Curtis Stone: NBC/Bravo Thinks We Can't Get Enough of Him

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

38 replies to this topic

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

Seems like a nice guy, pleasant-looking and was one of the least offensive Celebrity Apprentice contestants during that season, but at this point I'm wondering why he's up for a big part in a fifth different NBC/Bravo reality show. (Previously- CA, America's Next Great Restaurant, The Biggest Loser, and Losing it with Jillian)

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 5:59 AM

USA Today Interviews Curtis Stone

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

I watched the "Behind the Scenes" on the OWN network Friday and it was the trip to Australia. Guess who was the chef on the beach in the nature preserve? Curtis. It's like he's suddenly everywhere you look. Weird! However they didn't introduce him even, so it was probably just because I'd been seeing him everywhere (this was two days after TC finale) that I even noticed.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

On top of everything else, he has a cereal commercial too.

Texas Gal

Texas Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

I have no idea who he is, have somehow never seen him before last night and all I can say is yum. And nice accent.

esearcher

esearcher

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

He used to have a TLC show (I think it was TLC, maybe Discovery?) called Take Home Chef.

I am so sick of seeing him on TV. Once Next Great Restaurant and TC Masters ends, I hope he will not pop up anywhere else for a while.

Phelan

Phelan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

He bores me...someone get his arse off of my TV.

MillieLee

MillieLee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 6:15 AM

I didn't even know that he would be the host of this season of TC Masters, so I kind of jumped when I saw his face. Then I did my little OMGCurtisStonewouldyoupleasemarryme -squeal that I do every time I see him. It's kind of embarrassing, but it's a reflex... I've been actually cathing up on old shows (like the Apprentice) just to watch him, so I'm excited for this season of TC Masters.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

I honestly thought they were joking when they announced he'd be the host of this. Then bam, there he is.

I'm sure the core Bravo audience will be hot for his bod, and well willing to overlook the fact that he's really kind of a shabby Chef, with piss poor qualifications and some real bozo opinions (if you've seen him on that "America's Next Sucky Chain Restaurant" show, you'll know what I mean).

chgowatcher

chgowatcher

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

I think it's odd that he's everywhere as this big chef when he's never even owned a restaurant. I think every other 'celebrity chef' has their own restaurant, usually several. I guess it's because people think he's hot (I think he's kind of funny looking).

Here's an article that pretty much sums it up. Who the Hell is Curtis Stone?

Citizenesse

Citizenesse

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 9, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

Oh boy! I am so glad that I am not alone in my total lack of interest in Curtis Stone; although I was completely willing to be alone based upon all the gushing exultations being flung his way of late.

However, he has offered a contestant on "Next Great Restaurant" some very good advice about not changing his core menu to make it more like a sandwich which I appreciated in the sea of mediocrity that comprises the show.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of doubt since its fresh Top Chef Masters and fresh faces. We shall see...

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 5:38 AM

People: Curtis Stone Gains 10 LB. During Dream Job

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

I think it's odd that he's everywhere as this big chef when he's never even owned a restaurant. I think every other 'celebrity chef' has their own restaurant, usually several. I guess it's because people think he's hot (I think he's kind of funny looking).

One other example I can think of, if I've got the story right, was Jamie Oliver. I believe he was cooking at a well known London restaurant (not his own) when he got noticed and put on TV. I guess one could debate whether he's a celebrity chef or just a celebrity.

ironwolf

ironwolf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

If he were a guest judge on (regular) Top Chef, I wouldn't be so annoyed, but I do not think this guy has the pedigree yet to be a full-time judge on Masters. I can't wait for a contestant to call him out how they were running a line at a 5-star place when he was still wiping his nose on his overalls. Whenever he has criticism on America's Next Great Restaurant (I think I got the name right) he pouts and wrinkles his face and looks and acts like a petulant 8 year old being made to eat brussel sprouts. I kinda noticed the same on Masters already.

Edited by ironwolf, Apr 12, 2011 @ 1:55 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 2:19 PM

full-time judge on Masters.

He is not a judge, he is a host. He even stated "you have a difficult decision," making it clear that he didn't have a vote.

pattycake2

pattycake2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

I agree with the article. "Who the hell is Curtis Stone?" I'll add: Why is he showing up on everything I watch? Frankly, it's giving me the creeps.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

I'm not a fan, nor do I think he's "hot", and he does seem as ubiquitous as Starbucks, but I have to admit he's doing a competent job hosting, and is at least as good as Kelly Choi, and IMHO, a little better.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 7:14 PM

TV Guide: Curtis Stone - Bug Dishes Were Very Interesting

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

I agree with the article. "Who the hell is Curtis Stone?" I'll add: Why is he showing up on everything I watch? Frankly, it's giving me the creeps.

I'd like to know who his agent is, quite seriously. To go from host of a modest and forgettable cable cooking show to being plastered all over my TV on Bravo, NBC and commercials is quite an achievement. Someone is working very hard to get his name out there.

