The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18085 replies to this topic

binturite

binturite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I've enjoyed Katrina from the beginning so no surprise that I liked her tonight. Though I thought the band being too loud was pretty glaring with her. Her voice is pretty big so she should have been able to have been heard but I was having some issues.

ITA. Over the last two performance weeks, House Bandzilla has been giving American Idol's original Bandzilla a run for it's money in the drowning out singers competition.

It makes no sense to me that these talented musicians, and I'm assuming, professional sound engineers almost seem to be working together to weaken rather than enhance/support some of the singers' performances.

I know this show isn't really about the voice. But I sure wish TPTB or somebody would at least tell HB to push down the volume so that I could hear all of the singers more clearly.

And I wouldn't exactly break down in tears if they also did away with the groups of unnecessary, non-singing human clutter moving about on the stage when the actual competitors are trying to do their thing.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

I'm surprised, but I'd save Pip over Tony (I assume Pip will probably be in the bottom though, not Tony). Tony's song was a poor choice, imo, and his voice was just kind of shouty. My guess is he over-practiced.

Maybe Christina is so negative because she hates that Mousketeer photo of her they always show before he sings. I know I would.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

The best move that Ceelo made as a coach was stripping down Juliet's performance. No dancers, no back up just her and fog Seriously it was an amazing collaboration. I loved the look of Shock on her face as each compliment came in. So coot. That being said, I kind of like the spectacles that take place sometimes. If its good enough you can sometimes mask your bad singers. (Ceelo almost pulled it off with Erin). It also makes for a better viewing experience I think.

Song choice is interesting. On one hand, yea you should do what got you to the show. On the other hand, you don't want to get too boring and sing the same thing over and over. That's the best way to turn the audience off.

Was Adam not there with Pip when Pip was practicing? Why would Adam be shocked at the direction he took when Adam could have told him at practice what Adam was looking for.

Edited by Pico, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

txfem74

txfem74

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Katrina - I like her but think going first will really hurt her as people will forget her. It seemed like she was too often drowned out by the music; hard to really appreciate her performance.

Cheesa - Love the song but don't care much for her. She's a good karaoke singer but that's it.

Tony L - Wanted to love it but found it forgettable - bad song choice. I don't think Christina was wrong in her assessment but thought she put it more harshly than she would have anyone else. I did think saying that people would only vote for him because of JT's endorsement was a little low; made her previous criticisms come off as petty.

Kim - I would like to officially ban Adele songs from singing competitions. I've yet to hear anyone on the singing shows actually do the songs well. That said, it wasn't terrible but unless you can nail the song perfectly or change it up significantly, it doesn't work.

James - I just hit fast forward. I can't even listen to more than 10 seconds without cringing.

Juliet - I thought she did a good job but feel it was way overpraised. There's just something about her I don't care for, but she's one of the better ones.

Mathai - Again just hit fast forward after about 20 seconds. Her voice is too babyish.

Tony V - I like him but it was a terrible song choice. Good but nothing overly memorable.

Karla - Yikes. I love that song but I don't even know wth that was tonight. I could barely hear her and she just looked uncomfortable and awkward.

Erin - Didn't even give it 10 seconds. I cannot stand her and I pray she goes away very, very soon.

Pip - He needs to loosen up. I think he's a good singer but was just too wound tight. Again, not a great song choice.

Jamar - Good performance, definitely benefit from having the final spot. Ended the night on a high note. One of the best performances of the night.

Overall, I think most of the singers were hampered by bad song choices and being drowned out by the band and the audience. They need to work on the mix as the viewer shouldn't have to struggle to hear the singers. Some good performances but none that hit it out of the park for me. Based on all their performances to date and in no particular order, I'd pick Jamar, Katrina, Juliet, Tony V, and Pip.

kjett

kjett

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Was Adam not there with Pip when Pip was practicing? Why would Adam be shocked at the direction he took when Adam could have told him at practice what Adam was looking for.

