The Gilmore Girls 2011 Rewatch Thread: "It's repetitive...and redundant"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1805 replies to this topic

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:33 AM

I don't feel that was at all the reason she decided to sleep with him that night.

Since she didn't invite him to stay until after he complained about being upstaged I think it was definitely a factor. She didn't feel comfortable with it after the movie and the only thing different was that he took her to pick up her mom in jail and was patient.

It's possible that we were supposed to view it that way, but I thought Lorelai came across as genuinely upbeat and...her-ish.

Well I may be obtuse but don't really care how I was supposed to view it. It's just how I felt when I watched the scene, also most of Bulldogs, the spermaceti/ferry speech in AVV and a few other times that don't immediately come to mind. There really isn't any reason why Lorelai shouldn't have been happy and at ease with Chris; they've known each other for a long time and have always gotten along well. I know this wouldn't work for the show, but it's just way too soon for Lorelai to be sure enough of her feelings to be serious about anyone. It's normal to have quite a bit of uncertainty after a break up, for years even. I think maybe she's trying too hard to convince herself she's completely ready for a new relationship.

ETA

I think it's understandable that she didn't want to see him. Most of us don't want to see our ex's after a break-up and it's hard for them since they live in such a tiny town.

I get that, but you do what you have to do. I didn't want to sit with my ex at school programs for our daughter but I did it anyway. Lorelai has a business and Luke has a business and there are going to be times when they both need to be at town meetings.

Edited by shron17, Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:57 AM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:33 AM

Instead, though, it often comes across as childishly disliking Christopher for being not Not Luke, and it feels almost fan-service-y, like "see? Your beloved townies know that Christopher sucks while Luke is awesome, just like many of you fans do--they're on your side! Just hang in there long enough to wait for Lorelai to realize it, 'kay?!"

Exactly. It's makes them all seem provincial and small minded and that's not how they had been portrayed before. You can only marry someone from the town? Seriously? This is the same town that gave Lorelai and Max a huge engagement party in the town centre. If they love her as much as they claim, they'd want her to be happy. The townies attitudes don't ring true to what we have been told about Stars Hollow. They welcomed a runaway rich girl with a baby 20 years prior but not Christopher because he's an outsider? It's ridiculous.
I feel like Sookie was made to be the on-screen voice of the L/L shippers in S7. That's fine, to an extent. When it comes at the expense of her friendship with Lorelai, I have to question it.

Mstaken, I'd love to hear your thoughts on 'Bulldogs'. I honestly can't remember anything offensive about it - Yale, whiffenpoofs, Rory in Charge, L & C being cute. We are usually in agreement so it will be interesting to hear why you don't like that episode. I've never watched this show with other fans, it's nice reading others opinions and perspectives.

Thanks dustylil, Sidi and je1267. Glad to know I'm not alone. It just stands out to me because most teen girls would not want to share a room with anyone, especially a parent. I guess we can chalk this up to the producers not knowing anything about kids/teenagers.

Any 4-year-old I've ever known would have a really hard time being completely uprooted like that for several months, even with a parent.

I completely agree with you. I was sent to live with relatives in another country when I was six and it was a major change. Granted, Gigi has the nanny and I believe that she's been doing the bulk of child-care but I am glad that Lorelai spoke up. Speaking for a half-hour on the phone doesn't erase the fact that Sherry walked out on her child.

If Lorelai had really moved on (and was ready to date) she wouldn't have to avoid going to the town meetings in case Luke is there.

I think it's understandable that she didn't want to see him. Most of us don't want to see our ex's after a break-up and it's hard for them since they live in such a tiny town.

slightlycooked

slightlycooked

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 4:00 AM

Instead, though, it often comes across as childishly disliking Christopher for being not Not Luke, and it feels almost fan-service-y, like "see? Your beloved townies know that Christopher sucks while Luke is awesome, just like many of you fans do--they're on your side! Just hang in there long enough to wait for Lorelai to realize it, 'kay?!"

Is it possible that while there may be some of that 'he's not Luke' feeling, its also because its Christopher and the townies, who love, love, love Lorelai and Rory, don't take well to Chris because they never really saw him when Rory was growing up? So all they knew was he was, at best, an absentee father and may be more inclined to dislike him, for not coming back till Rory was grown (and gone). Sort of like the fans in that way.

jennykins

jennykins

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 5:48 AM

Lorelai is trying way too hard to be entertaining in both the Snakes on a Plane talk and on the surprise date.

Well I may be obtuse but don't really care how I was supposed to view it. It's just how I felt when I watched the scene, also most of Bulldogs, the spermaceti/ferry speech in AVV and a few other times that don't immediately come to mind. There really isn't any reason why Lorelai shouldn't have been happy and at ease with Chris; they've known each other for a long time and have always gotten along well. I know this wouldn't work for the show, but it's just way too soon for Lorelai to be sure enough of her feelings to be serious about anyone. It's normal to have quite a bit of uncertainty after a break up, for years even. I think maybe she's trying too hard to convince herself she's completely ready for a new relationship.

I'm so glad you mentioned this, shron, because I was going to and then forgot! It was upsetting seeing Lorelai's sad face for several episodes in S6 and of course it's nice to see her smiling... But to be honest, I don't like it when she overdoes the quippy stuff either. Most of the time she's a little goofy but lovable. However, I think Lorelai acts slightly insane in S'W, S'M, and it's NOT in the cute and endearing way I usually love (but I've said before, I generally think she is *too* immature and annoying around Chris, so in a way those scenes kind of make sense here). It's weird, though, because it's almost like she's trying way too hard or something. I have absolutely NO idea how we were "supposed" to interpret it, or if it should be attributed to the writing, acting, or my hatred of the L/C pairing, but I'm not a fan.

I just can't get myself to watch Go, Bulldogs. This is such a good show overall, but man, there were a few horrible episodes, and that is one of them! The scenes either make me fall asleep or piss me off beyond belief.

ETA: I'm just going to go ahead and I admit that I kind of love the town's odd/slightly negative reaction toward Christopher. I realize that this is irrational and I probably only feel that way because the character brings up so many negative feelings for me, but it's kind of funny to watch. Maybe that makes me weird, but whatever. ;)

Edited by jennykins, Dec 28, 2011 @ 5:59 AM.

Sebastian90012

Sebastian90012

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 6:27 AM

I know I'm taking it too seriously, but this episode always makes me angry that anyone would think it's a good idea to send a 4-year-old to a foreign country to visit the mother who left her over 2 years ago.

