Breaking In

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

310 replies to this topic

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 9:01 AM

I didn't like the plot so much because "main guy pining for hot girl with bf" is a boring sitcom cliche for me. Especially since BH seemed like he had it going on in college, so I am doubting he didn't have an fwb or was able to hook up at parties. It makes him look pathetic. On the other hand, having Oz call him out on it was a nice addition. I also don't like how "hot girl" never knows the guy is into her. Girls are pretty sharp, they know damn well if someone is into her. They may not like the guy in that way, and it's fine, but this is just a boring plot.

But I do like the characters and it is a pretty good show. I would just prefer them interacting as a team instead. Wacky hijinks are pretty much built into the premise, but it works better for me if they ensue with everyone on some elaborate job, or even trying to break into Oz's house.

I did like how the boyfriend was shown to be capable in solving the problem about the radio communications. It shows that there's some smarts there. Though it was a total dick move to use Cam's money for a vacation. I totally agree Cam was in the right for calling BS on him.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

I didn't like the plot so much because "main guy pining for hot girl with bf" is a boring sitcom cliche for me.

Since Raising Hope (another favorite of mine) is doing this exact same plot right now I have to completely agree. It is annoying and tired and I would like them as just being friends and working together.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

I'm not saying Cam shouldn't flirt with her. I flirt with girls all the time. I flirt with the staff here. When Mel said if she does shots she might use him, and Cam was like, "oh no". Yeah it's funny, but he should be smart enough to know damn well that she wouldn't be able to look him in the eye after, and with their team relying a lot on timing, it would ruin the jobs. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have sent her a picture of Jack Daniel's on her phone as a joke.

It seems to me like Cam is in his mid 20s, and I think that's old enough to be over this kind of BS. *Every* guy has one or two hot friends that they get along with and probably wouldn't mind boning, but at the same time they know that the ladies aren't into them that way and it's not going to happen, so don't waste your effort. Hell, I was joking with my hot friend that long ago when we met, the window was probably open a crack and I didn't move on it quick enough. She totally deadpanned: Yeah, that window never opened. So we laugh and that's that.

If anything Cam and her should be going out, so other girls will see him with a hot friend, and it will help hook him up. In the context of the show, I think it's funnier if Cam just had tons and tons of dates ruined because of his job, or the co-workers just pranked him so much, etc.

Television is largely a writer's medium, but damn they fall back on the same crap so much sometimes.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

Yes! Dutch is part of the team. And Aw, love haikus. Dutch & Melanie 4ever! Heehee.

I gotta say, I had a little doubt with the pilot, but this show has been consistently getting better. Seriously, if they would quit falling back on some of the same tired crap, it would be even better.

BH's characters on pretty much every show always has a crush on one girl. What's up with that? I guess it's supposed to make us root for his character. It kind of worked on Reaper. But circumstances were different on that show - they didn't have a totally awesome character as that girl's boyfriend.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

I think Dutch is annoying and not as dumb as he appears to be. He knew exactly how to play on Cam's sympathy to get his money. I thought they explained that Cam was a geek when he was younger so Melanie might be the first girl he's had a crush on. On Reaper Sam and Andi knew each since high school and Sam never told her that he liked her so the situation is a little different. Bret plays lovelorn characters very well.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

I thought they explained that Cam was a geek when he was younger so Melanie might be the first girl he's had a crush on.

I don't know. Cam said he was in college for a long time, so I think he was 25 ish. In the pilot he was walking around fist banging people so it looked like he was running the place. Granted people develop sexually differently, but geek or not, he didn't strike me as someone who hasn't gone on a date or two or had sex.

Melanie is super hot, so it's not like he isn't going to be attracted to her, but I think he's old enough now to know that it just doesn't happen with some girls sometimes. That's just the way it works.