In Adam's defense, he did tell Pip in rehearsals that he wanted the song to be a little gritty and not broadway-smooth. But yeah-- he made it kind of sound like Pip chose it all on his own.

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Tony Lucca is not my favorite, but I voted for him mainly because I thought Christina was such an ass to him. It seemed as if she was saying "I made it but you didn't". His little family seem so sweet and I don't see how she could be so cruel. It's okay to be honest but she was mean. She was even nicer to the Egyptian Warrior Princess than she was to Tony! I loved this show last year because the coaches weren't mean like the Idol judges, but tonight Coach Christina reminded me of those judges.

I also thought the song choices were really bad for most of the performers. Adam and CeeLo didn't do a great job of helping with that. I thought it was ridiculous that Adam wanted Pip to be gritty or tough or whatever with his song. It's Pip! He has a beautiful voice but he's never going to be tough acting. I thought the coaches should've played to their teams strengths more.

The band was also SO LOUD. When I went to iTunes and listened to some of the people I thought I didn't like, they sounded really good.

I wish I'd watched Dancing with the Stars tonight instead.

Edited by pathfinder, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:49 PM.

lesfull

lesfull

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I really felt that Christina's comment to Tony Lucca were out of line. Is he the best singer on the show? No. But he is faaaaaaaar from the worst (hello Raelynn and Erin Martin!). Her criticism to Tony was brutal and almost felt personal. No way were her comments to him just being honest or in line with other comments she made to performers.

I hate to go on about this but I feel like she was really out of line, not because she shouldn't give criticism, but because her comments were in no way constructive and were really humiliating and belittling to a guy who hasn't been blessed with the same success she was able to have from the Mickey Mouse Club. Are we really trying to say that Britney Spears is some musical genius more worthy of fame? Ugh. And I'm not even a fan of his!

I agree with others who noticed that she really seemed to focus on Adam's team and making negative comments about all of them in some way and she was pretty light weight when it came to Cee Lo's team.

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I agree with others who noticed that she really seemed to focus on Adam's team and making negative comments about all of them in some way and she was pretty light weight when it came to Cee Lo's team.

It makes you wonder exactly what's going with Adam and Christina?

Somewhere tonight I read the funniest comment about the Christina "Diva-ness" tonight, they said that perhaps Christina can teach them all how to sing the national anthem (paraphrased).

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Regarding Christina and her critique of Tony L; she said something to the effect of "you have me, you have Justin..." I took that as "you are associated with me, you're associated with Justin. It pisses me off that you might win based on an association YOU used to have with ME. YOU are NOT one of US." A big assumption, I know but that's how I took it.

Juliet - When I first heard about The Voice, THAT is what I thought the show would be about. Performances like hers. Performances that make you stop what you're doing and go to the TV to see who the heck is singing like that. Dayum, I never noticed her before but she definitely has my attention (and votes) now.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I thought this group was much better than last week - I'm even going to download Juliet's song. But oddly, I thought the judges were harsher than they were last week, but way too easy on Erin. Shocker.

I'm disappointed in Team Adam, he's a good coach but none of them blew me away. Kim was good, but she has a connection problem I think, and any Adele song is too easy to compare to the original and will never surpass it. And I thought it was weird that Katrina, who sang OK, was all styled to look like Adele. Karla's was a terrible song choice, and she doesn't seem strong enough to hold her ground with some of these singers. Mathai? I feel like we've seen it a million times - it's OK, but forgettable. Ditto for Pip, and sadly for Tony Lucca, who I was hoping would justify his spot on the team over the other guy last week. I do think Christina was a bit too harsh on him - honesty and constructive criticism are fine, but there was some too personal stuff in there.

