Body of Proof: China Beach Grows Up

• Please log in to reply

753 replies to this topic

ellasmom

ellasmom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Love this first installment. This show has the correct formula to succeed- great cast, good writing and top notch performance with no apology from its lead. Dana Delany is just perfect in this role.

It is interesting to see how may past L Word folks have new ventures. Sarah S ( Fairly Legal) is doing quite well, Dana D. has a great new vehicle in this venture, but sorry to say J. Beals just under performs in Chicago Code!

DD, good to see your snark back on the small screen! Love It!

janet a

janet a

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

I thought it was good too, but it seems like DD is the oldest cast member on the show; both her bosses are younger than she. That's gotta grate at some point. :) Will definitely be watching this for at least a while.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

I think having both her bosses is interesting dynamic. She was a top-notch neurosurgeon after all so she was probably fairly old by the time she finished residency etc. Then she built her career, then had the accident, and now is starting all over. Lots of potential for the age piece to be interesting I think!

Enjoyed it and set the DVR to tape Sunday's special episode!

Cinder

Cinder

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:39 PM

I just couldn't get over the fact that her immediate boss is the delivery guy in the Miller Lite commercials.

Could someone tell me how the show ended? I had to go out of the room and didn't DVR.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

First thought was I just finished watching Star Trek: Voyager recently and I want to know how in the hell does Jeri Ryan still almost looks the same, even thought that was almost 15 years ago. Seriously, she still looks great!

Ryan was the reason I decided to give it a shot, but I'd liked it enough to give it a few more episodes. Didn't find it to be the most original thing out there, but Dana Delany was real good and the supporting cast was solid (although, I hope Ryan's character will have more to do in future episodes.) Cool seeing a few other recognizable faces like John Carroll Lynch from Gran Torino as the detective, and Bruce Altman, currently on Blue Bloods as the douchy mayor, as the vasectomy doctor that helped Megan find the guy.

Although, do M.E.'s really get to all that stuff that she did, like follow the cops? My only knowledge of the profession comes from Law & Order frankly, and that never happens.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

Could someone tell me how the show ended? I had to go out of the room and didn't DVR.

The killer was the wife of the attorney Angela was sleeping with. She came home and found Angela and her husband having sex on the sofa. Instead of hitting them with a blunt object, she put her son's antibiotic into Angela's sports drink. The wife was a nurse and knew that that was poison to Angela (don't remember why). Angela went for a run, passed out, and fell into the water.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

There are a lot of things about this show that drew me in. I miss Crossing Jordan, and Jeri Ryan plays a similar role to the one she had on Shark, which I loved it. I'm glad it didn't disappoint, it was a little different than I imagined, but not bad.

I like that they started the show a few months down the road and not with the accident itself. I think the exposition dump with the assisant (?), Peter, was a little awkward, but I'll just accept what the show was telling me: that while for me it's a new show, for him it's been six months and he's fed up. Now that the exposition is over and done with, I'm ready to move on with the show.

I actually had a bit of a shock when the victim's lover was revealed for the first time: he was the bad-guy-of-the-week on The Good Wife, which I just finished watching. What are the odds?

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 1:51 AM

I liked it. Dana Delaney is always a delight and the supporting cast looks promising. Not once was I irritated by any of them.

My only gripe: The ending was a little to Scooby Do, where are you?. It's as if the wifes imaginary mask was pulled off while surrounded by Scooby and the gang with Dana/Megan/Velma breaking the whole thing down. I thought for sure we were going to get the obligatory "And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling detectives." Oh well.

I'll still be turning in. One thing I don't hope to see is that Peter character as her love interest (because you know she has to have one). He's a little boring. My bet is they'll bring in a guest star to boost sagging ratings or benefit from stellar ratings and bring in a better guest star.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 2:01 AM

I've loved Dana Delany since her days as McMurphy, and she's wonderful here. She's the reason to tune in, and boy has she aged beautifully.

The case did feel very rushed at the end, but that's not different from most crime shows.

It's also nice to see Kima from The Wire again. I hope she gets more to do on here because we know she can handle it.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

Matt Roush's review on tvguide.com was lukewarm but I decided to give it a shot. I liked it and will be tuning in again. Most pilots don't do it for me but this one did just fine. Dana Delaney is fun and has fun with her role. I didn't know Jeri Ryan was a regular but if so good. I can't say that I disliked any of the characters.

Sonja Sohn! I love her and hope they give her more to do as well.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

Although, do M.E.'s really get to all that stuff that she did, like follow the cops? My only knowledge of the profession comes from Law & Order frankly, and that never happens.

