The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18044 replies to this topic

pooki pichu

pooki pichu

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Is just me or are the majority of the contestants Los Angelenos (natives and transplants). Seems like there's not an incredible diversity in the auditioners, like Carson is too lazy to go anywhere that is more than a tank of gas to give a golden ticket.

Me, too. I've enjoyed every little riff and phrase she tosses out there and makes me hope she'll be motivated by this show to release some covers (like the Amy Winehouse) in a different style from usual.

If Christina did an album of covers I would buy it in a heartbeat. She's like a parakeet, she can mimic styles and sounds the best when she's not trying to sound like what she thinks she should sound like (if that makes any sense).

I would love love love to hear her sing the uptempo version of "Valerie" or "Just Friends". Without a lot of vocal pyrotechnics (endless runs, ha has and growls), just her superb control, sense of harmony and one or two ad libs.

Edited by pooki pichu, Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:55 PM.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Is The Voice rebroadcast anywhere? My DVR is having a scheduling conflict tonight.

It is usually re-run on Bravo or E over the weekend.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Is just me or are the majority of the contestants Los Angelenos (natives and transplants). Seems like there's not an incredible diversity in the auditioners, like Carson is too lazy to go anywhere that is more than a tank of gas to give a golden ticket.

Most of them aren't from LA and although it seems Carson just drives his car to give the auditioners their ticket IIRC we've also seen people like Jamie, who works in Chicago, get a ticket.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:43 PM.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jamar was in New York when Carson brought him his ticket.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I do agree that these "battle rounds" are a pretty transparent joke in terms of what's really going on here. It wouldn't surprise me to see the format retooled by next season. It would actually be pretty interesting to see the truth of how talent is evaluated in the music industry -- not that I actually expect this show to deliver that, haha, just thinking out loud.

It's like deja vu all over again to steal a phrase. Go back a couple of 100 pages and many said the same thing after season 1.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Here's an interview with Sarah Golden. It's from before the Battle. She gives her perspective on how they hid her appearance when introducing her in the blind audition phase, among other things:
http://www.shewired....asked-interview

I also found this, which I think is her?
http://www.mytexasmu...om/sarahgolden/

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Mr Alicia Keyes Backup has already been given a car commercial?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? So does that mean he has nailed the whole thing??

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Holy christ, Erin seriously has the worst voice I've ever heard of ANYONE on ANY singing show that has made it past the audition round. That was a sin.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I think Cee-Lo just trumped everyone for strangest pairing and song selection. WTH?!? That being said Erin was worse than the blind auditions I thought. She's just horrible. (Loved Adam laughing at her - hee). My TV cut out after Blake said he's married now - what more did he say? And then they broke in with storm coverage and I have no idea who CeeLo picked! (and I see he picked Erin??)

Still love Pip, glad he made it through. His "House of the rising sun", Jordis' "Maybe I'm Amazed" and Jamar's "Seven Nation Army" get repeated plays on my iPod. They are the only downloads that I find myself doing this for. The others I downloaded I just play once as the come up and that's it.

Still not impressed with Jonathas, but he was a little better than Ashley, I thought.

I really liked Jermaine too.

Edited by aquarian1, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.

Aariyona

Aariyona

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Mr Alicia Keyes Backup has already been given a car commercial?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? So does that mean he has nailed the whole thing??

He's actually the 3rd competitor theyve shown in the car using the voice mail feature. The other two had messages from Miranda Lambert. One of them (Lex Land) lost her battle

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

OMG. I missed the first 30 minutes, turned in just as that trainwreck of Erin & the brothers. Ceelo tossed Sarah and Jamie and keeps one of these? AWFUL. Horrible, gross, awful (Oh shit, I said that already). HATED it, completely.

Ugh. This just pissed me off, entirely. Really? Erin? REALLY?

