Klaus: The Original Original

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

I hope it is not premature to start this thread but I've been keeping an eye on Klaus on the internet and by way of twitter. I hate to say it, but I don't believe he is gonna be half the vampire Elijah has been. Supposedly, he makes Elijah look like the Easter Bunny, but I'd love to see him pull off half of that. I hope they can convince me, because I don't believe it and I don't see it!

Lexis67

Lexis67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

I think itís pretty harsh to judge an actor based off their twitter. If someone were to tell me that Ian Somerhalder was supposed to play a badass vampire, and I looked at his twitter, Iíd laugh my ass off and wouldnít believe it. Their personality isnít supposed to be like their characters personality. Thatís the whole point of acting.

I have a little bit more hope for him. I watched the Ben-Hur remake recently, just to check him out, and can actually kind of see him as Klaus. Heís got an awesome voice/accent, and he isnít exactly traditionally handsome. He came off intimidating when he wasnít even supposed to. So while Iím not going to put my expectations too high, Iím not going to completely write him off just yet.

Edited by Lexis67, Mar 22, 2011 @ 6:03 PM.

bartered goods

bartered goods

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 7:53 AM

I wasn't impressed with his photograph, but given how much I've enjoyed some of the other actors they've brought in (Gillies as Elijah, Olivieri as Andie), I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Actually, if he turns out to be half as awesome as Klaus as Gillies has been as Elijah, I'm going to start writing the producers to demand an Originals spin-off. (j/k! kinda...)

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

I think itís pretty harsh to judge an actor based off their twitter. If someone were to tell me that Ian Somerhalder was supposed to play a badass vampire, and I looked at his twitter, Iíd laugh my ass off and wouldnít believe it. Their personality isnít supposed to be like their characters personality. Thatís the whole point of acting.

I have a little bit more hope for him. I watched the Ben-Hur remake recently, just to check him out, and can actually kind of see him as Klaus. Heís got an awesome voice/accent, and he isnít exactly traditionally handsome. He came off intimidating when he wasnít even supposed to. So while Iím not going to put my expectations too high, Iím not going to completely write him off just yet.

I'm not suggesting he can't act, my feelings are that there is no way is going to make Elijah look like an Easter bunny. If he does, my hat is off to him. I'm sure the actor will do a good job, and I have yet to be disappointed by the casting decisions. For him to surpass Elijah, he will almost need to be able to fly, get into homes without invitations, do the Bonnie migraine thing and teleport hearts out of chests. Otherwise, Elijah will just become the Robin to the Klaus Batman.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 3:55 AM

I was impressed with Morgan in Ben-Hur as well, and I'm excited about his potential.

I think the key will be to make Klaus *different* from Elijah. I think a lot of us can agree that Elijah's manner and presence can't exactly be surpassed, even by someone somehow stronger (such as in the ways you suggested: flying, etc.). Daniel Gillies just brings that sense of ancient and superior and unstoppable. So the only way for Klaus to intimidate and impress as someone Elijah was subservient to will be if it's apples and oranges.

I haven't read the books, so I know nothing about Klaus in the books, but it was my impression from Joseph Morgan's twitter that he has read the books. I wonder if that will affect his portrayal?

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

ashes has a good point. A lot of us love Elijah because of what Gillies brings to it, but he's also written as someone who lives by his own vampire code. A man of his word, values loyalty, but otherwise utterly ruthless.

With Klaus, he could be more dangerous for example if he was batshit crazy, for example. If he really is the oldest and most powerful, he doesn't have to worry about anyone or anything, and that can really affect his behavior. The Klaus in my head is crazy, wily, almost spontaneous when he's not plotting to break the curse or something. Kind of a more extreme version of Season 1 Damon, who was frightening because you didn't know his agenda or what he was going to do next.

Does anyone else have expectations of Klaus yet?

Lexis67

Lexis67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I guess I already thought of them as two different characters since I read the book. Book Klaus is just psychotic. But I totally agree that the key is making them two different characters. Elijah is calm, intelligent, and dangerous. And while he was ruthless, he wasnít really downright evil all the time. He could still be polite and gentlemanly when he needed to be.

While I expect Klaus to be intelligent as well, I also expect him to be pretty batshit insane. You could reason with Elijah a little, make a deal with him. I expect Klaus to be the type who doesnít make deals because he knows he doesnít have to. He just takes what he wants.

I really do hope they bring Elijah back though. Ever since By the Light Of the Moon Iíve been dying to see the Klaus/Elijah relationship explored. Iíd be seriously disappointed is they just swept that under the rug and never brought it up again.

RuthW76

RuthW76

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

While I expect Klaus to be intelligent as well, I also expect him to be pretty batshit insane. You could reason with Elijah a little, make a deal with him. I expect Klaus to be the type who doesnít make deals because he knows he doesnít have to. He just takes what he wants.