Agreed! There's ample evidence that the people writing this series have no knowledge of how children work, but this one is particularly blatant.

I don't feel that was at all the reason she decided to sleep with him that night. I think it was a mixture of attraction, feeling close to him after a wonderful date, and the post-Luke confusion/need-to-be-cared-for.

Completely agree, MsTaken. I'm sure they would've slept together very, very soon afterward anyway, but it seemed like that attraction was genuinely there. It just happened to be mixed with that "run to comfort" urge that Lor sometimes gets. In the past, that comfort was quirky outings with Lorelai, or coffee at Luke's. Now, she has the man she always fancied but who could never be a great dad, and now - by virtue of Rory's absence - they've removed the need for the latter, so she can just have the former.

I think this is fair. While I totally agree that Lor wasn't ready to date, after what must be the most important mature relationship of her life, I think this doesn't necessarily equate with her desire not to see Luke. She's never really been one to handle awkward situations (and this would be particularly awkward as everyone in the room would know what was going on!), and it seems fair that she'd stay away.

I'm just going to go ahead and I admit that I kind of love the town's odd/slightly negative reaction toward Christopher.

I have to side with the majority on this one, I'm afraid! The only bit that rings true is the awkwardness after Chris pays for everything in Knit, People, Knit. If that had happened first, it might've shown the town that he's at odds with them. Instead, it feels like they're just being petty.

Alright, I'm gonna bite the bullet...

Go, Bulldogs!

Love the teaser. It's such a silly, season one thing of Lorelai to keep her mother on the phone like that, but it got me.

The Sookie subplot feels like it never really gets off the ground. It reminded me (inevitably, I think) of that season 2(?) story where she ponders another man other than Jackson, only this one wasn't fleshed out. I enjoyed Michel's pettiness over who is in charge, though.

I have to say, I really like most of the parents' weekend stuff. Lor and Chris are so cute together, and I enjoy their ridiculous provost banter. It's nice to get the little moment where they realise Emily and Richard have been coming for years. ("A grand piano is a type of piano." "Well, you got me there, Riddler.") I was the type of kid who also mocked parents' weekend, so it made sense to me that the girls would ignore it.

Everything with Christopher realising that he missed out on so much in Rory's life is a little on the nose. Very S7. I don't mind it, because those kinds of conversations do happen - particularly, I'd assume, among parents of "high achievers" - but the plot didn't really interest me, particularly when it veers off into the lunch with the YDN staffers. I think Rory overreacts, really. For a girl who has so few friends, she sure wants to be haughty with those around her. I was the elected head of the theatre company at my university (which prided itself on professionalism, like the YDN), and I had no qualms about hanging out with even the newest of students. In fact, I encouraged it! Yes, there's a chain of command at times, but I can't imagine Rory Gilmore would run the kind of newspaper where the hierarchy trumps friendship outside of work. Isn't that Paris' thing? Without any real logic to Rory's actions, the entire lunch is just reduced to the one "comedy of errors" that is Christopher assuming they're Rory's friends. Not much to work with. Also, given they had a whole "Parents' Weekend" special to put out, it was Rory's fault that she let her staff get drunk anyway!

Still, it was nice to see Christopher so interested in the lecture, and the simple way the tension between father and daughter is resolved is quite nice.

Also loved? The brief moment where Luke orders Kirk to go back to Lulu. I'm in a bit of a Luke situation right now, and I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to recite his speech to people considering the end of their relationships!

Yikes, it seemed like I really liked most of this episode after all. Maybe I'm not thinking it through?

The only jaw-droppingly bad subplot was that of Luke and the swimming teacher. April is as lovely as ever, but the whole plot just rings false. Maybe it's because I'm a swimming, old-movie loving vegan, but I feel as if Coach Bennett gets kind of shafted by the writers. Fair enough, she's not necessarily Luke's type, but a) the jokes at her expense, well-meaning as they are, feel like simple stereotypes rather than anything more, and b) Luke's not a complete social idiot. He should be able to at least keep up a decent conversation. To the best of my knowledge, this is all of the dating that Luke does in S7, and it would have been nice to see him explore his options. Or, really, do anything.

Plus, this episode continues the poor continuity regarding Luke. Sometimes, he's never seen a movie; other times, he'll surprise you with his knowledge (and, after two years of dating Lorelai, he should be able to name at least one classic movie actor!). And for someone who is apparently a bit of a health freak (who sometimes can run an entire hotel restaurant, and other times has never eaten lobster), you'd think he'd be less snobby about occasionally eating something vegan. Ho-hum.

But, worse than any of that by far, the Luke plot is a rare sin for GG: it's just painfully boring.

Edited by Sebastian90012, Dec 28, 2011 @ 6:34 AM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Exactly. It's makes them all seem provincial and small minded and that's not how they had been portrayed before. You can only marry someone from the town? Seriously? This is the same town that gave Lorelai and Max a huge engagement party in the town centre. If they love her as much as they claim, they'd want her to be happy. The townies attitudes don't ring true to what we have been told about Stars Hollow. They welcomed a runaway rich girl with a baby 20 years prior but not Christopher because he's an outsider? It's ridiculous.
I feel like Sookie was made to be the on-screen voice of the L/L shippers in S7. That's fine, to an extent. When it comes at the expense of her friendship with Lorelai, I have to question it.

Agreed! And there are valid reasons why a best friend would be concerned about Lorelai entering a rebound relationship with the man who fathered her child all those years ago and who has hurt her in the past. I fully get that, and I'd have issued my own best friend those same warnings. But, yeah, it felt more like the suddenly out of character town was a clumsy stand in for L/L 'shippers, and it didn't quite work for me.

But, worse than any of that by far, the Luke plot is a rare sin for GG: it's just painfully boring.

Heh---yeah, that actually describes nearly all of Go, Bulldogs for me. It's not quite as outright blood-pressure-raising as A Vineyard Valentine, but quite possibly the dullest, most generally "off" episode of the series IMO. Generally, I disagree when people say S7 totally lacked the show's former sparkle and vibrancy---in fact, I find the end of S5 and nearly all of S6 flatter and more dreary than I do S7, which IMO isn't even a fraction as wonderful as S2-S4, but does have a lot of heart. But episodes like GB feel awkward and boring and---did I mention off?! It's definitely my least favorite episode of the season, though the Planetarium one comes close ;)

And for someone who is apparently a bit of a health freak (who sometimes can run an entire hotel restaurant, and other times has never eaten lobster), you'd think he'd be less snobby about occasionally eating something vegan. Ho-hum.

