22-8: "This Game Respects Big Moves" 2011.04.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

383 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 8:45 PM

The former tribes have big plans for one castaway who has the potential to change the game. Meanwhile, this same castaway grapples with the decision of whether to make the powerful move.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

This just in: Grant is still an idiot. I really thought it was going to Matt there; they had it. Oh well, I'm team Ometeme anyway!

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

I don't know if I laughed more at the new tribe name, Matt getting thrown back to Redemption Island, or the moment with Phillip's feather in the preview, but I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

jtltke137

jtltke137

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

I checked with my Lord and Savior - Satan - and he told me that he doesn't want Matt to win.

Martillo

Martillo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

Matt hit the nail on the head when he said "apparently I am just not good at this game". And that's what really sucks about RI - he could come back again. Horrible.

Nice challenge win by Natalie.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I can only hope that Matt defeats his opponents and comes back fiercer than ever. Also, I will never appreciate anything Rob does, and can't wait until his insufferable ass is off of my screen.

Edited by MarigoldSkye, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:03 PM.

Machiabelly

Machiabelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I am confused. Doesn't that move put Rob in a worse position? Maybe next week after getting rid of one of the other team.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

Murlonio? Hilarious. And also sort of adorable, I totally buy that Amber still has stuffed animals.

Great episode. Loved David's "genius" assessment of Matty going back to RI.

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

That episode was hilarious! Oh my god, that was so cruel to Matt. I loved it.

I am confused. Doesn't that move put Rob in a worse position? Maybe next week after getting rid of one of the other team.

Yeah I'm not sure it was the best move, but Matt is wishy washy and Rob didn't want to wait until Matt flipped on him with Andrea.

Edited by Scat, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:06 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Wow, Matt is really bad at this. That was a spectacularly bad episode for him, both personally (To quote Miss Alli, God is in the tub) and strategically. He managed to get Andrea to vote him out. Well done. I hope she and Phillip bail at 9 though, just for some drama to be inserted. It does move them from 6th and 5th to 5th and 4th so there's some merit to the idea too.

6-5 versus 5-5-2.

Edited by enlightenedbum, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:06 PM.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Dear Matt,

We're out dealing with larger issues at the moment. Please leave a message at the beep.

Sincerely,
God and Jesus

Granted, I can see where being alone with God for that many days and winning the challenge would give you a certain sense of confidence. But not so much the game strategy.

Rob for the win in talking to Grant:
Grant: I feel bad, he's a good Christian.
Rob: And he can keep being one on Redemption Island.

And Phillip. I think Probst would engineer anything possible to keep Phillip around forever. Because all he has to do is say, "So, Phillip..." and he's off to the races.

be arthur

be arthur

Loyal Viewer

God hates Matt with the fire of a thousand suns.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

Matt shouldn't be in the game. If you get voted off, be forced into limited interaction with others, win a bunch of duels, come back into the game, and still get voted off? You're gone. You're too stupid to play the game. It's not God's will, but Rob's. Sadly, some people can't tell the difference.

Also, WTF is up with Redemption Island still being in play? I don't get it. How long should somebody be out of the game before being thrust back in? If it ended tonight, it would've been logical. I think Burnett and Co. overthought themselves on this one.

Probst lodges himself out of Russell's colon for this episode, but Phillip does the whole "throwing challenges is unhonourable" thing (yes, he is pretentious enough to throw in a "u" despite being American), even though getting the Russhole out of the game was logical. And if Phillip and the Ometepes had brains in their heads, Rob would be at the same bar as Russell, crying in their respective beers. Seriously, why does everybody immediately let Rob name the tribe? Debate would've been nice. Now they're stuck with an inside joke Rob has with Ambah, and they look like choads for falling for it.

Next week: Couldn't Phillip get a Section 8 out of the game already? The man is a mental case.

ETA: Quick question . . . since Matt was checking back into the game, shouldn't he have gotten immunity for this round? Lillian and Burton did when they came back on Pearl Islands.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:08 PM.

gummo

gummo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

That? was a thing of beauty.

Time and again in Survivor, it's been shown that it never pays to keep around a wavering loose cannon, especially one who can't keep his mouth shut. Even Andrea finally realized Matt is too dumb and unpredictable to hitch her wagon to. So once again, with surgical precision, the Rahbfather cut out the cancer.

AND flushed out Ralph's idol in the bargain.

And I loved how he foresaw every move Matt and Mike tried to make. I saw a primal difference between Rob and Russell this episode -- when Rob was discussing what he thought Mike was up to, he ended with "because that's what I would do." Rob always assumes his enemies are as smart as he is; Russell always assumed he was smarter than everybody.

And the episode title should have gone to Probst: Everybody Grab Your Balls!

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

Philip talking the entire 15 minutes over the RI challenge was awesomely hysterical. And the "parasitic" rant at TC just added to it. I'm sure it was all editing, but it was wonderful.

Edited by tvgoddess, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:08 PM.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

What's the deal with Rob? If someone dares to have a thought, even if that thought is to stay loyal to Rob, that person who vocalizes that independent thought must be voted out? I don't understand Rob's reasoning, since Matt said he would stay with his original tribe.

PaulJones202718

PaulJones202718

Loyal Viewer

Well, Phillip is no longer the craziest idiot in the game; that dishonor goes to Matt for telling someone who hates him that he was going to vote him out. Sure, it might bite Rob on the ass down the line but, well, someone shoulda told Matt God helps those who help themselves.

