The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18068 replies to this topic

icol

icol

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

It seems like there's always one battle that takes the cake for all the battles that season:

Season 1: Niki/Vicci - "Freakin Perfect"

Season 2: Jesse/Anthony - 'If I Ain't Got You"

Season 3: Amanda/Trevin - "Vision of Love"

Season 4: Sasha/Amber - "Try"

So far, Amber/Timyra's Listen is Season 5's winner though I think we'd get better stuff as the Battles progress.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

I can't believe Briana Cucuo whatever got two steal chairs and Timyra got NONE! What the what?! 

That was my only quibble with the entire night, which was otherwise one of the best battle round nights ever, for me.  Briana is a serious WTF is this chick doing on this show other than she has a famous sister.  

I think my favorite of this first group is Caroline Pennell though.  

What a good night overall, though.  

blackbird325

blackbird325

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

??

Briana's audition was terrible except for that one note, but she absolutely deserved the chair turns tonight. IMO, she was better than Jacqui. 

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

I liked Timyra better than Amber, though both were great. But how did NOBODY steal Timyra? That actually kind of angered me haha.

Overall, great episode. I really like Jacqui. She has a great personality and I really like her voice. I thought Briana Cuoco sounded miles better this round than she did in her audition.

pivot

pivot

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

Overall, I think this is one of the strongest seasons. Probably because there are so few country singers this season to suffer through. Makes me worried that we'll get deluged with them next season though.

I looove Jacquie Lee and was so glad she won her battle. Xtina's battles were both really good although I was surprised she chose Amber over Timyra.

I was surprised she chose Amber because I think Timyra was likely to go further during the live rounds but Amber won that round for me hands down. She gave me goosebumps. I can't believe no one stole Timyra and Blake stole that guy from Adam's team and Briana. Blake actually made his team weaker with his steals. I've never seen that before.

I was baffled by Blake's pairing tonight as they are among the two strongest people on his team. He has a hella weak team this season.

I really wonder if Briana would have been stolen if she wasn't related to a celeb as she was truly nothing special and has serious enunciation issues.

I kind of loved Christina tonight for picking up that guy from Cee-Lo's team. It sure seemed like it was a spur of the moment decision.

I wonder if a coach can steal one of their original contestants back during the knockout rounds. That would be interesting.

Since we only got through 6 battle rounds tonight and likely 3 tomorrow, will the knockout rounds go 3 weeks or will they montage some of the battles again?

Edited by pivot, Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:52 PM.

gik910

gik910

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

Team Adam:

I would have gone with Gray as well- there is a lot she can do.  I do like Nick a lot so I am glad Blake stole him but I don't know that I will enjoy him as much as I enjoyed Cody (who I loved).  

I think Donna and Tessanne were most comfortable on stage (which makes sense) and I love that they did not try to overpower each other but gave one another the space to show off.  Tess was the right choice for the show though.

Team Christina:

(who looked fab btw!  I love the softer make-up they are doing for her this season):

Amber and Timyra were pretty interchangeable for me.  They have good voices  but I felt like they were lacking a bit in the performance dept, so it really could have gone either way.

Brianna & Jacqui.  Meh on the entire thing.  It must have sounded better in studio.  I would have turned for Timyra or Donna before Brianna.

Team Blake:

I only watched Blakes practice sessions because Cher (I would watch her do anything) and I really liked the advice she gave.  She lasered in on some very specific issues.

Justin (who looks like a Justin I know so it is creeping me out) & Shelby sounded great together and I normally don’t like country ballads.  Definitely not surprised Shelby won, but that song was certainly geared to her.

Team CeeLo:

Caroline & Anthony.  I loved this.  It was just perfectly CeeLo- there was drama happening and it was so subtle and really let the voices do their job.  Caroline may be my favorite so far and I am very happy that Christina stole Anthony.  I’m glad CeeLo admitted it was a mistake to pair them (they all do this more than I am ok with)

Finally,  thank the Lord for DVR & the FF button.

Edited by gik910, Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:08 PM.

NightOwl89

NightOwl89

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

According to TV Guide, Knockouts start October 28th. I assume that means there will be 6 battle rounds each night, with the hour long episodes having 3 montaged battles. Which is stupid.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I'm bored.   I feel I have seen this all before - multiple times.  I am seriously considering opting out until voting time. 

And I STILL like Usher and Shakira better than  - Adam and Blake.  Blake has made this his life's work!

