The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18056 replies to this topic

troubleinmind

troubleinmind

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

I don't really know what Stevie Jo was doing and I tried to like him, but, really didn't. Something about his face reminds me of PeeWee Herman, but, had he sung well, that wouldn't have mattered to me a bit. He was making weird faces and trying so so hard. It was just too much effort or like Blake said, he was "chasing rabbits" the whole time. 

I was impressed with TJ and thought he sounded smooth on that Stevie song. Usher did a good job coaching TJ. He's someone my ears can relax and listen to instead of bracing for the yells like with Bria and Christina G. So glad Usher chose him.

Melissa just didn't have it tonight and the melisma was awful. Did Usher really coach her with all those runs. It was painful.

Bria, the less said, the better for me. I'll be wearing out the mute button.

Josh, I agree, is on another level and the opposite of a lot of the posers this season. Good song choices could get him very far. I hope so.

I think Team Blake is very solid. I'm rooting for Audra and Jake. I also am rooting for Josh, maybe TJ, some of Shakira's team if they can really stand out and be different from everyone who is already out there, and possibly Delvin.  I like Sisaundra if she doesn't oversing.

I still think Morgan would have been an interesting pick with his mix of rock and country. All he really needed was some good coaching; the voice is there.

Edited by troubleinmind, Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:31 PM.

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:27 PM

I think Usher made the right choices tonight. Josh K definitely killed it tonight. Overall my favorite is Jake on Blake's team. Just so adorable followed by Josh K and Kristin. No one on Adams team really jumps out for me

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:50 PM

Bria, the less said, the better for me. I'll be wearing out the mute button.

I couldn't even wait for the mute button tonight.  About 30 seconds into that execrable performance of 'Wild Horses' I grabbed for the remote. It slipped off the coffee table, and I got up and left the room because that got me away from her "singing"  faster than hunting under the couch for the remote. I'm rooting for Josh who did a great job on a difficult song.

canivox

canivox

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:09 PM

So, I finally semi-caught up on most of the performances – have found myself watching the first 30 seconds, being bored and fast-forwarding though, never mind watching the rest of the show.  Voice/coaches’ banter fatigue? Or has the quality of the contestants dropped? And two Battle Rounds - yawn. The knockouts were better. I’d rather hear the contestants sink or swim on their own song choices – at least we see who they are/want to be that way.

Other than Sissaundra and Josh who are total pros (though neither is especially to my taste – I think they both over-embellish), the only contestant who has really surprised/impressed me is Kristen and that may well be because we’ve only seen her blind and one performance. TPTB REALLY have it in for her – montaged battles and first up last night??? I realise she isn’t especially ‘marketable’, but neither are many of the other contestants whose performances have been shown.

TJ not butchering any song off ‘Rags to Rufus’ would’ve got my vote just because I love that album. He was good - good enough for me to watch his performance all the way through – but not great. I think he’ll be gone next week unless he gets the perfect song. I’m not sure why Usher is putting his money on Bria – totally agree with others upthread that she seems to be very one-note. I thought Stevie Jo had a lot of potential, but chose poorly with ‘The Thrill is Gone’ - Josh would’ve done a MUCH better job with that song. Melissa was pretty terrible too. Surprised to find myself liking Shakira’s team the most at this point.

Lolita Swann

Lolita Swann

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:13 PM

Now all 3 guys' teams are: 4-chair, 4-chair, and 3-chair turn. Shakira's is 2-chair, 1-chair, and 1-chair.

Final-slot placements so far:
Bria Auditions (M), Battles (M), Battles II (M) [Usher]
Josh Auditions (M), Battle II loss (M), Playoffs (T) [Usher]
Sisaundra Auditions (M), Playoffs (T) [Blake]
Christina Playoffs (M) [Adam]
Delvin Battle II (M) [Adam]
Audra Auditions (T) [Blake]
Tess Battle loss (T) [Shakira]
Producers seem to want Usher to win, and have zero confidence in Shakira.

My personal pick right now is Audra.

troubleinmind

troubleinmind

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:21 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, what was up with Bria and the guitar. Nice prop! She never touched it.

ReubenTubbs

ReubenTubbs

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 02:32 AM

Tj earned it.

I'm really hot and cold on T.J. because I really don't think he beat Biff and then Cierra, two far better singers, IMO, in the battles the way Usher claims that he did.  But he did rock it tonight, I'll admit.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 AM

If it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm disappointed in Melissa! She's the only one I was at all invested in and she prematurely changed up her persona of hot, stylized all-around singer to be the demure vocalist Usher didn't sign up for. You strip down your act when people are tired of seeing what you normally do--when your act is established, not when you're prelim-auditioning! 

I will use this extra post as a chance to say, wow Carson Daly sucks.  Or maybe it's just the writing. This is my first season of this show and I have NO IDEA what is going to happen next. I get the vague impression it goes to voters. 