I think Andi pretty much knew Sam was into her. BH does play lovelorn pretty well, for sure, but my point is "main character pining for hot girl with boyfriend" is pretty played out. Majorly played out. I've yet to see these "triangles" appear in real life, and I just think it's a cheap shortcut for writers to manufacture drama on a show. You look at a show like White Collar, which, not the same as BI, but similarly still breezy and brisk, and we're all gushing about how refreshing it is that the main character is in a healthy relationship. I'm not saying Sam needs a girlfriend or wife, but normal dating or off and on fwbs can fit into the theme of the show with not too much effort on the writers.

Other than that, I like the show a lot. I think it plays to BH's strengths as an actor.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

I'm shipping CamMel - it's the ship of the desert.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

OMG! What episode is this? And they dared challenge the "Ted McGinley curse"? What were they thinking? Yet another Christian Slater vehicle-RIP.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 11:50 PM

So basically, Melanie is Sarah Walker but with an evil father. *rolls eyes*

I like the jobs and I like Oz, but the rest of this show is starting to bore me.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 12:38 AM

I loved it the Nerf Gun fight was hilarious. My brother and nephew are huge Star Wars fans so Cash's film had me cracking up. Cash annoyed me in the pilot but I love him now.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 3:36 AM

So basically, Melanie is Sarah Walker but with an evil father. *rolls eyes*

For all the problems with Chuck, at least they built pretty solid characters. I only dimly remember S1, but I feel like they did more with Sarah, while Mel's still a cipher.

I like the jobs and I like Oz, but the rest of this show is starting to bore me.

They should keep dialing down the Cam crush on Mel, esp since Dutch is pretty entertaining. Not sure I get the appeal of Josh or Cash though. Oz is definitely the best part of the show.

This show really is a 'weird stuff happens' show rather than a comedy per se since so many of the attempted jokes fall so flat. That said, I am a sucker for any show making an ALF reference, and I will even admit that ALF was really bad, but that was when I was a kid and had no taste. Hell, I even watched the ALF Saturday morning cartoon.

Anyone weirded out that Breaking In and Happy Endings both did Nerf gun stuff this episode? And did anyone else feel like it was a semi-ripoff of Community's awesome paintball ep from last year?

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 7:29 AM

but I feel like they did more with Sarah, while Mel's still a cipher.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to the fact that they have essentially the same backstory, and they're both the main love interest on their respective shows.

And did anyone else feel like it was a semi-ripoff of Community's awesome paintball ep from last year?

Not really, especially since Community is apparently going to be ripping itself off this year with another paintball episode.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

I liked this one better than last week. Cool casting with Ted McGinley. And the ALF alias. He seemed to be enjoying themselves. I liked the quick gags like the cone of silence. Especially CS gesticulating all over the place when they panned the camera out.

The show works better with everyone in on the plot. I don't think they really need a B-plot. The Star Wars movie was funny, but they didn't need as much time. The payoff with the "You should have asked me to be Leia," was obvious, but still cute. It didn't need that much screen time. Although I guess they were making a subtle nod to Mel joining the dark side and being redeemed.

I don't know if Dutch needs to be around as much. But he doesn't annoy me that much. Oz on the job, and thinking two steps ahead is cool addition that I'd like to see more of once and a while. The postcards at the end was sweet too, without being sappy.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:32 AM

Not really, especially since Community is apparently going to be ripping itself off this year with another paintball episode.

(unspoilered now that NBC has promo'ed paintball II)

Yeah, but that's Community's thing and besides, they go all out with it, whereas Breaking In - for all that it's got its own very elastic reality - really pulled its punches. Not just with the nerf gunnage, but with everything.

coastal515

coastal515

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 8:40 AM

I'm actually loving this show. It's one of the few that makes me laugh out loud. This episode was filled with so many awesome 80's-ish shout-outs:
Gordon Shumway!
putting on lipstick with her boobs a la Molly Ringwald
CS using a bow and arrow shoutout from when he was in Kevin Costner's Robin Hood
Cone of Silence
of course, all the Star Wars stuff

I know I'm missing some but next week, Goonies!!

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 9:54 AM

Yeah, but that's Community's thing and besides, they go all out with it, whereas Breaking In - for all that it's got its own very elastic reality - really pulled its punches. Not just with the nerf gunnage, but with everything.

