The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18070 replies to this topic

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

None of Xtina's artists from last year have one that we know of.

They showed Bev's CD as available for sale along with Dia & Javier's leading into one of the commercial breaks.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Anyone else think that country piano chick's little bro was really her son? Maybe I have watched too many soaps/movies in my lifetime, but the way they acted, how she introduced him "This is my.... youngest... brother".

Heh, I thought the same thing too. I was like does he know she's really his mom because it feels like one of those "I'll raise my grandson as my son and we won't tell anyone" things.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Thought I read that Beverly self- made/ published hers? Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Baylor, Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:10 PM.

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that the little brother might actually be the country girl's son. They seemed weirdly close, particularly when she came offstage and he leaped into her arms and she held him. I mean, I guess that if he's the youngest by a decent gap, he could just sort of be "everybody's baby" for the family, but I really wondered if the mother was just raising him.

simple1

simple1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Wonder if Xtina will hold out a spot for a rejection-round to "replace" the girl with the feather earrings.

sofaspud

sofaspud

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Oh wow, the thought that the little brother was actually Piano Girl's son crossed my mind briefly, but rejected the idea because I thought she was in her late teens/early 20s, but she's actually 27! So yeah, she could totally be his mom.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

I don't know any of their history re collaborating/mentoring, but it's clear that Blake is dead serious (in his lighthearted manner) about his protoge's careers. He may seem a bit of a cheeky smartass, but to me that translates to fearless, committed and persistent when it's time to do business. I think Blake has a kickass talent at being underestimated.

In other words, he'd be my top choice for a coach if it was me up there!

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

[Something Carson Daly's guy said caught me - he said he's 30 and he's at the point where he has to make it big (I think that's a quote but maybe paraphrase) to stay in the music business.

So, approximately how much does a house band member make per yr?

Similarly, "house" or recording artists' back-up singers (i.e., Keyes' Jermaine) - what's the median annual salary?

Is it the money (low), or, if you stay in the band or the backup group for too long you lose your own chops so to speak?

It depends. We are a long past the time when every little theatre in town had a full time house band. So jobs are few and far between and very competitive to get. The contestant may have worked a TV show house band but he does not carry the rep of say Paul Jackson Jr, formally of American Idol and now on Jay Leno's Tonight Show band.Touring with a high profile act like Alicia Keys, when she is working, or playing in a high profile House band like the band on The Voice can provide a middle class living. But then they have to tour and have the funny schedules taking them away from their families.

Most with the dream and relegated to sideman would supplement their income by teaching, playing 3rd Street in Santa Monica like the dreadlocks girl, maybe having a steady gig playing for a larger church on Sunday mornings. They don't lose their chops, especially the studio kings who play new stuff cold, they are like last years winner Javier, everybody agrees that he can sing but he just is not able to make the emotional connection with the masses that superstars, some with more chops and some with less, are able to make.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

This was on the front of AOL.com:

Christina Aguilera Out of Control?

The 'Voice' host is reportedly so hated by show's staff, they're allegedly leaking unflattering photos -- and sharing truth about her antics.

Watch: What's reportedly all over her room

And here's the video they're referring to.

For those who don't feel like watching, apparently what's all over her room and floor are wine bottles. I guess Star Magazine has the leaked photos of it.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

So I was reading the Onion (and on my Kindle, so I don't have a link to the article) and the little snippet about Jamie Lono (the curly-mopped, Potbelly sandwich maker, guitar strummer, and singer extraordinaire) was pretty funny:

For his audition, Jamie sang a downtempo version of "Folsom Prison Blues," and Cee Lo snatched him up, seemingly as much for his musical talent as for the possibility of free sandwiches.

That cracked me up a solid minute!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

If the above is correct, then wonder if it's because Blake is the most invested personally and fought for them once the show was over

I'm sure allowing Xenia and Dia to go onstage and sing with him while on tour didn't hurt. That said I didn't think anyone other than Javier, Vicci, Xenia, and Dia would get record deals. It's not surprising that Bev's record is self-published. I think the reality is the most that a majority of singers can hope is this will give them additional exposure so they can play bigger/more clubs and make a living, not become a platinum selling artist.

ETA - I also thought Rebecca Lobo could've gotten a record deal out of being on the Voice but Adam screwed her over in the battle rounds.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I thought the "brother" was her son, too. Not sure why, just an immediate feeling, as much from her vibe as from his.

And I think, on rewatching the whole Queen performance that this is the first time I'm rooting -against- someone. I really don't want that guy to win. He seems to have a solid career and, while he tackled a really difficult song, I think its because he feels so confident that he's got the tremendous talent to pull it off.

