The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18085 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

Do you recommend any songs? I have it but after Don't Kick the Chair...it turned me off the album. I don't like listening to songs about suicide esp ones that have kind of an upbeat tempo

That was the best song on the album, IMO. The upbeat tempo isn't meant to make light of suicide, its supposed to come off as (intentionally) incongruous--that someone might be thoughtlessly singing along with a song that catchy, then actually think about the words then feel uncomfortable that they did. Its a "message" song because of that.

And its not the only song on the album she did that with. There's a song about child abuse/molestation with well... an even more "upbeat" tempo, and one about revenge murder (again for rape) that also leans in that direction (of "sounding" different than you'd expect for the subject matter).

Think I'm kidding? http://www.altpress....ia_frampton_red

For me its why its a good album. I appreciate music that (intentionally) screws with people's heads and expectations.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:59 AM.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

My favorites are Isabella and Trapeze, followed by Daniel. Other people seem to have good things to say about Billy the Kid; it's not to my taste, but you might like it.

Thanks!

That was the best song on the album, IMO. The upbeat tempo isn't meant to make light of suicide, its supposed to come off as (intentionally) incongruous--that someone might be thoughtlessly singing along with a song that catchy, then actually think about the words then feel uncomfortable that they did. Its a "message" song because of that.

I didn't think it was making light of suicide. TMI but maybe its bc I've been suicidal that I just don't like listening to any song about it. Period. It's weird bc I don't have the same aversion to things like murder and rape (hell, I love Eminem)

cheetahchirps

cheetahchirps

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

For those worried about the welfare of Purrfect, he's not Cee Lo's cat. He's owned by Benay's Bird and Animal Rentals, according to my new issue of Entertainment Weekly.

If Cee Lo isn't home a lot due to touring and the show, that's probably better that he doesn't own her. Miss Purrfect is a high maintenance lady and requires a lot of brushing.

Animal rentals? I hope that's not as cold as it sounds.

I'm pretty sure they take excellent care of their investments, but I hope she gets affection and play from her keepers too.

Perhaps, if they all do it, then my problem is more with Christina's smirkiness than the gesture. Frankly it's a passive-aggressive insult to the contestant, and I'd prefer that a show that seems so very supportive and kind not display that. Or at least get Christina to not look so gleefully eeevul when she does it.

I don't care for it either, but they all do things that bug me, like Blake always looking at the other coaches as if he doesn't trust his own judgement, and especially when Blake or Adam shout out something about the contestant or try to encourage the others to push their buttons while Christina and Cee Lo remain silent, respectful and actually listen to the person who's still singing. I'd also like them to stay away from the family reaction because it becomes distracting.

Edited by cheetahchirps, Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I'm pretty sure they take excellent care of their investments, but I hope she gets affection and play from her keepers too.

And hopefully no sedatives in order to stand the studio/cameras. (Still concerned).

I watched AI this week and at one point Randy said, "We're about the voice, but so much more" which I took as a veiled reference to the competition. I was reminded why I like The Voice so much better--it's not as glitzy and soulless as AI, the singers get so much respect on The Voice, instead of being continually DISrespected (including the horrible way they're dismissed on AI), and there seems to be a lot of variety and artistic freedom for performers on The Voice vs. AI's artistic straightjacket.

I can watch The Voice over again, too, whereas AI just would be painful to see twice (also, when Randy said, "We have the best singers in the world"...uh, no.)

The AI Final 24 included a 15 year old and I think no one beyond mid-20s at the upper range. I like the idea that on The Voice, a 15 year old would be an unlikely finalist (unless an amazing performer, not just a teeny-bopper heartthrob) and that someone 64, like Preston, had a genuine shot at it (and that the Battle Round have some self-identified "last-chancers" and a woman who is 50).