Christina's duo- the brazilian man and the cute teen- they were quite nice for that kind of song (not a fan at all)... the girl is way off key at the end, though. I really dislike that kind of music but he was much better than she was. Both of them are FAR better than either of Ceelo's duo. By a mile.

Jermaine and that girl- seemed a no brainer but again, it was sung in 'that style' (I know it when I hear it) that I just dislike. Dullsville. Neither do anything for me, so...

Adam's next team. This song choice is dull but I'd take Katrina.. both were good, but she was better. Both hit some bad notes towards the end though. I feel like they finally got one right.

I really really liked {Blakes!} Erin's voice- probably my favorite of the night so I was glad she was picked. I dislike Gwen's voice but also her personality grated on me, big time so relieved there.

So- it turns out it was Pip's contest I missed. Don't know who he was against but didn't like his overly earnest BA, though.

Edited by callietwo, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:07 PM.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Erin shumpin shumped. squeaked like a mouse, crowned herself sexy (wow, that was some "I'm an asshole" edit) and was put through. Amazing. But considering the song was chosen for her, and she was paired with two other assholes, especially the blond one, who really needs to shave that matted rat's nest off his head, it was a laughable, who cares they're all cannon fodder disaster.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Blake said something like as a married man that he's grateful to her for wearing that outfit. Ceelo's dumbass is gonna bring his whole team down with him when it comes time to vote thanks to his inability to keep it in his pants. Adams the only one who goes into these battles without a prepicked finalist and it shows. Ashley becomes the first girl without a story to make it to the live shows. good job actually hiding that one producers I finally got to be shocked by one of the choices.

JackTheNarrator

JackTheNarrator

Video Archivist

Pip reminds me so much of Joey McIntyre. I was happy to see him make it through.

I got the impression Cee-Lo thought What's Love Got To Do With It Would really favor Erin. Much to his chagrin, the brothers rocked it. Erin has the worst, weirdest voice ever. The garters pulled her through. What a disappointing choice.

Other than that, I can't say I was really surprised. I though most of the performances were good tonight. Loved blonde Adele.

Lulah

Lulah

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Cee Lo so obviously set that up so he could pick stupid Erin. She was such a diva throughout the process, and the coy act makes me cringe. The Shields Brothers gave a better performance, but of course he was going to pick her. Erin is a one-trick pony, and to say that about the Shields Bros but not her was laughable.

I agreed with all the other choices, though. Alyx, or whatever her name was, was second only to Erin in the crappy attitude department. Loved Jermaine, Katrina and curly-haired Erin.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I think Cee-Lo just trumped everyone for strangest pairing and song selection. WTH?!? That being said Erin was worse than the blind auditions I thought. She's just horrible.

Word. When are weird sputtering sounds with an occasional squeak considered singing? Yeah, that was different all right.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I never fast forward through shows I watch but I will be fast forwarding through every moment that the ridiculous no talent over affected Erin Martin is on my teevee. I kind of thought the Shields Bros killed it but maybe it was just in contrast to that horrible screeching whatever that was thing going on. Note to Cee-Lo: "unique" is not always a good thing.

On the opposite side of the spectrum Pip may just be my horse. His voice gives me chills. And Katrina knocked Bleeding Love out the park.

rustler

rustler

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Okay, first Kim, now Katrina - Adam is winning me over by picking mature women!

CeeLo baffles me. Erin on his team reminds me of that godawful caw-caw Megan girl from Idol a couple seasons back, same beautiful but "unexpectedly quirky" schick. Bleech!

Curly haired Erin on Blake's team has such a warm, lovely tone. I'm glad she held together and made it through.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

More foregone conclusions; yet another oldish bald R&B guy advances. Blake Shelton did not, no way in hell, pick a Billy Ocean song on his own.