Glad he's with Cee lo. I think if he gets a whiff of over-entitlement, he'll throw him under the bus in the Battle Round. (I have a hard time picturing that guy--Anthony?--as taking Cee lo's direction. I guess time will tell. I'm kind of looking forward to their interaction, actually.)

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Admittedly, I'm a late comer to this show, but I absolutely love it. I had to watch the first season just to catch up. That crap that Adam pulled to make Javier the champion (bringing Casey to the finals over the more deserving Jeff then pulling that 65/35 stuff) probably cost him quite a few good contestants.
At this moment, I can see this season playing out alot like last season: Charlotte becoming Blake's Dia, Ceelo winding up with the great singing female with the distinctive voice and someone from his fan club as his final 2 and Tony pulling those shenanigans for Tony. Christina is the exception as she has a way better stable this year then she did last year

Edited by Pico, Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:47 PM.

violetr

violetr

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Leaving aside the contestants just for a moment, one of my favorite things about this show is the flirtation between Blake and Adam. Seriously hot.

Holly_L

Holly_L

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

That crap that Adam pulled to make Javier the champion (bringing Casey to the finals over the more deserving Jeff then pull that 65/35 stuff) probably cost him quite a few good contestants.

I agree that bringing Casey to the finals was sketchy, but I liked that Adam actually did something other than award his points 50/50 (or even that 51/49 that Cee Lo did). I understand that the judges probably get attached to all their contestants, but if the judge thinks one of them is clearly better, I would rather see them award the points unevenly rather than take the easy way out and just split them down the middle. I only wish he had stated that reasoning even more clearly - e.g., telling them they both did a good job, but he thought Javier's performance was better, rather than spouting that stuff about Casey being only 18 and therefore having lots more chances to make it in music.

Edited by Holly_L, Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Yeah, I'm with those who thought the boy was the singer's son, and I was surprised when she said brother. It was something about his attitude to her.

Ditto to the comments about the guy who seemed entitled.

I only watched part of last season, but the chairs and that whole schtick of the 'unknown' withe judges' reactions still tickles me for some reason. That and the fact that if a singer gets chosen by more than one judge, the singer is in the drivers seat, (and fought over!) at least for a few minutes. That must be unusual for them, and feel great.

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Yeah, I'm with those who thought the boy was the singer's son, and I was surprised when she said brother. It was something about his attitude to her.

It looks like I am not the only one who side-eyed their kinship.

I agree that bringing Casey to the finals was sketchy, but I liked that Adam actually did something other than award his points 50/50 (or even that 51/49 that Cee Lo did). I understand that the judges probably get attached to all their contestants, but if the judge thinks one of them is clearly better, I would rather see them award the points unevenly rather than take the easy way out and just split them down the middle.

I think Adam's point distribution would have gone over better if he had not thrown EVERYONE on his team under the bus for Javier. That is why I would never choose him as a coach. If you are Adam's chosen one then it will be a smooth ride, but if you aren't...look out. I definitely think that the way he treated his contestants last year is biting him in the ass during audition rounds this year. It will be interesting to see if his strategy changes this time around. Probably not since he seems to care about winning more than anything else. He is still hot though.

Edited by lanter, Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:26 PM.

Erle N Meyer

Erle N Meyer

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I think contestants who are still choosing to go with Adam (the ones that did their homework, at least) are picking him in hopes that they will be The One. The ones that didn't do their homework are just getting drawn in by the fact that he had last year's winner.

I only wish he had stated that reasoning even more clearly - e.g., telling them they both did a good job, but he thought Javier's performance was better, rather than spouting that stuff about Casey being only 18 and therefore having lots more chances to make it in music.

The most wonderful thing about that was Casey's "lol dude, okay" face when he was talking.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Yeah, I think Adam gets an idea who his winning horse is at the start and plans things out accordingly. To be fair, Javier vastly eclipsed everyone else when it came to sheer vocal ability making the decision a lot easier, but I get a vibe that Adams wants to win for himself as much as anything else that I don't get from the other judges, not even Christina. Right now I think he's got his eye on the prize with Mathai as he made two or three ultra excited tweets pimping her music vs. just re-tweeting his other team members.

Blake though, I don't know if I'd trust him not to throw me under a bus if I wasn't a raspy-voiced (or "uniquely" voiced) girl singer from the ages of 16-25.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I think that Pip might be Adam's best bet, next to Mathai. Watch for him.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

I hope not, if so he's totally *screwed*. Pip is horrible and Mathai far too cutsie pie.

