1-11: "Everything's As It Should Be" 2011.03.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 8:17 AM

3/23 - A CONTROVERSIAL TRANSPLANT LEAVES
THE CLINIC IN CHAOS, ON ABC'S "OFF THE MAP"

"Everything's As It Should Be" - Emotions run high when an old friend of Ben's brings a controversial transplant to the clinic, and Tommy is threatened by Mina's new love interest, on "Off the Map," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 23 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Off the Map" stars Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie, Valerie Cruz as Zitajalehrena Alvarez (Zee), Caroline Dhavernas as Lily Brenner, Jason George as Otis Cole, Zach Gilford as Tommy Fuller, Mamie Gummer as Mina Minard, Martin Henderson as Ben Keeton and Rachelle Lefevre as Ryan Clark.

Guest starring Michael Arden as Pher, Nicholas Gonzalez as Mateo, Roma Maffia as Matilda, Marta McGonagle as Ana, Elizabeth Pena as Inez and Brett Tucker as Jonah.

"Everything's As It Should Be" is written by Christine Boylan & Jeannine Renshaw and directed by Karen Gaviola.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

Say what you will about this show... it has the most gorgeous title card I think I've ever seen. I want to go to there.

Other than that, it's pretty sad that the #1 thought I took away from this episode was that if Lily is from Minnesota as she said, she wouldn't have called it a "casserole," but a "hotdish." [/nitpick]

I hate this reversion to Zee/Cole and Plastics/Streep Jr., moreso the latter since I'm digging both the actors' performances and don't like seeing them wasted on trite BS. Love Mateo, though, so I'm glad at least he's not been ditched in favor of a return to Ben/Lily.

Hate to admit it, but I'm going to be sad when this show gets cancelled. It's grown on me like a water-borne tropical parasite.

TorontoFan

TorontoFan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

I know that we aren't supposed to obsess over the medical stuff in these kind of shows...but seriously? The carpenter guy loses most of his toes and is walking around afterwards - and even standing in a shower? Wouldn't he be - I don't know - a LITTLE bit sore?? Or am I that much of wuss. I had a deep cut on my leg needing a dozen stitches and I actually sat and elevated it on a pillow afterwards.

Some sort of acknowledgement of Ben being a Kiwi? A token explanation for the intermittent accent. I get that Ben has a wide range of surgical skills due to the nature of the practice, but are transplants that common that he would know how to do it, and be willing?

ETA - lemurgrl - and we all know that the parasites came first!

Edited by TorontoFan, Mar 24, 2011 @ 7:31 AM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

I don't nitpick anything about this show and I freely admit that. I watch for the sheer, light entertainment of it and on that score it delivers.

So on that note I was pleased to see more of Mateo. He is yummy and if (when) the show is cancelled I am going to have to track the career of one Mr. Nicholas Gonzalez. Hopefully he lands a new job soon so I can continue to stare at him.

Poor Ryan. Stuck with a bad heart and a lover who won't let go of his dead wife. Her story is going to end on a cliffhangar, I just know it.

Tommy, Tommy. You need to decide what and WHO you want and stick with it for longer than a week.

And while I like Zee and Cole as individual characters I see no heat b/t them at all.

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

I know that we aren't supposed to obsess over the medical stuff in these kind of shows...but seriously? The carpenter guy loses most of his toes and is walking around afterwards - and even standing in a shower? Wouldn't he be - I don't know - a LITTLE bit sore??

My thought exactly when I saw this! Feet are one of the most painful areas to have surgery on. Toe injuries sideline football players all the time so no you're not a wuss! And it wouldn't affect his balance or gait? LOL Did smile at the hang ten comment though.

So it's customary then when in the jungle to "have showers" with virtual strangers since this is the second time it's happened? I might need to know this someday.

ETA loved the betting scene with Charlie and the fight. Perfect.

Edited by OLynn, Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:05 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

You know, this show really isn't that awful. I mean, it's not great, but it's not really that awful. There have been far worse shows. (Wow, I'm really damning with faint praise today aren't I?) I do kind of like the growing relationship between Lily and Matteo, but that's probably due to my love for Elizabeth Pena and I'd love to see her stay on the show.

I kind of liked how the kidney transplant didn't take. On almost every TV show where someone gets an organ transplant, they wind up just fine 99% of the time, and that's really not the case in real life. So it was kind of refreshing to see what happens when the patient rejects the donated organ.

What was really jarring was hearing Ben's Aussie friend openly talking about Ben's wife (whatever her name is, can't remember) in front of other doctors and patients. Up 'til now it's only been spoken of in hushed whispers like it was some deep dark secret.

The one part I really had a problem with was this lead carpentry character - I know this show is called "Off the Map" but this character was all over the map. What exactly was he supposed to be? Some kind of new age Christian that rejected modern medicine? Some kind of hippie who scorned Corporate America and Big Oil? Some kind of guru who didn't wear shoes? I mean, when you get right down to it, this clown was just plain stupid. You can be all of those things and still smart enough not to drink contaminated river water, jeez. I think Mina just hooked up with him because she was pissed off that Tommy spoke for her, but I sure don't want this carpenter guy as a recurring character let alone as a regular.

