The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18069 replies to this topic

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

While Miranda L didn't specifically say 'vote for RaeLynn', I went to twitter and checked, and on April 3, she said "Wake up call America! @RaeLynnOfficial is a badass!!!!" I would take that as a statement of support of some kind, since she didn't say anything about anyone else on Team Blake on that night.

I'm with those who are watching because of the coaches. The coaches set this apart from other shows as far as I know, because they are actually investing their time and knowledge in the singers, and I find their interactions with each other amusing. Christina calling out the other coaches and saying she was the only sober one the other night was funny.

Sydney0502

Sydney0502

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I agree with losing the audience. The audience is so distracting and in my opinion one of the worst annoyances on these type of shows. American Idol is o exception. First off, just like the band being too loud, what sense does it make for this show's producers to allow these immature "children" to banter and swarm to the stage like love sick "groupies". Many irritants..the noise over the judges comments, standing ovations for absoulte TRAIN WRECK performances (we can definitly see the objectivity and level of discerment the audience brings to this show), to the swarming the stage begging for these average at best performers to "touch them".

That brings me to my second largest annoyance, these wanna be stars all acting "as if" they are God's gift to the planet. I dont think any of them have earned the right to bless the audience with their touching their hands and throwing personal items off to them as if anything from them is to be "craved"..come on?

Erin and RaeLynn should have NEVER been invited to this show. Period. Anyone that considers these folk's artists or "unique" I definitly have missed my calling and should try out immediately for The Voice and American Idol as I am the next superstar and didnt even realize it. Off key, train wrecking melodies, pitchy, FLAT, SHARP, breathy, angry, neurotic...that's the qualities that make up "unique"????

Shocking, absolutely ShOCKING that these two are not only on there but "some" people are considering them as even contenders?????????????????

bklyndodger

bklyndodger

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Playing catch up on the show. Holy crap! Raelynn is a hot mess! Couldn't understand a damn thing she said! Blake has her playing that sassy card for all its worth. IMO, all the performances were meh because of strange song choices. The back up singer guy for Alicia Keyes doing "Living on a Prayer"? What was that.

I have to agree with Sydney0502the back up band is just too loud and overshadowing the "artists".

On a petty note, the females need to stop eating the microphones or the make up people need to stop with the red lipstick. After Katrina was finished (in a previous episode) her lipstick was all over her top lip and then when Raelynn finish in the live performance her lipstick was all over her chin. Would someone please give them a tissue?

Just watched episode from April 3rd. SO much filler and bullshit. Can we just get to the competition?

That group/band, whatever...that opened..that genre of music does not appeal to me at all (yes, I'm older than 40). The producers need to realize there is a diverse audience watching. So who will appear next week, Journey?

As of now, this season is getting nothing but a big eye roll from me.

Christina looks absolutely stunning and Cee Lo, he just amuses the hell out of me.

nextian

nextian

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Okay, last thing about Twitter and then I'll just let it go. I guess it just comes down to semantics, if someone doesn't come out and say vote for so and so then I don't see the problem with them expressing their support for certain performers (especially when they are not actually a judge). Obviously RaeLynn is the only country singer left in the competition and while she is certainly not my favorite, I am sure that many country fans (who are Miranda/Blake fans) are voting for her. I will say this, I am totally going to start following the other judges on twitter because I need to see who they talk about and what they say after this discussion.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Since Miranda's role on the show is done, I don't have a problem with her having a favorite and pulling for them on Twitter. Yeah, she's Blake's wife, but Blake is the one who still has an obligation to maintain some appearance of objectivity with his team. I wouldn't have a problem with Lionel Richie, Kelly Clarkson, Jewel, or any of the other mentors having a favorite they were talking up on Twitter now either. I think their job here is done and they can just be fans now.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I agree, I know they are celebrities with a ton of twitter followers and all of that but they are also people. If they like someone they should be able to say so. And personally I don't have a problem with them telling their fans to vote for a specific performer. If a fan goes out and vote for a singer without actually having listened to them sing that's on them.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

I still would disagree with any coach promoting a favorite via Twitter. Why? Because s/he already has a way to show favoritism (several ways) on the show.

Many Twitter fans of these coaches have no idea who the singers are because they aren't watching The Voice. But many would still want to "help" the coach promote someone by voting, buying a song, etc.

I wouldn't want to see someone lose because of massive voting by, for example, country fans, who've never actually heard RaeLynn sing, but know she's 17 and singing country--and a fav of Blake/Miranda.

If Twitter feeds were just going to people who watch the show, I probably wouldn't care. But they're not. (And this isn't to say that either Blake or Miranda IS trying to rig the voting, because I don't know as I don't follow them...but that it could easily happen and imo, shouldn't be okay).

