The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18049 replies to this topic

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

I had to fast forward through Cole and Ray's performances. I was just bored. If either manages to win this I just don't see a whole lot of excitement developing for either

Matthew definitely had a rough night.

Will and Tessanne were the most surprising, in a good way. I was happy Tessanne and Adam took on what Christina said and showed a different, more fun side to her. 

Jacquie and James did well but it was more expected stuff from them. James taking on "More Than a Feeling" and Queen leaves me puzzled. I just think he has fallen on the "nice try, not quite there" bucket with those songs, when he could be picking better songs that allow him to shine. Jacquie's morphed into Lil' Xtina. 

Caroline's performance was just OK. Doing Florence requires an amount of drama that she doesn't have, but she did well enough. May not be enough.

Should go: Cole and Ray

Will go: Caroline and Ray.

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

I feel a general depression from Team CeeLo. It wouldn't surprise me if Caroline is also being influenced by his own more negative, pessimistic vibe this season.

I agree with this too... he's definitely in a dour mood, except when his "Sweet Caroline" performs, then he lights up like Cee Lo of old... Like she's the only good thing left for him (in life even not just the show). He has her on such a pedestal he believes she can make angels voices out of anything no matter if it's "right" for her.

Edited by WanderingSnark, Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:54 PM.

Mariposa2

Mariposa2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

Really? Even leaving aside the backstage kiss I thought her remarks were pretty positive. I thought she said "well talk more backstage" just because she has a very personal connection to the song so she'd rather talk off camera, not because she was trying to hide negative comments

I thought it was Christina's passive way of letting the world think that she was still playing some kind of important role in Will's progress. Personally, I wish she would stop trying to take credit for every good thing that comes out of Adam's team, particularly since Will was her chosen fodder to face Matthew during the knockouts.  I thought Adam was extremely gracious last night, but honestly I wanted to barf when she made Tessanne's performance entirely about herself. Or maybe Adam has just figured out that feeding Christina's ego is the way to keep her from snarking on his team. I know people keep saying that Adam dislikes Will, but Adam took Will back and picked him over one of his other favorites (Preston). And most of Will's song choices have been decent, so even if he and Adam aren't "besties"  the Will/Adam collaboration is obviously working.  

Something about Will bugs me. He probably reminds me of someone from school. I thought he did a great job on 'At Last', though. As with every other version of the song, I never want to hear it again, but I areciate the difficulty.

LOL. I wonder if Will's personality had something to do with Christina and Adam playing ping-pong with him during the pre-live rounds. Something clearly changed Adam's mind, but I still find Will's personality slightly off-putting (or maybe-he's just difficult to read) He's not the warmest person and I get a bit of a superior vibe from him. At the same time, I really think he's one of the best contestants this season.Sometimes I think that he pours so much of himself into his performances that perhaps he has nothing left afterwards! And after his "At Last" performance, I've fully joined the Will bandwagon...awkwardness and all! It's sort of how I feel about Christina: She tends to annoy me as a judge but it certainly doesn't stop me from loving her as an artist and buying all of her music...    

Edited by Mariposa2, Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:47 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:47 PM

I was glad when Xtina pointed out that Will was looking like Adam last night with the beard/stache, no glasses, all in black. I noticed it even in the dark lighting but it was pretty funny when Adam started giving his critique and the camera went back and forth between them. Nothing wrong with it, but it was funny. (No cloning of their singing, however. It took guts for Adam to try to demonstrate a riff from Etta James, but...uh, ... no. Will, on the other hand, did surprisingly well with it. I'm glad he seems in no danger tonight.)

Enjoyed Blake & team with Jay Leno. Those are the kind of experiences that this show does so well for contestants--that "enrichment" experiences that they'd never otherwise have, like performing live with your mentor, or singing in front of a huge crowd last year for Blake's tornado relief event in Oklahoma.

Pack Rat

Pack Rat

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

I'm glad to see that Will seems to be in no danger this week. He's been one of my favorites ever since his blind audition, and it annoyed me that both Adam and Christina seemingly just viewed him as fodder for the battles/knockouts. I thought he won his battle and did just as well as Matthew in the knockouts (and if Christina had been really planning on keeping him, she wouldn't have put him against Matthew in the first place). Of course, Adam then surprised me by saving him in the live playoffs, so I've decided to focus on that and stop being annoyed by his attitude towards Will ... but it's still noticeable that he's much more effusive when he talks about Tessanne and James. (I was pretty baffled by Adam's excitement after what I thought was a very mediocre performance of "Someone to Love". Being good enough to be in Queen? No, just no.) Meanwhile he's always telling Will: "You keep surprising me." Dude, if you keep being surprised by his performances, isn't it about time you adjusted your expectations? But I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as Will keeps moving forward.