Interesting, and ITA. I guess they thought it was more important to remind us---again---that Luke has a very narrow comfort zone and is deeply reluctant to ever venture outside of it, than to remember that he's supposed to be such a healthy eater and, as the owner and lead cook of a successful diner that seems to have about 670 items on its menus, would certainly have the food knowledge to have at least heard of cuisine that doesn't have meat or dairy. This isn't a very big deal to me, but yet another little thing contributing to the general impression that this episode was...did I mention "off"? Very, very off!

To the best of my knowledge, this is all of the dating that Luke does in S7, and it would have been nice to see him explore his options. Or, really, do anything.

This is one thing I actually like and appreciate about S7 Luke. While I sometimes find it easier to relate to Lorelai, as I'm very emotional, and perhaps just the TINIEST bit impulsive, I'm a little more like Luke in that I've got semi-loner tendencies and tend to go long (we're talking embarrassingly long!) periods of time without dating after I've had my heart broken. I felt it was in character for him not to date for a while after his engagement ended. Plus, this show has had more than enough pointless, 'cannon fodder' relationships---I was relieved not to see Luke casually date or get involved with women we knew would be history within a few episodes :)

I think Rory overreacts, really. For a girl who has so few friends, she sure wants to be haughty with those around her.

Ha! We've discussed here and on other threads that, while I can happily suspend my disbelief for many GG-related storylines, I can never, EVER fully buy Rory as an editorin-chief---or, really, even as a reporter. I see her as a researcher, editor, or maybe eventually as a teacher. I just can't believe her as the assertive/aggressive/Very Tough and in Charge journalist. AT ALL. Why can't I? It's the way they've written the character since the beginning, and particularly post-S3. It's AB's screen presence. It's just everything. In my head, most of the last two seasons of the show were devoted to Rory figuring out that journalism---which she'd always assumed was her ultimate goal---was NOT the field for which she was truly best suited and most passionate.

Anyway, all this is to explain why I can never, ever buy scenes of her allegedly being all kick ass over at Yale Daily News, and the GoBulldogs ones were particularly cringe-worthy.

I have to say, I really like most of the parents' weekend stuff. Lor and Chris are so cute together, and I enjoy their ridiculous provost banter. It's nice to get the little moment where they realise Emily and Richard have been coming for years. ("A grand piano is a type of piano." "Well, you got me there, Riddler.") I was the type of kid who also mocked parents' weekend, so it made sense to me that the girls would ignore it.

Everything with Christopher realising that he missed out on so much in Rory's life is a little on the nose. Very S7.

Heh---yeah, S7 is not exactly the most subtle of seasons, is it?! I love that someone mentioned the parallels between S1 and S7, because another one is that, for me, they're the two most heavy-handed, somewhat clunky, spell-it-all-out seasons--by far!

I agree with you that Lorelai and Christopher again had a nice dynamic in this episode, and that it was nice to see Christopher at least TRYING to make things up to Rory, but Christopher irked me in this one. At least his flaws in this episode were very in-character, though: the immature, 'let's party!' approach, and the fact that his even his sincere best intentions inevitably go a bit awry ;)

Edited by MsTaken, Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:25 AM.

Sebastian90012

Sebastian90012

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

I felt it was in character for him not to date for a while after his engagement ended. Plus, this show has had more than enough pointless, 'cannon fodder' relationships---I was relieved not to see Luke casually date or get involved with women we knew would be history within a few episodes :)

Point well argued! I guess I wish that if he had to date, it could've at least revealed something more about Luke's character than just "he doesn't know who Marlene Dietrich is". But you are definitely right.

I can never, EVER fully buy Rory as an editor---or, really, even as a reporter. I see her as a researcher, editor, or maybe eventually as a teacher. I just can't believe her as the assertive/aggressive/Very Tough and in Charge journalist. AT ALL.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes! I very much see her as working in publishing or research, definitely. Her approach to staffers at Mitcham's paper, and again when Paris was editor, was much more all-encompassing and den-mother-ish (or den sister, perhaps). That was when you could see the logical progression of Rory's character, and it made sense to me that she would end up in a vibrant words-related job, but never for one second as the go-getting foreign correspondent. That's why I've always enjoyed the end of S5: it makes total sense to me that this girl, raised by an entire town who tell her she can do anything, yet who participates in almost no extra-curricular activities, has to have that moment of realisation that she's been going in the wrong direction. That matched, as you say, AB's performance and the writing. This show may be something of a fantasy, but I agree: there are limits!

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

I can never, EVER fully buy Rory as an editor---or, really, even as a reporter. I see her as a researcher, editor, or maybe eventually as a teacher. I just can't believe her as the assertive/aggressive/Very Tough and in Charge journalist. AT ALL.

I just feel compelled to clarify that I meant I can never buy her as the editor-in-chief of a newspaper, but CAN very readily envision her an an editor/fact-checker/researcher at, say, a publishing house. As written, I'm all "I can't believe her as an editor...but could believe her as an editor!" Which, really, shows I need an editor of my own! As Sebastian said, there are professions for more naturally introverted word-lovers, and that's where Rory IMO would have fit in and excelled.

That's why I've always enjoyed the end of S5: it makes total sense to me that this girl, raised by an entire town who tell her she can do anything, yet who participates in almost no extra-curricular activities, has to have that moment of realisation that she's been going in the wrong direction. That matched, as you say, AB's performance and the writing. This show may be something of a fantasy, but I agree: there are limits!

Exactly. And realizing that the thing you've settled on for years as your dream and goal may NOT be your destiny after all is a really interesting, relatable and sometimes difficult experience. IMO, that would have been a far better S6-S7 arc than what we got, which was essentially just Rory showing us that she can be the perfect DAR Darling *in addition* to be a brilliant student and proving eeeeevil Mitchum wrong by becoming the best darn editor-in-chief Yale Daily news had ever been blessed enough to have. Neither as relatable NOR remotely as interesting IMO.

Edited by MsTaken, Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:44 AM.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Is it possible that while there may be some of that 'he's not Luke' feeling, its also because its Christopher and the townies, who love, love, love Lorelai and Rory, don't take well to Chris because they never really saw him when Rory was growing up?

I'd say this is entirely possible and the way I see it as well. Also, she dates Luke for a year, proposes to him but then they break up and she marries Christopher barely six months later. I couldn't blame Babette and Patty and the town for being cautious, maybe even thinking he won't be around long. Obviously Lorelai thought of this as well when she doesn't want to invite townspeople to her party and hesitates to walk around Stars Hollow with Christopher. It isn't just that he's not-Luke; it's also very sudden. The clumsiness some are complaining about seems like par for the course in S7, especially the first half.