Somehow Ceelo had the best team by far - Juliet was amazing, and I thought Jamar was really great too. I get that Blake doesn't like the production/spectacle stuff and I agree with that, but come on, at least say something about the guy's singing too! I'm tired of him whining about the weird stuff on stage. More and more I think he doesn't have nearly as much to offer as the other judges, so instead he complains about that and that he doesn't know the songs.
Chessa and Tony were good, but definitely second tier after Jamar and Juliet.
I can't stand that James kid. I hate his voice, that type of singing, and the super cheesy boy band-ish "I'm so smooth" crap. I thought he was pretty awful.
But no one topped Erin, as expected. She barely SANG at all! It was about 30 seconds of notes, and 2 minutes of stupid posing. She's terrible, and not in a fun, love to hate kind of way, but in a how dare she be there when actually talented people have been sent home already way. I can't believe the judges went so easy on her too! Terrible!

escapingreality

escapingreality

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I think Christina was way over the line as well. The first part of what she said was fine if that's what she thinks -if she feels he is one-dimensional, fine, then she's just being honest. But to say the stuff after that like this competition should be about people voting for the best voice and not voting based on celebrity connections? Um, that's not HIS fault! If people are voting for him because Justin Timberlake tweeted about him, how is that his fault? If she's annoyed with Justin, she should take it up with him, not blame and humiliate Tony (and possibly cost him votes) right on the live show. And it's not like Tony is the only one getting nods from celebrities. Justin Bieber, Miranda Lambert, et al are all tweeting who they like.

Besides, people can vote for whomever they want, for whatever reason they want. It's not like the little girls voting for James Massone think he has the best voice, for example. Plus it came off like she was saying that the show shouldn't keep pimping the fact that he was in the Mickey Mouse Club - and we all know he could've mentioned it once and they took it and ran with it. That's how the show is and he has no control over what they do with that info or how many times they mention it. Jamar is gonna be their HIV+ former drug addict, Katrina's their girl in a cubicle, James is their boy wanting to get out of the autobody shop, Tony Lucca is the former Mickey Mouse Club boy. That's how the show loves to set things up.

I like Christina but I really feel like she had no right to comment about Tony like she did tonight. Way mean-spirited and over the top.

I also agree with others that the music has been way too loud in the live rounds, the song choices have sucked (especially tonight's), everybody needs to stop singing Adele (especially right now when she's so popular and overplayed on the radio), and I'd like to see the singers sing what they are best at...or at least what they are pretty good at.

I was so psyched for tonight, thinking I'd be loving some of these performances (some of my faves were on tonight) and buying them on itunes, but there seriously wasn't one that I loved.

Edited by escapingreality, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Babyblackcat, I completely agree with you about Erin. I also think its shameful that CeeLo sent the Shields Brothers or anyone home to keep her.

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Edited because I chant type on iPad.

Edited by pathfinder, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Juliet is kicking butt on iTunes right now. Currently at #44.
James Massone is #136.
Maithai is #138.
Tony Lucca is #144.
Jamar is #148

Edited by kelbel, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

On the iTunes rock chart Juliet is #1 and Tony Lucca is #3. Good for them!

Edited by pathfinder, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:33 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

No way were her comments to him just being honest or in line with other comments she made to performers.

I think they were absolutely her just being honest. She has been very honest with most of the performers, and I love it. I agreed with almost every single thing she said tonight. It's the kind of honest critique I'd like to see more of on these shows.

Frankly, Tony bores the fuck out of me, anyway. I really hope he doesn't get through because he knows people. I have no problem with Timberlake tweeting about him, just as I have no problem if that's what Miranda was doing with RaeLynn. I just hope that isn't the deciding factor for either of them. Adam should take his team out and get them exposure, like Christina and Blake did. I just don't want to see Tony advance in the show because of people he used to know, and I think that was Christina's point. Tony was karaoke personified tonight, and I was even harsher than Christina, so I was glad she said what she did. The song bores me to begin with, and he just took the boring to a whole new level.

The only one I really enjoyed was Juliet. I like Erin when she does her thing. I just felt like she didn't do her thing tonight. That's what bugged me about her performance. Since I thought most of these people sucked tonight, though, I'd love to see her continue and get back to what she does. Twitter exploding with outrage would make me laugh, but I really just like her usual gig. CeeLo didn't do anything good for her tonight. I don't think either of them have a chance in hell of winning over what he calls "naysayers", but he's risking losing the interest of those of us who do like her.