But, I guess I shouldn't compare. I'm just very appreciative of this show emphasizing music, respect for artists, and hope that, if you have real talent, you can jump start your career at any age.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

like Blake always looking at the other coaches as if he doesn't trust his own judgement

That's another thing that all the coaches do and I see it as their being curious not because they don't trust their own judgement. If that were the case they'd never be the only coach who turns around for a singer and we know that's not the case, in fact Blake has at least two people on his team who he was the only one to turn around for.

cheetahchirps

cheetahchirps

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

That's another thing that all the coaches do and I see it as their being curious not because they don't trust their own judgement. If that were the case they'd never be the only coach who turns around for a singer and we know that's not the case, in fact Blake has at least two people on his team who he was the only one to turn around for.

I'm not saying that Blake can't make his own decisions, he definitely knows what he likes. I'm saying that he is always looking at the other judges whereas Adam is often eyes closed and head down on the desk and Christina and Cee Lo are generally face forward and seemingly trying to ignore Blake or Adam when they comment. Cee Lo especially looks mildly irritated sometimes with the disruptions. I don't remember this going on last year but maybe I'm wrong. They really do seem to be trying to weigh audience reaction to a much greater degree this year too. Maybe Blake is completely confident in himself and is playing the competition game, but it looks to me like he feels subordinant to the others in being able to discern talent when he is always checking them out for their reactions. YMMV.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

I'm not saying that Blake can't make his own decisions, he definitely knows what he likes. I'm saying that he is always looking at the other judges whereas Adam is often eyes closed and head down on the desk and Christina and Cee Lo are generally face forward and seemingly trying to ignore Blake or Adam when they comment. Cee Lo especially looks mildly irritated sometimes with the disruptions. I don't remember this going on last year but maybe I'm wrong. They really do seem to be trying to weigh audience reaction to a much greater degree this year too. Maybe Blake is completely confident in himself and is playing the competition game, but it looks to me like he feels subordinant to the others in being able to discern talent when he is always checking them out for their reactions. YMMV.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Adam blocks out everything and puts all his focus on the voice, which I love. Cee Lo doesn't play games -- if he likes you, he shrugs, hits his button and goes for it. Christina and Blake know what they like but seem to enjoy playing the game and hovering over the button a little more than the others. Blake is almost always looking at the other judges, except when he is not interested. I think where he really struggles is convincing people to be on his team. I notice people tend to pick him when he says something really genuine and sweet, but I don't see many people from the get-go wanting him, unless they're country singers. Mileage certainly varies here.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

think where he really struggles is convincing people to be on his team.

I think thats the one place that Blake does excell. He has taken admitted ceelo and christina fans from them and onto his team.His weakness is that he 's trying to do the same thing that he did last year. Ceelo and Christina evolved for obvious reasons and Adam might lean a bit too much upon winning but at least he's looking to change it up. Blake is still talking about finding another "Dia."

I watched AI this week and at one point Randy said, "We're about the voice, but so much more" which I took as a veiled reference to the competition. I was reminded why I like The Voice so much better--it's not as glitzy and soulless as AI, the singers get so much respect on The Voice, instead of being continually DISrespected

The one area where AI succeeds over The Voice is that The Voice is probably a bit too star studded the contestants tend to be drowned out at times. There should be no reason why you should need three voice coaches per team.

I think I found another battle based purely off spec.

Adley and Raelynn appear to be battling since they're standing next to each other at the piano.

simple1

simple1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I think I'm the one who 1st posted "worried" re Purrfect...and animal rentals, oh no. She really is just a prop for CeeLo, and with animal rental ...what happens when Ms Purrfect becomes less perfect?
If he adopted her, that would put him in a whole new light for me!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

The AI Final 24 included a 15 year old and I think no one beyond mid-20s at the upper range. I like the idea that on The Voice, a 15 year old would be an unlikely finalist (unless an amazing performer, not just a teeny-bopper heartthrob) and that someone 64, like Preston, had a genuine shot at it (and that the Battle Round have some self-identified "last-chancers" and a woman who is 50).