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Miranda was one of the mentors, but she's not one of the coaches. I don't like the idea of a woman being identified only or primarily (or at all, really) by her relationship to a man, so her being Blake's wife doesn't make her any different than Lionel, Kelly, Jewel, or any of the other BR mentors to me. Since she was RaeLynn's mentor, she probably does have some investment there, but she no longer has an official role with the show. I'm fine with her saying whatever she wants to say about whomever she wants to say it.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

To me, it's not different then idol where the judges adjust their comments according to who's singing and let's not forget the Lady Gaga fiasco ( Kris wound up winning despite that, but still). I think it adds to the flavor of the show and should factor into the judges that you should or shouldn't pick.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

oops sorry it double posted

Edited by Pico, Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Miranda was one of the mentors, but she's not one of the coaches. I don't like the idea of a woman being identified only or primarily (or at all, really) by her relationship to a man, so her being Blake's wife doesn't make her any different than Lionel, Kelly, Jewel, or any of the other BR mentors to me.

Exactly how I feel. Blake is the one whose job it is to be a coach all season long and who should be trying to maintain some objectivity. But Miranda isn't a party to his contract with the show, so she's free to root for whoever she wants and be as partial as she wants, regardless of her husband's position. I'm not saying Miranda has no influence on Blake's decisions, as I'm sure he would at least give her perspective some consideration if she feels strongly about one performance over another, but that would be going on whether she was tweeting or not. And I've seen stars tweeting about favorites on various reality shows all the time, so Miranda shouldn't be exempt from doing so just because of who she's married to. I know Blake and Miranda have an overlap of fans/followers, but I'm still fine with her rooting on whoever she wants as long as Blake isn't actively chiming in for his followers to vote for one performer over the other.

Also, I'm not at all surprised that she's invested in RaeLynn. Blake has referred to her as a "mini Miranda" a few times, and Miranda seemed to bond with her right off the bat more than she did any of the others she helped mentor.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

RaeLynn is already a big winner imo because Blake and Miranda have such a personal feeling for her and seem committed to helping her (inc. Blake talking about how everyone at the CMA awards was talking with him about her. She'll have no problems moving forward from this--and, of course, will likely join or replace Dia/Xenia on tour. What a fabulous opportunity!)

. Bridge Over Troubled Water should have given me "goosies" but it didnt. I think it is because he destroyed the melody in all the wrong places. I get it..they are told to "make the song their own" BUT with generational icon favorites..that have an alomost spiritual quality about them..and Bridge Over Troubled water is one of those songs..you DONT mess with the melody. He could make it his own by just his unique voice.

I listened again yesterday and thought that what he did to that song was terrible, the worst performance of anyone because he chose a song that showcases a beautiful voice and range, then he basically said, "Eh, I can't get to those notes so I'm randomly dropping them down a few notes. Who cares?". It starts out okay but every time he has to hit one of the higher notes in the melody, he drops it to bring it within his range. Every. Single. Time. It added nothing to it stylistically to do that, so why even choose that song?

Chris knows how to project and his lower register was pretty, but I don't think he can actually REACH the melody, as written, in any key, in BOTW. It wasn't just like changing notes for your vocal styling, it was changing them so he could sing it. But there's no point in showcasing yourself with BOTW if you can't hit high notes. Just choose a different song. His performance, to me, was completely contrived and insincere.

I can't understand why no one mentioned the dropped melody and I wish Chris hadn't taken a spot from someone else--anyone else--on Team Christina.

Edited by Kali12, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:00 PM.

kjett

kjett

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I don't have a problem with Miranda endorsing Raelynn on Twitter. Raelynn was one of the people she mentored and is also in the country genre.

I would feel differently if Blake (as coach) was endorsing one team member only. But that's because he is the coach and has to be somewhat impartial or at least appear to be.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

""Pretty much agree. It's a free country, she can "endorse" whomever she pleases. I just question her taste in thinking so highly of Raelynn. Girl can't sing, IMO. All the cuteness/sass in the world can't make up for that, well, at least for me.

Edited by cubbie5150, Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:09 PM.

Crystal

Crystal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Chris Mann performed at a women's blogging conference a couple of months ago (Blissdom, if anyone has heard of it), and from that has a pretty big blogger following, if my twitter stream is any indication. I didn't particularly enjoy his performance, but I'm not surprised to see him still around.

ToniW

ToniW

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the acoustic concert that Blake said he would do with his team on Thursday night? I've been waiting to hear how it went.

Erin Martin tweeted: "Thank you everyone. I am very sick and uncertain if I'll be able to perform the Live Show on Monday. I am weak, I need your love & support!"