Yawn. 

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

Also, single parents must be the selection criteria for the producers this season (outside of 15/16 year olds). I don't even remember any non single parent who made it, or even got picked to sing in Blinds.

I think it is a function of changing social norms. It is becoming as hard to find a parent married to her only partner at least 10 months before a wedding as it is to find a young person without tattoos. 

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

And I STILL like Usher and Shakira better than  - Adam and Blake.  Blake has made this his life's work!

And I don't blame Blake one little bit.  He makes a boatload of money for not that many weeks of work and can schedule tours and making albums around the show. It's a good gig.  However, I do agree with you, I like Usher and Shakira better than Adam and Blake and I would love for Adam and Blake to take a season off and have them bring someone else on.  Cher would probably make a great judge although they might not think she's with it enough.

BarneySays

BarneySays

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

I feel like I should have enjoyed those battle rounds more than I actually did.  They certainly kept telling me how spectacular they all were.  But, for the most part, I was left cold.  Granted there were no obvious train wrecks, but there were few shining moments.

I had been a strong proponent of Xtina as a coach because of her sheer talent.  However, tonight she demonstrated that she is a dinosaur that hasn't recognized that extinction has come:  power balladeering is dead; BB King vocals are old-fashioned (no disrespect to that great artist).  I thought both of her battles were terrible and dated.  How of the Rising Sun- really?  Sheeran seemed completed tuned out by the tiredness of that song selection and I was right there with him.  I thought all of her contestants sounded like tired American Idol rejects.  All screaming and screeching.  There was no subtlety, no beauty to any of the performances.  The only one who was passable was Amber because she had control of the song and a nice tone.  The others were all overworked (not that Amber wasn't as well).  I would have chosen Jacqui as well, just because she is young and cute and appears to have great potential.  Based upon tonight's performances, I don't think Xtina has any ability to groom a winner of this competition.  She needs to enter the 21st century before she can attain that goal.  I predict she will be sitting on her hands very early in this competition- unless Anthony can save her from complete collapse (but I seriously doubt he can do). 

In fact, Anthony is a perfect example of the problem with Xtina.  She likely would have encouraged him on in the vocal gymnastics he demonstrated during the rehearsal, instead of telling him to go for more subtlety.  CeeLo created that lovely performance he gave; Xtina would not have done that.  Hell, she probably would have had Caroline try to waah-AAAHH- aaahhhhh her way through the song as well.  I thought CeeLo's battle was the highlight of the night.  There were some truly beautiful moments from both of those young singers.  I would have chosen Caroline as the winner as well.  I was looking forward to seeing how she would do and am now convinced she is a smart kid who will go far in the competition under CeeLo's tutelage.  Something to look forward to.

I enjoyed Blake's battle as well and am not a country music fan (especially after last season).  I was kind of hoping they could have broken the rules for the Bamas and let them go forward as a duo.  Their voices blended nicely- although they never quite resolved the harmony problems. 

I thought Adam's battles were also horrible.  Pairing TessAnne and Donna was a sytlistic mistake- but I guess the black women with big voices must be paired against each other even though they have very different singing styles (that's about as deep Adam's artistic sensibilities plumb).  I would have liked to have seen TessAnne paired up against one of the rockers on his team.  That would have been much more interesting than the typical battle of the belters.  The other battle was just kind of meh.  I do not hear anything special or interesting in Grey's voice.  Wedding singer sounds like the correct profession for her IMO.  I knew Adam would select Grey as soon as I saw the matchup.  I am not a huge fan of Nick (desperation smells, Nick, even through the TV screen), but I found him more interesting as a performer than Grey (how appropriate a name).

For some reason, the whole show seemed very scripted.  I did not get a sense that any of the steals were sincere (especially the Double Steal for Nepotism).  I think Blake used his up so that he wouldn't be in position to steal a country singer (ie, wouldn't incur the wrath of the country audience if he didn't steal a country artist).  I can't otherwise explain them.  Of course, Xtina would steal the young black man with the soulful voice.  None of it seemed spontaneous to me.  That feeling is not helped by the constant spoiling going into and coming out of the commercials.

Note to producers:  Please do not cut away from the contestants when they finish their performance.  This viewer at least would like to see the post-performance and post-selection hugs/reactions between the contestants.  A huge part of the Voice brand to me is the camaraderie and respect the contestants have for each other, as opposed to the Machiavellian bitchiness on other shows.  Let us see and enjoy that please.  Also, I think I am developing a case of carpel tunnel from constantly having to fast forward the incessant commercial breaks. 

