S11: Marlee Matlin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 4:53 PM

Jack kind of fascinates me. He's supposed to just kind of blend in and not really be a person in his own right in these types of situations, but at the same time, he's been her business partner for going on 20 years and has been the driving force between a lot of her success. She talks in her book about how he basically met her while he was still in college and she was just starting out, and then he got his degree in film or something so he would have the business savvy, and is her manager-slash-business partner. He is not just a paid by the hour straight-out interpreter at all. And you won't convince me that having him is not a bit of an advantage for her :) I am sure they have all kinds of shorthand with each other when they communicate. Even something as simple as a way he can get her to relax or calm down if she's upset. It reminds me of the time I played the game Taboo (you get a word and your team has to guess it, but you can't say certain other words as clues, e.g. the word is Halloween but you can't say pumpkin or candy). There were two players on the other team who were a couple and it was so unfair. One of them would get up there and get their word and then just say something like 'October 24, 1987' and the other could guess it :)

LoraxGirl

LoraxGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

Jack probably is an advantage for her, I just don't think he is censoring her. But really, she is the only one in that room who will always have an ally with her, no matter what craziness is going on with the task. She has admitted to talking about people behind the backs in front of their face with Jack, so I'm guessing there is some of that going on with Jack now, which is probably quite calming. They clearly have a great relationship. I'm surprised they didn't show any celebration between the two of them after the win, I think in many ways it was just as much of a win for him as it was for her. Maybe we will see that in the next episode.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

You can talk about Jack in here.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Loraxgirl, where has she admitted this?

This is reminding me of the students I work with (I am a teacher) who have a shadow or teacher aide. The aide is there exclusively for them, but even so, they do have interactions with the other children in the class (and with the other staff). We didn't invite them to the staff Christmas party (there is more than one, and they rotate periodically). But certainly, there are moments where they do interact with others as their own person. I wonder if an interpreter in this circumstance falls into the same category or not. Is Jack forbidden from small-talking with the other players on any matter other than strict interpreting of Marlee's signing? Is he getting paid to be there too, or does his cut come from whatever she gets?

This is also reminding me of the Big Brother season which had the twins competing as one player :) Different scenario, but the 'two people, one role' thing was similar in that both of them played for the 'team' of the joint persona they were representing, which was a sort of amalgam of the two of them :)

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

She has admitted to talking about people behind the backs in front of their face with Jack, so I'm guessing there is some of that going on with Jack now, which is probably quite calming.

I think that's an advantage in that she knows Jack and they're friends, which no one else has, but it's not like Nene couldn't whisper to LaToya about Gary Busey being a lunatic or something. It's just easier with sign, as they don't need to whisper or sneak to do it, so it wouldn't raise suspicion, and it's not seen as rude like saying something in a different verbal language in front of people who don't speak it is.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 7:13 AM

And as we saw last episode, there's also a disadvantage to her having Jack as she couldn't whisper to her collegues out of earshot of the men. Jack had to get up out of his chair to do the whispering for her... though I guess she could have written her intentions on a piece of paper.

LoraxGirl

LoraxGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

masked_spangler, I don't know if she has done that on this show. He probably has some very strict rules he has to follow and if she is signing a lot without him saying anything, I imagine that would cause suspicion. However, I do remember an interview from a couple of years ago where she mentioned she was at some sort of function, and she and Jack were signing about the other people there, and some famous person came up and started signing fluently to her. She said it was funny, but made them realize they needed to be more careful. I would think on this show, there are enough cameras around that they would keep it to a minimum, but I'm sure during the non-task times, like during the celebrations in the war rooms, it happens at least a little.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

Anyone read the articles about Marlee owing the IRS 50 grand? One of them talked about her having to take her kids out of private school and sell their home. Things must be really bad.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

I saw her on some interview just before the finale - it was Piers Morgan because he was like an ignoramus amazed that she could hold a conversation with Jack there - and she said that she did have the bill, she was paying it and has been, and that the stuff about the house and the kids was totally false.

Edited by beezer, May 29, 2011 @ 1:32 PM.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 3:25 AM

and that the stuff about the house and the kids was totally false.

I will try to find the link, but the house has already been listed.

Here it is..

The property is listed by Tamara Fredrickson of Sotheby's International Realty, Pasadena.

Edited by TryingHarder, May 30, 2011 @ 3:34 AM.

kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Was anyone else surprised that she didn't win?

It's funny to see people here talking about how she's not A-list, because I always think of Celebrity Apprentice as being populated by people who... maybe were A-list ONCE (La Toya), but haven't done anything in a long time. Or who are distinctly not A-List. (Nene) I suppose that John Rich and Star Jones could be counter-examples, in that at least they're currently famous. (And Lil Jon? Whose middle name is apparently MORTIMER?!)

But Marlee Matlin seemed to me to be the only Hollywood type on the show who had any talent. (Trying to leave the musicians out of it!) She stood out from the beginning as somebody who actually had awards and great acting to her credit, instead of being famous for being famous. (Sorry, Gary.)

And then once she started taking more of a leadership role on her team, she had magical drama-free skills. Even the most obnoxious, most contentious, fight-pickin'est people on the show had nothing but respect for her and for what a great job she was doing. She's got a Teflon outer shell or something.

The more I saw, the clearer it became that she was an amazing strategist. I don't know how "His can was better and he raised some extra money" trumped "He didn't have anyone greet the executives and he messed up the timeline of the entire event." Although John Rich was, as much as he could be, the Marlee of the men's team.

Also, love this, from http://www.afterelle.../marlee-matlin:

But Matlin's rise to fame began much earlier: When she was seven-years-old, Matlin's teacher at the Center on Deafness and the Arts approached her about starring in their stage production of The Wizard of Oz. "Would you like to be Dorothy?" her teacher asked. Matlin's response: "I am Dorothy."

Not long after, she won a competition for her essay, "If I Was A Movie Star."

If I was a movie star, I would ride in a limousine.

When I go out of the limousine I would give everyone my best autograph and I would let people take my picture. Ohhh, when I am on the stage I would give everyone my best smile.

I would have a huge house which would have mirrors all over. I would love when people would write me letters. I would love to send them back but it's hard to write all the people.

I would love to meet all movie stars! They are so nice!!

I want to make movies all my life!

I am the best!!!

Here's my autograph.

Edited by kaleidoscope, Jun 6, 2011 @ 11:09 AM.