The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18072 replies to this topic

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

[snip]

I don't care for country music in general. I wasn't raised with it so I never got a chance to develop an appreciation for it.  I did vote for the Swon Brothers, however, because I liked them as performers.

I know the show is called The Voice and people get annoyed when singers they see as having better voices get cut. The thing is the only time a choice can be made based solely on someone's voice is during the blind rounds. Once the singer is on our screens and performing, "America" or actually those people who watch this show DO see the contestants.  And people judge performances by more than a voice. They judge on likeability, how the songs are presented and sometimes for reasons that aren't necessarily conscious. I liked how the Swon Brothers made me feel and I truly enjoyed them, so I voted for them. I loved Michelle and the energy of her performances, so I voted for her. Danielle did nothing for me, so I didn't vote for her.  But Danielle did a lot for a large number of people, so she won.

The AV Club reviewed the finale for The Voice. I thought it was a pretty good review.  Here are a few quotes

And yet there’s something about The Voice that I admire, and tonight’s two-hour finale offered a nice demonstration of it. What works about The Voice is that it’s upfront about how it’s ultimately a space where NBC can sell celebrity and commercial products on the backs of unknown singers....Daly stops the broadcast late in the hour to personally thank Starbucks on behalf of the crew, suggesting the crew could not have completed their labor if not for their caffeinated—and promotional—support.

Also from the article

And yet as the finale progressed, there was something strikingly genuine about the whole affair. During Monday’s performance finale, Shakira brought props to express her support for the three remaining finalists given that all of her team had been eliminated before the final round. The props mean little, really, but Shakira seemed to genuinely enjoy being able to play cheerleader for these people. And when you watch Usher talk about what it would be like for Michelle to win the competition, or as you watch how much fun Blake was having playing the goofball with his team, you realize this is fun and meaningful for them. The relationships the contestants speak to with the coaches don’t feel like a construct of the Mark Burnett machine, but rather genuine human connections, reinforced when the season’s final image is all of the coaches and the three finalists on stage with winner Danielle Bradbery’s family, as though they’re all part of the same family in the end.

The Voice works because you believe that image would have been identical had one of the other finalists won. Rather than a singing competition, The Voice is a documentary reality show about the mentorship of young singers by charismatic and caring celebrities. Each week viewers tune in not to see who wins and loses, but rather to watch as singers grow into artists; the same is true of most singing competitions, true, but the tight focus on mentorship foregrounds this narrative above that of competition.

The bolded part reflects my feelings.

And a final quote bolding mine again.

• I’m guessing there were a few audible exhales when the Swon Brothers were announced as the third place finishers, although it wasn’t much of a surprise: If Michelle had finished in third place they wouldn’t have announced it (because it would have robbed them of Usher and Blake holding hands over the winner), and there was no way Danielle was finishing third. Still, from what I saw online it seemed like they were the most divisive act remaining: As one person put it, “the pretty one is holding the other one back.”

The Voice is unique in that it starts about judgements on voices uninfluenced by other considerations.  It becomes a look at what people do to make themselves appeal to a voting public and how already established artists play into this.  Frankly, that is what I love about The Voice.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:51 PM.
Quoted post was deleted

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Normally silly skits annoy me, but I really liked the ones last night.  Blake really is funny.  Maybe it was just the writers.  I agree that he may be on to something.  Perhaps Blake could grab the Swons, Danielle and some famous country pals, like Reba and remake HeeHaw, the country bumpkin comedy show from the 70's. Remember Pickin' and a Grinnin'  Talk about cornball.  It was a series of funny skits intermingled with country music performances.  I'd watch it.

I loved the Danille win.  My favorite was the perfomance by Swons, Justin, Holly and Amber!  They are ready to tour and record. They are better, IMO than most other country groups by far.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Rather than a singing competition, The Voice is a documentary reality show about the mentorship of young singers by charismatic and caring celebrities. Each week viewers tune in not to see who wins and loses, but rather to watch as singers grow into artists; the same is true of most singing competitions, true, but the tight focus on mentorship foregrounds this narrative above that of competition.