I enjoyed last week so much more. This one put me to sleep.

It seemed to me that christina had a vendetta against adams team in general. It appeared that she criticized all of them in one way or the other. Come to think of it, Juliet was the only one she didnt criticize.

She did have criticism for everyone except Juliet, which would say to me that she does not have anything particularly against Adam's team. Half the people who sang were on CeeLo's team, and she was critical of them, too. It seemed that she saw a whole bunch of suck followed by a whole bunch of boring, just like I did, and she commented on it appropriately, IMO.

Edited by BDArizona, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

I agree with Blake about the distractions during Tony V. He looked like he was a parody of Hitler up there.

Regarding Erin; Oh Cee-Lo, I'm sorry but a naysayer I remain.

I think the girl whose name I can't remember is going home tomorrow. On Adam's team, long hair, lost her breath a lot, had a mole on her forehead...her.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

I'm not going to condone Christina's words but I also don't think what she said was unfounded. Tony has always been Adam's heavyweight, and from what she saw tonight, I'm going to guess she can't see why. Also, I bet the judges know and hear a lot more than we do backstage, online, through producers, etc. Just like Cee-Lo kept mentioning twitter backlash tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if on set there was a lot of rumblings about who was supporting who, who had it in the bag, who was in the lead, etc.

The JT endorsement may not seem like a big deal, but if I were her, it would be a big deal to me. I'm not saying Tony Lucca isn't talented, because clearly he is in his own right; and even though I hate to to admit it, I think I would peeved if someone I knew in the very distant past was getting votes simply by association with me. And even more peeved if they weren't even on my team! I don't agree with how she called him out for getting the celebrity endorsement -- I thought it was low -- but I do think that her actual critique of him -- how he was one-dimensional and needed to open next week were spot on. Again, not justifying her behavior, but just saying there is likely more about the situation than we know.

All the Christina/Tony drama aside, Christina's critiques are harsh, but at the same time, she's honest, and I respect that. The only person she got out of her seat for tonight was Juliet, and for me, Juliet was the only person who made me even think of getting up out of my seat for as well. Blake might be stuck on the overproduction of the set, and Adam stuck on the voice, but Christina and Cee-Lo at least see the big picture. If any of these people are truly going to have legitimate careers in the industry, they're going to have to fix their pitch issues, work on their stage presence, mesh well with the production, be willing to be experimental, and really own every moment on stage. I get that this is a competition, but it's much easier to hand out empty compliments than it is to tell people the truth to their faces, especially on national TV.

ETA: I also believe that her soft critiques on Erin and Karla are because, let's be honest -- neither of those girls has a chance at winning. Tony, on the other hand, does have a chance and a strong following.

Edited by agentAA08, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:04 AM.

lesfull

lesfull

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

She did have criticism for everyone except Juliet, which would say to me that she does not have anything particularly against Adam's team. Half the people who sang were on CeeLo's team, and she was critical of them, too. She saw a whole bunch of suck followed by a whole bunch of boring, just like I did, and she commented on it appropriately, IMO.

I think there is a difference between saying, you did the best with the song you had(which I believe was her comment to Erin) and I hope people don't vote for you because you are one-dimensional and are riding on the fame of other Mickey Mouse Club members(which is pretty much what she said to Tony).

If you like Erin. more power to you, but I thought she was a train wreck (I always think she is a train wreck)and the criticism she got was a soft ball compared to the brutal beating Tony got. Again, not really a fan of his but it bothers me that he got eviscerated on national television like that.

I did like Juliet the best, with Jamar a very close second and am surprised that Cee Lo's team is the strongest. Did not think that before. The only thing with Juliet is that I can hear how damaged her voice is when she talks and it makes me cringe. She is going to lose her range if she isn't more careful.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Kim has a great voice, but that Adele song left me wanting...Adele. Seriously, people have got to stop singing her stuff, as 99.9% of the time they can't win.