I really do hope they bring Elijah back though. Ever since By the Light Of the Moon Iíve been dying to see the Klaus/Elijah relationship explored. Iíd be seriously disappointed is they just swept that under the rug and never brought it up again.

WORD.
I assumed that Klaus would be portrayed as visibly unstable when Elijah told Elena how "paranoid" Klaus had become over the years. As you said, they need to show an obvious contrast in between Elijah and Klaus or it will be truly anti-climatic.
Julie Plec said that next season they would be exploring the world of the Originals, particularly the loneliness of immortality - HOPEFULLY that means that Elijah will be back. I can't imagine an Originals story arch without him, Elijah is such a weighty character and really brings an adult sensibility that this show is lacking at times.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

Julie Plec said that next season they would be exploring the world of the Originals, particularly the loneliness of immortality - HOPEFULLY that means that Elijah will be back. I can't imagine an Originals story arch without him, Elijah is such a weighty character and really brings an adult sensibility that this show is lacking at times.

WORD! And I read that piece by Julie Plec, I think it might have even been the same one, and she said that they worked the mythology of the dagger to make it hard to get rid of Elijah. He really is an important figure on the show, but just because of how awesome he is, but he's the only one adult who can really wrangle these kids.

Now Klaus, I could almost imagine him being a loose spirit and the total opposite of Elijah, and I would definitly feel cheated if we can't see the two interact. In fact, I'd even go so far as to hope against hope that we can be introduced to Klaus through an interaction with Elijah. We know how everyone is scared of Elijah and defers to him, and it could be visually powerful seeing him defer to Klaus. Especially if their personalities are as different as we're all thinking they will be.

Xenite

Xenite

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

I'm hoping for a subtle crazy. Like Angelus--sorry, I was watching that other Vampire Drama this weekend. Giving Drusila a heart as a present was genius crazy. Willow's fish on a chain; come on, who does that? The flowers and romance leading to the dead body of Ms. Calendar. And to this very day I wonder where he nailed that poor puppy as refernced in the Watcher Diaries.

If Klaus can torture like that, I'd so love him over Elijah...I mean, I wouldn't love him 'cause that stuff's just crazy. But, you know, he has to do something to make him scarier than Elijah. And stuff like that--the pleasure taken in torture--would scare me.

Edited by Xenite, Apr 4, 2011 @ 12:37 PM.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

I had an insane flash of the Elijah/Klaus relationship as a vampiric version of Dumbledore/Grindewald, where Elijah has to kill his former lover because he's become too evil. Or maybe not "too evil", but so crazy that he's a menace to every other living creature. I'm sorry, but I still think it'd be awesome!

bartered goods

bartered goods

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

It looks like we'll get some inkling, at least, in the April 21st episode, if the episode still that was released yesterday is any indication. Which means I am RIDICULOUSLY looking forward to the ep. And wondering who is relating the flashback: Katherine, or Elijah?

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

I'm hoping it's Elijah! If Kat is still stuck in the apt of witchy blood transfusions, she won't have anyone to tell. All the flashbacks so far were told to either Elena or Stefan, to give them information, and weren't just for the audience's sake.

Joseph Morgan and Matt Davis had a very funny Twitter exchange that I saw tonight.

I think it's safe to change your location now to Alaric Saltzman @_josephmorgan

@ErnestoRiley Touche. Done and done.

I can't wait for some Klaus! They're killing me with the anticipation, we get to have him around, but not physcially yet. It makes him seem scarier and larger than life that he can potentially wreck havoc and not even show up, but by acting through someone.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Not impressed right now, but we will have to see how Joseph Morgan plays Klaus. I was amused at Alaric as Klaus, but hardly frightened. He came off as cartoonish and not in a good way. He might be batshit crazy but hardly a bad ass.

I was hoping he would be more frightening, but right now, I feel like I'm watching a patient in a straight jacket bouncing off the walls.

Lexis67

Lexis67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't care for Davis as Klaus. He played the craziness too hammy, and came of too modern and too much like.. well, Matt Davis.

Though, I do like the way Klaus is looking in the extended preview. Just the right type of crazy, with a ton of arrogance. It sucks though that they chose to introduce Klaus this way, instead of letting the actor that they apparently chose from 100's of other actors play him first.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

I've got to admit I'm somewhat biased on the subject: I don't want Matt Davis to be that good at playing the part because I want Alaric back. However, I would be lying if I didn't admit he was kinda scary as Klaus.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Wow. Modern day Klaus, as played by Joseph Morgan, might have just eclipsd Ian and Daniel Gillies as the hottest male on the show for me. Damn, he is completely fine in all ways. What's the sadistic, diabolical vampire version of Pupping Pop? I can't wait to see some episode stills for next week. I hope he really brings it as modern Klaus. I'm still forming my opinion on flashback Klaus. I admit, I was paying more attention to Elijah at the time.