I love this way of looking at it. Also love the description of Shakira with her props being a happy cheerleader for others. So smart.

re: the pretty one. That was an interesting four finalists--Zack, the "less pretty" and his "pretty" brother and Danielle "pretty" v. Michelle "less pretty". Yet everyone got along so well, seemed to really like each other and be so happy for each other regardless of the outcome. And all of them, classically good-looking or not,  had legions of fans.

Who would have thought Mark Burnett would create a show with a soul and a heart? Not me, but apparently he did.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:52 PM.
Formatting

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

I thought they did?  Weren't there four in the room?  I know those are just models but I figured four meant they were giving away four.  Or maybe there were more than four, to show all their models.  I'm not sure

There were actually 5 cars in the room, but each contestant only got to pick one model.  And the Swons definitely had to share, because they were talking about how they would decide who gets the car when, and Carson made a joke that they could fight for it like they did when they were teenagers.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

Danielle was remarkable in her ability to never miss a note.

There were just occasions, if you knew the song well enough, when you might notice that a note she was hitting may not have been the one she should have been aiming for. But that's an issue with learning a song quickly for the show, rather than singing ability, and I don't recall it ever detracting from the sound of the song, so they could have been deliberate changes.

SuzE

SuzE

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

I really enjoyed the finale.  It was very entertaining.  I didn't know how they would fill 2 hours, but they did it very well.

I'm happy for the Danielle win.  She's got a great voice and I think they'll finally have a commercially successful artist come out of this show.  I'm not particularly a country music fan, but I could see myself buying her music.  I'd love to see the Swon Brothers in concert.  Michelle seems like a really nice person, but I don't think I'd buy her stuff.  I never really got the 'quirky' label for her, she just seems like a nice, normal person.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Edited by SuzE, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:41 PM.

pivot

pivot

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

[snip]

All genres require projecting emotion and telling stories not just country. I hate when Blake and others act like this is unique to country, it's not.

I do find it funny that the one singer on this season's show who [I found] incapable of projecting any emotion or telling a story is Danielle and Blake considers her a country artist. Grinning like an imbecile and singing every single song the exact same way with no inflection is not projecting emotion.

Female country artists tend to be packaged within an inch of their lives, so I expect Danielle will shine in that arena. She'll be a mini-Faith Hill.

Danielle was remarkable in her ability to never miss a note.

She was flat a lot. It really showed up in her duets when [I thought] she was outsung by everyone else on stage.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:57 PM.
Opinion as fact

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

The artist has major options once they become famous and are an asset to a record company.  They need the label, unless they want to spend their lives singing at fairs and bars, and doing something else to make a living!

No one needs a label if they know what they are doing

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

She was flat a lot. It really showed up in her duets when [I thought] she was outsung by everyone else on stage.

She wasn't flat alot.  She was technically great almost every time.  If you want to talk about stage presence and emotional connection then she might have issues.  But I don't think she had issues in this area.

Well it depends on what the goal is doesn't it?  Is the goal to get your music out to the most amount of people?  Or just to make a reasonable living?  Or to get on the radio and be famous?  I think if you want to be really successful (i.e. radio play) then you do still need a label at least until you've become a major act.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:58 PM.
Quoted post was edited

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

I agree with Pivot, Danielle was flat a lot, particularly so in last night's songs where she went flat in both her solo performances off and on throughout each song.  

Edited by callietwo, Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:14 PM.

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Well it depends on what the goal is doesn't it?  Is the goal to get your music out to the most amount of people?  Or just to make a reasonable living?  Or to get on the radio and be famous?  I think if you want to be really successful (i.e. radio play) then you do still need a label at least until you've become a major act.

This is an excellent point.  I know local musicians who make a very good living without being on a show like The Voice.  I mean how many people are super stars compared to the amount of musicians in the world?  I'm sure they'd all like to be rich and famous, but I wouldn't ever call someone unsuccessful that gets to do what they love for a living.