I agree but I'll put Park Jimin in that 0.1% of people who can get away with it.

I almost feel tempted to buy Juliet's version of Roxanne to figure out what I missed because why her voice was okay (though she squeaks and breaks a lot) but I absolutely HATED HATED that arrangement. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when someone slows a song down. 99% of the time I hate it.

Also to me Roxanne has that distinctive guitar and drums sound and we don't get that until halfway through because the way she's singing doesn't fit that beat.
ETA I did find it on youtube and I'm glad because I cannot stand that arrangement.

Also i agree with Lessfull she's going to lose her voice. She puts so much stress into the way she sings her voice is cracking constantly it's fine for songs like that but she won't last unless she can tone it down.

As for Xtina and Tony. Jesus.. I agree it was far from his best but at the same time, the way she said it. "We go back a long way, but you're one dimensional... There are better voices out there etc.. I do think the support that Justin posted pissed her off in someway, but it's not like he's the only one, NPH is a friend of Tony Vincent and I know there are others.

I have a feeling something like that is just gonna backfire.

Edited by Marq DeCarabas, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

OK, is it crazy that Christina is fast becoming my favorite judge? A lot of her comments were spot-on. And even Cee-lo’s comments made sense to me tonight. Blake used to be one of my favorites, but he’s just so reliably useless now.

Here are my rankings for the evening. I fully expect all my favorites to end up in the bottom:

• Jamar (he’s the one I was most looking forward to, and he didn’t disappoint: great performance helped by a perfect song choice)
• Juliet (the growling’s getting gimmicky, but I like what she did with the song… it helps that it was a stripped down version that actually showcased the vocals)
• Tony Vincent (the song’s kind of low-key (I totally get Christina’s criticism), but I’m just now realizing what an amazing voice he has – and he’s obviously a seasoned performer; bonus points for cuteness (which I also just noticed for the first time))
• Mathai (redeemed herself from that awful battle round)
• Katrina (love her voice; thought she deserved better critiques)
• Chessa (surprisingly ok)
• Chaka Khan (not really my thing, but can’t deny the voice)
• Tony Lucca (don’t find his voice all that special, but I still didn’t think he deserved the harsh criticism from Christina)
• Pip (forgettable)
• Karla (I appreciate her taking a risk, but this was a step down from her battle round (which made me take notice); she seemed out of breath for much of it)
• James Massone (sigh… he’s not going to go away, is he?)
• Erin (uh… the golden chariot, Cleopatra get-up and back-up dancers were kinda fun; not a total trainwreck – and I actually think the song sort of suited her voice – but still bottom of the barrel)

rth3

rth3

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

Tony Lucca should just bust this out on the show: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gE5geu0NOUs ;)
Ok kidding, but I do think the songs he's been singing since his audition aren't helping him much. I thought he did great tonight, though he probably would've been better with another song choice. If christina left it with what she said with the 1-dimensional comment.. fine.. but bringing up the celebrity thing was uncalled for. I think she was just afraid that if she didn't say anything, people would blindly vote for him based on his connection. It happens, but it's not really his fault. She should've just focused on helping him improve, not take a jab at his credibility. meh.

With that said... I really hope he makes it through and brings something awesome to the table next week (or the week after?). I want to see him with an instrument again, but it seems like the show is really iffy about the performer having instruments, and much rather the band play (to me anyways).

I'm with Blake... not a fan of all these over the top production stuff, but then again, I like seeing musicians with instruments, so that's probably why.

escapingreality

escapingreality

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

As for Xtina and Tony. Jesus.. I agree it was far from his best but at the same time, the way she said it. "We go back a long way, but you're one dimensional... There are better voices out there etc.. I do think the support that Justin posted pissed her off in someway, but it's not like he's the only one, NPH is a friend of Tony Vincent and I know there are others.

