Curtis Stone: NBC/Bravo Thinks We Can't Get Enough of Him

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

38 replies to this topic

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Not to mention doing the voice-over on the Outback Steakhouse commercials.

Not Curtis there, though his ubiquity would lead one to think so...

The day he signed onto Celebrity Apprentice was the day he became a wholly-owned subsidiary of NBC Universal. now I'm paying him every time I pay my Comcast bill... At least the items from his product line I've bought mostly came at great discount at Williams-Sonoma...

All that being said, I think he's doing a good job at TC Masters host and I'll keep tuning in.

That article from Eater missed a couple of points, including the fact that he's almost as ubiquitous in Australia, with his deal with supermarket chain Coles and appearances on MasterChef there (which I quite enjoyed last year when I visited) as well as whatever NBC programs are aired there. (Most of them, from what I can tell - they had Celeb. Apprentice and Biggest Loser in the listings last year.) In Australia, though, there's the "tall poppy" syndrome, so once he's gotten too big for his britches, he'll be cut down to size.

Edited by InnerCanuck, May 16, 2011 @ 3:22 PM.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

I know he's the Host and does not actually have a say in judging the food so I wasn't really sure what his purpose was (other than to be everywhere, at once, including on kitchen cabinet ads). Then he pretty much said exactly what I was thinking to Suvir, when Suvir went on his vegetarianism-is-the-only-way tear again at the Critic's Table. In a direct, courteous manner, but making no bones about it, he told Suvir it wasn't the time, place, or point of his being there.

Anyone that can courteously tell someone on preaching, pulpit tear to stick a sock in it without being obnoxious and still get that person to stick a sock in it? Good host in my book. Also, even though I also like him, it's something Tom Colicchio couldn't do on a bet. He could tell someone to shut the heck up but he tends to sound preachy and defensive while doing it.

ITA with this, stillshimpy, even though it's from a few episodes ago. :) Even though Curtis is everywhere, all the time now, it seems, he is really the only "critic" I can stand on this show, unless Gail Simmons or someone similar is a guest judge. Curtis does seem to pay attention to the parameters of the challenges, and he is very courteous. Frankly, I grow a little weary of when judges like James and the food bloggers or the judges on TC the Original just act like every cooking faux pas is a personal affront to them. At least Curtis seems to be paying attention, enjoying the food (or not), and is able to convey his critiques in a firm but positive manner, such as his treatment of Suvir and then his questioning of Hugh's comments regarding cooking down to the masses. I shudder to think how indignant Padma and Tom would have become witnessing such, and the tongue lashing that would follow at Judge's Table.

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 1:37 AM

I was watching a season 2 episode and it made me appreciate Curtis even more. Anyone who isn't Kelly Choi would be an improvement anyway. God she was terrible. Awkward facial expressions, monotone delivery and dead eyes. She freaks. me. out.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

Not to mention doing the voice-over on the Outback Steakhouse commercials.

Not Curtis there, though his ubiquity would lead one to think so

I know. I was trying to be funny.

Wry Bread

Wry Bread

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

Alright, Curtis Stone has greatly exceeded my expectations--I haven't seen him in anything else (I purposely avoided Take Home Chef because I thought it would be incredibly cheesy), but I initially had a negative impression of him.

He's funny, charming, and not a robot! I don't miss Kelly Choi at all.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 11:59 AM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Curtis less and less. Yes, he brings the eye candy, but--combined with the ridiculous and insulting (to "Masters") challenges--I don't think he sets the right tone at all.

Someone in the "episode" thread mentioned that only Padma seemed to be enjoying herself this week and that summed up the problem perfectly for me. Curtis often seems so serious...grim even...and the little dust-up with Hugh didn't help.

I'm no big Padma fan normally, but she did "brighten up" the show this week, seeming to have fun, find it all interesting, be encouraging. I don't see Curtis doing any of those things and it drags the show down, imo (though not as much as the completely NON-Masters-worthy challenges do).

I think Kelly had more enthusiasm, too, and that's needed in a host, imo. Maybe Curtis would be better as a judge.

lofty ideas

lofty ideas

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

Maybe Curtis would be better as a judge.

Not if his performance as an "investor"/judge on America's Next Great Restaurant is any indication. He was horrible.

I never thought I would be excited to see Padma (can't stand her), but when she walked in the door I was relieved. Curtis is all kinds of lame.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Jun 5, 2011 @ 1:27 AM

I felt like Padma came across as a light-hearted princess, breezing in and out with no responsibilities. I feel Curtis has the sincerity Padma doesn't.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 7:01 PM

Curtis and Lindsay Sloane are having a baby.