The Gilmore Girls 2011 Rewatch Thread: "It's repetitive...and redundant"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1805 replies to this topic

Oly

Oly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:14 PM

I watched the pilot with a bit more focus on the Emily/Lorelai relationship than I normally do and tried to look with fresh eyes... Emily came off even meaner than usual, mostly because what Lorelai says in the kitchen about "attacking everything I say..." comes off as very true given how Emily treated her when she asked for money.
I often think of Lorelai as being the joke maker and sarcastic one but Emily's answer to her every word is passive-aggressive biting acid sarcasm. There's the holiday reference reference "is it Easter already?" "Well if you're sure than you must have." Emily's only moment of real happiness at her daughter stopping by is hearing that Rory got into Chilton.
Now I and you all know that Emily is holding on to a lot of hurt and anger from the past... and since her daughter hardly deigns to see her on holidays after she, Emily, provided her with a very proper and upper class life you can see where the attitude is coming from... That said I do think that Lorelai is actually trying to be very polite though her politeness is a cover for having zero relationship with her Mom.
I think Emily asking for a weekly dinner and phone call is perfectly reasonable... if you give money to someone because they are family, asking them to acknowledge you as family as well is really not to much to ask.
Lorelai is more civil in the face to face interactions but she also says she'd rather re-enact a Stephen King novel than talk to her parents, which makes them sound like really bad people.
The fight in the kitchen between them is very well done... I like that the cards get put out on the table... I don't think either is really hearing the other one yet though. Lorelai can hear Emily complain about her taking Rory away but she doesn't see how much that hurt her mother she only sees it as judgement on her and Emily's controlling nature... Emily can hear Lorelai talk about her need for independence but still doesn't see how doing the "right thing" by getting married is her being controlling, it is just the "right thing," also Emily doesn't yet understand how much pride and self-definition Lorelai has in having worked her way up to running the Inn and that Lorelai's dream is to someday run her own Inn... to her it's still my daughter works at a hotel... so I don't think she has any idea how hurtful it is to insult Lorelai's job she doesn't realize that is akin to insulting Lorelai's personality. Very well written stuff here.

Oly

Oly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

double post

Edited by Oly, Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:28 PM.

Oly

Oly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

hmm well this didn't work...
maybe next week we can discuss week 2's episodes that were picked out if any wants to do so.

I've been reading the Avclubs reviews as they are currently re-watching the entire series, one insight found in the comments was that Rory's character was defined by her accidental conception, she always tried to be the perfect child to prove that she wasn't a "mistake." I've thought and over thought these characters and they're motivations because they are well realized and sympathetic (the basic awesomeness of this show.) I've considered how Lorelai's immaturity/independance helped shape Rory, how Christopher's absence affected her, how growing up adored in small Stars Hollow spoiled her... but for some reason I never considered that her need to be the embodiment of a "Good" kid might have been a refutation of being thought of as a mistake.

Other than the despicable Strobe and Francine we never really saw Rory confronted with the idea that she shouldn't exist. And Emily put the kibosh on their nastiness right away. Mostly we were confronted with the idea that Lorelai had messed up. But Lorelai does give a lot of credit to Rory's personality being what made it work for them and I wonder if subconsciously Rory felt the need to be an extra good child for her mother because if she wasn't she would be abandoned by her in the same way as Christopher. That she needed her mother's approval to know she wasn't a mistake. Something that she has to let go of in order to become her own person and results in some of the growing pains we observe in later seasons. Any thoughts?

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Whoa. That is deep! Certainly I've never thought of Rory's need to be 'the good kid' stemming from her fear that she was a mistake. It makes total sense, though. We know Lorelai well enough to know she never thought that, nor would she have ever let such an idea transfer from herself to Rory even if she did, but Rory was bright enough and perceptive enough to pick up on that undercurrent from everyone else. And Lorelai was always totally open about her life and what she felt she'd done wrong in the past. I can completely buy this idea, and see how it did shape Rory.

Also, that scene where Emily lets Rory know that she is not a mistake or a disappointment in any way ("Rory, I know you heard a lot of talk about various disappointments this evening and I know you’ve heard a lot of talk about it in the past. But I want to make this very clear - you, young lady, your person and your existance have never ever been - not even for a second -included in that list. Do you understand me?") is undoubtedly my favorite Emily moment in the entire series.

Ina

Ina

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

Oh I'm so very sorry, I was so excited about rewatching and then forgot about it. I'll be there for the next round, I promise.

I wonder if subconsciously Rory felt the need to be an extra good child for her mother because if she wasn't she would be abandoned by her in the same way as Christopher. That she needed her mother's approval to know she wasn't a mistake.

I think that's a brilliant thought -- I'm actually astonished that this theory has never been discussed here. We do know that Rory sets high (sometimes impossibly high) standards for herself, and it seems very plausible to me that she does it to validate her existence. I don't think Lorelai gave her the impression that she has to be a straight A student in order to be loved.

Also, that scene where Emily lets Rory know that she is not a mistake or a disappointment in any way is undoubtedly my favorite Emily moment in the entire series.

It is definitely among my favorites, too. Way to go, Emily!

Oly

Oly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Ina and deepfriedcake I'm glad that even years later we can find another way to see these characters and that I wasn't alone in my "I've never considered that before" moment.

I agree Emily is wonderful when she comforts Rory