Not Carson's doing. The producers decided to change the format this season to the point where I've been confused, as well. This season feels a bit thrown together and the talent reflects this. I was also hoping to still see Chris Martin in the coaching packages.

Edited by anonymiss, Yesterday, 03:44 AM.

pivot

pivot

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 04:08 AM

I was more embarassed that Melissa said Usher was her friend right before he made his final decision. That was crazy talk right there. 

Interesting that Bria and Josh aren't doing as well as Christina, Kat, Dani and Tess from last night so far. I thought they'd be flying up the charts considering they are considered favorites.

I think the producers had to be shocked at how good Team Shakira was. Usher was considered to have the strongest team going into the playoffs and I'd say 3 of them didn't deliver (Melissa, Stevie Jo and Bria). TJ and Josh both had their best performances so far. I am curious if Usher switches horses now and starts backing Josh instead of Bria because he's outselling her slightly on iTunes and he has improved over the show while Bria hasn't.

Edited by pivot, Yesterday, 04:12 AM.

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 AM

Don't say Josh reminds you of Will please. I love Josh and couldn't stand Will. Will seemed too aware of performing to me. Josh just lost himself in the song.

Well, isn't it sad that I had to google "Will the voice" to figure out who you're refering to, and he was Top 3 last season! Oh how quickly they became non-entity. Josh is more refined than Will in almost every way, but during Josh's blind audition, all I could think of was BamBam (Cody) ultra silky swag performance of the same song. ;)

I don't get what Usher was trying to get at with the whole "gospel it up" thing for the .... chorus, was it? I kept waiting for background singers in robes to show up on stage and glad that didn't happen.

keke23

keke23

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 07:23 AM

I was so bored by Team Ursh last night that I fell asleep.  Is it even worth trying to re-watch?

Even though Shakira doesn't have a lot of 4 chair turners, I think she still has a shot. With a lot of the 4 chair turners this season I was scratching my head anyway.  I really don't think anyone so far has shown that they are so great that they will run away with the competition.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 AM

I hate Josh. He reminds me of Will, who I also hate, so maybe that's clouding my judgement. However, his son and daughter are fucking adorable and for them alone I am OK with him continuing.

I like Shakira's team, Jake, and Bria. I literally can not even remember who is on Adam's team, so I guess I don't like any of them too much.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Yesterday, 08:06 AM.

sparklebunny27

sparklebunny27

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 AM

I don't really know what Stevie Jo was doing and I tried to like him, but, really didn't. Something about his face reminds me of PeeWee Herman, but, had he sung well, that wouldn't have mattered to me a bit.

I don't see Pee Wee Herman at all, but a young Mike Meyers. He could sing, but I just kept picturing him in a ball cap saying, "Party on, Garth." I think a lot of the song choices have been weird the past couple nights, and they're really not making clear who is choosing them or why.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 AM

I was more embarassed that Melissa said Usher was her friend right before he made his final decision. That was crazy talk right there.

Maybe this is unfair of me, but I thought when Melissa did her little speech to Usher about how he had brought her on stage that one time she attended his concert back in whenever-it-was, that she had been holding on to some major fantasies about him since then.  It made me feel a little bad for her, and I thought it also made him a little uncomfortable. After she said it, I thought she would definitely be cut unless she did something drop dead amazing on stage, and she didn't.

All the time Stevie Joe was singing "The Thrill Is Gone," I was hearing BB King's voice echoing in the background. And even as an imaginary echo, he made SJ's rendition sound lame. As my southron granny would have said, Stevie Joe sounded like he'd been sent for and couldn't go.

sparklebunny27

sparklebunny27

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Maybe this is unfair of me, but I thought when Melissa did her little speech to Usher about how he had brought her on stage that one time she attended his concert back in whenever-it-was, that she had been holding on to some major fantasies about him since then.

I know, when she said they shared "a moment"...he had that same moment with whoever he pulled up from the crowd in every city he performed in on that tour. She seemed really young when she said that, and I thought she should have been old enough to know better. Did she expect him to say, "I finally found you!" or something?

buckybruce

buckybruce

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 PM

As my southron granny would have said, Stevie Joe sounded like he'd been sent for and couldn't go.

My Northern Granny would have said "Stevie Joe's been rode hard and put away wet"!

As far as MJ and Usher, I don't think he'll be taking her calls after this little revelation. Although, someone else pointed out on this forum, he did check her out pretty blatently during her blind audition....she seemed to be to his taste.

As far as Stevie Joe's song choice, I don't get it....BB King's "The Thrill is Gone" is more of an instrumental, with the vocal calling back and forth with the guitar licks...so...if you don't play guitar, what's the point?