And we've also got the trainwreck which resulted from X-Factor US having kids as finalists, as well as a few examples in the UK X-F's last season (if you've seen it) where older contestants were often cast (and treated) as jokes/novelties. So we've seen the worst of all of that, and I'm glad The Voice tends not to play things that way.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Adam blocks out everything and puts all his focus on the voice, which I love. Cee Lo doesn't play games -- if he likes you, he shrugs, hits his button and goes for it. Christina and Blake know what they like but seem to enjoy playing the game and hovering over the button a little more than the others. Blake is almost always looking at the other judges, except when he is not interested. I think where he really struggles is convincing people to be on his team. I notice people tend to pick him when he says something really genuine and sweet, but I don't see many people from the get-go wanting him, unless they're country singers. Mileage certainly varies here.

Actually I think Adam plays games a LOT. You can see him looking at, and goading, Christina a lot. Often to try to bluff/bully her to push her button for an act he doesn't like, to get her to waste a slot. I don't think it worked all that often, but you can see he tried it quite a few times. He also did it to the other two as well, just not as often.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

My guess is that the coaches are directed to react as much as possible (mock-pushing the button, looking at each other challengingly, laughing, talking, etc.) while listening to the singers.

From a director's point of view, all that interplay makes a lot more interesting television than "singer sings, coaches listen quietly and self-contained, unless they push the button".

On re-listen I was still unimpressed by "Bohemian Rhapsody". I wonder if Tony Vincent would be willing to dial it waaayyyy down and see if he might be genuinely good on a less difficult song (or would he see that as insulting)? He really brings out the worst in me, as I was trying to think of a Battle Round -- maybe Jamie -- someone he would look down on (well, I'm guessing), and then lose to.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

So, I missed most of Chris Mann's performance the first time. I think I heard the opening notes, figured it'd be too over the top to stand and went to make a snack or something, but watching it back in full - wow, it was exactly as Cee Lo said "exceptionally beautiful". Looked him up on YT and he has an incredible cover of "Heartless". I don't know who he's facing off against in the battle rounds but I really hope he makes it through.

I've always figured Blake looked at the other judges a lot to be playful but also because his pop sensibilities aren't quite as honed, I guess you could say, and he's looking for affirmation/guidance. It's just, sometimes when it's not a quirky girl singer or a country up and comer, he looks so confused. But it's part of his charm, IMO. I love the completely different energy each judge brings. Mark Burnett really put together a winning combination.

pandagirl

pandagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

NYT article about The Voice

I'm surprised no one posted this yet. From yesterday's business section.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I could easily see Tony Vincent singing "I Believe in a thing Called love" by The Darkness.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

NYT article about The Voice

I'm surprised no one posted this yet. From yesterday's business section.

Well, the most important part of that is this little bit:

With a 6 rating on Feb. 20, it displaced Fox’s long-running “American Idol” as America’s top-rated television series.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Actually I think Adam plays games a LOT. You can see him looking at, and goading, Christina a lot. Often to try to bluff/bully her to push her button for an act he doesn't like, to get her to waste a slot. I don't think it worked all that often, but you can see he tried it quite a few times. He also did it to the other two as well, just not as often.

Yes, they all play games with the buzzers and the other judges. It seems to be the group having fun. Don't see it as anything more or less--from any of them.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Here's a handy link to the weecap page since we can't put one in the header.

Warcos Long

Warcos Long

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Pretty sure these are some of the following battle rounds match ups, going by the previews.

