The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18044 replies to this topic

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

He's a perfectly fine singer if you're looking for a Vegas lounge act, but I don't see him ever cracking the ranks of the real music industry.

He's already in the real music industry and is doing just fine for himself.

My DVR chose tonight to not record The Voice. Argghhhh! Anyway, someone called me to say Christina had a huge wet spot on the back of her skirt. See what details I get when I can't watch??!!

I didn't see any replies to this but YES! She did. It was in a rather unfortunate spot, too.

Dear God, let it be sweat.

I don't think a contest like The Voice really allows artists to be themselves fully, which is why some performances (from every contestant) seemed lacking.

So true. Between the busy production numbers and the limited song choices that get cleared, some people just don't come across well.

On the subject of Jordis, I think she would have had a much better chance if she chose team Christina.

All the contestants would have had a much better chance on Team Christina this season, lol. The other 3 coaches were a hot mess.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

He's a perfectly fine singer if you're looking for a Vegas lounge act, but I don't see him ever cracking the ranks of the real music industry.

This is kind of my problem with the show. I'm not sure they are actually looking for a "star".

klarsonovsky

klarsonovsky

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

Having slogged through all these comments, the majority opinion seems to be that Adam is a douche for expressing a preference, Cee Lo is admired for expressing a preference (although his explanation was disappointing) and Christina copped out by NOT expressing a preference.

Personally, I prefer the judges to take a stand. The team aspect and coaches influence are the major elements of this show's structure-- I'm pretty sure there are other singing shows on the air that rely exclusively on viewer voting.

But I really don't get why Adam is being excoriated for favoring the teammate he prefers to advance, when Cee Lo did the same thing. Yes, Katrina got the popular vote. That's the POINT of giving the judges half the voting power. Look at it this way:

Based on past popular votes, all 4 coaches had a reasonable expectation that their male contestants would get the majority of audience votes.

Blake and Christina decided they were fine with that, and declined to intervene. You could say they had equal faith in both contestants, or you could say they didn't want to look mean. Either way, they both ended up with finalists for whom they weren't willing to stick their necks out.

Cee Lo wanted Juliet and had the expectation that Jamar might win the popular vote. So he awarded his points to ensure he got the finalist he wanted regardless.

Adam wanted Tony and had the expectation Tony would take the audience vote, but hedged his bets just in case. In the end, he ended up in the position Cee Lo thought he'd be in, of advancing a finalist who lost the popular vote.

When you think about it, Adam's 60/40 was giving props to Katrina (and the possibility that she could get the majority vote, which she did), whereas Cee Lo's 60/40 assumed Juliet wouldn't get the majority vote (which she also did).

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

All the contestants would have had a much better chance on Team Christina this season, lol. The other 3 coaches were a hot mess.

And the coach who went into the live show with two frontrunners then eliminated one instantly and had the other fall out of contention to a middling opera star wasn't? At least Adam, Blake and Ceelo go into the finals with the people they wanted.

But I really don't get why Adam is being excoriated for favoring the teammate he prefers to advance, when Cee Lo did the same thing.

I don't think its so much that people think Adam's an ass as much as it's people either hate Tony or really loved Katrina. I agree with what adam did. Even if I do find congragulating someone that you just booted to be a bit douchebaggish.
Personally I prefer the judges to use the power. You'd figure Blake would learn his lesson about leaving the powewr in America's hands, esp after what they did to him on the first live show.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Having slogged through all these comments, the majority opinion seems to be that Adam is a douche for expressing a preference, Cee Lo is admired for expressing a preference (although his explanation was disappointing) and Christina copped out by NOT expressing a preference.

I have no problem whatsoever with the judges expressing a preference in their performers. Cee Lo did, as you've said, but his preference was based on the performances they gave the night before and he thought Juliet was the better of the two. It pained him to make that choice.

Adam on the other hand, chose Tony because he likes him more. THAT is why I think he's a douche. The show is called 'The Voice' not 'The Bromance'. If he thought Tony had done the better job I'd have been able to live with that, but that wasn't the case. I'm also not convinced that he didn't choose Tony as his favourite simply to piss Christina off. He also admitted multiple times that Katrina wasn't his favourite, so each week she had to overcome the fact that her judge didn't really support her. The irony of her thanking Adam for believing in her last night was hard to take.

I'm glad she took America's vote, I hope it sticks in Adam's craw. At least now he has the dubious distinction of being the first judge with a finalist America didn't choose.