Some of the people that didn't even make it to the live rounds (Midas Whale, Amy Whitcomb, Savannah Berry and Christian Porter) are all out there promoting tours right now.  I am pretty sure they are getting more $$ and bigger venues just because of their short time on The Voice.

Stlouielouie

Stlouielouie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

[snip] I just don't like country - it sounds whiny to me.  Bob Seger - all his songs project emotion- I thought the Swon brothers did fine with him but hated when they sang his song alone - I thought they mangled it.  Music is so completely subjective to each person.  I didn't like Danielle's voice because I don't like that "type" of music.  I loved Chris, Vedo, Josiah and Garrett's song - some people didn't - to each their own. And I always love Cher!  To me, country just isn't pleasing.  Weirdly though there was a song Nelly did with Tim McGraw that I actually liked but when I heard it I just "heard" Nelly and some guy.  So, I am one that feels that this season was a disappointment and the Voice is turning into Nashville Voice - when in actuality it probably wasn't.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:00 PM.
Quoted post was deleted

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

Depends on what kind of fame or lifestyle you want, but most musicians do not make a living off of their talent without some backing, or working for someone.

I think that  the reason these contestants do not make it to be huge stars is because of the demos for the ratings for all of these reality competition shows. They used to attract everyone, now from what I read they attract are not attracting high school and college aged kids.  Kids that age tend to be the big buyers of current music. I do not know one college student who watches any of the singing competitions, but my mom and grandparents watch them, and they would not run out and buy music! This is different from the early days when everyone watched the shows and got invested in the winner.

I personally am tired of all of these reality/competition shows.  The judges seem to use the show to promote their careers and they are so fake, pretending to be so nice to get fans for themselves.  The contestants don't go on to to have any substantial career.

Edited by sunnysyde, Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:19 PM.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

The trainwrecks - Oh Xtina and your pink bra and Pitbull and your suit, never ever change.  Cher - I counted three separate and distinct layers of hair and I spent the entire song trying to decide if she was wearing a skirt or pants, apparently it was both.  Florida-Georgia-whatever - no one will ever be able to convince me that isn't a joke song, sung with accents for humourous effect - like Monster Mash or the Valley Girl song.  It makes me laugh and laugh and sing along in a very loud fake accent.  Hunter Hayes jumping and flailing around like a monkey on meth while Danielle occasionally lifted her arms away from her sides while singing "I Want Crazy".  Bruno Mars - not a trainwreck per se, but whenever I hear the beginning of one of his songs I immediately think KC and the Sunshine Band and I miss the keyboard front and centre.  Seriously, close your eyes while listening, it's freaky. 

Oh and then Danielle won.

sunspot, you should be the official Voice re-capper.  Hilarious!

Great show, great season.  As others have said, I'd be equally happy/sad over any of the finalists winning/losing.

Sign me up for the Blake Shelton Variety Hour.

As far as I'm concerned, Zack is the "pretty" one.  If I were a young girl, he's the one I'd go for.

Edited by PoorKitty, Jun 20, 2013 @ 6:17 PM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

Eek!  I forgot about the horror of the Christina-Pitbull song (term used loosely) sampling a-ha's Take on Me!  That should never have happened, although it was probably the most enjoyable part of that mess.

I missed some of the show last night...well, I changed channels when it got too painful...did they give some love to Paul Mirkovich and the band?  I truly hope so because they are awesome.

And I love how they started putting Michelle's name up on the drum kit when she was performing.

Edited by cosmom, Jun 19, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

I missed some of the show last night...well, I changed channels when it got too painful...did they give some love to Paul Mirkovich and the band?  I truly hope so because they are awesome.

I don't think so, but maybe it was when I was FFing through stuff.  

Really, this was a 60 minute show once you cut out all the of the fluff and well, Florida-Georgia line which I can't even say was 'fluff' just.. horrid.  Do people really pay to see these guys and buy their music?  Because, shit, I could get up and do that!!  