I have a feeling something like that is just gonna backfire.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet he's solidly in the Top 3 vote-getters after her comments. Hell, even if I hated him I would've thrown him 10 votes after her uncalled for nastiness. Again - her "one-dimensional" comment - fine by me if that's her honest feeling. But the second part of what she said - SO not his fault and SO hateful. I try soooo hard to like her but when her true colors shine through...ugh, she's just so mean-spirited.

It's funny too, because one of her very early-on interviews I watched back when she was first super popular really stuck with me all these years. It was a long interview with her and her Mom - I want to say it was on Oprah but I'm not sure. Anyway it was all about how bullied she was in school, and how she even moved schools once or twice to get away from it. It just surprises me how nasty she can be to some of these singers when she was bullied herself growing up. There's a big difference between constructive criticism/honesty and being condescending, rude, and being mean just to be mean.

Viajero

Viajero

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

I thought tonight’s show was pretty bad overall, actually worse than last week. But at the same time, Juliet and Jamar really did give by far the best performances so far.

My ranking for Ceelo’s team is fairly clear cut except at the top:

1. Juliet and Jamar (can’t really pick between them)
2. Tony Vincent
3. Cheesa
4. James
5. Erin Martin.

Cheesa actually did a lot better than I expected. Erin was a total train-wreck and I have no idea why they keep pushing James on us. I thought he was awful. So I’d send these last two home.

The real problem was with Adam’s team, where none of them did all that good, though part of the problem may have been really poor song selection.

Within the utter mediocrity of his team’s performances, I did think that Tony Lucca was at the bottom. His vocals started okay but went steadily downhill, while I pretty much hated his performance - absolutely no relation to the song.

Of the rest, I guess I might give a very slight edge to Mathai as at least she kept it interesting. Kim did show her vocal chops to some extent, but her problem is that she did a song that has been done too often on these shows and I didn’t think her version was nearly as good as Vicci’s last season on this very show. Since Pip and Katrina have at least shown some potential in past shows, I would send Karla home along with Tony.

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Lots of shitty song choices tonight. Really terrible. Erin, Tony L. , Tony V, Pip, and Karla, spring to mind. Blah..
In my opinion, Tony L. wasn't murdered or treated hellishly by Christina. She wasn't heinous or horrid to him. She was just catty and bitchy. And right. He's been dull as dishwater the past few performances.

Danny Gokey's best friend, AKA Jamar, was good tonight. Or at least his song was. I'm not too sure about his voice though because I could barely hear it above the band. Cheesus cripes, I thought it was my TV or something, but I've seen a lot of people say that the singers are drowned out by the band and the backup singers.

Juliet was awesome. Best of the night for me.

And I'll admit it, I really enjoyed James' laid back performance and vocals. I want to smack the head band off his head, but other than that, I liked it. And I wish everyone at the show would stop with that "Girls, girls, girls" bullshit with him. It probably just makes men less likely to vote for him.

Finally - and this is totally random, I apologize - her legs looked...thick. I don't know what it was - maybe she was wearing heavy flesh-colored tights or something? I don't know, they looked like prosthetic legs and it was disturbing me.

Mm-hmm...those legs should not have been showcased like that.

Got my dose of Shevine/ Bladam tonight, so I'm happy.

Edited by montferrat, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:42 AM.

blackcat

blackcat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

Thank you Christina for having more balls than the 3 men you sit next to all put together when it comes to giving an honest critique. I didn't feel anything she said to anyone -- including Tony L -- was harsh for the sake of putting on a colorful phrase, or getting attention. She critiqued everyone that she was asked as a coach. No singer should get votes because of their connections, but because of what they do in their performance. She told Tony what he needed to do to improve. Yes, she called out the freebie votes he may be pulling because of his connections, same as she called out some of the other performances not because of the singer, but because of what their coach did or did not do for them with the song choice/arrangement. She basically was hitting points on multiple levels encompassing the total package of skills, presentation, BTS choices and the politics of the situation. I loved hearing what she had to say because it was right in line with what I thinking for the most part. If everyone she critiqued is able to set aside egos and actually listen and apply what she told them, they should be able to take it to the next level.

