The Voice

• Please log in to reply

18053 replies to this topic

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

NBC and Mark Brunett are brining forward an Idol-esque reality singing competition that will debut on April 26, 2011. It is based on the Dutch show "The Voice of Holland." NBC The Voice

The premise behind the show is that the auditions are blind, and the singers are judged on their voice only. The four judges sit with their backs towards the auditioner. If they like the voice they hit a button to accept the singer to be on their team, and their chair spins around.

The judges will be Adam Levine, Cee-Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, and Blake Shelton.

The first auditioner attached to the show from Idol past is Frenchie Davis.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 1:09 PM

This show is getting alot of promotion. I see the ads all the time.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

I'm interested and three cheers for Frenchie!

stereohype

stereohype

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 1:29 AM

I really hope this show catches on and becomes a juggernaut that can compete with X-Factor... I'd love to see both shows do well. I like that NBC went all out when casting the judging panel - the star power there is pretty incredible when you consider it's generally been tough to get true A-List stars on any sort of reality show.

I'm not a huge fan of Carson Daly as a host, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully the hosting duties are minimal and it's more about the judges and the singers.

Here's hoping that The Voice auditions will stray from the Idol formula of showing horrendous tone-deaf joke auditions, and focus on people with amazing voices instead.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this show. I like the twist and always thought what holds AI back from finding really great singers is their more interested in how they could market a person and their looks.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

The first auditioner attached to the show from Idol past is Frenchie Davis.

I also spotted Lukas Rossi in one of the commercials. He was the "winner" of the second season of Rock Star.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 6:29 PM

I also spotted Lukas Rossi in one of the commercials. He was the "winner" of the second season of Rock Star.

According to spoilers, none of the judges picked him to be on their team. So the audition is all we get. Shame, since it seems like he really improved his singing since Rock Star.

trippyhop

trippyhop

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:10 PM

I'm really excited about this show, mostly because I feel like it was made for the college-aged me, when I was obsessed with Christina and Maroon 5 (my Gnarls Barkley obsession came post-graduation). I also like the twist of it - the blind audition really gives a lot of credence that this is indeed a singing competition, as opposed to Idol.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 10:54 AM

According to spoilers, none of the judges picked him to be on their team. So the audition is all we get. Shame, since it seems like he really improved his singing since Rock Star.

Fine by me, because I think he's a douche and hate his singing. So yay! Epic fail for him!

stereohype

stereohype

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

I am getting more and more excited by this show as I see commercials and preview clips. The judges seem like they have great chemistry together and with the slight exception of Christina Aguilera, they're all incredibly charismatic and funny. Is it Apr 26 yet?!

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 12:54 AM

The judges seem like they have great chemistry together and with the slight exception of Christina Aguilera, they're all incredibly charismatic and funny. Is it Apr 26 yet?!

Me too! I am loving the competitiveness between them all, especially Blake and Adam. They seem really funny too, can't wait!

(And I also agree on the Christina part. Ehh...)

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

Okay. So other than the "blind audition" piece... this is pretty much X-Factor, yes?

Simon must be pissed. HIS formula, and it beats him onto the airwaves by 6 months. Wasn't XTina originally on his XF short-list?

I'm not a huge fan of Carson Daly as a host, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully the hosting duties are minimal and it's more about the judges and the singers.

I'm thinking he was cast for two reasons. One good, one not so much.

The bad one is that some network lackey might see him as a similar character to Ryan Seacrest. Similar background. Similar "day jobs" outside of TV hosting, etc.

The good one is that Carson really DOES know his music. Not sure how relevant that will be to a simple hosting job, but it can't hurt.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 4:12 AM

I think it's a shame this copies so much of the X Factor format and is making it to air before X Factor. If it ends up being a surprise hit for NBC it could hurt X Factor. With that said, I do plan on checking it out initially. They did a great job with the judges. All are big stars in their field, diverse and current. It always bugged me that Paula Abdul was picked to represent popstar.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 5:39 AM

Aside from the blind auditions and Christina/Cee-Lo/Blake being judges, I also like that the decision shifts to the contestant if more than one judge turns their chair around. Also, some mentoring spoilers:

Blake brought in Reba McIntire, Christina brought in Sia, and Cee-Lo brought in Monica to help with their teams respectively. No word yet on who Adam will get, but it's already a great group of diverse singers.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 11:23 AM

It always bugged me that Paula Abdul was picked to represent popstar.

She's not as big as the judges for The voice, but considering what Idol wanted Paula made sense as a judge. She was the former head of the LA Lakers dance squad so she know something about showmanship. Also she had a couple of hits back in the late '80's/early '90s so she knows a little about singing.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

Okay. So other than the "blind audition" piece... this is pretty much X-Factor, yes?

Sadly, it is. I wasn't too excited by the show at first when I heard about it (I live in Holland, The Voice was originated by Endemol, a Dutch production company, first season ended a few months ago). But the audition episodes were SO good, I thought it was the greatest show on earth for a while. And it was. I loved the concept and I loved the battles between the judges. If more than one judge wanted an auditioner on their team, the tables were turned and the judges basically had to audition in order to become the singer's preferred coach.