Re: the cars, I thought Carson said they'd all get a car and the guys were fighting over a particular model and that's why Carson cracked that joke.  I guess I can see it from their standpoint, Kia bargained/agreed to provide the top three with one car each just like it's one contract with the winner, etc.. but come on, this show makes enough $$$ they should cough up the extra 20 grand or so for them to each get their own.  I would be wanting to look at the info-sheets on each car for safety & fuel ratings, and options etc before I'd choose one but maybe they got to do that afterwards.  

I'm hoping that what many here thought pre-announcement, that Michelle will do better coming in 2nd than in 1st.  She looked pretty tense the last two weeks and she wanted to win so badly, and so I'm disappointed that Danielle won.... but at least she (danielle) did come a bit more to life with this Hunter kid... they looked like the perfect compliment to each other .. two beautiful blonde kids, something out of a movie.  

I just don't like country - it sounds whiny to me.

That's what I feel when I hear it.. whiny.    

Edited by callietwo, Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:29 PM.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

Re: the cars, I thought Carson said they'd all get a car and the guys were fighting over a particular model and that's why Carson cracked that joke.

It really sounded to me like the Swons were talking as if they were sharing the car, saying "which one are we going to pick?" and "how are we going to decide who gets to drive this?".(I'm sure if, say, Michelle and Danielle picked the same model, Kia would've let them each have it).  I'm guessing Kia agreed to give a car to each of the 3 final acts, but not necessarily all the contestants in the final.  And now that I think about it, only getting one car works out better for the Swons, since now they don't have to pay a prize tax on two cars.

Edited by bparhad, Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:35 PM.

photo fox

photo fox

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

I think it's only fair that Zach drives the car about 95% of the time, sometimes with Colton in the passenger seat. [/snark because I love]

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

I think, somewhere down the line, Kia or even Show will make sure each Swonny gets a car.  The whole group of contestants did very well for the show, so I think they can show some love.

Well, that final show was a strange combo platter of great performances and WTF train wrecks.  WTF:  Xtina could not sing, and she and that rap dude stole "Take on Me" and added rap to it.  Blerg.  They were not "singing" nor was Cher, who for fifty years has been causing people to ask each other "What the hell was she wearing?"

However, most of the returning contestants sounded great, probably because they were singing when the pressure was off.  I particularly enjoyed Karina and Vedo (who knew!)  Vedo singing Motown was great -- isn't there a Broadway show about Berry Gordy that could use a good singer/performer?    Sarah, however, sounded dreadful and was singing notes known only to space aliens.  Damn shame.  You know, I think that's why Show wanted Danielle -- she's got the raw talent and it's much easier to train from that than to have to break someone of bad oversinging habits.

narrativeaddict

narrativeaddict

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

She wasn't flat a lot in her solos.   She was much better on her solos than she was in her duets, I'll give you that.  She's got so much talent; now she just needs more experience. 

Marrs

Marrs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Having gone back and re-watched some of the performances, anyone else notice the faces of Usher and Shakira when Christina was singing? Considering they were jammin out to practically everyone else's performances, it definitely looked like they didn't enjoy it too much. Could just be me though.

But I kind of feel bad for Christina. Her performance was a mess, but why did she pick a song where she's mainly singing the same lines over and and over again? Not to mention she was the featured artist in the song too. Her career has gone such downhill. If someone had told her she would be singing with Pitbull on the Voice a a few years back, she would laugh in their face.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

Xtina was only slightly better than Cher, imo. And both were awful (but at least Xtina didn't look as bad. And no closeups of Cher? What more has she done to her face, I wonder?

I hope Kia will come to their senses and give each Swon his own car (or TV will pay for the difference). Of course, they'll owe taxes on the retail value which could be pretty steep. Still....it seemed pretty clear it was "one car for you to share" and that's just not so cool.

AnyoneButYou

AnyoneButYou

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

I like Danielle so I'm glad she won. She apparently signed with Taylor Swift's record label Big Machine Records, so I think she'll be fine. Country radio will probably welcome her with open arms. She'll get better at performing with time once she's performing her songs I think. She seemed to loosen up a little when she performed with Hunter Hayes, and I have a feeling it has more to do with her liking the song and singing a song she's really familiar with than performing next to a cute boy or whatever.