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

Liked it, but not impressed by Xtina's coaching on Rising Sun. I don't think demonstrating how to make it better by changing. every. single. note. in the phrase. is helpful. Glad she let Briana go--so mediocre--but sad she's going to the knockouts and can get voted past others just based on her sister's name and fan base. She's really nothing special imo at all and didn't even have the star power Jacqui does at 16 (plus, how cute was she with her Ed geek-out?)

I think this is going to be one of the best seasons.

Edited by Kali12, Oct 15, 2013 @ 1:55 PM.

normaltv7

normaltv7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

Brianna Cuoco a dark horse in the competition?! WTF? She is not remotely up to par with some of the singers in this completion.

I actually love her sister in her show. But to give her this much hype when other contestants are clearly more talented is ridiculous.

Thought, overall, it was a great episode and agreed with most decisions.

Caroline, for me, is truly interesting and look forward to seeing what she does next.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

I thought Big Bang's sister was much better tonight.  I can see why she got stolen but glad she went to Blake's team.  Hopefully Ceelo can pick up some good singers from the other judges.  

Loved Amber and Jacqui.  And I loved Celo's battles.  Tessanne/Tina Turner battle was just not good.  I was disappointed in that one.  I like the first country girl on Blake's team.  I like her better than all of the country singers he had last year.  Anthony seems sweet but I agree that Ceelo brought out the best in him.  Hope he doesn't overdo it now that he's on Team Cristina who looks fabulous by the way.

Overall a good night.  

Imakeepit100

Imakeepit100

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

I really, really like Tessanne. She has a refreshing quality and her voice is clean. I will def vote for her. I liked Caroline but I need those bangs gone. I'm superficial like that. I liked the country duet. I would've picked Justin, though. The nepotism situation angers me. She has a decent voice, but nothing to write home about, certainly nothing to steal.

photo fox

photo fox

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I really liked Bri Cuoco tonight. There's a quality to her voice on that song that really appealed to me. Plus, the girl she was up against (Jacqui?) was completely underwhelming, and she smiled the whole damn way through the song. Did she not even listen to the words? I simply cannot take another season of a sweetly smiling teenager who's incapable of connecting to a lyric.

Something about Caroline just doesn't work for me. I can't put my finger on it, but she just seems fake. (Not personally - her performances.)

The rest of the battles pretty much went the way I would have picked. I probably would have gone with Justin over Shelbie, but I didn't have a strong preference either way. Was glad Blake saved Nic, even though I did think Grey won that battle. There's just something about Nic that makes me smile.

Edited by photo fox, Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:33 AM.

troubleinmind

troubleinmind

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

To me, there seems to be a flaw in the system. I get that it's supposed to be spontaneous for the steals and it probably is most dramatic that way. However, then it becomes dependent on what order the battles go in and a lot of the best people haven't gone yet. So, if you want to steal, do you just assume that you'll get who you want in the future and pass? Or, do you take someone and kick yourself later.

I wish someone had picked up Tamyra (sp?) because I really liked her tone and preferred her over Amber. I think she would have done better on another team.

I wish Blake had not picked up Brianna since I like Blake, but, oh well. I liked Donna's voice over Tessanne's in that battle, but it wasn't a song that needed to be shouted on either side, so weird pick.

As far as Justin vs Shelbie, I do think Blake made the right choice. I think Christina made the right choice with Jacqui. I really liked her.

I knew Adam would pick Tessanne and Grey. It's always clear to me with his picks who he wants. I don't care for Grey at all. Bleh. Nic, though he may not go far, was a lot more interesting while Grey completely bored me.

As far as Christina stealing Anthony. I'm glad he's still on the show. I'm curious to see more.

Caroline doesn't thrill me, but maybe that opinion will change. Right now, I'm rooting for Holly.

And, back to my steals problem. I, personally would love to see a show where all the booted battlers come back and then can get stolen. Of course, that's nowhere near as "risky" and dramatic.

Edited by troubleinmind, Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:38 AM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

Thank you, Ketzel, for beating me to skewering Xtina for not knowing the background of House of the Rising Sun. For a glorious female version of the song, which predated The Animals by several years, check out Ronnie Gilbert of The Weavers http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ghiCDcrerx0

Kora

Kora

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

Briana is a serious WTF is this chick doing on this show other than she has a famous sister.