I came here to ask that exact question because none of the other shows that I have seen have ever had an M.E. do all that she did. I mean, seriously, was it necessary for her to go to interview witnesses and watch an interrogation? She's an M.E. not a fuckerbitching policeman! M.E.'s are supposed to examine the body, fill a report, give the report to the police and then move on!

That being said, I enjoyed the pilot. Dana is awesome...I just wish they'd get a younger/better looking partner for her!

Miri Cleo

Miri Cleo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:21 AM

Whether or not M.E.s get to do that stuff really didn't bother me. Half way throughout, you knew who committed the murder anyway. But the show was still incredibly appealing for the characters. Delany was great, and the supporting cast is strong all around. I was entertained the entire time.

ABC, since it finally pinned down the timeslot, has been doing a lot to promo the show. Though during the live tweeting last night, the ABC account was misspelling John Carroll Lynch's twitter...Loved that @DrMeganHunt and @DrKate Murphy were tweeting too.

As someone said above, I hope her investigative partner gets better and it doesn't go where it completely looks like it's going. She had more chemistry with Jeri Ryan in three seconds than with him, but maybe Jeri just does brings that.

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

I came here to ask that exact question because none of the other shows that I have seen have ever had an M.E. do all that she did.

Pretty sure it was completely absurd, but I've learned to swallow a lot thanks to the shows like Castle and Bones.

This was a pretty enjoyable yarn, and I like the characters. Nice to see a MOM with a teenage daughter instead of a dad, ala Castle, Shark, Lie To Me -- way to break the mold, Body of Proof! And REALLY nice that the daughter has a fraught relationship with the mom, so maybe we won't have to deal with her 'adorable precociousness' all the time. The bit with the cake at the end was sweet.

I'll be sticking with it.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:31 AM

Goodness the actor listing alone will keep me watching....Dana, Jeri, Sonja Sohn......hopefully the writing will catch up!

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:33 AM

I think the exposition dump with the assisant (?), Peter, was a little awkward

For me, the most extreme one was with the doctor (whose name I can't remember, but the actor played the mother's sleazy boyfriend in Rookie of the Year). Something to the effect of, "Is this the Megan Hunt who's cared more about the dead than the living ever since she killed a patient on the operating table?" That was hilariously awkward.

Peter (that's the investigator, right?) looks like Simon Baker crossed with someone else. Mostly Simon Baker, but there's someone else in there too. Can't quite put my finger on who.

Edited by Redtracer, Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:34 AM.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:39 AM

Interesting there are so many positive comments. I thought it was fairly weak. I didn't like the in your face approach she had, found it offputting and too stiff for what Dana is capable of. Heavy on the speeches this pilot episode as well. Completely unbelievable that an ME is interrogating witnesses and no explanation of what the "can't cover up my Australian accent" ex-cop and her do in terms of investigating the case and why they are allowed to do it. The least they could have done was offer up a Bones type experiment/collaboration explanation, that would help me ignore it more. Also ridiculous was her lunch with a fellow surgeon to break doctor-patient privilege and him willingly doing it with zero consequences for either. Ridiculous and what's more, unnecessary to advance the plot.

Dana is definitely beautiful but heavy on the botox, as I didn't see her upper cheeks move even once. I remember them moving on Desperate Housewives and I think on Castle too, so hopefully this is a temporary after effect. She does not need that kind of help looking pretty.

Also, very crappy decision by the producers to set the show in Philadelphia but not shoot there or in a city that looks like Philly. Its obviously not Philly and quite obviously a New England city to anyone who knows the two areas well enough and cares to pay attention to the outside shots (haven't decided which NE city - not Hartford, obviously not Boston, don't think its New Haven either, a couple more shots and I'd be able to say for sure). They should have just set it in whatever city they decided to shoot in. It looks nothing like Philly and the aerial shots of Philly aren't covering up that they aren't really there.

I usually give a show 3 chances before bailing. Here, they'll have to sell me in the next ep that the pilot was a poorly written effort and the rest will be better, which does happen all the time. I watched this show for Dana, Geoffrey, and Sonja, I'll give it another shot for them. But it really will have to be much better for me to think about watching it my customary 3 times, especially given the timeslot it's in.

Edited by JasmineFlower, Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:47 AM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

I found this to be Crossing Jordan redux. And I'm already tired of the issues with the daughter - really? strained familial relationships, especially with teen child? like that's never been done. Oh, except in nearly ever drama ever. yawn. If they don't focus too much on that though, I'll keep watching. I did like Crossing Jordan in the beginning too, despite Jordan being way to involved in cases (like here).