I don't know what will happen with Michelle in the future. I wasn't really all that enamored with her performances, but I do like her personality.

I hope the Swon Brothers do well and I think they will. I can see them opening for Blake. I didn't like them in the beginning because I thought they were more of a novelty act than anything, but they won me over in the end.

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:17 PM

Label - Maybe in mainstream the nred for a label is still there, but for the heavier stuff that I'm into more and more bands have gone the indie route cause you can just hire a booking agent and publicist while paying for tunecore and you're good to go

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

She wasn't flat alot.  She was technically great almost every time.  If you want to talk about stage presence and emotional connection then she might have issues.  But I don't think she had issues in this area.

Agreed, MrSarahWalker.  Danielle's voice was clear as a bell.  There was one duet with Amber where Danielle wasn't able to project the low notes and another song where her voice got a bit reedy (which surprised me) but she absolutely was not "flat a lot."  Moreover, the last few songs of the season she hit some of the same low notes and knocked 'em out of the park.  However, I do think that at one point or another just about everyone on the show suffered from sound malfunctions (note the number of times people fiddle with their earpieces and/or removed them).  I've not seen that in prior seasons so I'd be curious if there was an ongoing problem with that.  Michelle was flat a few times but is also not someone I'd ever characterize as "flat alot."  Even Christina blew the opening notes on her song (which I'm more inclined to blame on a tech malfunction even if I'm not a huge Christina fan).   Now Sarah is someone I would characterize as "flat alot" and that inconsistency knocked her out despite having a really great voice (well, that and some odd song/dynamic choices).  

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

Perhaps Danielle was just tired of the whole deal but that doesn't change what I heard coming from her, particularly last night which was flat off and on, not continuously... just flat notes here and there~in my opinion.  Particularly with her lower register.  

Edited by callietwo, Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:35 PM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

It just makes me angry that some people say Danielle was flat a lot of others don't agree. Not at anyone, but just because I know nothing about the technicalities and so I hoped that would be something that was just a fact or not. Now it seems like even this is subjective. WTF! 

Sayneversay

Sayneversay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

It could depend on who hates Danielle and country and has been very vocally negative throughout.

Danielle ties Javier as the Voice artist with the most Hot 100 charters during the show, with 5. Born to Fly could get her past him.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:48 PM

Danielle ties Javier as the Voice artist with the most Hot 100 charters during the show, with 5.

A lot of good that did for Javier!

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

It could depend on who hates Danielle and country and has been very vocally negative throughout.

For me, Danielle was a favorite early on even with her country bent.. she was the one I was ~most~ looking forward to seeing after the BA (along with Sarah, and Michelle and Amber.)  

So, I don't think it is that, for me... I just say what I heard.      

It just makes me angry that some people say Danielle was flat a lot of others don't agree. Not at anyone, but just because I know nothing about the technicalities and so I hoped that would be something that was just a fact or not. Now it seems like even this is subjective. WTF!

I always thought it was something factual but clearly enough of us heard it one way and enough heard it another that it must not actually be factual so perhaps it's not anything that can be settled one way or another.

I definitely heard flatness. Others didn't hear that from her.. I haven't a clue as to the difference. I also heard it with others off and on throughout the season.   I've heard it from Michelle, for instance at times (and posted that I heard it at the time) I heard it from Sarah, a LOT.  The other latina whose name escapes me, but she was young was very flat almost throughout her entire run to me. (Oh, I think her name was Mary?)  Caroline Glazer was pretty flat, particularly last night but I didn't comment on her because, well.. she was already booted so it didn't seem apropos to bring it up.   

Danielle running away with this bugs because I didn't think she was as good as she was made out to be and I see nothing there in her eyes when she sings.  To me, that is an over-riding factor as to why I went from looking forward to seeing her after the BA to not wanting her to win at the end.  

Edited by callietwo, Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:19 PM.