Although I thought she was better tonight than her audition, I agree.

And I can't help but think there were some behind the scenes shenanigans (aka producer pressure) letting them know someone needed to pick her up when (not if) she got cut during the battle rounds, maybe with the caveat that unless she really was atrocious.

I also think that they purposely aired her battle round tonight because it keeps up the chatter about her in the media longer, which is good for The Voice.  All that ramp up going into the commercial before their round about one of the most 'epic battles' and that nonsense was just more hype - and then Blake calling her a dark horse - makes for great media chatter again and it'll last them for awhile. 

Had Bri not been shown until later in the battle rounds, they'd have lost weeks of publicity and attention to manipulate to their advantage because she really was NOT memorable (to most it seems reading opinions online) in her audition, the talk about her would have both died down and any that did occur would have looked like favoritism. 

Showing her now and having her stolen makes it "justified" for all the fandom she'll get from the celebrity world (and thus many of their followers) for a few weeks, and the talk about it will get others to tune in to The Voice.

I also suspect that her battle round had to have been far later into it as far as when it really occurred, because even with producer pressure, I can't see Blake having chosen to save her using what (appeared to be on the show, but likely wasn't) his last/second save. 

My hunch is they'll keep her around until the knockout rounds - airing her performance toward the middle/end) to maximize the chatter, but not also keep someone who really isn't nearly as good as most others.  Because even at that point, I think the producers know it'll look like manipulation or a scheme. 

HighQueenEB

HighQueenEB

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:08 AM

Grrrr...  I lost my original comments...  Blake Shelton is a genius.  And he's gonna win this season again.  I think he's proven himself very capable of working with artists from a variety of genres and especially at song selection.  Sure, nothing necessarily outside of the box or edgy but instead very safe and comfortable which works to his advantage once the audience takes over the voting.  Plus, he has a fanbase that has proven they will vote and vote and vote for his team.  Combine that with the Kaley Cuoco fanbase and I don't see how Bri loses.  I could be wrong - it's been known to happen - but I don't think I am.

There have been several interesting comments in the past few weeks about how The Voice, and it's voting base, differs from other competitive singing/reality TV shows, but one in particular stands out and dovetails with my belief that Bri Cuoco will win this season.  If the theory that those who tune in and vote are drawn to nicer, more familiar, more wholesome and All-American contestants is correct then it will be impossibly hard to overcome everything Bri now has going for her. 

Blake is good at picking songs that a) highlight the singer's capabilities, b) are familiar to the voting audience, and, often, c) prescient.  For example - "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" for The Swon Bros right after George Jones passed away - not a remarkable rendition, IMO, but who the heck was going to vote against the guys who sang a tribute to one of the greatest recording artists of all time or Cassadee Pope singing "Over You" which was, at the time, a current hit for Blake's wife that they'd co-written about his very personal loss and for which they'd won multiple awards? 

While I think that people are very capable of differentiating between Briana Cuoco and her sister, I've seen flashes in Bri of some of Kaley Cuoco's most appealing personality traits.  There is a similarity in their vocal tone and mannerisms, and, to Bri's immense benefit, in those fluff pieces, a sense of genuine affection, love and support from her sister.  Kaley Cuoco does not come off as fake or "Hollywood".  She comes across as All-American as that character she plays on that other network's hit comedy.  That appeals - which is why her q-rating has been soaring and she's booking some pretty high profile endorsement gigs.  If Bri can sing as well as she did in "House of the Rising Sun" - a tremendously better performance by far than her blind audition - and continues to seem just as down to earth and intelligent yet humble and hard-working, she's going to develop a juggernaut that will likely be unstoppable. 

Of course, that's assuming she survives the Knockout Rounds.  And I fully expect that Blake will keep her on his team and make sure that he pairs her, in the KO round, against a weaker singer with a song that is clearly in Bri's wheelhouse.  The man is a marketing genius and I think he realizes that Briana Cuoco just might be his ticket to an unbelievable fourth Voice victory.