I think Lorelai acts slightly insane in S'W, S'M, and it's NOT in the cute and endearing way I usually love

Couldn't agree more--she definitely seems manic. Part of it is definitely the writing which isn't nearly as smooth and rhythmical as we're used to. And I do enjoy Lorelai's humor much more when she plays off of someone who's a little more serious and mature, like Rory or Luke.

Go Bulldogs
Speaking of immaturity, I find the whole "you're not Rory's parents" schtick really annoying. If Rory lets her grandparents come on parents' day and support her why would Lorelai care? Because it's all about Lorelai. And they have to take her to the same restaurant? C'mon. Though I love Rory told her grandparents Lorelai and Chris could go to dinner.

I didn't think Rory was snobby about seeing the people on the paper, just that they weren't her friends and Chris didn't think to check before he invited them. And while I get the viewpoint that Rory's not meant to be a journalist it just makes me happy to see her doing what she wants to do, and I'm glad Mitchum didn't influence her against doing what makes her happy.

And realizing that the thing you've settled on for years as your dream and goal may NOT be your destiny after all is a really interesting, relatable and sometimes difficult experience.

I wouldn't have minded this as a storyline as long as it was Rory's process. Though through things I've seen with college students at work it seems many don't figure these things out until they're actually working.

It doesn't seem weird for Luke not to date; he clearly doesn't like it and never did much throughout the series. Can't say I disagree with him either. Can't say I enjoy the date, but I thought it was more about how once you get to a certain age some of the people who want to date you are still single for a reason.

ETA that I love Sookie and Jackson's storyline in Bulldogs. Sookie's loyalty, protecting Jackson from tasting how good the other guy's vegetables are, and Jackson being upset at the people who make him take off his shoes then don't like how his feet smell. They seem very real to me.

It reminded me (inevitably, I think) of that season 2(?) story where she ponders another man other than Jackson,

You mean when Sookie ran into the guy she used to work with who asked her out (I Solemnly Swear, S3)? If so, she didn't really "ponder" dating him, and this seems pretty different.

Edited by shron17, Dec 28, 2011 @ 11:10 AM.

lulu1960

lulu1960

Stalker

• Interests:Even after all these years since GG left our screen, I still love all things Gilmore. I definitely was a Java Junkie, enjoying the Luke/Lorelai relationship. I continue to love to read Gilmore Girls fanfic. My other interests are camping in the summer, hanging with my friends, reading and travel. The highlight of my year is my annual trip visiting fellow GG fans.

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

Lorelai is trying way too hard to be entertaining in both the Snakes on a Plane talk and on the surprise date. I wish she decided to sleep with Chris for her own reasons rather than to make him feel better for having his date upstaged.

Never liked the scene either. It definitely felt forced to me.

In Bulldogs, I can honestly say, I thought Lorelai was a brat. Talking during a lecture, getting ready to use the phone, being childish about the restaurant. The whole part at Yale just bugged me.

I did however enjoy all the Luke stuff. Him setting Kirk straight.

Listen, you pinhead, you should be kissing the ground that Lulu walks on. Why that sweet girl lets you within a hundred miles of her is beyond me, but she does. You are the luckiest man on the planet to have a girl like that looking out for you and caring about you. And if you say so much as one unkind word to her, I will personally break every bone in your body. You got me?

How can you not love that?

Seeing Kirk and Lulu walking and Luke being happy about it. That was very sweet.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 7:33 PM

French Twist

Before I first saw this episode, I was prepared to rank it as my very least favorite of the series. When I actually saw it, I was relieved to find that French Twist was better than I'd heard and expected, and hence AVV's reign as my Worst Episode Ever could continue ;) Now that I've seen it a total of 3-4 times, I can honestly claim to like this episode. It's not going to crack my Top 10---well, okay, even my Top 70---anytime soon. (But, to be fair, most of that Top 70 goes to S2-S4!) However, there are parts of FT that I really do enjoy.

I don't know why Chris and Lorelai getting married no longer bothers me at all. Maybe it's because the more I watch the series, the more I really do see chemistry and a connection between them. (As opposed to say, Lorelai-Max or Luke-Nicole, where I still can't manage to see any connection at all.) Or maybe it's because I now know the marriage doesn't last, so I just enjoy the L/C scenes for what they are. Or because I've just accepted that marriage just isn't taken all that seriously in the GG-verse (or on most TV shows in general)---even Luke, who's vastly less impulsive and reckless than Lorelai, randomly got married to a woman he didn't even seem to love while on a cruise ship!

Lorelai and Christopher seem so happy, relaxed and compatible to me in this episode---these are actually among the best, most sweetly authentic couple-y scenes we've ever gotten on the show IMO. (Again, I know some of this is attributable to DR being willing to show more affection and overt romantic connection than AS-P.)

Rory. Can't say I cared about her sendoff as editor-in-chief (See above rant re never, ever buying her as a journalist in the first place, much less the paper's most awesome, kick-ass woman in charge), but I did really like the scenes we got with Paris advising her how to cope with no longer being editor. I know, I know---me loving a Paris/Rory scene. Not exactly a shock ;)

The big surprise of French Twist is how much I enjoy the Lane/Zach scenes. How dare DR make me at least semi-like them---I'd gotten quite comfy and accustomed to disliking this pair through most of S5 to S6!

jennykins

jennykins

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

MsTaken pretty much covered my opinions on Go, Bulldogs. However, I must add that I absolutely cannot take the scene in which Christopher whines about his past as an uninvolved dad. I think it's a little worse for me in this episode because Lorelai babies him about it -- "awww no, honey... you DIDN'T miss it, Rory will need help now," which makes me gag a little. Of course, I wouldn't expect Lorelai to say "ha, you really suck" and keep rubbing it in his face, but the babying is too much. She could still acknowledge that it WAS indeed a serious mistake, but move on and support him in his efforts going forward.

French Twist
I still can't fully appreciate L/C here... But at this point, I'm okay with that. Lane/Zach are very cute, though!

