S11: Meat Loaf

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 7:14 PM

What, no Meat Loaf thread yet?

I was never particularly fond of this fellow before--his most famous songs "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and "Two out of Three Ain't Bad" always struck me as kind of misogynist--but he really won me over on the "Child's Play" episode. He's a bit like Bret Michaels, the crazy rockstar with a heart of gold. I was so touched by his weeping over the chronically ill children his charity helps.

Someone commented on the episode thread that Trump hates weepers, especially if they are male. I hope this doesn't mean ML is headed for an early exit.

vildachaia

vildachaia

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

As I said in the episode thread, I just don't see Trump going two rockers in a row. And since he often decides on very odd whims...

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

He doesn't seem like a rocker but more like a cuddly teddy bear. I never knew he was such a sweet man.

LeBarron

LeBarron

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 3:12 PM

Teddy bear is the perfect description, TheLady2.

I didn't know much about Meat Loaf beyond "I Would Do Anything For Love" and the Dr. Pepper and Go Phone commercials, but so far, he's been very endearing. He really seemed touched about winning the task for his charity. I hope he at least out lasts most of the tools on this show.

merlinmerry

merlinmerry

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:37 PM

This is the first season that I'ver ever watched The Apprentice and I'm only watching because I have always loved Meat Loaf. I finally got to see him in concert a number of years ago and it was amazing. (I was deaf for a week afterwards - best concert ever!)

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 5:45 AM

I always thought his music was a little Spinal Tappish, but liked him because he was so into it. I went to one of his concerts years ago and his fans were so sweet. They sang along to every single song, word for word and were having a blast. I think he's kind of goofy but a good man who loves what he does and is very emotional.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

I can't wait to see what makes him go supernova on Gary Busey next week. Just judging from the previews, it looks as though this is going to be the ugliest meltdown in reality-show history.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

On The View Donald Trump said he did not like Meatloaf crying.

I'm bringing this over from the NeNe thread. I didn't see the View. Did Trump elaborate on why he didn't like Meatloaf crying, or did he just state he didn't like it and leave it at that. 'Cause that would piss me off if Trump holds this against him. Meatloaf was crying because he was happy and also the charity he's playing for obviously is very close to his heart. (NeNe crying- well, I think she was figuring out from Trump's language that the Women had lost so she was crying because she could see the writing on the wall)

A lot of folks have been talking about growing up listening to Dionne Warwick's music and her presence on the show has altered their views (not for everyone who was a Dionne fan, but some) But I grew up listening to Meatloaf. I also have loved him in his acting gigs, esp. Fight Club, the Pick of Destiny, RHPS (natch) and this one obscure little movie called Scavenger Hunt which not a lot of people saw- but I LOVED it as a kid. He had a very small but very memorable role in that. His music- yeah, it's always been over the top but he himself had such a larger than life presence it worked.

So far on the show, it's just made me love him all the more. He's been very sweet and giving to his teammates, mostly on point in the competition (with the exception of not realizing there was a TV on the outside of the RV and also sending Jose and Gary to the wrong place) So, my FanGirl Self is happy.

But now comes the Meatloaf Meltdown on the horizon. OY, here's hoping whatever is going on there does not diminish or kill the love. Meatloaf- Please don't pull a Dionne! You can do anything for love... but just don't do that!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

But now comes the Meatloaf Meltdown on the horizon. OY, here's hoping whatever is going on there does not diminish or kill the love. Meatloaf- Please don't pull a Dionne! You can do anything for love... but just don't do that!

Well, Gary Busey is a bit hard for anyone to take.

I wonder if there's an assist by Jose Canseco. He's kind of a pig, so that would explain The Loaf losing his cool too.

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 5:49 AM

I wonder if there's an assist by Jose Canseco. He's kind of a pig, so that would explain The Loaf losing his cool too.

Wouldn't that involve Jose actually getting off the couch? Maybe he sends in his twin

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

Wouldn't that involve Jose actually getting off the couch? Maybe he sends in his twin

I wonder if Twinseco even quietly subbed for Jose in a baseball game?

Anyway, back to Loaf. I'm betting the promo has totally hyped this up and its like a five second blowup in total, followed by lots of Meaty Tears and follow-up contrition.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 7:16 AM

Well, Gary Busey is a bit hard for anyone to take.

