt forced and there was absolutely no chemistry between the characters. Watched the first one, didn't even snicker and didn't bother watching the second one. All the so-called funny lines, I'd already seen in the trailer and I didn't find them funny then. Felt like it was really trying to be another "Perfect Couples" and failed miserably. Will NOT watch again.

larme

larme

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 3:12 PM

I was agreeably surprised by the first two episodes - it's not different from other similar shows by any means, but it does feel a tiny bit fresher, I found the characters pretty easy to like, and the second episode especially was pretty funny, so I'm looking forward to more episodes.

All Over Blue

All Over Blue

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

I hope everyone calms down next episode. They are all so "Hey kids, let's put on a show in the barn!" But, there were some very funny lines sprinkled throughout. I think if the gay guy had been written snarky, it would have improved the dynamics of the group. I'll give it another look.

The 2nd epi was much better and I did find the bicycle and funeral scenes pretty funny.

Edited by All Over Blue, Apr 15, 2011 @ 6:06 PM.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

Any show that will give me Stephen Guarino in even a guest-starring role is good enough for me. I'm totally in for the season.

Draaaahmahhhhh!

Edited by Ethereal Zoe, Apr 15, 2011 @ 6:29 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 9:50 PM

The actor playing Dave was one of my favorites from "Flash Forward," so good to see him here.

Thank you! I kept trying to place him all through the pilot. I knew I recognized that face.

I think this show is way better than "Mr. Sunshine"

I have to agree. At least it has more potential. I do think, though, that Elisha Cuthbert is a problem. I don't find her funny and I really don't know that she has enough warmth for a show like this. Maybe I am projecting Kim Bauer, but she was the one I was least convinced would have such close friends.

Casey Wilson also oversold the workout scene IMO. I hope she can settle down and bring this character to life. I liked her on SNL, but this is probably more suited for her.

I thought the birthday dinner meltdown really worked well and gave good insight into the characters.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

I loved that the party was like a Walker Family dinner on Brothers & Sisters: no boundaries, personal issues exploding like landmines, and a couple of outsiders who are completely clueless about how to handle the drama.

Edited by Bruinsfan, Apr 16, 2011 @ 9:44 AM.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

I thought the birthday dinner meltdown really worked well and gave good insight into the characters.

I agree. There was something about the energy and quickness about the dialogue at the birthday dinner that made it really enjoyable. Sort of like the funniest conversations in Seinfeld or Friends. It also made it fun to watch again to see what jokes I missed because the conversation went by too fast. The first time I heard them sing Happy Birthday with the 30th birthday cake, I didn't catch that Max actually sang "Happy 26th birthday dear Penny" instead of the normal line, with him emphasizing the '26'.

I liked the second episode, but it felt a bit more derivative. Though the total subversion of the cliche of the stereotypical, schlubby, and female(!) gay guys made up for some of that though. And I think the actors who play Brad and Max have great chemistry.

I hope this show sticks around, so far new comedies this season have been more miss than hit (Mr. Sunshine, Traffic Lights, etc).

Edited by futurechemist, Apr 16, 2011 @ 2:23 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I'm embarrassed to discover how much more I like this than I ought to. I can easily point out things that are lacking, starting with Elisha Cuthbert's lack of any comedic spark, and several places (especially in the pilot) where they seemed to accidentally have left in blank lines ("physically fight," anyone?) that were to serve as placeholders till they actually came up with something funny.

And yet it appeals to me. Most of the interplay between the others, in various groupings, has the spark of life and some genuine surprise and wit. I have (*blush*) rewatched both episodes twice more on hulu, just for the sake of moments that tickle me. Little bits of byplay or eye contact sometimes grab me, or several points where they all talk at once (I wish I knew everything everyone was saying in the "Kathy Bates" tag to the pilot). That "raise your hand if you got laid last night" and all 3 raise their hand? kills me every time. ("Confused college student," ha!)

And as a schlubby non-gay-looking gay guy who seems to hang out largely with straight friends, I feel like Max speaks for me. (OK, not seriously, but I do enjoy him.)

Edited by Rinaldo, Apr 16, 2011 @ 9:15 PM.