I agree with the need for a recap of all their team members as the blind auditions have dragged on a tad too long. I don't know who is on whose team.

Jamie Luno is the top dog as far as actual voice & vocal styling goes, IMO. I hope like hell that whomever is his coach doesn't screw him up. (I suck at remembering who goes with whom)

edited- judge/coach, I guess they're more the latter than former, yes?

Edited by callietwo, Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

Jamie Luno is my favorite too. I'm hoping Cee Lo will do something great with his styling, let him choose the song and leave the vocals (and guitar) alone. No full orchestra or dancing bears (or bare girls).

I hope he saves the entertaining camp routines for someone else. Like Erin.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

Is it just me or did Tony Vincent seem disappointed only one judge turned around for him and that judge was Cee Lo?

Oh I think he was totally disappointed. He thinks pretty highly of himself, that one. You can tell he thinks he's doing The Voice a favor by being a contestant on it, not the other way around. I think he definitely thought he was going to get a four chair spin and have to pick a judge. Really not digging his arrogance. Plus, he looks like Jesse St. James from Glee.

I definitely got the same vibe about that piano country girl's "brother". I was dead chuffed when they introduced him as such.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:45 AM

I understand that the judges probably get attached to all their contestants, but if the judge thinks one of them is clearly better, I would rather see them award the points unevenly rather than take the easy way out and just split them down the middle.

I would agree with that normally but the way its set up, people tend to take it out on the protege. If anything that little stunt of his cost Javier votes and while he may have won, that vote was awful close. Besides only an idiot wouldnt know that Javier was going to slaughter her in the vote regardless of what he did.

Jamie Luno is my favorite too. I'm hoping Cee Lo will do something great with his styling, let him choose the song and leave the vocals (and guitar) alone. No full orchestra or dancing bears (or bare girls).

As shown with Vikki, Ceelo was the one coach that was willing to let people pick their own songs. The only reason hy he did what he did with the thompson sisters was because creating a spectacle was the only way he was going to get them to advance.

If Tony doesn't realize that Ceelo was the best thing that could have happened to him then he's a fool.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

I've got my eye on Tony Lucca... I think he's Adam's strongest performer by a long shot.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Wow guys, check out Charolette Sometimes website. The girl was on Griffin Records and released an album in 2008. I don't mind that many contestants on this show have been on other shows, had previous record deals, and even had other albums released. However, it does make it silly when they spout about this being their "one shot" or "big chance." Most of the time they already have had other chances and also very few contestants of these kind of shows go on to be mega-stars. Even some finalists and winners don't go on to be A-list and many aren't heard from again.

Edited by Baylor, Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

To be fair, Javier vastly eclipsed everyone else when it came to sheer vocal ability making the decision a lot easier

Definitely disagree with that, Adam seemed to make his mind up early on that Javier was his guy but IMO Rebecca Lobo could've given him a run for his money but was never given a fair chance.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:59 PM.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I actually think the talent this season is really strong. I don't think there are any WTF choices this season like there were last year (mostly on Team Christina). So far, I'd say my favorites are (in the following order):

1. Jamie Luno
2. Jamar Rogers
3. Mathai
4. Rocker girl who did "Oh Darling"
5. Jordis Unga
6. Lindsey Pavao

But there are another 4 or 5 I really like too. Not too shabby.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I don't think there are any WTF choices this season

I can't say I agree completely with this, as I do think there are some fairly questionable choices but for me the bigger WTFs were in why they passed a couple I thought for sure were the types they'd jump at and then chose others I thought were simply okay and fairly derivative.

But overall and in general this season is shaping up to be pretty good.

simple1

simple1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

SCF: Is Lindsey Pavao the regrettably-haired North Dakota ya-betcha girl (I should go check but I'm not)? She's in my top six, with Jamie, Jamar!, Mathai (unfortunate start and then, the cutie-girl dropped away and, I thought, was awesome). I would love to hear Ms. ND do some blues, some rock blues...I wonder what else she can do.

Here's the thing for me re Tony V: I didn't believe him. It was a great performance without a natural thing in it for me. Yeah, great voice, but I didn't believe him when he sang. I would love the show if I were in a theatre and I might download the whole album of the show but he didn't move me.

Now, that said, I also didn't like him.

edited to say: Ok, I checked. I mean I like Gwen Sebastian- Ms ND, but I also have Lindsey P on my top.

I'm also willing to like Sarah Golden. Also, which is Tony Lucca and which is the other guy in the hat?

I think Blake's team is weakest.

Edited by simple1, Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.