On a different note...  I listen to country music all day long and I have yet to hear Danielle Bradbery's song come over my airwaves once.  I heard it on YouTube when it first debuted and didn't think much of it.  I want to say that maybe I've heard Cassadee Pope's single but if I have it certainly hasn't stuck out to me as all that remarkable.  It's not offensive, obnoxious or flat-out "un-country" enough for me to either turn to the other country station in my market or seriously contemplate calling/emailing the station and telling them how awful that song is ("Red Solo Cup", "Boys 'Round Here" and that new, atrocious Jerrod Niemann song that I just heard today), but it's not memorable enough for me to know for certain I've heard it either.  All in all, neither one of them have made much of a dent on the country radio scene yet, as far as I can tell - not like Carrie Underwood did with "Jesus, Take the Wheel" anyways.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:52 AM

Caroline, for me, is truly interesting and look forward to seeing what she does next.

She may be original, but I have to admit I get a little uncomfortable watching her.  At least tonight I thought she looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

I enjoyed the guest mentors, especially Ryan Tenor. He seemed very into being a mentor to me, and I thought his advice was spot on and very intelligent.

LAMusing2

LAMusing2

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 3:27 AM

I'm brand new to The Voice  (only stumbled on it last week and only because it's on just before Blacklist).  So I have no previous seasons to compare it to. Enjoying it - thrilled it's not an American Idol clone (I hate that show).  My take so far:

CeeLo - Almost every comment he made tonight was one I made to my friend moments before - so clearly he's brilliant ;)   His battle was the best of the night for me - glad both are moving forward.  Caroline's voice is so unusual and her phrasing is unexpected but totally works - love her.  Anything she recorded would be uniquely hers.  Don't think she'll win mainly because she's visually a bit awkward and not even a tiny bit flashy ( I gather audience votes determine the winner?), but honestly she's one of my favorites.  Loved the way CeeLo phrased it "dreaming with my eyes open". 

Adam- What a dreadful dreadful song to choose for his battle of the belters.  Simply awful and that monotone low range chorus didn't show either of them to their best advantage.  I called it that whichever one didn't win would not be "stolen" - and imho it's because of the choice of material.  Agree with another poster that it would have been more interesting to pair them up with different singers.

Grey and Nic battle - thankfully a much better song choice for them by Adam.  They actually played off each other pretty well and both have strong energy.  Her voice is smooth and pleasant but I wasn't overwhelmed.    Best I can say is I didn't hate them...  except his outfit made my skin crawl - pushed up jacket sleeves and was that a leopard print tank top?  Yikes. 

Blake - I'm not very familiar with country music and the battle was "meh" for me.  If I had to pick one I would have gone the other way only because, while his performance was pretty flat, the guy had a nice warmth to his voice. But didn't really care one way or the other. 

Xtina -   I think her Rising Sun vocals notes were dead on but agree it was a pretty dated song choice.  I think she picked the right girl to move on.  Jacquie sounded good, although she's way too young and unspoiled to be singing that material.  Briana has terrible diction - wouldn't have understood half of what she sang if I didn't already know the lyrics.  That's just lazy singing.  

Amber and Timyra - both did a terrific job.  I would have had a hard time choosing between them. Don't understand why Timyra wasn't stolen and that Briana girl was. 

Random side note: I met Xtina on a TV job.  It was a gruelingly long day/night and she was unfailingly kind, unassuming, patient and very genuinely friendly.  Met Jessica Simpson a few weeks before on the same show - she was pretty much the opposite.  

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 5:59 AM

I was hoping Christina was going more toward the version used on the American Horror Story promos: http://youtu.be/LALSWoX1bkc. Or at least that her contestants would change the gender to fit the singer. I still love Cody Belew's version of 'Jolene', because he kept the original gender but  turned the song on its ear and made it his own! I thought most of the battles were interesting. I would have chosen differently than Christina between Tamyra Joi and Amber. But most of the rest made sense to me. Would Nick's voice be clearer without the nose ring? I've never known a singer whose voice was enhanced by altering the mouth/nose. Usually they are very protective about that.

Looking at Cher scares me, but she gave surprisingly lucid pointers. Then I recalled that she was married to Greg Allman.

larme

larme

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 6:22 AM

Grey is the new beige. 

What the hey, Caroline completely changed my mind! She was kind of adorable in rehearsals and she steered that Justin Bieber song into a pretty magical territory. Gotta give props to Anthony too because he really did his part to make that performance work and it was beautiful. 

IA that Next To Me was a pretty terrible choice for Donna and Tessane - classic Adam.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 6:39 AM

All-American contestants

Would you care to define what that means?