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

I actually liked this, it fits well with my NCIS shows, would love for it to switch stations and run after them.

mishy

mishy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

Peter (that's the investigator, right?) looks like Simon Baker crossed with someone else. Mostly Simon Baker, but there's someone else in there too. Can't quite put my finger on who.

I think he looks like some unholy combination of Jeremy Renner and Ben McKenzie. I enjoyed the show, I have nothing I'm watching at that time and it kept me interested for the hour, I guess that's all I expect from a pilot.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 9:06 AM

I watched this because I thought a friend of a friend was going to be on it, but he wasn't. Maybe his episode is a future one. I didn't know Sonja Sohn was on it! Bonus.

Also, very crappy decision by the producers to set the show in Philadelphia but not shoot there or in a city that looks like Philly. Its obviously not Philly and quite obviously a New England city to anyone who knows the two areas well enough and cares to pay attention to the outside shots (haven't decided which NE city - not Hartford, obviously not Boston, don't think its New Haven either, a couple more shots and I'd be able to say for sure). They should have just set it in whatever city they decided to shoot in. It looks nothing like Philly and the aerial shots of Philly aren't covering up that they aren't really there.

It's filmed in Providence. The friend of a friend was shooting there over the summer, which is how I know. (He'd come straight from shooting to our mutual friend's wedding and we chatted about the show a little. All I know about his episode is that it involves skinheads - he'd had longer hair and they made him buzz it for the show.) And then they said Philly, which is my hometown and I'm always happy to see it on TV, but I was annoyed because I know they don't actually film there. Providence is a nice enough city (my brother went to college there) but it's really not like Philly at all, in looks, size, or attitude. I wonder why they didn't film in Philly?

I know a Philly neurosurgeon and he has enough clout now (he's in his late 50s, has made the "Best Doctors" list in Philadelphia Magazine for at least a dozen years) that he works more manageable hours, but yeah, it is not a 9-5 path in the slightest. I did think it was interesting that a "woman who works 18 hours a day is a negligent mother but a man who does is a good provider." And I liked that the daughter's relationship with Dr. Hunt was strained.

I didn't love it, but I'll keep checking it out at least until the guy I know is on.

(Aside: why is everything on Tuesday at 10? I watch Parenthood, just got back into The Good Wife, and now this!)

wunderbar12

wunderbar12

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

I thought the show tried way too hard to make Megan Hunt "that character" - and it really stretched the bounds of reality to have the ME doing all she did. I like Dana Delaney and Jeri Ryan but the writing fails them both.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

I came here to ask that exact question because none of the other shows that I have seen have ever had an M.E. do all that she did. I mean, seriously, was it necessary for her to go to interview witnesses and watch an interrogation? She's an M.E. not a fuckerbitching policeman! M.E.'s are supposed to examine the body, fill a report, give the report to the police and then move on!

I found this to be Crossing Jordan redux.

I must have officially hit old fart status because this show had Jack Klugman's Quincy M.E. all over it to me.
The most unbelievable to me that the LAWYER who knew he was a suspect, even if the doc was hinting that wifey had done it said to go ahead and search my house

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

I live in SE MA, about 20 minutes from Providence, so I gave it a try and did not like it at all. DD character drove me crazy. So annoying.

But I when they were in town filming I did see them around a few times. Once on a coffee ran to Starbucks and the other time while filming on location in the pouring rain.

Providence is a nice enough city (my brother went to college there) but it's really not like Philly at all, in looks, size, or attitude. I wonder why they didn't film in Philly?

Tax breaks. That is also why 27 Dresses was filmed here.

Edited by liz26111, Mar 30, 2011 @ 9:23 PM.

LoveTheRed

LoveTheRed

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Dana is definitely beautiful but heavy on the botox, as I didn't see her upper cheeks move even once.

That! 5 minutes in the show, all I could see was the botox stiff upper lip. Was reminded of how grating I thought Dana Delaney was in China Beach. In China Beach, I could get over it because China Beach was a great, well written show.

Not the case of Body of Proof, that has awful dialog, trying to hard to be funny, and not achieving it. Trying to hard to get all the main character's back story out of the way, in a not very clever way, at the oddest places. It looked like they where not telling a story, but filling in a check list for the definition of the main character. On paper there is no real main character. A checklist makes a very poor main character.

With so poor material is not surprising that Dana Delaney acting is all over the place. She didn't give us a layered character. She was trying out different characters with different voices and mannerism, and has no idea who her character is. Hard to build a real character from a checklist and bad dialog.