I don't know why Chris and Lorelai getting married no longer bothers me at all. Maybe it's because the more I watch the series, the more I really do see chemistry and a connection between them. (As opposed to say, Lorelai-Max or Luke-Nicole, where I still can't manage to see any connection at all.) Or maybe it's because I now know the marriage doesn't last, so I just enjoy the L/C scenes for what they are. Or because I've just accepted that marriage just isn't taken all that seriously in the GG-verse

Ha! You're right -- marriage often seems like a joke on this show! However L/C's sudden marriage does bother me because a)she was hesitant and it feels like he "pushed" her into it, b)Rory should attend something this significant, and c)It still just feels way too soon for them after everything that's happened. I know they've been together a little while now, but she plunged into this relationship after her engagement to Luke, whom she referred to at the time as the first man she'd ever really deeply loved so I don't buy for one second that her feelings for him just disappeared so fast that she'd be completely okay with entering this marriage (the writers were odd if they wanted us to buy that particular scenario, IMO).

To me those are all signs that it wasn't necessarily "right," and I know that deep down Lorelai was likely still a little messed up from the end of her engagement, but I think I just wanted her to learn from it, and although I absolutely adore her, it was disappointing for me to see her jump and make a decision like that. It doesn't help that it was with him, but it'd still feel wrong even if it had been another guy, IMO.

Edited by jennykins, Dec 28, 2011 @ 9:56 PM.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Is it possible that while there may be some of that 'he's not Luke' feeling, its also because its Christopher and the townies, who love, love, love Lorelai and Rory, don't take well to Chris because they never really saw him when Rory was growing up?

I'd say this is entirely possible and the way I see it as well

Me, too. And while Rory and Lorelai may have genuinely regarded the potting shed as a warm and cozy home, the townies may have seen the situation quite differently - as a young woman with such limited means and resources spending several years raising her child in an outbuilding of an inn.

I would have been very surprised had they given Christopher a fond welcome given their affection for Lorelai and Rory.

Edited by dustylil, Dec 28, 2011 @ 10:37 PM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 1:20 AM

The townies have been friendly and welcoming to him before though. In S1 & 2 and even recently at Lane's wedding, they were comfortable with him. Something doesn't compute. I don't like the message it sends and agree with Lorelai when she complains about it to Sookie.

It isn't just that he's not-Luke; it's also very sudden.

That makes sense to me. Still, the town knows about the L/L fight/ultimatum. It's hard to believe they all side with Luke. It was too soon for her to get married but it's been six months. Most people date after a break-up. Maybe if they knew L/C were dating prior to the marriage, it would have been handled better.

I think Rory overreacts, really. For a girl who has so few friends, she sure wants to be haughty with those around her.

You're right about that. It stretches credulity that Rory is a senior in college and she has such a small social circle. I wish she would experience life/people/social situations more.

it was nice to see Christopher at least TRYING to make things up to Rory, but Christopher irked me in this one. At least his flaws in this episode were very in-character, though: the immature, 'let's party!' approach, and the fact that his even his sincere best intentions inevitably go a bit awry ;)

That's one of the things that endear him to me. He tries but it's never quite right. He's always too late or it's not good enough which makes him try too hard and that backfires as well. Heh. I have a soft spot for lovable screw-ups. You either have to accept that they'll never be that model father/husband/friend, etc or move on. I think Rory realises this and doesn't expect him to be the traditional dad guy. It's healthier in the long run.

I hope to catch up with 'Bulldogs' and be on track with the rest of you soon.

On to The Great Stink

There's a lot of cuteness in this one. The teaser, Paul Anka (!), Rory and Logan being "adorable" and Lorelai and Chris with the Gilmores. I love all the family moments so far in this season. The pickle controversy leaves me cold, though Michel is a hoot.

"Work dork"/ "work dork lover" makes me laugh every time. It's hard to believe that two seasons ago, I couldn't stand Logan. He grows on you. His rooftop dinner was all kinds of sweet.

Loved Rory and Lorelai's pickle conversation. Very cute.

Lorelai and Chris. Ruh-oh. Mom and Dad are fighting. Glad they worked it out. The thing about Gigi does bother me, she doesn't even remember her mother. Chris is the one constant in her life and he should be there to make the transition as painless as possible. It's odd that Sherry wants Gigi to spend Thanksgiving and Xmas with her. These are big family holidays and she'll be away from the only family she's ever known. I have to remind myself that this child is fictional or I'd start yelling at the tv.

FND. Emily was so excited to see Lorelai and Chris at dinner. It's strange that she called them derelicts. Her ping pong line cracked me up. I love Richard's reaction to the mug shot and his smile as Lorelai and Chris are talking about Paris.

Rory. It's funny that she feels threatened by a fun, flirty woman like her mother or maybe she's just having a bridesmaid flashback. I'm a little miffed at her dig of Brits speaking Brit-English whilst on American soil. No matter where you go, you take your nationality and culture with you. Poor Rory. Being called cute and adorable all in one night. I can't help but laugh at her. I like the way Logan handled the situation.

Sweet ending scene. I know it won't last but I adore the little family moments we have of the three of them. Chris and Rory doing the head bob together always makes me smile. I'm a sap for all that family stuff.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 2:48 AM

From French Twist on, for the life of me, I wish it had been explained why the showrunners chose to have Christopher and Lorelai marry in France when it was patently impossible for such an occurrence to have taken place. And that nobody in their circle - particulary the well-travelled senior Gilmores - queried it.

While I didn't care for the marriage, I could readily accept that the two would marry. So why if they were to wed, why not have a proper and legal ceremony? Even if it meant eloping to Maryland (sigh) or some such similar jurisdiction.

jennykins

jennykins

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 3:02 AM

The townies have been friendly and welcoming to him before though. In S1 & 2 and even recently at Lane's wedding, they were comfortable with him. Something doesn't compute. I don't like the message it sends and agree with Lorelai when she complains about it to Sookie.

It's not like they were outwardly mean or vicious to him in S7, though. They were still polite to him -- they just didn't throw a ridiculous party about it like they normally would (and frankly, I don't blame them). I think it makes sense because the situation is different in S7... They had watched the L/L romance and like you said, they knew about the break-up. They'd probably be a little cautious and protective of Lorelai, and maybe the fact that they knew Chris was previously unreliable was why they were slightly hesitant about the two of them being married at that point and under those circumstances. I said before that I'm able to simply laugh at it because I don't like Chris (which is still true) but even when I put more thought into it and try to look at it objectively, their behavior really isn't that crazy, IMO.

From French Twist on, for the life of me, I wish it had been explained why the showrunners chose to have Christopher and Lorelai marry in France when it was patently impossible for such an occurrence to have taken place.

For some reason, it just makes me laugh.