I do agree with everyone who thinks that Will comes off as very awkward, but I think he's just very introverted. He interacts with his fans a lot on Twitter (more than the other contestants, at least the ones I follow) and comes across as super nice there, so I guess face-to-face interaction just isn't his strong suit. I actually find that endearing.

I also still love Cole, and I think he's amazingly consistent. If slow and steady wins the race, he might actually be another (surprise?) winner from Team Blake. With Matthew stumbling this week, it's really anyone's game at this point.

LAMusing2

LAMusing2

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

The fact that the audio operator has them turned up to 11 is the problem.

Yes!  The mix has been really bad on a lot of the numbers.

I think Caroline would be "bouncier" and shrug off bottom three (she was, after all, the one saved by fans) if CeeLo was also exuding a more positive, optimistic vibe.

Yes!  His poem to her, while sweet and from the heart, was essentially saying "you're not going to win."  Who wouldn't feel down about that?

BarneySays

BarneySays

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

Perhaps I am coming down with an ear infection or it was my TV, but a lot of those performance seemed off pitch for huge chunks.  And I thought the tongue baths from the coaches seemed way over the top.

I thought Tessanne was mediocre through most of that song (with pitch problems).  Frankly, it gave me more respect for Gwen Stefani.  However, she opened up in the last 30 seconds and really redeemed herself- although after the callbacks the ending was a whimper, not a bang.  I agree with Xtina, that we finally saw her, instead of just her range.

The rehearsal clips of James sounded awful, so I was very surprised that he actually pulled it off (although he had pitch problems in the beginning as well).  The attack of the ventriloquist's dummies intro was embarrassingly bad.  But I liked this showman James.  I think this look and approach is where he belongs- I suppose in that Buble et al. genre.  I think James will definitely be safe.

Poor Caroline.  The drowning out by the background vocals really hurt her.  She needed to dispel any doubts that her voice is too twee and the backgrounds took that opportunity away from her.  Like Kat last wek, CeeLo once again delivered an eulogy for his sweet Caroline.  CeeLo, by doing this, you give America your blessing to send her home.  Your instinct may be loving and supportive, but you actually undermine your artists.  I'm beginning to think CeeLo is done with this gig.  I hope Caroline survives, but I am not hopeful.  I think a good path for Caroline's career would be to hook up with a male singer to form a duo.  Another voice in the mix would allow the beautiful parts of her voice to shine.  It's as if her voice is an ornament that needs something to hang on. She has always sounded her best with another singer (the battle round, the Royals duet). 

Matthew crashed and burned this week.  It was pitchy and he could not get control of that song.  He should go home for that performance, as it was the worst of the night hands down, so we'll see how much America likes him.

Jacqui.  She had the most problems with pitch.  She screamed that ending.  There was nothing musical about those sounds.  She started out nicely, but really blew it by the end.  She actually showed more poise and lovely singing in the group performance. 

I simply couldn't get into Cole's performance- and I have liked Cole from the start.  There was something wrong with that entire performance, but I can't put my finger on what it was.  Was it the key in which he sang?  It just was not very good.

Ray.  I caught the beginning and just fast forwarded.  A karaoke song choice that didn't give him much room to play.  Perhaps his work in the group performance will save him, because he sounded really good on that (they all did). 

ETA:  I forgot about Will.  I could see the technical skills and the commitment to the performance, but it didn't do anything for me.  Perhaps I am just worn out on bluesy singers today because there is nothing really for them to do.  I am a huge fan of 60's/70's r&b/soul (including the great Etta James whom I had the good fortune to see live thrice), so it really has to be new in some way to catch my attention.  This was not.  I think the problem with this performance was embedded in Xtina's comment- Will thinks too much.  He never seems to experience the joy of singing; he is more focused on getting it right.  I think he might find success as a producer, but I don't think a singing career is for him.  I found it interesting that we learned last night that Will also went to Berklee.  I wonder why they never mentioned at some point that two members of Team Adam were graduates of Berklee. 

Edited by BarneySays, Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:49 PM.

loveoutloud

loveoutloud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

I do agree with everyone who thinks that Will comes off as very awkward, but I think he's just very introverted. He interacts with his fans a lot on Twitter (more than the other contestants, at least the ones I follow) and comes across as super nice there, so I guess face-to-face interaction just isn't his strong suit. I actually find that endearing.