Edited by summitsw, May 3, 2012 @ 4:53 PM.

citigirl

citigirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

{Adam} also admitted multiple times that Katrina wasn't his favourite, so each week she had to overcome the fact that her judge didn't really support her. The irony of her thanking Adam for believing in her last night was hard to take.

And the fact that Adam kept groaning about how awful his team was. When it became clear that Adam had eyes only for Tony, I felt really bad for Katrina. Again, I didn't mind that Adam chose Tony, there just appeared to be something dismissive about the way he treated Katrina and others (Pip?). If Mathai had been in Katrina's place on Tuesday night, I don't think Adam would have given the same speech.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by citigirl, May 3, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

To be fair to Adam he bought her all the way to the semis despite the fact that he had multiple chances to boot her. Even if he didn't like her, I don't think he did her wrong.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

No, Pico, as a coach I don't think Christina was a hot mess. As a strategist? Certainly. But every one of her singers left this competition with at least one performance that showcased them in their best light and she affected legit change in a few of their voices/performance style. I can't say the same for the other eliminated singers from the other teams.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

As an aside, Adam Levine started his own record label this year. I wonder if he will end up wanting to sign anyone from the show or his team that doesn't win.

CCee

CCee

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Adam on the other hand, chose Tony because he likes him more. THAT is why I think he's a douche. The show is called 'The Voice' not 'The Bromance'. If he thought Tony had done the better job I'd have been able to live with that, but that wasn't the case. I'm also not convinced that he didn't choose Tony as his favourite simply to piss Christina off. He also admitted multiple times that Katrina wasn't his favourite, so each week she had to overcome the fact that her judge didn't really support her. The irony of her thanking Adam for believing in her last night was hard to take.

I never got the impression that Adam saying he liked Tony better only had to do with friendship or "Bromance". Yes, he used that term, but I always got the impression he just liked Tony better as an artist, which seemed apparent from the blind auditions where he went on about him a bit with CeeLo after Tony left the stage. All the focus on Adam's rambling speech takes away from what we've known since basically the beginning which is he liked Tony's music from the start, and it wasn't just because of a "bromance" that he chose Tony as his pick for the finals.

It's really too bad that Tony hasn't really shown what he normally does except for his blind audition because after the audition most seemed to like him. I have to wonder if it has been Adam pushing for the shift in style or Tony feels he has to change to make his performances more of a show for tv.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

redbudrose, Adam signed Matt Morrison from Glee as one of his first acts so I could see him signing someone like Tony Vincent. I hope he'll sign Tony Lucca since he likes him so much.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

He also admitted multiple times that Katrina wasn't his favourite, so each week she had to overcome the fact that her judge didn't really support her.

To be fair, he's said that when he first collected his team, Katrina wasn't his favorite, but she has proved him wrong, that she truly is the voice (I think he even said hat verbatim but can't remember which night). So although it was a back handed compliment, he meant it as a compliment to her growth. Plus, as been mentioned before, she wouldn't have been the final two on his team if he didn't believe in her and her talent.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Personally I prefer the judges to use the power.

I couldn't agree more. Regardless of their reasons no matter how stupid it can be, I prefer if they exercise that power. That's what makes it interesting as to whether or not that coach is in tune with the audience that he's trying to capture for his act. This is all in theory of course because if The Voice is sharing the same voting audience/demographic as Idol, it might not be a good indicator for future success.

Like I said before, the show is about the coaches as much as it is about the contestants (which also explains why each coach must have one representative in the finals). It may be called "The Voice" but it doesn't need to be tied with its title literally. If that was the case, might as well make it a radio show. The blind auditions sifts through those "voices". But having a voice isn't enough to carry someone to success. That's where the coaches come in. They find ways to "package" those voices that would attract the mainstream audience. Part of the fun (or frustration) is seeing whether these coaches really know what to do with their acts and whether these acts are willing to compromise or stay "true" to themselves. This journey is quite quick compared to the slower pace of Idol which is probably why The Voice does not shy away from getting working musicians (who have not yet gained mainstream success) to their shows compared to the "amateurs" of Idol. In theory, amateurs would probably do better in Idol's setup. The experienced musicians are expected to learn or adjust faster in The Voice.

It's a take it or leave it setup. You may or may not like it but I prefer they keep it that way. I want these karaoke shows to at least have some distinction from each other.

