3-1: "Restaurant Wars" 2011.04.06 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

98 replies to this topic

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

She clearly had two plates, each with a separate salad, one with licorice and one with peanuts. How is that combining ingredients?

The thing that made it okay for me was the critic's comment that the two salads complimented each other, so there was still some kind of relationship between the ingredients (albeit once or twice removed).

DeniseMarie

DeniseMarie

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

Naomi Pomeroy's restaurant "Beast" does indeed serve dinner communal-style with two seatings a night.

http://www.beastpdx.com/

rose711

rose711

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

I hate that the first dish we see from these contestants is made from two ingredients that are almost vomit-inducing when you mention them together. There is no charm or pleasure for the viewer in watching people try to mix marshmallows and hash (or any of the other duos) in a show about food. Seriously, eating some of these food duos sounds more like a Big Brother challenge than a show featuring food prepared by experts. The food should never be a gimmick - maybe the preparation of it can be gimmicky - but not the actual combination of ingredients they are forced to use.

I wanted to start this show with the chefs making delicious, creative dishes as they have in the past. I want to salivate over the food and wonder what these talented people made - not wonder how they managed to put together two ingredients I would never have interest in eating.

Whoever came up with that god-awful quickfire as the first test and first view the viewers have of the show should be fired. It sets the whole season up as nothing more than a bunch of gimmicks treating the contestants like little puppets.

Edited by rose711, Apr 11, 2011 @ 9:23 PM.

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

I really really hated that they let that guy slide on those lamb chops. On "real" TC, I am pretty sure the judges would have kicked you off even if you were on the winning team if you served raw lamb with the labels still attached to it. Tom would have said "Team Blue won, but those lamb chops for the worst thing ever, so your out of here anyway."

Two of the judges got pieces of labels in their food, so it makes you wonder how many diners ate them without noticing since they aren't analyzing everything for "texture"

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 6:39 AM

"Team Blue won, but those lamb chops for the worst thing ever, so your out of here anyway."

The winning team on TC regular, NEVER has anyone kicked off. Remember the big megillah from season 7. The sore loser Kenny whined, and if I remember it correctly, the future winner lost his cool to put it nicely, about how Alex didn't cook anything. He might of gotten a dressing down, but he would not have been PYKGed

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

Didn't see anyone comment about this, but why was the French woman (des Jardines?) allowed to win the Quickfire? The point of the quickfire was to take two strange ingredients and somehow blend them together to make a dish. She basically said "X and Y" don't go together. So I'm going to make an X salad and a Y salad. I don't recall exactly what she was supposed to use. Marshmellows and peanuts? But you get the idea. I was so pissed when she won.

Yes, thank you. I thought that was total bullshit. She did NOT blend the ingredients to make one dish. Thus, she didn't follow the directions. I was also pissed she won and found it ridiculous.

Also, can she make anything but salads? She did a salad for the restaurant, too.

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 8:22 AM

Is it too early to say that I don't like these chefs? Particularly Portland Communal Dining Chef? Yeah, that's a good idea to enforce on people who are working together for the first time.

And I do NOT like the format. As has already been pointed out in this thread, it blurs the line. At what point does it stop being Top Chef and become Top Chef Masters? And part of the appeal of TCM was the famous names with the big reputations competing to move on to the next round. I'm sure these are really talented and accomplished chefs, but so are a lot of contestants on regular TC, so what's the real difference here? I'd pit the best ones against this bunch and I'd bet on them to win as well.

So yeah, I'm annoyed that they messed with the format, maybe diluted the cast level (I mean name recognition/reputation-wise), and removed some of the personnel to make room for Curtis Stone, who doesn't really impress me. Bring back Kelly Choi and Jay Rayner! Or even Johnny Iuzzini.

And where's Ludo? I thought he was going to keep coming back until he won. I even miss him.

These are first impressions and my opinions may change as the episodes go on, but right now I am not liking this whole set-up and most of the cheftestants. On the other hand I'm so disappointed right now I might just stop watching altogether.

Edited by annakam, Apr 13, 2011 @ 8:44 AM.

TeamSpungo

TeamSpungo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

Is it too early to say that I don't like these chefs? Particularly Portland Communal Dining Chef? Yeah, that's a good idea to enforce on people who are working together for the first time.

How exactly did she force anyone? I don't mean that in a snide way at all -- there's been some sentiment here to the effect that she steamrolled her teammates, and I have wondered about that, because you can't "steamroll" a group of adults with free will. These are professionals. If you have an issue with a proposed idea, strenuously object and sort it out with your team. It makes me wonder whether the team leader has the ultimate say and can overrule everyone? The leader's role hasn't ever been made clear to me.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 6:04 AM

there's been some sentiment here to the effect that she steamrolled her teammates, and I have wondered about that, because you can't "steamroll" a group of adults with free will. These are professionals.

I will add, these are professional "chefs". A chef is the head of a kitchen. The person in charge. TCMasters is comprised of only chefs in the truest sense of the word. No line cooks, no sous chefs, and certainly no one just out of school. On a team full of chefs, Pomeroy was, if you don't mind the oft over used expression, the alpha chef.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Thomas Paine.

Never have I heard a quote so totally appropriate for the madness that can be the BOH. On a team full of leaders, Pomeroy took the lead, and from what we saw as viewers, the rest followed. Whose fault is that?