Tonight for me was boring except for the critiques. I can't even remember the song Tony L sang. It was unmemorable. Point: Christina. Last week I called in votes for 6 different performers, and downloaded 4 songs -- from both teams. This week gets nothing from me. Juliette and Jamar were the standout performances (although their songs are not my cup of tea and therefore I won't be buying from iTunes) and everyone else was forgettable. I am surprised by this, because I expected more for several of these singers.

I am glad that the song choices, etc got called out, because whether or not the coach assigned the song, they still approved it and worked on the arrangement. The coaches need to step up in playing to their singers' strengths. When I look at all four teams and think back on all the performances to include the auditions, I find myself thinking about who has shown the most growth from their auditions to now. Who has taken steps backwards. This is on the coaches, IMO. It is their job to help their team members grow and improve, even the ones who don't have a chance at winning. And there is only one team I have seen noticeable growth with, hands down. There is much attention and focus on the coaches; that is one of the big entertainment elements of this show. But -- who is really coaching? Vs. who is coasting? Which brings me back to the point at the top of my post: In my books Christina can critique as much as she wants within the realm of honesty -- she's earned that right as a coach who is proving herself good at her job, knowing what the heck she is talking about. Adam's right there behind her for me. Yes, he's made some stumbles with song choices, but at least he is owning up to the clear problems in his team's performances, which makes me think he'll be working on those issues to clean them up in the future.

Schemer20

Schemer20

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I have no interest in James at all, although Ceelo was smart to give him a "sweet" song and no doubt the teen fangirls will keep him alive. I can't help it though - every time I lay eyes on him, all I can think is I want him to stand up straight, sic a good hair stylist on him, and burn all his "Greased Lightning" letter jackets. I don't need the added reminder he's in high school. Sheesh.

Except, he's not in high school -- he's 23. So, make of that what you will. For me, it makes it all the more cringe-worthy.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

Another problem is that Christina Aguilera is a massive hypocrite. Look how offended she was getting last week when Adam actually was giving constructive criticism.

I hate when being an ass is "just being honest." You can be honest without being an ass. You can say something in general like "I hope America votes for the best talent and best voices." There was no need to single Tony out the way she did, with the harshness that she did, when he certainly has no control over who's voting for him.

I say all this as someone who was mad that Adam picked Tony over the smooth "Grenade" dude.

I do agree that there must be something going on behind the scenes, but then again, maybe not. I generally like Christina, but it's no secret that she's had a reputation for being hard to deal with for years now.

What I dislike the most is that it just felt like such an unnecessary heel to the throat of a guy who's just trying to make it, and who probably felt a bit of a kinship with her. I'm not saying that she has to lie about his performances, but no need to be so harsh.

The girl just has no self-awareness. I really hope he comes out next week with a "F you" type of song.

Also, I guess most importantly, it's the fact that it's not even like he's one of the weaker singers on this show. The guy is talented, so there's no need to give him the Sanjaya treatment.

ETA: I don't mind pissy judges if that's their role, but Christina is completely humorless. Usually mean judges can get by, because they have an element of humor, but Christina is completely lacking that.

Edited by QueenL, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:23 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

I strongly agree with everyone who is praising or defending Cristina's blunt honesty. She doesn't come off mean to me, she comes off honest in a way that could help the singers going forward. If the coaches blow smoke up everyone's asses, what's the use? If they are still pitchy, boring, or riding on the coattails of someone else's Twitter fans, they won't go anywhere after the show is over. But if they get honest, real input here, maybe they can use it to actually improve, which will serve them well not only if they stay on this show, but in the rest of their careers. And she gives the same kind of feedback to the other coaches, when she thinks their contestants aren't being served by the song choice or some other element that the coach is supposed to be responsible for. Maybe if I didn't see what she was saying, I'd be more offended, but I really don't think she's doing it to sabotage the other teams. She gave a standing O to Juliet, and even when she's giving bad news, like with Pip, she seems sad and sympathetic while she does it. Good for her! Last week she was humble enough to admit that Ashley did better when she picked her own song, too, so she's also willing to give the contestants their due. And she never seems drunk or high during the show, whatever the rumors are about her behavior off camera.