Lexis67

Lexis67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

I disliked the way the flashbacks were edited, so it's kind of hard for me to really judge his character. Plus the wig they had on Joseph Morgan was seriously distracting for me too. lol

But yeah, Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley don't even register on my hotness scale anymore now that Elijah and Klaus are around. XP

Edited by Lexis67, Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:33 PM.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:39 PM

I disliked the way the flashbacks were edited, so it's kind of hard for me to really judge his character.

I didn't like Klaus as himself, in my opinion, Alaric was the one who brings the badass in the character. Not to mention, Klaus being Elijah's brother is just lame.

Edited by Badrobot92, Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:40 PM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

Klaus being Elijah's brother is just lame.

Really? I thought Elijah and Klaus being brothers was an interesting twist. I have speculated about this, but I can't even imagine why they dislike each other.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 12:31 AM

I didn't like Klaus as himself, in my opinion, Alaric was the one who brings the badass in the character. Not to mention, Klaus being Elijah's brother is just lame.

Really? I thought Elijah and Klaus being brothers was an interesting twist. I have speculated about this, but I can't even imagine why they dislike each other.

Most likely a woman who looks just like Katherine/Elena, in my opinion, there's nothing original about this.

bartered goods

bartered goods

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

Most likely a woman who looks just like Katherine/Elena, in my opinion, there's nothing original about this.

I don't think it's going to be as simple as all that. The way it's spinning for me, it's more about Klaus's utter disregard for life and love, as represented by Katerina, than it is about Katerina (or any other Petrova) herself. Klaus, in addition to wanting to sire a master race, has an utter disdain for life. He sees love as a vampire's greatest weakness and chastises Elijah for caring, Saying -- demanding -- that they are not weak, and they Do. Not. Care. The way Elijah responded, "We did once," so wistful and yearning, just SLAYED me, you guys.

So, I'm choosing to view Elijah losing his love for his brother and agreeing he needs to be killed as being more connected to Klaus's vision of who they should be and how the world should be than any gross over-simplification that they were fighting over a woman. Since Klaus clearly has no use for that sort of affection anyway.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

I don't think it's going to be as simple as all that. ...

I'm afraid it is: the show has already established that, whenever there're two brothers and a Petrova doppleganger, a love triangle is the only result possible. In my opinion, that's exactly what makes this so lame.

Edited by Badrobot92, Apr 22, 2011 @ 9:53 AM.

Ace Reject

Ace Reject

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 4:44 AM

Not feeling Klaus at all, especially after the epic performance from Alaric. Also, I think he may be having relations with Greta. The way Klaus looked at her threw me off.

With that being said, I was overjoyed with his treatment of Katherina in the past and present.

bartered goods

bartered goods

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

Another Morgan interview. I guess he's getting around.

SpareMeK

SpareMeK

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

I think he did a much better job with Klaus tonight. I liked the little smirks he gave and his need to make Katherine pay. I think he will really do a great job with Klaus. I wasn't so sure before, granted with was just the flashbacks I went on. Present day Klaus, I like. Joseph works well playing off of Ian. I imagine how great he'd do with Daniel as well (in the present day).

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

I think he did a much better job with Klaus tonight.

I agree 100%. Last week in the flashbacks and when he was inhabiting Alaric, I thought he came off as a bit of a caricature (fun to watch, but hardly a badass), but tonight he did subtly menacing very well. I can't wait to see him in some scenes with Elijah.

Lexis67

Lexis67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Agree. He was a lot more of a calm menace this episode. But he still maintained the creep factor for me. Him smiling as Katherine was burning herself? Creepy as fuck.

I think it's really up to the writers now. I think Klaus could be a really fleshed out villain, or he could be really one-dimensional. But for now I'm liking him a lot, and I'm super excited for his scenes with Elijah next week. I already thought Joseph and Daniel had great chemistry in the flashback scene so I'm really looking forward to seeing their dynamic in present day.

confuzzled21

confuzzled21

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 3:13 AM

While I'm not in awe of him yet like I am with Elijah, he did really well this episode. He was really creepy when he told Katherine to stand in the sunlight without her bracelet while he sat there about to take a sip of coffee. Hopefully he brings it every episode.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

Klaus is starting to grow on me. I wasn't sure I was going to be impressed because Elijah is obviously a hard act to follow, but he is holding his own. He can pull off the subtle menace and elegance just as well as Elijah does.

I would hardly call Elijah an Easter Bunny next to Klaus, but certainly they are a comparable threat.

I really hope they sign these two up for next season, and bring on the siblings too!