I think that we may have dodged a bullet. The show can just eliminate her without us ever having to hear her "sing" again.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Pretty much agree. It's a free country, she can "endorse" whomever she pleases. I just question her taste in thinking so highly of Raelynn. Girl can't sing, IMO. All the cuteness/sass in the world can't make up for that, well, at least for me.

Well, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I like country music. I like non-traditional singers. So, it wouldn't bother me if she didn't have a traditionally good voice. Hell, Willie Nelson can't "sing" in a traditional sense, but I love him to death. I just agree with the idea that someone posted a while back that she's kind of a caricature of a country singer, almost like she's doing a skit making fun of country music. She also has the "toddlers and tiaras" vibe with the way she's styled. She's probably a sweet kid, and I know why people like her, but she doesn't hit the right buttons for me.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Erin Martin tweeted: "Thank you everyone. I am very sick and uncertain if I'll be able to perform the Live Show on Monday. I am weak, I need your love & support!"

I think that we may have dodged a bullet. The show can just eliminate her without us ever having to hear her "sing" again.

Ugh, makes me think it could be a desperate ploy to drum up publicity and sympathy votes for her heroic effort to come on stage while "weak."

emziez

emziez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I'm also fearful this will drum up publicity and possibly provoke sympathy for Erin. Or not, considering most people feel disdain toward her.

It would make me laugh if they tried using her illness as an excuse for her wretched performance. No, it's going to be a hot vocal mess either way. She's rough to begin with, sick or not. Being sick ill may her sound worse, but she was so bad from the beginning that all of her fellow competitors on Team Red Zone who are better than her to begin with will sound even better in comparison.

I feel like Cheesa is a dark horse in this shit. Her personality is a bit obnoxious I suppose, but her vocals are really strong. I keep marking her as dispensable but she actually does deliver.

Tomorrow's performances will most likely be a lot more entertaining and generally better than last week. There's a few genuinely strong contenders, a few dark horses, Erin Martin, decent song choices by Adam Levine (I believe that him and Xtina choose thoughtfully) and all of Cee-Lo Green's production fuckery.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

I think it's precisely because Miranda has an official role in the show (regardless if it's "over") as mentor I find her tweeting about Raelynn off-putting, especially since she was also a mentor to Jordis.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I'm calling BS on Erin's being "sick." I think she knows damn well she's not up to the same level as anyone else, so she's hoping to hide behind that excuse and, hopefully, garner some sympathy votes. I can't imagine her performance tonight could possibly be any more of a hot mess than her previous efforts. The fun part will be watching Cee Lo trying to pretend it was anything other than atrocious.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I'm calling BS on Erin's being "sick." I think she knows damn well she's not up to the same level as anyone else, so she's hoping to hide behind that excuse and, hopefully, garner some sympathy votes. I can't imagine her performance tonight could possibly be any more of a hot mess than her previous efforts. The fun part will be watching Cee Lo trying to pretend it was anything other than atrocious.

Yes. I knew that The Voice really does provide a platform for publicity for the coaches, but I have officially given up all pretense that it is in anyway about the "artists."

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

If Erin being sick garners her enough support to get into the next round by fan support over any of the other three obvious pick then I will sing Im so pretty while petting a chia pet on you tube. I do think if Erin fails again that Ceelo would be happy to send her on er way. Between her last song and the backlash he got from it, her act has to be wearing thin for him.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I will sing Im so pretty while petting a chia pet on you tube

I would rather see this than another Erin M performance.

I almost feel sorry for her at this point. If she doesn't sing, I will be okay with them having manufactured an illness to save her and us the added pain and humiliation.

bawarner

bawarner

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

In regards to Bridge of Troubled Water -

I listened again yesterday and thought that what he did to that song was terrible, the worst performance of anyone because he chose a song that showcases a beautiful voice and range, then he basically said, "Eh, I can't get to those notes so I'm randomly dropping them down a few notes. Who cares?". It starts out okay but every time he has to hit one of the higher notes in the melody, he drops it to bring it within his range. Every. Single. Time. It added nothing to it stylistically to do that, so why even choose that song?

If I'm not mistaken the coaches are still choosing the songs for these live rounds, if anyone knows differently please feel free to correct that. If Christina did choose it for Chris then he really only had the option of lowering things or reaching for notes that he may have ended up mangling badly. Judging from the mixed bag of reactions to the performance it may have been a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

If Erin being sick garners her enough support to get into the next round by fan support over any of the other three obvious pick then I will sing Im so pretty while petting a chia pet on you tube.

Now that sounds like something even I'd be willing to venture to youtube for:) Crap, now I'm gonna have to root and vote for Erin!