That is what I love about him. He is just so down to earth and adorably sweet. 

I feel like the general public is starting to "get" him. Adam said it best last night when he said that Will takes this competition very seriously and always wants to do better. He's the dark horse of this season, and he had a moment at the most absolutely perfect time. 

Edited by loveoutloud, Nov 26, 2013 @ 7:17 PM.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

I might be mis-remembering, but I don't remember Christina even being critical of Will's? I know she mentioned how much that song means to her and she could literally talk about it note for note, but she seemed to really enjoy the performance.

universalhunter

universalhunter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

If Christina Aguilera wanted to talk to me in-depth about a performance I did, I would be elated.

I'm just not really understanding why it was taken so badly, or taken as a criticism...the impression I got from it was that she just had way more feedback than time allotted for on the air, so she'd like to give him all of her feedback after the show. I don't see why that would be stepping on Adam's toes or anything. I think she really respects Will.

Edited by universalhunter, Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:34 PM.

Hephaesteus

Hephaesteus

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

Ceelo tried everything he could with Caroline. First live show week, he gave her a song that was similar to everything she's sung, and it was seen as more of the same. Second week, he tried something faster and it didn't work. Third week, he let her pick her own song in hopes she would connect and it was boring. This week, he tried to give her a wtf choice and her embellishment were drowned out by back up vocals. Next week, he needs to just go acoustical and call it a day.

Edited by Hephaesteus, Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:56 PM.

LaraHazel

LaraHazel

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Christina looks STUNNING tonight.  The hair, the makeup, the shirt, I love it all.

I think they had that Unbroken Circle song on an episode of Pretty Little Liars (#creepymentalhospitaltunes).  Matthew and Caroline got the biggest audience woohs in that song.  Interesting that, in the second group song, Cole was in the rocker grouping. 

Didn't know Ellie Goulding was British, or what she even looked like haha.  I think that was one of Carson's best skybox interviews, actually.

I hate that they waited til 9:54 to open the voting. 

So glad that Matthew was saved, but bummed that Caroline went home.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Man, Ceelo's face at the end there said it all.  I feel terrible for him.

I was very happy Matthew was saved, but I'm getting kinda annoyed and bored that all three of  Adam's team are skating through.

Edited by vb68, Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:05 PM.

nextian

nextian

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

Disappointed that both Ray and Caroline went home, I liked them both and they were different from everyone

else.  More then ready for Adam to lose a team member, preferably James, but I find Will quite boring as well.

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Christina looks STUNNING tonight.  The hair, the makeup, the shirt, I love it all.

You got there first, but I was going to say exactly the same thing.  She looked fantastic, and she is making all the right moves in terms of attitude -- at the end she hugged everyone, not just Matthew and last week she gave Cee Lo a hug when Blake and Adam were getting that 'sexiest' nonsense that went on forever.

I figured Matthew had enough goodwill to stay and was glad to see him stay, but if he doesn't bring his 'A' game next week, he'll be toast, just like Caroline was.  The whole week, though Cee Lo and Caroline have been making it sound like she was saying her goodbyes.

James tries to be this hipster nerd, but Will is the one to whom I think the whole nerdy thing comes naturally.  If he were to win, it would really be a triumph of 'the voice' over packaging. MMV 

I'm still hoping Matthew gets back to the top again, but I thought everyone was good last night and he was the weakest, so this is a tough crowd.

Edited by Canadian Bakin, Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:12 PM.

Jsocial

Jsocial

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

Two weeks in a row where the person saved by Twitter the previous week lands in the bottom 3 again and doesn't get saved. Starting to get sick of the save.

So annoyed that James and Will are still here. They both seem like really nice people, but I'm done. I NEED Jacquie and Matthew in the final 3.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

SO happy Matthew was saved. I was nervous for him. Sad about Caroline though. I liked Ray too, but wasn't attached.

I was hoping it would Ray and James leaving, personally.

And yeah Christina was looking hot tonight, and I loved that she hugged them all at the end. I really liked this entire top 8.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

I'm just not really understanding why it was taken so badly, or taken as a criticism...the impression I got from it was that she just had way more feedback than time allotted for on the air, so she'd like to give him all of her feedback after the show. I don't see why that would be stepping on Adam's toes or anything. I think she really respects Will.