Although I picked Tessanne right from her blind audition last season, I did not fare well with Emily B...she only made it to the 2nd battle round, and was montaged on top of it. I wish I could have seen/heard it...she really must have folded like a cheap suit. Maybe her whole "I survived a health scare" and perhaps being too forthwright about her faith in God might have put some people off. Just spitballing....

Blake has the best team so far, IMO, followed by Shakira, then Adam, then Usher. I cannot stand Christina Grimmie. I agree Sissandra needs to dial it back a bit...sometimes less is more....Jake the country boy was too shy, and now seems to be trying too hard...did he nearly say the "F" word a couple of times?....but I do like him, and his straight back country voice. Josh...will go far after The Voice, even if he doesn't win. Delvin & TJ are also rans....Tess is a nice surprise.

If this was a horse race, I'd "wheel the field" with Sissandra on top (to win), and then reverse it...which means I don't have a clue what I'm talking about...:)

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, what was up with Bria and the guitar. Nice prop! She never touched it.

This distracted me so much I barely paid attention to Bria's performance. Why did they even bother making her haul a guitar around when it just hung around her neck? I am liking Bria less and less the more I see her perform and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I remain unimpressed by Christina Grimmie and am still not seeing what the big deal is about her, other than she has an assload of YouTube followers.

I really like Josh. I still like Kristen a lot, especially now TPTB can't montage her any longer. Dani is a stronger singer than I previously gave her credit for. Poor Melissa, that was just embarrassing.

Shakira's team is stronger and Adam's team is weaker than I originally thought.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

This distracted me so much I barely paid attention to Bria's performance. Why did they even bother making her haul a guitar around when it just hung around her neck?

I think she said something about feeling more comfortable with it, so there was probably some issue with her playing it, but she got to carry it as something of a security blanket.

treebyleaf

treebyleaf

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Bria's mannerisms remind me of an acquaintance in her mid-20s who is very conventionally beautiful and has always been made much of because of her looks. Because she always gets so much attention and praise for what she looks like, she means well but hasn't developed the social skills that her more average-looking peers did. So she can come off as fake even though she's very well-intentioned because she doesn't receive the same feedback that others do. I don't fault Bria for the lack of depth I've heard but I think she needs a little more life experience to be a compelling performer -- she's basically a child performer doing an impression of an adult artist.

blackbird325

blackbird325

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

I thought she really sold "steamroller" when she performed it. "Wild Horses" though, it seemed as if she was trying to show what she could do with her voice instead of really delving into the song. I will say, the songs were edited (cut) so we only got her singing part of the first verse and the end, whereas I think with more verses it would have felt different. (I think the same goes for Melissa, who we saw her singing the runs in the chorus which just seemed weird..and Stevie Jo..who pretty much got one line..) Still love her voice, and I expect Usher will help her out a lot now that he can focus more on her and they are in lives. 

Bria's mannerisms though, I think she's just naturally like that on stage. It doesn't seem choreographed like Christina. I do think Usher should let her play an acoustic performance. She can do that well, and it'll show a different side to her. 

I wonder if..um..Melissa got brought on stage for the whole "trading places" performance. And if she did..I could see why she thought they shared a moment. 

Edited by blackbird325, Yesterday, 06:21 PM.

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Melissa made me sad with how much she was trying to connect with Usher. She is a beautiful talented young woman but she came off as desperate.

Viajero

Viajero

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 01:31 AM

I finally caught up with this week's episodes and was pleasantly surprised to find that I generally agree with all of the coach's picks.  First time that's ever happened for me in the playoffs.

I thought Monday night was great.  All but 3 of the performances were very good and even those (Deja, Wallen and Jake B) weren't bad. Shakira's team in particular surprised me.  I don't know if it was her coaching, but all 5 of her performers noticeably improved.  Some good song choices probably helped.

On the other hand, Tuesday night was a bit of a disappointment.  I had rated Usher's team as the strongest coming in, but it didn't play out that way.  It wasn't that any of them were really off, but none of them made me sit up and take notice.  I guess I liked Josh and Bria the best, but I couldn't say that either one stood out compared to what we saw from the other teams.

My overall favorite performances of the week were from Kat, Tess, Christina, Josh, and Dani, to which I would add to Audra and Sisaundra from Team Blake to make a very solid Top 7.   But the rest of the Top 12 were all pretty good as well.  If I had to rate the weakest performances from among them, I guess I would go with Jake W. and T.J.  Jake wasn't up to the level of previous rounds, while I just didn't like some of T.J.'s vocal tricks.

This just might be the most evenly matched Top 12 we've ever seen on this show.  It really is wide open at this point and I still don't have any clear cut favorites.

lilyvalley

lilyvalley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 06:55 AM

Kristin is going to be one of the first out..and it's not really her fault..but it is what it is. Can't get montaged to the amount that she did and expect to make it far. 

I hope not.  She's solidly middle of the pack for me.  I'd be fine with only one country singer left standing, though, and for me that is Jake W.