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Sometimes this show is just so random. I enjoyed mold girl and backup guy. I might have gone with strange haircut from South America over pitchy girl but she's Christina's type so I'm not surprised. The brothers were bad but Erin was gawdawful. I would have had a heck of a time choosing between Pip and Nathan - I kind of liked them both.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Other than Jermaine and Katrina, I pretty much would have picked the complete opposite of the judges tonight. Oh well. Can't wait for Erin to go home -- that screachy yeowly thing she does should be outlawed.

Edited by whiteshirtrocks, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

That Erin v. Brothers battle was just completely painful -- How Christina could claim to enjoy it other than as a hilarious trainwreck is a mystery to me (though, to give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe that's what she meant by "entertainment"). And I cannot believe freakin' CeeLo kept that obnoxious off-key squealing self-congratulatory wench over the Brothers. She sounded like a cat in heat. And what's with the lispy weird accent she affects while singing that doesn't exist at all while she's speaking. God, she was just so, so bad. And she's not as gorgeous as she thinks she is. AT ALL. There are way prettier girls than she in this competition alone. The girl who sang No Air is just beautiful as are a number of others. The Brothers -- well, the Wayne's World comparison wasn't too far off -- they reminded me of bands that play frat parties. And, y'know, while I expect more from this show, at least they're inoffensive and kind of fun. Erin is now official FF material for me, because she really reduces my enjoyment of the show overall.

Loved a few of the battles that almost looked and sounded like a real duo -- We Belong, Get Out of My Dreams, No Air, Bleeding Love. Really enjoyable. And I'm crushing on Jermaine (that's his name? Alicia Keys backup singer).

Edited by Catronia, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:29 PM.

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Erin might have a great voice, but I didn't hear it behind her fake Tia Dalma (Pirates of the Caribbean) act. Her attitude didn't help either.

jamesonandwater

jamesonandwater

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

The look of horror on Babyface's, uh, face when the brothers were singing made me laugh and laugh. I didn't see Erin's audition, is she going for a Macy Gray sort of a thing? Whatever she's doing it's painful. I had no real feelings on way or another for any of the other contestants. Boring show tonight.

sadiegirl1999

sadiegirl1999

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Is anyone else noticing that you can tell who the coach will pick (if you aren't savvy enough to figure it out already) by their comments?

2 coaches will pick one contestant, the 3rd picks the other, leaving the true coach with that "other". I could pick everyone tonight before the final coach's say just by what the others had chosen.

For ex, Blake, screechy Erin, Xtina, the Brothers, Adam, the brothers, so Ceelo picks Erin.

Is anyone else seeing this pattern?

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I am seeing the selection pattern but Christina didn't pick on one of them.. Can't remember which one it was but it was near the end.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

And I thought everyone picked Jermiane - Blake even had to throw some kind words to that girl before picking Jermaine.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Is The Voice rebroadcast anywhere? My DVR is having a scheduling conflict tonight.

If you have Time Warner, it rebroadcasts "On Demand" (free) the day after it airs and is available for several weeks.

Bwebs

Bwebs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

And I thought everyone picked Jermiane - Blake even had to throw some kind words to that girl before picking Jermaine.

100% correct. And I really liked that he did that, because while I definitely preferred Jermaine, as did it seems everyone else, I didn't think she was all that bad - she almost showed some personality! I thought that was impossible once the rehearsals made her look like a total headcase. Her "random" scream at the end was supercontrived, though.

Also, I loved Katrina and she totally deserved to win, but I think her opponent was better than about 75% of the people that made it through live auditions, including basically CeeLo's entire team.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I don't know what CeeLo is doing, but when you pair 2 awful people, you have to put one through and keep them on your team! Those brothers were not going to win the whole thing by any means, but it's insane that he put Erin through. INSANE. She was so horrible, and her personality makes it even worse.

I liked Pip in the audition rounds, but I was almost leaning towards the other guy this time.
Blake didn't know a Nirvana song, but picked a Billy Ocean one for a battle round? Good Lord, Blake. I noticed Christina made some comment about how that song wasn't really good for strong vocals or something like that.