As for the case, it was lazy filler. Culprit is only introduced at the arrest scene? That is piss poor writing for a a show that is designed fill ABC's need for another procedural, other than Castle. They are desperate to get another scripted show that repeats well, like all the good procedurals (House, CSI, NCIS). They are not going to get it when the show is bad as this one.

Ratings:

10:00 ABC Body Of Proof 3.2 8 14.727
10:30 ABC Body Of Proof 2.8 8 12.975

Not bad. 70% of retention from DTWS, then It is really not good when one notices that the show lost .4 in the demo between the 2 halves, and 1.7M viewers didn't stay for the second half of the show. At 10pm, it is expected that a show loses viewers. 1-3% of the viewers watching TV go to bed between 10 and 11. Anything over that means they don't like what they are seeing. 1.7M is a lot of people not liking what they are seeing. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, and how big the drop is going to be next week. Because there is going to be a drop.

Edited by LoveTheRed, Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:24 AM.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

It's filmed in Providence. The friend of a friend was shooting there over the summer, which is how I know. (He'd come straight from shooting to our mutual friend's wedding and we chatted about the show a little. All I know about his episode is that it involves skinheads - he'd had longer hair and they made him buzz it for the show.) And then they said Philly, which is my hometown and I'm always happy to see it on TV, but I was annoyed because I know they don't actually film there. Providence is a nice enough city (my brother went to college there) but it's really not like Philly at all, in looks, size, or attitude. I wonder why they didn't film in Philly?

Thank you! Providence was definitely one I was thinking of but wanted another look at that bridge and marina area. Makes sense.

As for why its not shooting in Philly? I'm not sure. Tax breaks aren't the reason, Philly gives those just like Providence does, that's why so many things have filmed and are filming there. If they wanted to shoot in Providence, that's cool, I'm just not clear on why you wouldn't set it there as well. Wanted it set in a major metropolitan? Okay I guess, but Providence looks nothing like Philly, so its a bad substitute.

I'm happy to see a few others taking issue with the writing of the show, because it was a big disappointment here. A show can only be so good without decent writing no matter how good the actors.

FilmBuff90

FilmBuff90

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

Not bad. 70% of retention from DTWS, then It is really not good when one notices that the show lost .4 in the demo between the 2 halves, and 1.7M viewers didn't stay for the second half of the show.

My bad. I gave up at that point and went back to episodes of "Cheers" I Tivo'd off the Hallmark Channel. Much more fun watching Diane worry about when the gang will get back at her for her psychology class experiment.

I tuned in because I liked Megan's attitude in the commercials, but then it just grated on me when it turned out to be yet another procedural.

Edited by FilmBuff90, Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:03 PM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:10 PM

Tax breaks aren't the reason, Philly gives those just like Providence does, that's why so many things have filmed and are filming there.

Yeah, the Robert De Niro/Bradley Cooper movie Limitless that's out now was filmed in Philly (which I plan to see). I think that terrible-looking Reese Witherspoon/Paul Rudd/Owen Wilson movie was filmed at least partially in Philly too (which I will NEVER see, because it looks like shit), and something with Jason Statham just wrapped, I think.

At least with Cold Case, which was also set in Philly, they did film in Philly a little (I think they would come to Philly for a bit each season and get all their stock footage, I remember friends saying they saw them filming on the steps of City Hall or whatever), and their stock footage of Philly was more genuine - more than just shots of the skyline. I remember an episode where they mentioned Germantown (a neighborhood in the northwest section of Philly) and then cut to a shot of a set of Germantown row homes that anyone who's ever been to Germantown would immediately recognize. This show doesn't do that at all, at least not yet. I don't know why they didn't just set it in Providence.

Edited by Empress1, Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:15 PM.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

I think he looks like some unholy combination of Jeremy Renner and Ben McKenzie. I enjoyed the show, I have nothing I'm watching at that time and it kept me interested for the hour, I guess that's all I expect from a pilot.

The voice was very Eric Danes to me.

sunflowers31

sunflowers31

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

To me, Peter looks like a cross between Simon Baker and Kenneth Branagh (Emma Thompson's ex).

LoveTheRed

LoveTheRed

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

I don't know why they didn't just set it in Providence.

Providence: population 178,042, 15 murders last year. The average season has 22 episodes.
Philadelphia: 1.5 million residents; one murder per day.

Small population is not a limitation, per se, Agatha Christie avoided to killing, and sending to jail the entire population of St. Mary Mead by having Ms Marple visit friends. The same trick was used in Murder She Wrote. When your main character is medical examiner you are more limited in the traveling your character can do in search of the next crime. There are no troupes of traveling medical examiners that your character can join.

Edited by LoveTheRed, Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:35 PM.