Edited by Ehyeh, May 3, 2012 @ 6:32 PM.

hincandenza

hincandenza

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

cosmom: While unfortunate, Juliette's tale of record company woes does not make her unique and I am not sure her "luck" is any worse than anyone else trying to make it in that industry. The revolving door of A&R reps seems pretty universal and a lot of artists are going to get caught up in the residual system flush.

I think the point of unhearted's story is that when you hear "Had 5 record deals" that doesn't mean "Got plenty of chances and just wasn't good enough", especially given the all-too-common story of "Fire your band" and then getting 'fired' yourself. The record industry is stupid, archaic, corrupt, and pointless. Honestly, whether it's AI or "The Voice", I don't believe any real talents these days should or would go for the "televised prize of a record deal"; it's a relic of a time when we imagined getting a record deal meant insta-fame and insta-riches, and... it doesn't. The dirty secret of how the record industry makes its sausage, and how almost all artists are often bankrupted by contracts of questionable legality and unquestionable lack of ethics... this is so well known that real talents are choosing to make their own path. And the smartest thing is to redefine success from the model that says you are either filling arenas, or are a failure, to a model that says "If I write and sing my songs, and can cultivate the '1,000 true fans', I will have really made it in the music business".

As people have pointed out about Tony, he acts like this is his chance at a "big break" and... dude, shut up. You have a full time job doing what you love, and can support your family with touring, royalties, etc. And... you're worried about the fact you aren't as famous or MTV Cribs! levels of rich as your fellow MMC alumni?! Git offa my TV, asshole.

These shows are a fun diversion, but that's it; it's the rare contestant who has a genuine voice- by which I mean, writes and sings their own music, and isn't just a glorified karaoke competition. I want a show that has people doing all original music of their own, from the get go... but the idiots at the production companies think no one would ever watch new faces sing new songs. I think they're completely wrong, but Top 40 mindsets die hard, and that's what the "record industry" is all about: payola and Top 40 manufacturing.

And that's why I still smart from Adam's stupid, stupid, stupid decision (which we now know was influenced by his desire to remove any obstacles to his "chosen one" getting to the finals) to cut Rebecca Loebe in the battle rounds last year. She was a lifelong musician, a Berklee grad, and an original singer-songwriter with a back catalogue and an adulthood spent touring and trying to bring her music to people (and she was REALLY gorgeous to boot, IMO), who totally wow'ed me and others with her haunting audition song. So naturally, she was paired up with a boring yet creepy "American Idol"-esque auditioner, an alleged 'pre-med' student who had no real professional musical experience deciding to audition on a whim, and who also couldn't really sing. Excellent choice there, Levine.

Rebecca Loebe is the kind of person this show should be aching to have fill their rosters, but season 2 has shown they just want to end up on the same set of tracks that AI has been rolling down for years. We still has some contestants who are already "successes" in the music biz- such as Tony and Jermaine and of course Nosferatony- as well as those like Juliet and Jamar who are actively working in the business, but I suspect this show, if/as it continues, will winnow those out for generically telegenic "I can't believe you're ONLY sixteen!" or "You've only been singing SIX MONTHS!" style 'singers'.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

but I suspect this show, if/as it continues, will winnow those out for generically telegenic "I can't believe you're ONLY sixteen!" or "You've only been singing SIX MONTHS!" style 'singers'

Oh God I hope not, I especially like this show because they allow seasoned performers.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

'Nosferatony', LMAO! I still get weak at that. Poor Tony Vincent and his bizarre styling.

unhearted

unhearted

Just Tuned In

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

I think the point of unhearted's story is that when you hear "Had 5 record deals" that doesn't mean "Got plenty of chances and just wasn't good enough", especially given the all-too-common story of "Fire your band" and then getting 'fired' yourself. The record industry is stupid, archaic, corrupt, and pointless.

That was my point exactly, hincandenza! I agree with the rest of that paragraph too, but I didn't want to make the quote too long. The music industry is in dire need of change, and I think one of the really promising new ways to 'make it' is to manage your own career and somehow make the money flow directly from fan to artist. A good example of that is Amanda Palmer who just raised $464,277 (as of this moment) in 3 days on kickstarter, to finance her new album:

since i'm now without a giant label to front the gazillions of dollars that it always takes to manufacture and promote a record this big, i'm coming to you to gather funds so that i have the capital to put it out with a huge fucking bang. i think kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms like this are the BEST way to put out music right now - no label, no rules, no fuss, no muss. just us, the music, and the art.