Edited by jennykins, Dec 29, 2011 @ 3:06 AM.

slightlycooked

slightlycooked

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 3:39 AM

It's not like they were outwardly mean or vicious to him in S7, though. They were still polite to him -- they just didn't throw a ridiculous party about it like they normally would (and frankly, I don't blame them). I think it makes sense because the situation is different in S7...

I agree with Jennykins. In all the other times, Christopher was transitory and not around for long - not enough to really get how the townies really did feel about him. But in season 7, he is back, full-time after Rory has gone off to college. I mean, written down, it doesn't look good - especially considering season 1 was the first time he'd been to Stars Hollow. In such a small town, I could see it be viewed a bit...negatively. (And I can't blame them really)

However L/C's sudden marriage does bother me because a)she was hesitant and it feels like he "pushed" her into it, b)Rory should attend something this significant, and c)It still just feels way too soon for them after everything that's happened.

This. For me it streches credibility that Lorelai would ever get married without Rory. Ever. But on the other hand, it solidifies my understanding that Christopher never factors her in at all - its all about Lorelai for him, and Rory is an afterthought. Which may explain Logan to an extent. Christopher isn't the worst father ever, but dumping Gigi at four in a foreign country with a mother she likely won't remember, and disregarding Rory when marrying her mother = definately not father of the year. At all.

Sebastian90012

Sebastian90012

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 4:35 AM

You mean when Sookie ran into the guy she used to work with who asked her out (I Solemnly Swear, S3)? If so, she didn't really "ponder" dating him, and this seems pretty different.

Fair enough! I didn't mean to suggest they were exactly the same, sorry if it came across that way! I guess just because the subplot felt so tiny (more like a little gag than a joke), I was trying to ponder the point of it. If that makes sense...

French Twist

Very little to say re: this episode. I'll just side with the majority: Lane/Zach = totally cute and funny. Paris/Rory = great stuff. And I agree that I can't for a minute envision Lor marrying without Rory nearby. Now, this is a good enough reason for Stars Hollow to turn against Chris; they were surely planning to go all out when Lor finally married! I guess the combination of hurt over Luke, (sudden) desire for marriage that overcame her in S6, and that feeling she gets with Christopher that sends her back to pre-Rory teenagedom, all combined to sweep her up in the moment. I'm a few episodes ahead in the rewatch, and I actually don't mind how the immediate aftermath of the wedding transpires, so... we'll see.

As for the revelation of Marty being "Boyfriend", I'm sure I'll have more to say once that plot gets going, but it's nice to see Wayne Wilcox's face again.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

As for the revelation of Marty being "Boyfriend",

Oh, god. Don't get me started. I mean, REALLY?! Calling someone by their label,"Boyfriend", would get old and ridiculous enough after doing it, say...once. But referring to said person EXCLUSIVELY as "Boyfriend" when speaking about him to friends, never once mentioning his actual name or even nickname? Like everything about Marty and Lucy-Marty (and, come to think of it, Lucy), it's utterly ridiculous, credulity-straining nonsense to me. And I'll patiently tolerate that sort of contrivance if it results in an entertaining or interesting storyline---or even a few entertaining or interesting scenes---but, alas, no such luck. And now we get a number of episodes in which Marty bizarrely pretends not to have ever met Rory, and Rory just as bizarrely goes along with it, until it blows up and is made to be a much, much bigger deal than any of it actually is. I've seen S7 a few times by now, and while I have a better understanding and even appreciation for the Lorelai/Christopher and Lorelai/Luke stuff than I used to, and can marvel at how much more comparatively likable I find Zach and some of the townies than I did in S5 and S6, this Marty stuff remains perplexing.

I can see Marty not exactly rushing to volunteer the information that he had a crush on Rory and maybe, maybe even understand his not mentioning that they used to be "good friends", but why deny that he and Rory had ever even met? And how is it possible that Rory, who's been supposedly good friends with Lucy now for at least a month or so, had never once seen Lucy with Marty, seen a picture of her with Marty, or, as ranted about above, even once heard his REAL, non-"Boyfriend" name?! Why, when the 'terrible truth' inevitably comes out, is it treated like this huge jaw-dropping scandal, when even a hyper-sensitive person like me doesn't think it's THAT big a deal, and Rory breaks down crying over it at least 2-3 times, which is a stronger reaction than she's had to certain breakups and serious losses?!
And why, oh why, are about four episodes wasted on this non-issue of an issue when this show is known for sloppily abandoning FAR richer storylines after just one?!

For the record, I always thought Marty was a bit of an ill-defined sad sack and never fully got why so many loved him, though I do certainly get wishing Rory had dated someone like him over Logan, and particularly the Logan we knew back in S5. But even I, as someone who was neutral on Marty, think this is among the most extreme character assassinations of the series. Marty and Dean should start a 'Ruined By Rory' support group!

See, I WARNED you not to get me started! ;) The good news is that now that I've got the rant out of my system, I can shut myself up about it as we continue. Well, mostly. But if anyone has any answers to the above questions, I'll be dying to hear them!

Edited by MsTaken, Dec 29, 2011 @ 8:39 AM.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

From French Twist on, for the life of me, I wish it had been explained why the showrunners chose to have Christopher and Lorelai marry in France when it was patently impossible for such an occurrence to have taken place. And that nobody in their circle - particulary the well-travelled senior Gilmores - queried it.

This has always bugged me. Did Christopher have a forged marriage certificate in his back pocket the whole trip or something? I know at least one person who has had a ceremony (to please the grandparents; it's a pregnant-and-catholic thing) and conveniently "lost" the marriage license, which will never be heard from again unless her baby daddy wins the lottery. I always think that, if she really wanted to, Lorelai could've easily gotten out of dodge on this one. But that's just with the limited knowledge the show gives us, I guess.

I only have two notes on Go Bulldogs:

1. How is any of this Chris's fault?!

2. That a capella version of "Livin' on a Prayer" is just awesome. And a capella wigs me out almost as much as it does the Gilmores.

French Twist:

Call me PC, but it bugs when people still say Siamese twins.

Disbelief is once again being suspended while watching this show. First of all, 4:00 a.m. isn't the middle of the night. It's morning, and I'm sure something will be open soon. Second, are we expected to believe Chris and Lore tried to sleep, walked around, had sex, took showers, got dressed and walked to the specially-opened restaurant in ONE HOUR? Seriously?!

The waiters just standing there is so weird. And the way Lorelai says "I love you" to Christopher is soooo indicative of how she is so not ready to get married.