And I'm sorry, but that lady was abusing her father. The way she kept slapping him wasn't OK. Even more preposterous - Cole and Zee actually demonstrating sexual positions for the old man and his girlfriend. Give me a break.

karmic380

karmic380

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 7:26 PM

I enjoyed this episode on the whole and thought it had some particularly good moments centering around the Ben and Abby storyline which, as has already been mentioned on here, has only ever been spoken about it hushed tones.

If this show continues (and I sincerely hope they give it more of a shot), I'd like to see more of that conflict that Keeton is going through - the push/pull between knowing that he should let Abby go and not being able to and as a viewer being left to wonder to what extent he can't let her go because of the monetary aspect and the fact that her trust fund supports the clinic. I wouldn't want to see it drag on forever but it's the kind of storyline that gives Ben some depth and allows Martin Henderson to use those pretty, pretty eyes of his.

As an aussie, I have to say that although Martin Henderson is a Kiwi, he sounds much more like an Australian (with a hint of American accent thrown in intermittently). He's clearly learnt to hide the New Zealand pronunciation of the "i" and "e" in his speech and gone more mainstream with it. The guy they had playing his friend (who I know from Aussie soap operas) was laying it on a bit thick with the Australian accent. Or maybe he always speaks like that (I've never paid much attention to him, to be honest) but it was in such stark contrast to Martin and everyone else that it sounded laughable.

I didn't mind the Tommy/Mina relationship stuff. It doesn't seem like they're going to have them jumping into anything next episode (unless they've tried frantically to tie up all storylines in 2 episodes in case the show gets cancelled) so I was okay with seeing a little development and softening of Mina's character that didn't end with Tommy "taking his shot" and them falling into bed together.

I'm still not really on the Lily/Matteo train. I like the actor who plays Matteo but I honestly don't see much spark between Lily & Matteo as characters, whereas I definitely did between Lily and Ben at the start (again, could just be Martin Henderson's expressive eyes and penetrating gazes that sold it for me).

I wasn't quite sure where Ben and Ryan ended up by episode's close. He admitted that he can't let Abby go, so was it implicit in that that he was letting Ryan go (since he also said that what he was doing wasn't fair on either of them)? I do think he needs to sort things out in his head before he pursues anything with Ryan and that none of the relationship issues they'd previously obviously had were really addressed when they made the decision to give it a proper shot at being a couple.

From all reports, the ratings for this episode were up. Hopefully that's a good sign and it's not too late for ABC to decide to save it. While I don't think it's the absolute best TV show out there, I do think it has some potential and that it should be given a longer shot to show itself.

Maya de Mayo

Maya de Mayo

Video Archivist

• Interests:Obsessing over Lost (RIP), Carnivale (RIP), Veronica Mars (RIP), John from Cincinnati (RIP), Sons of Anarchy and Flight of the Conchords (RIP)(Bretaholic), TAR, Justified, Game of Thrones, Vikings, Orphan Black

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

I couldn't understand why they couldn't put the kidney back into the donor's body. I mean, it was definitely compatible with her. They didn't even mention it

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

Maybe it was more dangerous to put it back in, or maybe it had necrotized when the recipient died. She still had one kidney left so she would be okay.

It's a difficult moral question, selling a kidney. In a more perfect world, no one would be so poor that they would feel the need to sell of body parts.

As for Keeton's dilemma with Abby... I don't know Abby (none of us do) but if it were me, while I wouldn't want to be kept alive through tubes, if it's a choice between that and the clinic that I built losing my endowment money and having to be shut down, I'd take the tubes.

I hate this reversion to Zee/Cole and Plastics/Streep Jr., moreso the latter since I'm digging both the actors' performances and don't like seeing them wasted on trite BS. Love Mateo, though, so I'm glad at least he's not been ditched in favor of a return to Ben/Lily.

Yes to all three. I'm glad the show is going Lily/Mateo and Keeton/Clark because Lily/Keeton was just too obvious and telegraphed. Unfortunately, so are Fuller/Mina and Zee/Cole, both so obvious the script writes itself. One obvious relationship I can take but not two and even less so when they started to tease Mina/Cole which is much more quirky and interesting. Also, I prefer Fuller's relationship with Charlie to any woman he'd wanted to get with.

Mina really is screwed up relationship-wise if she has sex in the garden with Fuller, and then goes right to a weird guy she just met even if he did write her a song.

I don't understand Zee's issues (also I think there is no heat in the scenes with Cole). Why is she holding back? Because she can't have children? Because she doesn't think he really loves her? And Cole acts so smug around her, as if he knows that she's going to fall into his arms without him even trying. I don't find them interesting at all.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

I couldn't understand why they couldn't put the kidney back into the donor's body. I mean, it was definitely compatible with her.

When a transplanted kidney is rejected, that means that the recipient's body sees it as a foreign "invader." The body doesn't just "dislike" it, the immune system actually attacks it in an attempt to destroy the perceived threat. Hence, kidney = damaged = screwed.