I guess that sums up my issue with Sisaundra. It's all about herself and her vocal acrobatics and zilch about the actual song and the meaning of the lyrics. She's a songwriter's nightmare. They want singers who sing their music, not take it over and twist it into something unrecognizable and exhausting.

Got to agree with MommaJ here.  There's no denying the vocal ability, but I'm just not a fan of these Celine Dion backup singers.  And, while I think the humble pie act is better than the alternative, it does feel artificial.

I think there's only room for one Delvin or TJ.  I like Delvin's voice, but he throws too much into the songs.  It's the classic 10 lbs of ... garbage ... in a 5 lb. bag.  I guess I prefer TJ overall, but I don't see him winning.

Between Kat and Bria, Kat is better.  Neither one of them is likely to be my favorite, but I appreciate having some classic rock on the show.

Audra, Christina, and Tess are all replaceable.  I won't remember any of them in a few years.  However, they still might do very well - I just probably won't understand the voters in that case.

I guess that leaves me with a personal final 3 of Josh K., Kat, and Jake W., with a dark horse of Dani.  (It's nice that there's one from each team.)  Of the also-rans, I thought Morgan had the most potential.  Biff's energy was infectious - I had more fun watching him perform than anyone who is left, except maybe Kristin.

Edited by lilyvalley, Today, 07:06 AM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:11 PM

Biff is one of the one's I miss most this season (there are always a few every season...still miss Jamie Lomo...the ones that got away.). But I love that it's so evenly matched from team to team, really no "ringer" that seems destined for F2. Can't remember that happening before.

This is the order I like their vocals for Top 6 (not necessarily same as stage presence. It's funny how the better looking/more charismatic ones, who are all in the "bottom 6" imo, just aren't as good singers. But...all are good, which is always refreshing with this show.)

Top Tier:

Jake W.

Josh K.

Sisaundra

Delvin

Kat 

Kristen

Next tier:

TJ

Dani.  

Audra

Bria

Christina

Tess

nbapip

nbapip

Just Tuned In

Posted Today, 03:03 PM

I know everyone's playing down Christina's online fanbase, and I agree that it probably didn't make the difference for e.g. Cassadee, but I really think they've pretty much guaranteed her a place in the final unless she truly messes up.

It's not just the numbers behind her, but the currency and nature of the fanbase. I think there's a very specific sort of youtube fan who sticks behind their favorite youtubers no matter what, and will buy anything they release and do anything they can on social media/whatever to support them.

I see Christina being the biggest seller the majority of weeks and if the twitter save is still going I don't see her ever losing one of those

blackbird325

blackbird325

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 03:22 PM

Not to mention the twitter save. If she's in the bottom 3, she's not going home.

Viajero

Viajero

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 06:43 PM

But I love that it's so evenly matched from team to team, really no "ringer" that seems destined for F2. Can't remember that happening before.

I completely agree.  I’d go further and say this just may have been the overall best Playoff Round in 6 seasons of this show.  Perhaps it’s a sign of just how competitive this season is that you include most of my favorite performances from the Playoff round in your bottom tier.

Now that I’ve had a chance to re-watch most of the Playoff performances on Youtube (with headphones to get better sound quality), this is my ranking of my top 6 for that particular round:

1. Tess
  2. Kat
  3. Dani
  4. Josh
  5. Christina
  6. Delvin

What Tess did with Human really was pretty incredible.  I appreciate it more each time I watch it.  I’m not exaggerating when I say I think I actually prefer her version to Christina Perri’s live versions that are up on You Tube.  I’ve also grown to appreciate more what Dani did with The Edge of Glory.

Sisaundra was the opposite.  She may be the most vocally accomplished of the group and I was blown away by her vocal pyrotechnics when I watched this live.  But on second viewing I think she started over-singing again about halfway through the song and took it somewhere that song isn’t meant to go (if that makes sense?).  Josh also over-sang a bit, but it didn’t bother me quite as much.

The above Top 6 is just for this past round and not my overall ranking.  For instance, I can’t help but continue to root for Kristen and Bria in particular and hope they also stick around for a while.

The other thing that strikes me about our Top 12 is that we ended up with a fairly good distribution of genres, with R&B/Soul, Country, Pop, and Rock all well represented.  This is my overall ranking of the contestants (beyond just this last round) within each genre:

R&B/Soul: Josh, Delvin, Sisaundra, T.J.

Pop: Christina, Tess, Dani

Rock: Kat, Bria

As for whom may actually make the final? I suspect it will be (as it usually is) between the R&B and Country singers.  Female pop singers rarely do well in the live rounds on this show unless they have the ability to cross-over into one of those two genres.  But maybe Christina with all her YouTube subscribers can break that trend.

At this point, the only one I wouldn’t mind going home next week is T.J.  For the rest, I guess it comes down to who performs the worst.