Of course she has a huge following already so not everyone can raise crazy amounts like that, but there are definitely possibilities for artists on a smaller scale, through kickstarter or bandcamp (name your own price), donations, etc. To quote Amanda: We are the media! :) It's a lot of work though. I can understand artists wanting to try something like The Voice instead because it sounds like insta-success, but I too doubt the wisdom in that...

(Oh and cosmom, no need to apologize! I didn't take offense to your post, don't worry about it. Thanks for the welcome!)

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

As people have pointed out about Tony, he acts like this is his chance at a "big break" and... dude, shut up. You have a full time job doing what you love, and can support your family with touring, royalties, etc. And... you're worried about the fact you aren't as famous or MTV Cribs! levels of rich as your fellow MMC alumni?! Git offa my TV, asshole.

I think people project this on to him more than him acting this way.

I don't have a problem with a judge sending the person who has a chance to win to the finale. If the other person doesn't, then what is the point, and what does it matter? It's not strange that Adam thought that Tony was going to get the public vote since he has in the past, and Katrina was the last chance save the last two rounds. I hope big things happen for Katrina, she had my favorite voice of the top 8 but I don't begrudge Adam for sending her home. I', anxious to see what type of music she wants to put out.

Viajero

Viajero

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I want a show that has people doing all original music of their own, from the get go...

Now that is a show I could really get behind. And the sad thing is that the Voice has had several contestents in both seasons who could have done just that. But they won't let them play their own stuff even if they want to. In fact, they seem take it to the ridiculous extreme that they won't even let their finalists play their own stuff for their so called "original song" in the final.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

I want a show that has people doing all original music of their own, from the get go...

Yeah, there have been quite a few times when singing someone else's song holds an artist back and they'd have been better off singing their own. On the Aussie version of The Voice that happened in the blind auditions where the judges came close to hitting the button but the song wasn't a great fit. Then they had her sing one of her original songs and all loved it.

Melanie Dyer

I'd love to watch a show for singer/songwriters where the artist could avoid always being compared to the source material. It would also mean that crappy song choices by the judges wouldn't hold the artist back.

subscriber

subscriber

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

During one of those stupid backstage segments, Tony was spouting some of his usual cocky BS and then Chris gave a statement made of humility and modesty while Tony nodded. Now, I'm not sure if Mr. Roboto was sincere-everything he says sounds like it's preprogrammed and rehearsed-but at least he knew the right thing to say. I hope Tony is done in by his hubris.

I'm not sure I get this. Tony said two lines basically about moving past some edge and it feeling really weird, then Chris gave his thoughts and they went to Erin. So how is it "cocky BS" ?

Poetist

Poetist

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

I guess I can have some free time now that Jamar is off the show. Now, Juliette is good, but she is nowhere near Jamar's raw talent.

auralgami

auralgami

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Late to the party.

Team Adam: I liked Tony probably the most I ever had. That said, I still don't have a feeling for him as an artist and I wasn't in love with this song for him. I respect his performance, even if it's something I personally wouldn't buy. I thought Katrina did great except that she could have taken a recording of Lauryn Hill and pressed 'play'. It was essentially Lauryn Hill karaoke. Very good, but between Adam and Katrina there was nothing new brought to the table? Lauryn Hill's version was a big deal because it was respectful of Roberta Flack with her own spin. I don't understand the decision to have Katrina mindlessly clone another artist at all.

Objectively, I think Adam wanted to back who he thought was the winner. So I understand his vote split. It infuriates me, though, because Katrina survived two eliminations and finally got the audience vote only to have Adam back Tony. Adam wants to win. In the greater scheme of things, though, I think this is a travesty. I don't think Tony will win the whole thing. He already has his audience. Katrina, in my opinion, did a better job and could make more of the opportunity. For Adam to hose this is wrong on just about every level, and the reasons he gave are just icing on the insult. Also, I can't help the feeling that if you're female, you should stay the hell away from Adam as a coach.

One last thing about Tony:

If people don't like Jason Mraz/ Matt Nathanson/ Gavin Degraw type of music, then I could see why Tony wouldn't be appealing to the masses

If I had heard any of this, I would so totally be Team Tony. Maybe this is what he does "in real life", but on the show, it has been nothing even remotely close to this.