I actually like Lucy and Olivia in this episode. Gasp! Love Lucy's, "Dude, you don't want to go to law school."

All this bitching, but believe me, I actually like this ep a lot.

MsTaken, I'm pretty sure I love Marty because he is totally the kind of guy I'd fall in crazy naked love with. It's a thing. *is sheepish*

Edited by Kosmonaut, Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:20 AM.

Sidi

Sidi

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

I can see Marty not exactly rushing to volunteer the information that he had a crush on Rory and maybe, maybe even understand his not mentioning that they used to be "good friends", but why deny that he and Rory had ever even met? And how is it possible that Rory, who's been supposedly good friends with Lucy now for at least a month or so, had never once seen Lucy with Marty, seen a picture of her with Marty, or, as ranted about above, even once heard his REAL, non-"Boyfriend" name?!

I never understood why Rory never asked 'Boyfriend's' name or that she had never seen a picture of him and Lucy at Lucy's place if he was such a big part of her life. Part of me really wished that the explanation of why Marty had kept the fact that he knew Rory a secret was that he had sort of told Lucy about a girl that he had a crush on in the first couple of years of college and how she hurt his feelings by going off with a rich guy or maybe the just whole chinese restaurant story. At least that to me would have made a bit more sense that he was embarrassed about what he had told Lucy or didn't want to colour her friendship with Rory over something that had happened a while ago. It isn't a great reason, but it was better than the one we got and the over reaction afterwards.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

Oh, god. Don't get me started. I mean, REALLY?! Calling someone by their label,"Boyfriend", would get old and ridiculous enough after doing it, say...once. But referring to said person EXCLUSIVELY as "Boyfriend" when speaking about him to friends, never once mentioning his actual name or even nickname?

I work with a girl who only referes to her boyfriend as "boyfriend" or the "boy" and it is the most annoying thing in the world. We are friends on Facebook and she does it there too (or sometimes "my babe"). I am convinced that he doesn't exist and she just isn't creative enough to make up a name for her imaginary boyfriend. I have no idea what his name is still and it has been like nine months. This is in support not contrary to your statement. Because it is annoying as hell and I would immediately think it was weird if an actual friend were doing it. I would absolutely ask his name or something about him if it was someone I was friendly with.

I liked Marty a lot back in the day. I am not a big Logan fan but there is no doubt in my mind that Logan was the right choice to put Rory with back then. Because I think the tension between the rich and poor worlds and the rift that causes with Lorelai needed to be explored (they didn't do it in the best way but whatever). If Rory were my little sister I would hope she would get with a Marty over a Logan but she isn't and Logan was a better choice for the show.

But this Marty plot was just so stupid. There was nothing redeeming about it except it is so bad it is a little hilarious.

I really get that Rory doesn't ever want to be the bad guy or hurt anyone. And, even if she didn't mean to, she did hurt Marty and when she realizes that she wants to make it up to him. But this was just so absurd. Lying about something that was absolutely nothing.

Edited by Betsyb, Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:51 AM.

Sebastian90012

Sebastian90012

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

See, I WARNED you not to get me started!

MsTaken, that was amazing, and so highly true! I was a Marty fan, at least in his early, pre-sad sack days, simply because I liked his humble presence in the dorm. In spite of his mopiness, I enjoyed elements of the story where Rory failed to realise his feelings, and was sad to see him go. But I completely agree with all you've said. I, too, have worked with people who have exclusively used phrases like "the boy" or "my man" to refer to their other half, but I can't imagine people being close (if new) friends, and the real name never once slipping out in an anecdote. Or a phone call. And you're seriously telling me that two arty hipsters like Olivia and Lucy don't have photos of everyone they know on display?

What really riles me, however (and I know we're getting ahead here) is that Marty never gets redemption. At least with Dean, depressing though his final appearance may be, I justify it by saying, a) he contributed as much to the problems as Rory did, and b) they presumably tried to get JP back for the final season at some point. Marty just disappears after the whole, stupid saga blows up. The whole "do I know you?" thing is ridiculously contrived, but he didn't deserve to be suddenly cast as the villain who got in the way of a lovely friendship. Puh-lease.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

But this Marty plot was just so stupid. There was nothing redeeming about it except it is so bad it is a little hilarious.

What really riles me, however (and I know we're getting ahead here) is that Marty never gets redemption.

It's as if the showrunners were bored and decided to mix things up a little by having a few of the secondary male characters behave badly - and for no particularly reason. Presently, it is Marty. Soon it will be a townie.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 11:49 PM

How can you not love that?

Lulu, agree 100%. Occasionally Luke seemed a little off and in general wasn't as funny as in earlier seasons but at least we got some good rants.

I didn't mean to suggest they were exactly the same, sorry if it came across that way!

No worries. That scene is kind of vague but I like the callback to Jackson's vegetables, where all good relationships between cooks and their vegetable growers begin.

French Twist
So it may just be because I don't care for the main storyline but much of the dialogue in the Paris scenes actually makes me cringe. And the sleeping on the bench line? Apparently they both forgot young Lorelai required a hotel room. Lorelai grew up with the Gilmores yet had no idea rich people really do sometimes offer bribes for better service? Hmmm. I agree with all the reasons jennykins and dustylil mentioned about why the marriage was a really bad idea, and with Kosmonaut about the timeline. What bugs me most is how Lorelai goes along with everything Christopher says. He declares his love and promises to wait until she sees it too even if they're 80. But then he doesn't want to wait and decides they're both ready to get married, never mind she was engaged 6 months ago. In fact, so far as we know neither of them even bring it up. Now all we have to do is wait until Chris changes his mind one last time. You'd think after all these years Lorelai would know better.

I like Rory's visit home with Lucy and Olivia, but Marty's storyline is bad. He deserved better.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 2:37 AM

While I didn't care for the marriage, I could readily accept that the two would marry. So why if they were to wed, why not have a proper and legal ceremony?

Maybe so it could be easily pushed aside without the need for lawyers and courts? The producers wanted this to be her wake-up call that she had unresolved feelings for Luke. Never mind that she jumped into a hasty union that wouldn't have lasted no matter who it was. Chris does reference a divorce later on but since they were never legally married in the States, I don't know what it would have involved. Whether they required a apostille or not is anyone's guess. I know quite a few people, myself included, who have been married on foreign soil. Usually you have a civil ceremony in your home country for legal matters and the religious/romantic/family ceremony in another country.