The thing is: I wouldn't want Breaking In to go all out with something like that. Sure, it's not a particularly realistic show, but it has its own version of reality, and it sticks to those self-imposed tonal constraints. I don't want this show to become like Community, which imposes such constraints and then breaks them on purpose, repeatedly.

janet a

janet a

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

Wired on tonight's episode:

http://www.wired.com...on-breaking-in/

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 12:33 PM

I'm starting to like this. I also had no idea that Odette Annabel was Odette Yustman. I kept thinking she looked alot like her and it turns out it is her and she just got married.

I consider this show to be a lot like the Loop, in tone and the way it plots out. I liked that show too, so hopefully Fox will be better to this, than to the Loop.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 2:34 AM

I consider this show to be a lot like the Loop, in tone and the way it plots out. I liked that show too, so hopefully Fox will be better to this, than to the Loop.

Yes!

I loved the part when Dutch got his peanut allergy.

Josh: Dude... What-is-wrong with your face?
Dutch: What's right with yours?

lol

And then everyone thinking he was Sloth. Too funny.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 10:17 AM

And then everyone thinking he was Sloth.

I could not believe how long it took me to get the Sloth thing--all the way until he started saying "Hey you guys. . . " I kept thinking the Superman shirt was a Smallville shoutout (heh, Lex Luthor in a Superman tee).

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

I liked that everyone was on the job again. Even though the actual job was pretty wacky. Why bother delivering the screener *at* the con? No big deal. Also, very good to show that Mel does need some space, so maybe that will pop up again now and then.

Good jokes and good timing by everyone: from the magic camp call back, to the whipping out of the Xena costume, and the "courthouse" joke. She's a judge, racist!

I knew "Sloth" would make an appearance, but I think they wasted the chance. I like how the actor seems pretty game to do dumb stuff and really goes for it though. (I didn't watch Smallville, so I don't know how he was on there, but I got the Superman shirt joke.) Even the sushi was pretty funny.

I'm sorry, but I'm 12, and boner pills was hilarious. But I can't believe that Cam never saw Goonies. He grew up in the 80s, and Goonies was *huge*. I can't imagine even if he wasn't into it that some of his friends dragged him to the movies to see it.

I'm probably the only person who saw Broken Arrow. That was such a WTF line, I was cracking up.

nmviewer

nmviewer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

I loved last night's ep!! Great shoutouts to geekdom and I love the "Broken Arrow" homage. The show's catching it's stride. I've always been a big Slater fan and Rosebaum's doing a good job with Dutch. Harrison is doing well keeping Cam on the edge of 'sad sack' without going too far.

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

I'm probably the only person who saw Broken Arrow. That was such a WTF line, I was cracking up.

Nope I totally got it. I'm loving all the subtle CS previous role slide ins they keep doing.

grendel

grendel

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

Nope I totally got it. I'm loving all the subtle CS previous role slide ins they keep doing.

I'm waiting for them to do some job that requires Oz to go undercover as a pirate radio DJ:)

Or something where they cast Bruce Boxleitner as Oz's older brother.

Assuming Cam went to University at 18 and spent 7 years hiding out there, he would have been born in 1985-86...the same year Goonies came out. While he is a hacker, he hasn't been show to really be much of a geek (which is actually quite a refreshing change) so I can totally buy him not being familiar with it.

As annoying as Dutch can be, I can also see why Melanie likes him. He is pretty sweet to her and while he may be an ass we've never seen him be that way towards her. I wouldn't shed any tears if they got away from the "lead has to pursue the girl" cliche and had Cam and Mel become simply good friends.

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

I'm waiting for them to do some job that requires Oz to go undercover as a pirate radio DJ:)

I wish I could find it but I know when the series was first announced, Slater said they would be making some Pump Up the Volume references. S as in plural. I've been anxiously waiting myself. :)

Found it!

Q: Can we expect any Pump Up the Volume references in the show?
Christian Slater: Yes, definitely. There’ll be—as many references as we can throw in. As many references as Adam Goldberg is comfortable throwing in. We’re certainly willing to take those chances and kind of—hopefully not overdo it but keep a nice, fine balance.