Team Blake: Snore. Erin chose the wrong song and it sunk. Jermaine was given the wrong song and it was okay, but nothing special. For whatever reason, his solo songs tend to be keyed high for his voice, which gives them an unpleasant pinched sound. I like Jermaine so much better in the group numbers, where he seems both relaxed and more expressive and it falls in a comfortable range for his voice. Blake may be happy Jermaine chose him, but Blake's coaching is doing Jermaine absolutely no favors. I have no idea how he's winning popular votes.

I honestly don't care about either one at this point. They've had time to show us what they've got and that they want to win. I like Erin, but she seems stuck in her personal issues (which, understandable, but part of the business is leaving that off the stage, and Without You is the absolute last song to do that) and Jermaine can't escape Blake's awful mismanagement. If he can't get songs that show off his voice in the proper register, he's not going to do anything worthwhile as a recording artist.

Team Xtina: Chris Mann chose the safest possible song. I have to thank The Voice: I have always wanted to hear the accompaniment for Ave Maria much more than the singer (sarcasm). Chris was technically great, but again -- I didn't have chills. Part of that's the audio mix, which had his volume too low. But it was also self-indulgent and unambitious. Rather than show us something amazing or special, he offered up a crowd-pleaser that everyone and their mom would vote for. On the one hand, can't blame him. On the other hand, boring, predictable, blah.

Lindsay had my favorite performance of the night. This, to me, was everything Katrina's was not. I liked it better than Bon Iver's, even though I know that not everyone will agree. Smart choice, sung well, and played to her strengths. Loved it. I would buy an album of it -- I hope she gets to make one. I am disappointed that Xtina didn't back Lindsay, because whatever album Chris Mann farts out will get more publicity and television time.

Team Cee-Lo: Both great performances. Jamar's suffers in comparison, and that comes down to song choice. It was a good pick for him, but not nearly as dramatic. Juliet was just on, too. My favorite performance from her. I feel bad for Jamar, but it looks like Cee-Lo picked Juliet and Jamar just let him.

After the results, I'm kind of meh on the final. Lindsay and Katrina are gone. I guess I'm really only curious at what Jermaine will do, as it could (finally) be great, even though the track record there suggests it won't. I think so long as she has a song she can work with, it's Juliet's to lose, especially with the guys splitting the vote-for-the-males vote.

Last Year's Contestants: Snooze. Snooze. WTF. Snooze. I was looking forward to Dia, but did not find the tune catchy, as I'd heard it described. It actually struck me as weird, as if the lyrics of "Everybody Hurts" were sung to the tune of "Shiny Happy People". (I watched the video WileyCoyote -- thanks for the link -- and it was miles better.) Would have been better with more Dia and less unintelligible and listless rap. Vicci and Javier's songs were terrible, sleep-inducing affairs. Vicci was trying and I love her voice, but the song and sharing the stage with Cee-Lo were doing her no favors. Javier's song was the most derivative drivel and a complete waste of his talent. Beverley didn't even get her own song, but made up for it by screaming with Cyndi Lauper. That wasn't good music, but it was great TV.

Wow. All of last year's blood, sweat and tears produced that? Suddenly I care even less about the finale. Maybe Lindsay and Katrina are better off. Escape while you can!

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I'd love to watch a show for singer/songwriters where the artist could avoid always being compared to the source material. It would also mean that crappy song choices by the judges wouldn't hold the artist back.

You missed it, it was Nashville Star, original recipe. Contestants had to sing, play their own instruments, and write their own songs.

I don't remember from last year, but do the final four get to perform twice?

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Yes once by themselves and once with their mentors. Hopefully Adam does more then play the drums this time. As an added bonus on tuesday they'll sing with some of the eliminated contestants on tuesday.

Jak07

Jak07

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Jamar was on Ellen today. He was very upbeat and sang It's My Life.

emziez

emziez

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Clip of Jamar on Ellen

He is like a human sunbeam. Really sweet toward her, and short, positive mention of Cee-Lo.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

What a sweet man, it is easy to be cynical about these people, but Jamar is the "real deal" IMO, he sounded in good voice, I hope that good stuff happens to him.

Onelasttime

Onelasttime

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

You missed it, it was Nashville Star, original recipe. Contestants had to sing, play their own instruments, and write their own songs.

I don't remember from last year, but do the final four get to perform twice?

Bravo had a show with song writers last season too. It didn't seem to take off. Jewel was one of the judges along with the woman who used to be on AI (not Paula Abdul).

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I wasn't upset that the final four includes Juliet instead of Jamar until I watched that video. He is a beautiful soul indeed. He is genuinely so so happy to be where he is. Pretty awesome.