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Now that sounds like something even I'd be willing to venture to youtube for:) Crap, now I'm gonna have to root and vote for Erin!

uh oh

If I'm not mistaken the coaches are still choosing the songs for these live rounds, if anyone knows differently please feel free to correct that. If Christina did choose it for Chris then he really only had the option of lowering things or reaching for notes that he may have ended up mangling badly. Judging from the mixed bag of reactions to the performance it may have been a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

I believe it depends on the coach. Lindsey and Stone at least picked their own songs. And if I'm not mistaken, Chris said something about emailing back and forth with Christina over songs.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Katrina Parker, Adam picked a strange song for her, but I like her so much, and like Adele, Katrina is a beautiful thick woman--representin' for us big gals!

Cheesa, good performance, but meh, I won't vote for her.

Tony Luca is a good-looking man, but Adam sunk him with "In Your Eyes" (love the tune, but not Tony's singing of it.) Xtina's comments about it made me squirm, but she was being a truth-teller...

Kim...despite singing a hot now artist (sorry to say that I am already sick of this song) I fail to see Kim as a truly contemporary artist, and I wasn't impressed.

James Massone, I just don't get him and I hate his girly headband,& retro Sha-Na-Na letterman jacket--then again I am not a tween, still I thought that he sucked, and seemed slightly off-key through the whole song.

Juliet, kind of shouty, but I do realize that she has something although not my vote tonight. Swimming at the shallow end of the pond, I think that Juliet should rethink the thick long bangs, she looks all nose, what the rest of her face looks like I couldn't say.

Mattai, meh...ok, but I am really sick of this sort of voice.

Tony Vincent, he can perform for sure--but the song did nothing to show me that he has "the Voice." On a side note, pity he went bald, but the dude has the most perfect pearly white (but not fake white) teeth.

Karla Davis, I've never heard the song before and it sounded completely tuneless to my ear. It was nice to see Karla ditch the jeans and plaid and show off her truly lovely figure.

Erin Martin, sweet baby Jesus, the second I saw that get up going into the commercial break I knew that she was doing "Walk Like an Egyptian," it was horrific as I thought it would be--baby go back to looking pretty and keep quiet, LOL. And BTW, true the song isn't an easy one, but Susanna Hoffs knew how to bring a sexy slyness to it that Ms Martin clearly has no idea how to duplicate. (How amusing that Cee-Lo bothered to respond to his critics...)

Pip, I have never liked him, and I'm not a big Killers fan. Adam thinking that a clean cut little Southern boy like Pip could ever come off as dangerous was wishful thinking on his part.

Jamar Rogers, Lenny Kravitz was a perfect, perfect fit for this soulful rocker--he gets all my votes.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

So far, Tony Vincent is about the only one whose voice I really REALLY enjoy. He's kind of sucking tonight though - which bums me out. He shouldn't have been on that platform.

oops. Add Jamar. Not my taste, but I really appreciate what he can do. Sort of like the Rolling Stones. I get it, but I wouldn't buy an album.

Edited by Jextella, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Juliet killed Roxanne. Killed it. I'll download that.

Pip kinda flopped, which surprised me. But I was most surprised that Christina had the knives ready for Tony Lucca. I could tell Adam and Tony weren't expecting it either. Adam seemed flabbergasted.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

In an effort to stay positive, I am only commenting on what I liked.

Liked Cheesa, but I also really love that song. Juliette was good. But I've always liked her.

Tony Luca was fine, but I'll admit I'm having a hard time separating his talent and performance from the song. I don't have the love and affection of that song as so many do. It's a little too "drippy"/"sappy" for my tastes (and got WAY overplayed, way back when).

Kim did better with Rolling in the Deep than I expected. Not because she's not good, but because that is such a hard song to pull off. Still not *quite* as good as Adele, though, of course.

I liked Tony Vincent. That's not my favorite Tears for Fears song, but he did a good job.

I love Pip, and the Killers (although that's my favorite song of theirs). I thought he did good, but not as good as he can be. I hope he goes through to the next round.

Still love Jamaar. He better make it through to the next round.

I'm hoping all the people listed above go on to the next round, actually. But I'd more upset about some more than others if they did not. But that's natural, I suppose.

Quote of the night: Adam - "I think Blake just bought a one way ticket to boner-town". Loved Blake's comeback too - "And it's non-refundable, buddy".

I love Blake, but he needs to get past the production stuff.

These past 2 weeks, I am loving the honesty from the judges when both evaluating opponents' teams, and when saying who'd they pick in the "sing for your life" segments. It doesn't seem like any of them are trying to sabotage the others by saying they preferred the poorer singer or giving bad advise/critiques. And it looks to me like Christina is really trying to give good constructive criticism across the board. I am loving all this from the judges.

One catty comment... Were people really screaming for James Massone and his headband?

Edited by aquarian1, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:01 PM.