After that, it becomes a battle between the candidates per group, it turns into a popularity contest just like every other talent show.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

Some promo vids for each judge...

Christina: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-Oeg7outzag

Adam: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=H1dE8weX7Us

Cee-Lo: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=w-sw6-bi5sE

Blake: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DXkVLspXxV4

I'm really liking their chemistry so far.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

From the spoilers IdesOfSmarch posted on the previous page it looks like it truly is a direct rip-off of X Factor. Even down to having a popular musician/industry legend help each judge during the Judges House-esque section. I can't wait to see how this works out for NBC and then for FOX when X Factor launches. Success rates are lower on NBC so it could easily be renewed with under 10 million, but what if by chance it's a major breakout hit? That could do damage to Idol and kill X Factor.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 1:46 PM

If more than one judge wanted an auditioner on their team, the tables were turned and the judges basically had to audition in order to become the singer's preferred coach.

That sounds so awesome. I hope, nay demand, that our version does that.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

The reaction of the judges to this audition in The Voice of Holland was pretty epic. The giddiness of the judges at the first tones, the stoical judge refusing to turn his chair, one of the judges getting mad at him for being crazy enough not to turn around. The desperation after the audition, trying to get the singer in their team.

This auditioner turned out to be the winner by the way, but more on his looks and attitude than on a phenomenal voice.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

If they're doing it based on voice alone shouldn't they just blindfold them the entire time?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

What would be the point of doing that? The truly important part of just relying on a singer's voice to judge them is in the intial, audition stage.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 7:50 PM

After that, it becomes a battle between the candidates per group, it turns into a popularity contest just like every other talent show.

In other words, it starts interesting and turns into shit. Got it.

Some promo vids for each judge...

Christina: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-Oeg7outzag

Uh oh. During XTina's video (she put on some weight didn't she?), I noticed the "J" word. This may turn out to be as bad as The Biggest Loser with the use of the J word.

I will say this in potential support of this show.

The judge/mentor/coach/whatever contingent is far more relevant than on Idol (even the current Idol), or who we've heard will be on The X-Factor. These are four people I actually somewhat trust to evaluate talent.

But Lukas Rossi needs to not be on this show. Go away, Skunk Boi.

Also, I will really respect the show if there's no Group Sings. No Theme Weeks. Just singing. What they sing best. Every week. Even the home viewer voting might be tolerable if the stupid artifacts of most TV singing competitions are tossed in the garbage.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

In other words, it starts interesting and turns into shit. Got it.

Pretty much. The first part is brilliant so I'm watching it anyway.

Also, I will really respect the show if there's no Group Sings. No Theme Weeks. Just singing. What they sing best. Every week.

Ofcourse I can only speak for the first season of the format that I saw but assuming it will not differ a lot from the Dutch version;
- a lot of the times there were various random pairings. Sometimes one of the coaches would sing with one or more contestants. At times, a guest performer would sing with the contestants.
- there were no theme weeks. The coaches would focus on the style that suits the contestant the most and choose a song that fits their genre.

Edited by Cuckoo, Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:12 PM.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

I'm curious to check this out based on one of the promos I saw. A guy playing guitar and singing "Time After Time" is actually a guy named Javier Colon, who debuted back in 2003 with a single called "Crazy." He wasn't a big hit, but his album was solid from start to finish.

Hopefully he'll get some wind under his sails from his appearance because I always thought he was underrated.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 4:14 AM

NBC will air an extended 12-minute sneak peek of the show tonight (Thursday) at 11:35-11:47pm/est leading into The Tonight Show With Jay Leno.

The preview will feature Voice‘s four judges — Christina Aguilera, Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton — performing Green’s “Crazy.”

Additionally, NBC will air shorter two-minute version on Saturday just prior to Saturday Night Live.

The Voice formally debuts with a two-hour episode on Tuesday April 26 at 9/8c.

http://www.tvline.co...pre-leno-sneak/

Edited by IdesOfSmarch, Apr 21, 2011 @ 4:15 AM.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

Watched the 12 minute preview. This show is going to be great!

qeratify

qeratify

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

I watched the preview and enjoyed it as well. The "coaches" do seem to have some decent chemistry, and I'm liking the additional competitive angle of having them compete against each other.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

I liked the "Crazy" performance, that was a genius idea, people should always take advantage of their gifts like that for television.

I liked most of the show -- Blake Shelton is hot -- but I did NOT enjoy the judges competing over the talent! That is really, really boring to me! All I kept thinking was, how is that element going to last? Don't stars have any ego? Judges are going to have to do that like 10 times an episode. I really didn't enjoy that part of it.

I've never watched X-Factor so what are the similarities? Do they do blind auditions on that show, too?

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Apr 22, 2011 @ 2:00 PM.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

I've never watched X-Factor so what are the similarities? Do they do blind auditions on that show, too?

No, the X-Factor is similar in that they have four judges who each have a team they mentor, thus the judges compete against each other.