He would test anyone's patience. Poor Loaf just couldn't take it anymore. He did apologize later and admitted he had some "anger issues."

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Ok, the meltdown didn't kill the love exactly... just made me realize if I were ever trapped on a deserted island- Meatloaf is not the rocker I'd wish to have with me... (Ted Nugent maybe- he has hunting skillz!)

But in all seriousness, ok, what was going on with the Loaf was a little more than Gary being a pain. That meltdown was too extreme and the issue too minor. Not only did Gary NOT take the paints- so what if he did? It was a team effort, why couldn't they share their supplies like nice little kindergarteners? So for the Loaf to blow up that big and bad over such a little thing- I'm thinking there's gotta be some kind of chemical imbalance at play.

The Trump had the celebs jump straight from one task to the next so I'm thinking Loaf was working on too little sleep, too much stress and probably had not properly taken care of whatever's going on with him. Even last season, Bret sometimes forgot to check his insulin due to the pressure. I'm thinking there may have been meds Meatloaf needed to be taking which he either didn't take or didn't take at the right time. This is a lot of presumption on my part I'll admit, but dude, serious if you ain't on chill pills you probably need to be.

I think Gary has been wearing down everyone's nerves and Meatloaf probably was ready and waiting for a chance to vent- but that was not the time, place or... well there was nothing warrented or appropriate about what he did. He did apologize for it and felt adequately embarrassed. But you know- it was disruptive. I don't think it's what cost the men the win, but it didn't help. It put everyone on edge and got the focus off the task. If Trump had fired him over it- there could be no real arguement. Not that Trump would- heck, he was the one goading Jose to beat the crap out of Richard in the first episode. Trump probably squeed when he saw the footage.

lanhub

lanhub

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

I was really impressed by how Gary was able to keep his cool while Meatloaf was screaming at him, ready to tear him to shreds. Although, I don't blame Loaf for taking all of his frustrations out on Gary especially after he had asked him if he was going to be buying his stuff at Michaels.

I still think Meatloaf has a heart of gold because his tearful apology seemed really heartfelt. He seems like a cool guy, but yeah...I wouldn't want to be stranded on a deserted island with him either, LOL!

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:25 PM

I still think Meatloaf has a heart of gold because his tearful apology seemed really heartfelt. He seems like a cool guy, but yeah...I wouldn't want to be stranded on a deserted island with him either, LOL!

I thought Meatloaf's apology was crap and I think less of him because of it than I do the initial outburst. They're in a stressful situation and I can understand how Gary can get under someone's skin. But a day later after it was clear that Gary had not taken Meat's art supplies to be all "Whether you did something or not..." was bull. Meatloaf was wrong about blaming Gary, he was wrong about how he handled it and he was wrong in how he apologized. Gary however was rather special in being forgiving, not holding a grudge, not jugding. There are lots of reasons to not want to work with Gary, but I think he's a "team player" even if he lacks the skills and focus to really be useful.

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 5:47 AM

One thing that bugs me is Gary did not ask if Meatloaf was going to buy his stuff, he asked if Loaf was getting canvases for everyone. Those are two very different things. Loaf made Gary sound like this lazy, spoiled guy who expected others to do things for him when actually Gary thought that people had divvied up tasks. It was a simple question, no reason to get all freaked about it.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

Mr. Loaf still has a pretty good voice as seen in this comedy bit on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. He's still under the NBC umbrella.
http://www.huffingto...s_n_854374.html

Starstruck

Starstruck

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

One thing that bugs me is Gary did not ask if Meatloaf was going to buy his stuff, he asked if Loaf was getting canvases for everyone. Those are two very different things. Loaf made Gary sound like this lazy, spoiled guy who expected others to do things for him when actually Gary thought that people had divvied up tasks. It was a simple question, no reason to get all freaked about it.

I know...Me too...It seemed to me Gary was asking if he was buying all the canvasses to make sure they weren't divvying up the purchasing task. It seemed to me maybe he thought he was supposed to get all the paint or brushes or whatever, not that he thought Meat was supposed to pay for everything. Meat just jumped to that conclusion because he was all ready annoyed with Gary and was in my opinion looking for more evidence to convict him.