Source: http://www.lenalamor...later-2011.html

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

As annoying as Dutch can be, I can also see why Melanie likes him. He is pretty sweet to her and while he may be an ass we've never seen him be that way towards her. I wouldn't shed any tears if they got away from the "lead has to pursue the girl" cliche and had Cam and Mel become simply good friends.

Every girl I've ever cooked for has totally fawned over it. So I can buy that Melanie is into Dutch. Plus, he is massively devoted to her; he rubs her feet at work and isn't all douchey about PDA. Even so, a girl needs her space.

I'm crossing my fingers they move away from "lead has to pursue girl" too. It's a cheap tv sitcom out. I don't know how much they are going to show the crew outside of work, but either her or Dutch would be a great wingman for Cam. One thing I liked about Reaper was when the gang would just hang out at the bar and drink beers and shoot the shit. Maybe there's not time for that on a half hour show, and it's basically a workplace sitcom, so I guess that is probably out.

I guess I'm getting Cam's age off. I didn't even know BH was born in '82 either. I just assumed he was a more social guy in college; you'd think he would have hung around with some people and caught the movie now and then. And now they're saying he wasn't sociable in college. I'm not buying from what they showed in the pilot, but ok.

It is ok to be a gamer, and into Goonies and Xena, and still catch a Lakers game and drink some beers too. I have to laugh sometimes how tv characters need to fit into certain boxes.

The smurf joke was kind of cute, but TPTB did know that he was dressed from Avatar, right? Why not dress him as a smurf, or have him say a line about banging another Na'vi? It seems like they wrote the joke first and didn't think the audience knew what smurfs were, in which case why bother? That was weird.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

To me, the Smurf joke worked fine. I actually thought the geek love in this ep was much more sincere than, say, nearly anything on Chuck's current season. So I'm 99% sure they wanted Josh to be a Na'vi who hooked up with a Smurf cosplayer - the point is just that both require blue makeup. (Though going for geek references meant forgoing an Arrested Development reference there, but oh well.)

It is ok to be a gamer, and into Goonies and Xena, and still catch a Lakers game and drink some beers too. I have to laugh sometimes how tv characters need to fit into certain boxes.

True enough.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

OMG, Dutch doing the naked sushi thing was awesome... great parody of the scene from the first Sex and the City movie where Samantha did the same thing for her boyfriend for Valentine's day but he came home late, and she yelled at him about how she slaved all day hand-rolling the sushi. "Where have you been? I hand-rolled the sushi myself! It was supposed to be a peace offering served on my rock-hard abs! All this unagi! Ruined!" ROTFLMAO. Didn't look like unagi, though. It looked like salmon and tuna. And cucumber rolls stuck on his nipples. Hee!

And now they're saying he wasn't sociable in college. I'm not buying from what they showed in the pilot, but ok.

He didn't say he didn't socialize, he only said he didn't have "real friends". I'm guessing he meant he had drinking buddies and hung out with a lot of different people, but they were more acquaintances than real friends.

One thing I liked about Reaper was when the gang would just hang out at the bar and drink beers and shoot the shit. Maybe there's not time for that on a half hour show, and it's basically a workplace sitcom, so I guess that is probably out.

They should totally find time to do this. Kitchen Confidential (RIP, damn you FOX) was also only a half hour long and it still had quite a few scenes with the kitchen staff hanging out at a bar outside of work.

(Though going for geek references meant forgoing an Arrested Development reference there, but oh well.)

I know! They could have gone for a blue men's group reference! But hey, did anyone notice he was drinking something blue? That cracks me up.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

I love this show, so hoping that it is getting good enough ratings to stick around.

Didn't know that Dutch would become such a big part of the show, but glad he is. MR is hilarious! Lovin' Christian Slater's craziness and he fits that character perfectly.

The Star Wars video...genius.

MsOrange21

MsOrange21

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

Of course.... I love the show and ..... Say goodbye to Breaking In, ya'll. :-(

http://www.deadline....s-human-target/