That was my impression. They were nearing the end of the show and Carson was probably making hurry up motions when the cameras weren't on him. Christina has a connection with that song. Will said that Christina taught him things when she was coaching him that have helped him with the show.  I think Christina really wants to help the singers, but she doesn't feel she can critique in front of the cameras because when she does people call her names.  Lord knows she seems to take notes all the time and not only for her singers, so she may well have some constructive things to say to Will.  Heck if he wins her saving him in the battles looks good and she can ride the fact that he probably shouldn't have been against Matthew on the knockout rounds. But Christina can still feel like she contributed to a win by Will, if that happens.

troubleinmind

troubleinmind

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

Seems like Caroline was much higher on iTunes and Matthew was at the very bottom. I know that doesn't mean it translates to order, but, there ya go. I still hate the twitter save.

At this point, the only people I truly enjoy are Will and Cole. James and Jacqui can leave any time now.

I'm okay with Matt and Tessanne but much prefer Cole and Will.

Edited by troubleinmind, Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:26 PM.

universalhunter

universalhunter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Are they doing that twitter save for the top 6? If so, Matthew may be in trouble unless he knocks it out of the park, if Kat and Caroline are any indication. I guess he's not actually as popular as everyone thought.

I wasn't really wanting anyone specific to go home tonight. I really liked the entire top 8, so even though I predicted Ray and Caroline going home and am fine with that, I still wanted them to stay. Ray's part of the confessional was really cute.

And I agree, Christina looked amazing. And I'm excited that there'll be original songs this year in the finals!

Heck if he wins her saving him in the battles looks good and she can ride the fact that he probably shouldn't have been against Matthew on the knockout rounds. But Christina can still feel like she contributed to a win by Will, if that happens.

Yep. Christina does have a hand in him still being there...if it hadn't been for her, he would've been eliminated by Adam in the battles and we wouldn't have been able to see the progress he's made. I don't see why Christina shouldn't help him. It seems she can't do anything right in some opinions, but I think being helpful is never a bad thing. Will has 2 coaches on his side, and that's fantastic for him! And it really shows that Christina cares...she wouldn't feel the need to give him feedback off the show if she wasn't invested in his journey. All of the coaches eliminate people in the battles/knockouts- a lot of them might've been mistakes if we'd been able to see them continue. I don't blame her for cutting Will then- she had to cut somebody and probably didn't know the extent of his abilities at the time.

Edited by universalhunter, Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:25 PM.

likeatuesday

likeatuesday

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

So glad that James made it through! I will miss Caroline, though I think she has a wonderful future ahead of her with that voice. Also, a coming-of-age comedy short film starring James Wolpert and featuring his original songs just had its online premiere today: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7GT6vVqpGt8

lilyvalley

lilyvalley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

It looked like James thought he was toast.  I hope he wakes up and stops the classic rock.

I loved Caroline's Anything Could Happen and Royals, and what happened in between was sort of unfortunate  Oh, and thanks for the reminder of her battle duet of the Bieber song, that was good too.  I think the duo idea for her is great.  But, way to have a college admission on the day you get eliminated.  You go, Caroline!  You have a bright future!

I agree that Cee Lo tried to be very supportive of Caroline, but overestimated her abilities.  She took a wrong turn with Jet Plane, and never recovered.  But that was her idea, and you could tell Cee Lo knew it was risky, but supported her through it.

I think Ray can be very proud of himself.  He made it pretty far with tough competition,

Very surprised Matthew ended up in the bottom 3, but I guess someone had to be there.  There goes his free pass.  I think that it was good for him to realize he is vulnerable, as I don't think he's been doing well of late.  But I have confidence that he will bounce back stronger than ever.

And I continue to adore Will.  His being called safe first was terrific.  I think on the performance end, he had a breakthrough last night.  He made eye contact, and had better body language.  Once I said that I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch him live, but I think he gives his best performances live, as opposed to the studio versions.  I listen to his live performances all the time.  Because I'm such a fan, I was selfishly , hoping someone else from Team Adam would go, so that Adam would value Will more highly.  But as someone said, I'm just happy he gets to go on.

LaraHazel

LaraHazel

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Two weeks in a row where the person saved by Twitter the previous week lands in the bottom 3 again and doesn't get saved.

Yeah it makes me really nervous for Matthew.  While I don't like that Carson asks the coaches who they think was saved via twitter I did agree with what Adam said about Hallelujah, I've liked Matthew since his blind audition but the Hallelujah performance gave me chills, I downloaded the song right away and have listened to it many many times since then.   

