The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18085 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

For those with OnDemand, there is a 18 minute preview available. It's basically the same as the 12 minute preview except the longer preview includes another audition.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Yeah, I can see that 12 minute preview was posted on YouTube by a few people, but NBC obvious got on the stick and immediately had them copyright blocked.

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I'm still iffy about this show in general - the commercials were painful - but it's already better than I expected to be. I'm intrigued by the judges mentoring concept. I haven't seen X-Factor so this is new thing for me.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I really liked Javier, and I liked the judges. Carson Daly was the weakest part of the show, but I can overlook him.

Wildcard28

Wildcard28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

It was better than I expected - and it's always nice to see some people who would never make it to AI. I just hope they don't overplay the "judge's rivalry".

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

I greatly enjoyed this show, particularly because many of these are folks who might not ordinarily (read: if you were shallow assholes who care only about looks) getting chosen. So I'm with it all the way.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

That was surprisingly, really good. The judges are great.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

I liked it. I don't know much I'll be into the later rounds but this is kind of fun. I like that the mentors are really competing with each other.

So glad Frenchie made it through.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Wow, I absolutely loved this show. I was expecting it to be cheesier than American Idol, but it was 1000% better. The stars were all great and had good chemistry. Carson wasn't annoying and reminded me that he does know about music. And the best part was that there were no awful singers and no mocking of people with disabilities unlike AI.

Adam looks like she has the strongest team so far.

Dawnydiesel92

Dawnydiesel92

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

REALLY liked it. I liked the camaraderie of the judges, especially between the men. I kinda thought they were subtly poking fun at Christina but that's to be expected.

I thought the younger girl was freaking phenomenal, I think her name was Sinya? But that raspy voice was beautiful. I was very surprised however that she chose Blake over Ceelo.

ETA: I LOVED that Frenchie was on. I recognized her right off but thought that I was surely wrong.

Edited by Dawnydiesel92, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:07 PM.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Love it so far. The judges have great chemistry and it's awesome to see people who wouldn't have made it on other shows.

So far, I like Adam & Christina's teams best.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

I really liked it. It was just fun, and the interplay between the judges was really good. I liked them having to compete for the contestants. It was much better than the Idol audition shows, which are just about unwatchable. I really like that there were no horrible singers who were only included to mock them.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

You'll never convince me Frenchie Davis chose of her own accord to sing "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry completely straight. Not in a million centuries. Not even if she says it herself.

Nirvana woman, the quiet teen had a really quirky tone and I'm glad they picked her (though she should've went with Cee Lo, Batman costume or not), bald lesbian, the other lesbian (sang Adele), Adam Levine's country guy... I really liked all of them. Shame that not one of them would ever make it on Idol. The guy who sang "Time After Time" would probably do well on Idol, and was very good too.

Lot of country guys, interestingly. The duo sounded awful in their harmonies, but were conventionally very attractive so they'll make it to the end.

Edited by Phan, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:09 PM.

shrunken violet

shrunken violet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

I LOVED this show!!! It makes Idol look like a junior high after-school club. There were so many competitive elements in that premiere, so many people to root for -- judges and contestants alike -- that for me there was not a dull moment. Some two-hour episodes feel bloated and endless, but not this one. I loved that looks and age don't matter, although I wish they'd stop with the "this might be his or her last chance" for anyone who's over 30. (Gimme a break!) And yay, Frenchy! I was pissed off when she was booted from Idol, and I'm so happy that she gets a shot at redemption. Lots of talent so far.

Even though I really like J-Lo and Steven Tyler, I think Idol's death knell has sounded. Tomorrow night's episode will look pretty insipid after this show.

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I was surprised by how much I love it. I would definitely by some of the songs I heard tonight. I really liked Beverly's version of Piece of My Heart. You could really feel the song. The mentors look as though they are really enjoying themselves and they could actually talk about what about that person's voice appeals to them. I started watching Idol this season and have tuned out so far. Will definitely be back for this.

Was surprised that Sinya chose Blake, but maybe his comment about Ceelo showing up dressed in a batman costume scared her. She is only 16!

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I'm getting a lesbian vibe from Beverly (the final singer) - must be my finely tuned gaydar.

Seriously, I'm not a fan of reality singing shows, but I liked what I saw (and heard) tonight.

ETA: shrunken violet I was joking about needing finely tuned gaydar re: Beverly!

Edited by JessieQ, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:20 PM.

shrunken violet

shrunken violet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Was surprised that Sinya chose Blake, but maybe his comment about Ceelo showing up dressed in a batman costume scared her. She is only 16!

I'm sure her father was relieved. :-)

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I caved and watched it. It is so similar to X Factor, it's weird. The only difference being the way the teams are created but beyond that, very similar. I agree that Adam seems to have the strongest team so far and that's annoying because I can't stand Adam Levine as a musician. I think Adam's "Broken Road" and the True Colours guy are my favourites. I missed a couple.

I didn't see what all the fuss was about for the one who sang "American Boy". I found her voice fairly unmemorable. Maybe I'm just biased in favour of Estelle.

I think what XF has on this show is the inclusion of older contestants. I knew that one who sang Dusty was screwed the minute she chose that song, it just screamed that she was older and I think that was part of the reason she wasn't chosen. On XF there is the Overs Category and at least you have a shot if you're over 40.

Edited by oakgal, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:20 PM.

kevsing

kevsing

Fanatic

Go away Frenchie Davis. Your time has passed. Her voice is completely average, she has no stage presence, and she has divatude to boot. Blech.

shrunken violet

shrunken violet

Fanatic

I'm getting a lesbian vibe from Beverly (the final singer) - must be my finely tuned gaydar.