I love Adam's sweater. I was surprised by how lackluster his team sounded, though. I really expected more.

After tonight, I am assuming Jamar will win.

I think Juliet would be the best Janis Joplin impersonator ever, but I understand why she's had 5 record deals that didn't stick. She's a throwback. A high quality one, but a throwback nonetheless.

I love Kim's voice but I agree she shouldn't have tried to do Adele. It's almost arrogant, and is doomed to fail. Even if you do it as well as Adele, the question becomes: why bother, when Adele already did that? Still, I hope Kim makes it, because I am crazy about her voice and I want to hear her do something that will be KIM.

I also like Katrina and Karla, even though I think Karla had a terrible night. She sounded great in the rehearsal footage, though, before Adam asked her to be Bertha or whatever. I love her casual look, but that dress was also killer. I'm not sure what song would have been better for Katrina, but I'd like to hear her sing again and I hope we get to find out.

I think Pip is Broadway and trying to make him something else is just sad. But the problem is that Broadway doesn't have a solo career potential, so Adam tried to change him so he'd "be successful." As a result, he came off blah.

I was happy when Christina called Mathia a lounge singer because that's my problem with her, too. Her voice is okay, but she is too stylized and sounds and looks totally empty and fake, to me. It makes her come off full of herself for no reason, which is sad because I think she could sound okay if she didn't seem like she was just posing but had nothing to say. She could grow into it, but somehow I think right now she's had no life experience to draw on.

Tony Lucca does nothing for me and never has, but I take it on faith that other people like him for some reason.

If it was up to me, on Adam's team I'd save Kim, Karla, and Katrina, and I guess Pip for the 4th spot, in hopes he'd be allowed to do what he's good at and land a role somewhere that would appreciate his skill set. People voted for Chris Mann, so it's possible that less popular styles of singing have a following on The Voice and that's good news for Pip at least as far as maybe giving him another week on this particular competition.

I find Chessa so physically beautiful that it's hard for me to be objective about her actual singing this week. I liked it more than I thought I would, for sure.

I actually thought CeeLo was smart to give James that song, because I do think it will amp up his popularity with the fanbase that he appeals to. I also thought it showed that CeeLo took to heart some of the criticism he's received for being self-indulgent and enamored with his own spectacle. I thought James himself came off better than I anticipated in the beginning of the song but then he was so off pitch in the latter part that it actually hurt to listen to it. I suspect he couldn't hear himself over the band and the screaming audience, but still-- ouch.

Tony Vincent does even less for me than Tony Lucca. I found myself tuning out completely during his performance.

I think Erin M has shown that she's a better model than singer and I am certain she'll be going home, so that's that.

On CeeLo's team I would say Jamar and Juliet are obviously going through. I I'd personally save Chessa and would rather give James another go rather than Tony because I find him at least a little unpredictable, but I have no idea which of those 3 CeeLo prefers. I suspect the voting will either pick James or Tony. If Erin doesn't leave, I'll be sad for all concerned.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

I thought Kim did farely well with "Rolling in the Deep". I'm probably the only one here who really didn't like Juliet's performance tonight. I thought the beginning was too drawn out and , IDK, I just don't think she stands out that much. Maybe against some other blah perfomances tonight she does though.

I don't get the accolades for headband boy either. lol
That Tears for Fear song (Tony V.)was soooo overdone in it's day. Wasn't it the "Breakfast Club" song? So eighties!

I did think Jamar did pretty well.

After Christina called Tony L. a one-note, didn't she say to Adam that he was honest about one of her performers so then she would be about his? She should just be honest either way not based on what someone said about her performer. Oh well.

Edited by kelslamu, Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:29 AM.