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 6:52 AM

So I know it's the nature of the beast but I hate it when songs are geared towards one performer.  It annoys me times two when Adam does it because he annoys me in general without even talking.  I can also call every single one of his battles before we ever hear his people sing a note, which just sucks.

Seeing CeeLo coach tonight reminded me why even though I usually get the heebie jeebies from him during the blinds I love him the rest of the season.  The man knows his shit, period.  The difference he made with Anthony was amazing, coaching him away from all that dated embellishments and run crap.  I'm afraid Christina is totally going to undo all that wonderful work as she seems to be firmly planted in the singing style from last century.

I want the Bang Sister out of there.  I'll admit she was way better than her blind audition, but if she didn't have a super star sister jumping up and down in the audience I highly doubt she would have been stolen by anyone and that ticks me off.  Wait, I mean she never would have had a chair turn to begin with - that blind audition was a hot mess.  Most overrated person on the show ever.  I actually liked Jacquie, and I'm not usually a fan of the belters. 

There's something about her tone that I must like, because usually those types of singers have to smack me in the face with genuine to really pull me in, and I don't think she was particularily connected with the song.  Amber, however, really was and I really, really liked her.  Timyra can belt, for sure, but I could not understand a thing she was singing and she just sounded dated, which is sad considering she's 15.

The country duo was okay, but I'm just not a fan of country unless it's something coming out of Johnny Cash's mouth.

Scribbly

Scribbly

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 7:00 AM

I couldn't stand that rendition of "House of the Rising Sun."  I couldn't understand why they had to slide into every. single. note.  I though Jacqui (however that's spelled) was worse about it, so I like Briana better.  But really, that mess is Christina's fault.  Basically, if you use a trick or slur on every note, it loses all effect and just gets irritating.  It's also just lazy singing and prevents you from hearing it.  That was sort of the problem on "Next to Me" as well.

ETA:  I thought from the lyrics, it seemed they were using The Animals version of the song as a base.  Which is a weird choice because that version is more wailed out, where their version was very much not.

Edited by Scribbly, Oct 15, 2013 @ 7:04 AM.

allspice

allspice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

Don't know if it was the song or the singers, but Grey and Nic bored me. Grey is the definition of generic. Everything about her is conventional and flat. Nic's more fun to watch and has potential to do interesting things with more suitable material.

Timyra-Joi showed power but Amber really understood the ballad. (Do Amber and Ashley have the same stylist? What is with the blond puff on top of their heads?)

The second half of the show was a horror movie I need to forget.

Something about Caroline (on stage) is very creepy. Anthony sometimes has the look of a psychopath, too. The two of them made As Long As You Love Me fit as the theme song for a Natural Born Killer type of movie. Nothing against wispy voices like Caroline's, but the sort of "quirky" or "socially awkward" personality that's always part of the package is irritating.

Tessanne and Donna's vocal cat fight was scary. And then Jacquie and Bri built a murder house.

Edited by allspice, Oct 15, 2013 @ 9:28 AM.

Mrs Bee

Mrs Bee

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

Once again, Blake wastes his two steals. Adam has so much talent that he will be forced to pair some of the better performers and lose one.There is just no way around it. And yet Blake steals two of the weaker contestants. Maybe there is a method to his madness in that he gains fodder, but Briana surely will be getting some boost from her sibling, and from Blake's fanbase.

I really like Tessanne. Too bad that song did nothing for either woman. Adam, how about a lovely Annie Lennox/Eurythmics song for two singers who could actually do it justice?

I really liked Caroline much more than I thought that I would, and the advice that Ryan Miguel and Cee Lo gave her was spot on, actually, both of them. That was the pairing of the night for me. Hell, forgot who was mentoring with whom.

Whoever does styling and hair and makeup on this show should be fired. Several of the younger, more petite girls were outfitted in clothes that had horrible proportions which made them look hunchbacked. Caroline especially.

Edited by Mrs Bee, Oct 15, 2013 @ 9:02 AM.

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

Whoever does styling and hair and makeup on this show should be fired. Several of the younger, more petite girls were outfitted in clothes that had horrible proportions which made them look hunchbacked. Caroline especially.

I think it must be the same person for all the seasons or they are just really good at hiring horrible stylists.  If you are a bigger girl you shall dress like Adele or Mama Cass, and if they want you to be sexy you will have the scariest set of spider eyelashes on.

They need to replace Adam with Ryan STAT.

Edited by kj4ever, Oct 15, 2013 @ 8:27 AM.