It's not like they were outwardly mean or vicious to him in S7, though. They were still polite to him -- they just didn't throw a ridiculous party about it like they normally would (and frankly, I don't blame them).

I agree that they weren't hostile or anything. Until Lorelai mentioned it, he had no idea how the townies felt. Granted, I love Chris and it irks me that the town Lorelai has lived in for 20 years wouldn't try a little harder, for her sake at least. She recognised immediately that they were just being polite and it bothered her.

Christopher isn't the worst father ever, but dumping Gigi at four in a foreign country with a mother she likely won't remember, and disregarding Rory when marrying her mother = definately not father of the year. At all.

He's not a perfect father it is true but I think it's unfair to say he dumped Gigi. She was excited to see her mom and apparently, Sherry has changed. Rory should have been there, no doubt. I just can't fault him for wanting Gigi to know her other parent.

Right. I watched 'Bulldogs'. Tried to view it with a critical eye but I still liked it.

Cute teaser. I like the Cafe Ole bit too.

I have mocked Parents' Weekend with my eldest daughter as well. It's a little weird that Emily and Richard have been coming to these yearly things and it was never mentioned by anyone. I would be a bit put out if my father or my daughter's other grandparents went to a Parents' Weekend. It seems disrespectful to me, although until recently Emily and Richard were paying for Yale so maybe that entitles them to a bit more. They sure do love to throw it back in Lorelai's face that they were paying. Talk about rude.

Lor and Chris. :)

I have to say, I really like most of the parents' weekend stuff. Lor and Chris are so cute together, and I enjoy their ridiculous provost banter.

This is why I like the episode so much. They're so cute and happy together, it makes me smile. I like seeing Lorelai be happy, it's enjoyable to watch.

However, I must add that I absolutely cannot take the scene in which Christopher whines about his past as an uninvolved dad. I think it's a little worse for me in this episode because Lorelai babies him about it -- "awww no, honey... you DIDN'T miss it, Rory will need help now," which makes me gag a little.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that she was babying him. She was telling him to not try so hard and that Rory still needs them as parents. He can't get back the years when she was a child but he can be there now. I've had that same conversation with my guy. You can dwell on what you missed or focus on the present and future.

Luke and the swim coach. I had forgotten about this subplot until it was mentioned. I understand character-wise why he doesn't date more but I would love to see him branch out. If he and Lorelai both dated other people and remained close friends, I'd be fine with it. It's more realistic and dare I say it, adult. The Kirk subplot was the only hint I've seen that he realises what he lost.

I can see how Rory in Charge is off putting to some people. It does go against her personality to be so assertive. I'm not bothered by it because her college years are there for her to change and grow. I don't see her as a take-charge reporter in the future, she's too introverted for such things. Rory seems tailor made for being a researcher or doing something in academia. If there had been a season 8, I wonder if they would have explored that possibility. I do love her deviousness at the end of the episode. ;)

Lane! Good to see her. I did think April was very impolite. Even Luke noticed it.

I adore Jackson, he's my favourite male character but I think it's rude not to remove your shoes when you enter someone's home. Of course, it's rude for anyone to ask you to remove your shoes when you are a guest. Sookie and Jackson are all kinds of cute but they're always cute. :) Michel and Sookie bickering over who is in charge is funny too. I often think Lorelai's role at the Dragonfly is to keep them from killing each other. It's too bad we didn't get a scene of them at the inn whilst she was in Paris.

Probably won't catch up with French Twist until the weekend.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 3:36 AM

I know quite a few people, myself included, who have been married on foreign soil. Usually you have a civil ceremony in your home country for legal matters and the religious/romantic/family ceremony in another country.

I too know a number of people who have wed on foreign soil. In many circumstances it make a great deal of sense. And can cut out a lot of wedding madness ;

If Christopher and Lorelai had chosen to be properly married abroad, then so be it.
But foreigners (and everybody else, for that matter) can't marry that quickly in France. It ain't Vegas ;) The couple have to have lived in the area for around 6 weeks.

An array of documents are required, birth certificates, divorce decrees, and such like. All translated into French. It is perhaps conceivable that Christopher had organized all this before their trip.

Most importantly though, France only recognizes civil marriage and a couple must get married by the civil authorities. Any religious rite take place after that and the civil marriage certificate has to be presented to the officiant of the faith community before the ceremony can take place.

None of the above bears the least resemblance to both what we know and what we were told transpired at Christopher and Lorelaiís wedding.
Frankly, for much of the remainder of the seventh season, I thought we were going to learn that the whole thing was a romantic scam on the part of desperate Christopher who figured Lorelai would see how happy they could be together if they were married . When and if she learned the truth, she would forgive the trickery.

Maybe so it could be easily pushed aside without the need for lawyers and courts?

I apologize for getting ahead of the thread, but the matter wasn't readily pushed aside and there was discussion of lawyers and legal processes.

Edited by dustylil, Dec 30, 2011 @ 3:40 AM.

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

While I didn't care for the marriage, I could readily accept that the two would marry. So why if they were to wed, why not have a proper and legal ceremony?

Maybe so it could be easily pushed aside without the need for lawyers and courts?

My theory is that it had more to do with being impulsive, that if getting married had required any kind of planning or discussion Lorelai wouldn't have gone through with it. She was almost there with Max but realized it wasn't right and went on a road trip with Rory. This time it was really played up that they were in the most romantic city in the world and in love, away from every day life and getting married seemed like a way to make it permanent. So the writers went with it and completely ignored the facts.

cantbeflapped

cantbeflapped

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

Okay, I admit, I was tempted to skip French Twist. But I'm so glad I didn't because I noticed this for the first time...

CHRISTOPHER: The bellhop was a gem compared to the concierge. I mean isn't it his job to be polite?

LORELAI: You would think the concierge would be polite.

Ha! They totally met Michel's doppleganger in Paris. And he reminds them to wear shoes to dinner. Hee.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2011 @ 1:49 AM

I apologize for getting ahead of the thread, but the matter wasn't readily pushed aside and there was discussion of lawyers and legal processes.

I honestly don't remember any mention of them consulting lawyers or going to court. Maybe I've suppressed it. The only thing I recall is the 'divorced parents' line at Rory's graduation party.

Thank you for telling me about civil unions in France. It's the same in Japan, only civil unions are legal and you must wait 45 days if one or both of you are foreign born (that's per their home country's rules though). The writers didn't do any research and it looks sloppy. It's disappointing to those of us who supported a L/C relationship. Then again, marriages haven't been taken seriously on this show so I shouldn't be surprised.