Edited by Rickster, Apr 15, 2011 @ 11:31 AM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

Worst Top Chef Masters Host Ever

Please bring Kelly back.

Being Australian doesn't make him interesting. It just makes me think of "Put another shrimp on the barbie" & "A dingo ate my baby".

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

This guy is as charismatic as cardboard, and he's not even that attractive, so I don't understand his appeal. And I lost more respect for him when he was grossed out/tentative at the bug QF. I would have been grossed out too, but I'm not a chef/the show's host. I know Padma made her share of faces, but they were always because of bad food and not because of the ingredient. Not that I recall, anyway. I bet Kelly would have shown less distaste too.

Please bring Kelly back.

Seconded, and along with her all the other stuff they jettisoned to create this already-trainwrecky season, including the old show format, the old judging format, and Jay Rayner and Gael Greene.

Edited by annakam, Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:18 PM.

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

I can't disrespect him, because he's got the background and bona fides even if he never owned a restaurant.

In fact, I give him more credit than that other ubiquitous irritant, Jamie Oliver, because he worked in numerous top restaurants and wasn't merely snatched from being a sous-chef because he was young, could pull Mockney out of his ass, and satisfied some TV executives idea of a "Cool Britannia" knob to pull in the youth ratings. (which Oliver did in spades.)

I don't understand why NBC/Bravo is so invested in him, though. Because, regardless of being in "People" and on numerous reality or instructional shows in the U.S., do most people even know or care who he is?

phanie

phanie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

Rickster said:

I'd like to know who his agent is, quite seriously.

Satan. Because I don't get it and I really wish they would stop trying to make him happen.

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 11:50 PM

I like him. He's hot and at least he acts and reacts like a real person unlike Kelly Choi who was as lively as a robot.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

I like Curtis Stone also. I've liked him since seeing him on Take Home Chef (I think that's what it was called). He had a lot of good humor in that show and in one instance, when the person he was "surprising" in the grocery stored failed to mention that she was in the middle of having her kitchen redone, so there was literally no stove or cooktop to be used in her home, he had to change his entire menu (seemingly on the fly) so that he could cook it on their outdoor grill. It kind of won me over because the woman in question was kind of a giant pain and Stone just rolled with it gracefully.

But here, I wasn't sure about him. I know he's the Host and does not actually have a say in judging the food so I wasn't really sure what his purpose was (other than to be everywhere, at once, including on kitchen cabinet ads). Then he pretty much said exactly what I was thinking to Suvir, when Suvir went on his vegetarianism-is-the-only-way tear again at the Critic's Table. In a direct, courteous manner, but making no bones about it, he told Suvir it wasn't the time, place, or point of his being there.

Anyone that can courteously tell someone on preaching, pulpit tear to stick a sock in it without being obnoxious and still get that person to stick a sock in it? Good host in my book. Also, even though I also like him, it's something Tom Colicchio couldn't do on a bet. He could tell someone to shut the heck up but he tends to sound preachy and defensive while doing it.

It was one of the few times I felt the show wasn't trying to create drama, but rather was trying to avoid it while still getting Suvir to dismount his preaching pony.

Edited by stillshimpy, May 1, 2011 @ 9:49 AM.

mmeginger

mmeginger

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

In fact, I give him more credit than that other ubiquitous irritant, Jamie Oliver, because he worked in numerous top restaurants and wasn't merely snatched from being a sous-chef because he was young, could pull Mockney out of his ass, and satisfied some TV executives idea of a "Cool Britannia" knob to pull in the youth ratings. (which Oliver did in spades.)

Wow, I love you. :)

I can't stand the way Curtis pronounces Naomi's name; NAMI. Ew. While he's a better host than I had expected, I don't think he has bona fides because it's been years since he's actually cooked in a real restaurant so any bona fides are shrinking up and dying. While I appreciated his handling of Suvir (whom I could not stand from day one) and was glad he said something to him, I think it's a matter of opinion on what Tom's handling of it would be and don't believe it would be any worse than what Curtis said/did.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 6:47 PM

I'd like to know who his agent is, quite seriously. To go from host of a modest and forgettable cable cooking show to being plastered all over my TV on Bravo, NBC and commercials is quite an achievement

Not to mention doing the voice-over on the Outback Steakhouse commercials.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 7:06 AM

This fifth episode made me really enjoy Curtis as host. His commentary was substantial and he does have the authority and sincerity that Kelly Choi never would when he speaks about the food now that he is more comfortable hosting.

Edited by anonymiss, May 5, 2011 @ 7:09 AM.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 6:12 AM

This fifth episode made me really enjoy Curtis as host. His commentary was substantial and he does have the authority and sincerity that Kelly Choi never would when he speaks about the food now that he is more comfortable hosting.

I have been a fan of Curtis ever since he did that Take Home Chef show. He is totally credible as a host, and even a judge. The big difference I see between Curtis and Kelly is, you know Curtis loves to eat, I never got that from Kelly.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

So Curtis suddenly appearing EVERYWHERE wasn't just my imagination? I'm glad it's not me, but really, what the hell?