Jesse Campbell vs Anthony Evans (If I Ain't Got You)
Sera Hill vs Geoff McBride (Chain of Fools)
Lindsey Pavao vs Lee Koch? (Heart Shaped Box)

Angie Johnson vs Cheesa (Total Eclipse of the Heart)
Juliet Simms vs Sarah Golden (Stay With Me)

RaeLynn vs Adley Stump (Free Fallin')
Jermaine Paul vs ALyX

Pip vs Nathan Parrett
Kim Yarbrough vs Whitney Myer

Edited by Warcos Long, Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:09 AM.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Thanks Warcos Long! Just an FYI I don't think previews are spoilers

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Blake is still talking about finding another "Dia"

I don't see that as a bad thing considering Dia only lost to Javier by 2% of the vote and she has a record deal, no need to fix what ain't broke.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 4, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

This is my first time watching the show. What happens in the battle rounds. Do 2 people sing the same song separately or as a duet.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

This is my first time watching the show. What happens in the battle rounds. Do 2 people sing the same song separately or as a duet.

It's more like a separate duet.. Though there are a few duo's who did them as an actual duet, some were outright battles, screaming over each other and trying to sing the other off the stage. Some were really nice and some were outright train wrecks.

Ready to move on though. I'm not a huge fan of the battle round set up at all but the blind auditions were one episode too long for my taste. It probably doesn't help that there were so few that I liked in that last group.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

As a duet, in a corny boxing ring. IMO you should youtube the performance of "Creep" last year, I thought it was amazing and the best song in the battle rounds

simple1

simple1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Just looked through all the teams. Team Xtina has a few real standouts but a week team overall I think.
RIght now, my top pics:
Tony Lucca
Mathai
Jamar Rogers
Juliette Sims
James Lono
(Sarah Golden)
Lindsay Pavao
(Chris Mann, I'm really interested in what he can/will do)
Sera Hill
Gwen Sebastian (Am I alone in this pick?)
(Jordis Ungis, I know she is gold for most of you, but I'm on the fence. I like her, think technically she is great, but there's something not quite...I don't know, fresh? enough for me - but that's just based on the one audition.)
(Maybe WADE - who is his stylist??!?!?!)

I don't remember from season 1 - how many nights of BRs? one two hour show? two one hours?

Edited by simple1, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

Viajero

Viajero

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

My favorites are Isabella and Trapeze, followed by Daniel. Other people seem to have good things to say about Billy the Kid; it's not to my taste, but you might like it.

I really like Dia’s album as well and I do like the same three songs. But my favorites are Don’t Kick the Chair, The Broken Ones and Bullseye.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Here are separate video interviews with the coaches and the upcoming mentors: Adam and Alanis, Cee-Lo and Ne Yo, Blake and Kelly, Christina and Lionel Richie.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

(Jordis Ungis, I know she is gold for most of you, but I'm on the fence. I like her, think technically she is great, but there's something not quite...I don't know, fresh? enough for me - but that's just based on the one audition.)

I liked Jordis when she was doing more rock-focused music. Now that she seems to have "reinvented" herself, I'm not really as impressed by her. There's lots of female singers who do what she said she's focusing on; what she did on Rockstar was more unique for a woman and more interesting for me.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Can anyone tell me how the battle duets are chosen? Does the judge/mentor set up the pairings, or do they pick the names out of hats or something? This would seem like a prime opportunity for the judges (or producers) to get rid of the fodder or 'mistakes' they might have hit the button for.

Airy Pits

Airy Pits

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Yes, the coaches pick the pairings and the songs to be performed. It is a perfect way of getting rid of fodder that the coaches may have regreted picking. It was also used by Adam, IMO, to ensure a Javier win. Rebecca should not have been disposed of so casually, IMO, and veteran Tim Mahoney had just a bit of solo in his battle with teenaged Casey Weston, who sang almost the entire song.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

It is a perfect way of getting rid of fodder that the coaches may have regreted picking. It was also used by Adam, IMO, to ensure a Javier win.

He admitted as much in the interviews linked a few posts up.

Adam: "I'm not gonna lie, last year I had an agenda. And it was very specific what I needed to accomplish through the battle rounds. I knew who I needed to hold onto -- there were surprises along the way, and I'm always open to being surprised -- but I pretty much knew who was gonna do what last time around. Last year, someone like a Javier just overpowered everybody. He was the clear favorite from the beginning and it was his to lose from the very start of the show."