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

I decided to read some of their twitters and all the contestants seem so close. It makes me sadder. I always find myself getting attached to contestants on this show for some reason. It's like, even my least favorites I still at least enjoy. Like, James is my least favorite but I still like him. I think the Jacquie/Caroline and Jacquie/Matthew relationships are my favorite I've noticed, but Tessanne seems like she has so much love for everyone it's really endearing.

Also, Matthew's tweeting during Will's performance was great. Okay, I'm a dork. Damn this show and these contestants.

Booklord

Booklord

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

I figured that even though Matthew stumbled badly that he had enough support built up from previous weeks to avoid the bottom 3.   What a "How have you sung for me lately" crowd the voice voters are.

That said Matthew is in a much better position than the others who have survived the bottom 3.    We know Matthew has the potential to knock one out of the park.

I am Nomad

I am Nomad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

Glad Matthew was saved. From now on there will be no free pass for him. Sad to see Caroline go, I felt that she did great in Royals and Lego house, especially Lego house. Wish it was her solo.

I think it's a tricky thing with song choice. I remembered Melanie "the show" from Adam and still cringe thinking about it. But when contestants choose their own songs, Caroline tanked her self with Jet Plane, Matthew with It's time and I still could not get over Amber and her firework song choice. 

I still don't get James.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

Well that went exactly how I expected it to go.

I love that Matt was in the bottom 3. A wake up call to the other contestants and judges that song choice means EVERYTHING. From her on out, they have to be extremely careful on what they choose, now is not the time to take risks.

On a side note/personal rant: I was born and raised on Queen. I think their wasn't a day during my childhood from the age of 5 to about 9 that Queen wasn't played in my house. I am so sick of people thinking that just any decent singer can fill Freddie's shoes. Queen isn't Journey, where any halfway decent singer from YouTube can replace the lead singer. Freddie was more then a great singer/songwriter but he just had the inexplicible "it". A charisma that can't be replicated. James Wolpert couldn't handle being frontman for Queen (and I'm not liking Adam Lambert fronting them either). Sorry, Adam Levine's little comment just really bugged. Rant over.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Well, I finally decided just to look at the results on Twitter and not worry about watching all the filler in the results show.  Good job, NBC!  You've found a way to lose this viewer with the Twitter nonsense.

It's odd reading how "Who's Lovin You" was such a mature selection and Jacquie being too young or unseasoned to fully connect and project the emotion when the version referenced was recorded by an 11 year old...

Just had to quote this because I agree and found it really funny.  I've listened to plenty of young singers over the years, especially young female singers.  Never had a problem with them, and I don't have a problem with Jacquie.  It's not like young singers just appeared over the last ten years or so, and it's not just the "Disney channel" style that has produced young singers, so I have no problem looking beyond that stereotype.  Tanya Tucker from the country genre put out "Delta Dawn" at the age of 13, and "Would You Lay with Me (In a Field of Stone)" at 15.  Poly Styrene was putting out her first reggae demo when she was 17, and had the X-Ray Spex up and running on the punk scene at 19.  Siouxsie Sioux was also making a name for herself in her mid-teens on the punk scene, and had the Banshees doing their thing by the time she was 19.  We won't even talk about the males like Frankie Lymon.  I don't see Jacquie having difficulty making connections to the songs, and I don't assume that every teenager is inherently immature or unable to grasp complex emotions. This idea that teenagers are somehow stunted is a really, really recent one. 

LaraHazel

LaraHazel

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I figured that even though Matthew stumbled badly that he had enough support built up from previous weeks to avoid the bottom 3.   What a "How have you sung for me lately" crowd the voice voters are.

I think he has a bunch of supporters but his iTunes ranking was just soo much lower than any one else's.  He was about 30 places above the next highest (Ray, charting in the 50s) and everyone else was below 30.  Maybe he was somewhat close to the 4th and 5th most vote-getters.  It was a big difference to overcome.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

Team Adam still intact. And just think at the beginning of the season people were saying what a terrible coach he was. I guess he's learned from his mistakes from the last two seasons. Either that or he finally has a team that can really deliver his risky song choices without falling flat on their faces. That being said, I am ready to lose a member of Team Adam next week.

Song choice is proving to be key this season. So looking at it that way, I guess it's not that surprising that Matthew was in the bottom. Everyone else had a solid night and Ray was the only fodder left. I expect him to bring it next week. But it goes to show that no one is safe this season. Next week is gonna be a bloodbath. I have no idea who could be going home.