I don't think you need gaydar to get that vibe. She also introduced her girlfriend as her girlfriend and asked if it was OK to kiss her on TV.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I loved it. I had really low expectations, but that time after time clip got to me so I watched. Blake Shelton is hawt as hell and he's funny. I loved the talent and the premise of this show. It's already introduced me to two kick-ass songs (Break Even and Bless the Broken Road---yes, I am old and out of touch with today's music). I strongly dislike Adam Levine and Carson Daley, but they didn't bug me too much.

I loved the 16 year old and agree she should have been with Cee-Lo. I don't get the appeal of the duo at all. They were kind of strange and off-putting. I liked Janis Joplin bald woman, but she didn't make the song her own. It sounded like karoke to me, so I would have passed on her.

I am (surprisingly) looking forward to this next week.

ETA-I love that Cee-Lo knew who Frenchie was. That was cool!

Edited by Tahitian Moon, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:20 PM.

Rejoice

Rejoice

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Count me as someone else who wasn't expecting to like this but did. Xenia was awesome, she reminds me of Regina Spektor and I hope somebody puts her on youtube soon. However, I think the "competition" aspects later (really? a boxing ring?) will probably get to her. I also loved the mom singing "Come As You Are", she was fantastic. I thought the girl that did "American Boy" was pitchy as hell, same with the black Mormon dude.

Frenchie is awesome and I'm glad she's still trying but that song choice was fucking awful.

I liked Janis Joplin bald woman, but she didn't make the song her own. It sounded like karoke to me, so I would have passed on her.

Agreed, I didn't think anyone could pick her because it seems like she's only going to be good at singing Janis Joplin songs. I don't think her voice is strong enough to carry a pop tune without a heavy chorus.

Edited by Rejoice, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:23 PM.

LingPetunia

LingPetunia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

I'm not shocked Adam's team is the frontrunner so far- if I knew nothing of the judges (which I'm positive these contestants to, but still), I'd pick him. He's coming across the best and seems the most genuine (although I personally think he's a tool).

I already liked Christina and Cee Lo, but Blake Shelton was a treat. I know nothing of him, but I so assumed he was hired to play the dumb stereotypical hick. Very, very pleasantly surprised by him.

I liked a ton of people, but Javier is miles above the competition. I really liked Nirvana girl too.

Cream Cheese

Cream Cheese

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

I enjoyed it more expected but not sure how invested I will feel once the auditions are complete. The showdown stage (a boxing-ring?) looks cheesy as hell but was really impressed with the quality of singers. I really liked the bald Dad and was bummed he didn't get selected.

Cee-Lo definately had the best feedback for the singers. Adam was kind of turdish but he brings pretty, so it's okay. I actually LOVED the opening bit with all the judges singing. I'm not huge into "new" country, preferring a more classic sound (Willie!) when I listen but Blake Shelton has an incredible voice. His part of "Crazy" was fantastic.

I'm in for atleast another week.

OneLastRefrain

OneLastRefrain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

LOVED Jeff who sang "Bless the Broken Road"!

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

Javier gave me chills. CHILLS. That was so good. That single audition performance was better, more artistic and more moment-worthy than anything on Idol this season. Adam's got himself a nice little team.

My other favorite performance was probably Xenia. She was obviously nervous as hell, but her voice had a really interesting and lovely quality.

Love the judges! LOVE THEM. Four coherent, likeable, fun people with a great camaraderie who are actually still relevant in music today and can actually offer constructive criticism? Take note, Idol.

And on a shallow note, I'd like to thank NBC for the Adam and Blake eye-candy every week.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

I'm in agreement that Adam has the strongest team so far.

OK. I've already downloaded Come As You Are by the homeless singer Rebecca Loebe. While there's not a bad voice in the bunch, some awesome ones even, I had physiological reaction to her singing. I'm hooked. The full version is awesome.

I love Javier Colon. I've got his album from a few years ago. Good to see him here.

I love 16 year old Xenia as well. Imagine how great she's gonna be in a few years.

If I had to choose least favorite it would be Frenchie and Beverly. Frenchie because she sounded rather average and I remember her being much better. Beverly because it smacked of karaoke.

Must see TV. Bye Idol.

Edited by tvweb44, Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:31 PM.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I grumbled at the thought of yet another 2 hour program so I caught it during the second hour but I guess i'll have to stay tuned now. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tarralyn Ramsey, winner of Vh1's "Born to Diva" from years ago, Frenchie Davis, and of course, Javier. I hope things really take off for him this time around.

I liked the other unknowns, Xenia (beautiful name) and Beverly.

Ty was good too, but I just can't stand "Just The Way You Are" being sung in singing competitions.

shadylane

shadylane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

This was amazing! I loved all of the judges. They were so enthusiastic and I love the competitive element that comes into play. Javier was my favorite, but really I pretty much liked everyone to some degree. The Nirvana performance tonight was more interesting than almost anything i've seen on Idol this season. I also thought Rolling in the Deep and Piece of My Heart tonight were way better than they were on Idol as well. The teenage girl also had a special voice with alot of potential. I am definitely in.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

I loved this show! I squealed when I heard Frenchie sing. Even the singers who weren't picked were really good. Patrick is cuter and a better singer than Scotty McCreery. I'm so glad that there's no age limit on the show. You shouldn't give up your dreams just because you are a certain age.