BtvsVamp

BtvsVamp

Couch Potato

Honestly there were so many bad plays by EVERYONE tonight. Matt for opening his mouth to Rob, Rob for turning on Matt before the enemy tribe, and Zap for wasting an idol.

Andrea was the linchpin in this whole plan. I'm guessing she reassured Matt that he was okay and that's why he stuck with his old tribe even after he saw them acting oddly. I feel bad for him but it's his own fault.

But Rob is incredibly lucky that that stupid move paid off. Why would you target someone you aren't sure where they stand exactly but do know where the other tribe stands? It's like a cop arresting a possible thief over a group of people he just saw steal.

Edited by BtvsVamp, Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:10 PM.

Martillo

Martillo

Fanatic

Loved David's "genius" assessment of Matty going back to RI.

There was a bunch of "wish I'd thought of that" on David's face. He's probably thinking he wishes he could have played on their tribe instead of his own.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:08 PM

I'd have more sympathy for Matt if he hadn't, so casually, messed up Andrea's game and tattled on Mike. None of that was necessary, all he needed to do was tell Rob he was still loyal to Ometepe.

Machiabelly

Machiabelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:08 PM

But it ups the chances of Andrea flipping right away and making it 6-5 against Rob.

Plus he may have been wishy washy before, but I think it will be clear what side he is on if comes back again

Jaen the Glad

Jaen the Glad

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:09 PM

Holy Idiot, Mattman!

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:11 PM

This:

And the episode title should have gone to Probst: Everybody Grab Your Balls!

I was going to mention that the past few challenges have been very heavy on the balls comments from Probst. (Ahem.) He's got a sort of theme going this season.

Also, yes, loved that palpable look of envy on David's face when he commented on the genius of it. He's wishing he'd been born an Ometepe. Of course, Rob would have voted him right off, but still.

Kirblar

Kirblar

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

This was the best possible move for Rob here. Flushed an idol, eliminated someone who would eventually flip on him, and made his alliance 1 person smaller. Large alliances tend to splinter more easily.

martysue

martysue

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

Can Andrea and Matt really be that stupid? If we can believe the previews for next week I may join team Grant...right now I'm on team anybody but Rob.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

Love Rob's shout out to his wife. As for whether or not it puts Rob in a worse position, it's like this. Matt was really considering a flip. Whose to say after this vote he doesn't flip and take Andrea with him it becomes 6-5 the other way then.

Better to get rid of Matt now if Andrea turns on him then she's tighter to him and he's got a better grip on his tribe.

(Despite the previews i don't see Grant flipping yet way too early.)

Martillo

Martillo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:14 PM

What's the deal with Rob? If someone dares to have a thought, even if that thought is to stay loyal to Rob, that person who vocalizes that independent thought must be voted out? I don't understand Rob's reasoning, since Matt said he would stay with his original tribe.

Hate to defend Rob because it makes me seem like I'm fully in his corner - which I am not - but that is not what happened.

Rob voted for Matt for two distinct reasons, both of which he clearly articulated to the camera. First - Matt was bonding over a common interest (the bible) which is a threat to anyone outside that bond. Second - Matt was actively talking to the other tribe about voting against Rob's tribe, and openly admitted that he considered doing it. Those are the reasons Rob chose to vote him back out. Not because Matt vocalized independent thought.

TVGuy

TVGuy

Couch Potato

Boo to redemption island still being in the game! How many times do they have to let Matt prove he sucks at the game? If he gets back in at final 6 or whatever, it will be completely undeserved. If they want to make the game all about challenges, then just let them compete each week and eliminate the worst player.

And Matt - have you ever watched the show? You don't tell Rob of all people you had a plan to get rid of him. You just tell him you're going to be loyal, and let him take out the other tribe. Then you can decide if you want to make a move later. Don't put the target on your back. Sheesh.

Nathalie seems to be Rob's confidante, but we never hear her perspective on anything. It seems like his final 3 plans are her and Grant, with Ashley at final 4. I kinda like how Nathalie seems to find all the crazy people on her tribe hilarious - I think I'd be doing the same thing.

Phillip is hilarious, I hope he sticks around till the final 4.

But it ups the chances of Andrea flipping right away and making it 6-5 against Rob.

Doubtful, since Andrea helped vote off Matt. If she were going to flip, she would have done so with Matt, not after she voted off someone who was an ally in theory. Flipping by herself earns her nothing next week - she'd be #6 in that alliance and is currently #5, and at 5 it's everyone for themselves, especially if she thinks it will be Rob/Grant vs Ashley/Nathalie.

PaulJones202718

PaulJones202718

Loyal Viewer

Rob is desperate to make sure he finally wins the game; if that means being paranoid and attacking anyone who alarms him, that's just how he rolls.

Shinhao

Shinhao

Channel Surfer

Hmm...conflicted about BRob's decision to kick out Matt.

Pros:

+ Giving Matt two more days with Andrea is risky. By going for Matt right away, Andrea wasn't comfortable flipping, although she seemed willing to consider it. He nipped it in the bud.

+ A 6-5 tribe split is better than a 6-4-plus-Matt split, in terms of keeping everyone loyal.

Cons:

+ Matt was genuinely on board with Ometepe, it seems like a waste to kick him out.

+ Matt served as a useful distraction to keep the attention off of B-Rob.

WTF:

+ Ralph giving his immunity to Mike.