Series: The Hunger Games

• Please log in to reply

564 replies to this topic

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

I kind of interpreted it as the idea that 4 had Careers, but they weren't as gung-ho as 1 and 2, so that they still had non-Careers going up for the reaping. But then again, they didn't mention 4 as a career district, so I wonder if that was intentional omission.

Ugh, no, I seriously doubt he's even a contender. Besides, I'm hoping that he's cast in The Mortal Instruments adaptation that's about to start shooting. A crappy YA novel deserves a crappy actor in its film adaptation, IMO.

He apparently turned down the part because there wasn't enough money. Fangirls seem to be jocking hard for him, and for Hunter Parrish, but I think the fact that they're still doing teenaged roles probably counts them out.

Mila Kunis could be good- I could buy her as someone that could fake out people into thinking she's a weakling, and at the same time turn around and axe them in the back.

Freeze Ray

Freeze Ray

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Whoever they cast for Finnick and Johanna, I hope they're relatively blank slates... which is why I wouldn't mind a Garrett Hedlund-type Finnick because he's familiar enough to the public but probably wouldn't distract much as "that guy from The Notebook / Glee". That said, when a earlier poster said Alexander Skarsgard, I wondered why he's not brought up as much.

I mean, Jennifer Lawrence had the cred when she was cast as Katniss but when people ask where they know her, people could only say that she was nominated for an Oscar for Winter's Bone (which people hardly know) or that she was the one who played the young Mystique in X-Men First Class, not "the one from that new X-men movie".

Mila Kunis could be good- I could buy her as someone that could fake out people into thinking she's a weakling, and at the same time turn around and axe them in the back.

Mila has the right physique that is athletic enough and you would underestimate, but she's exactly the type of person you'd watch out for. She looks crazy intense with her eyes and everything, which could work actually.

Edited by Freeze Ray, Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:05 AM.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I like Mila Kunis as a possibility for Johanna. I feel like she's got the right build and could pull off the rage and intensity Johanna has. If they cast Kristen Bell, I'll be pissed. I adored her in Veronica Mars but she's made so many bad role choices since then, it's ruined her for me. I could live with her as Anna, though.

As for Finnick, I think if Jensen Ackles were 10 years younger, he would be perfect. But he and Alexander Skarsgard, as awesome as they are, are just too old to play a 24 year old.

Supposedly they are starting pre-production this summer and will begin shooting in August/September. Does anyone know how far in advance casting is usually done and announced?

Edited by emma675, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

I would have loved Jensen Ackles as Finnick, esp if he was anything like his awesome counterpart Dean Winchester but alas I think JA is too old.

I think Taylor Kitch or Paul Wesley would make Awesome Finnick's.

I echo Mila Kunis as Johanna, or Leighton Meester.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Maybe Summer Glau could play Anna.

Based on some of the major plot points that were left out of THG (Madge, the mayor..etc) I have a hunch we won't be seeing Annie since she figures so briefly in the books.

Maybe Madge will be in Catching Fire and Annie will be in Mockingjay.

Edited by Batman Beatles, Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:02 PM.

savinggrace

savinggrace

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Based on some of the major plot points that were left out of THG (Madge, the mayor..etc) I have a hunch we won't be seeing Annie since she figures so briefly in the books.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

I feel like they can get away with never featuring Madge. In Catching Fire she's mainly just a catalyst for Katniss to acknowledge her feelings for Gale, and there are several catalysts in that sequence so even a brief appearance wouldn't be necessary. I think Annie's appearance will be fully dependent on how much they chose to feature Finnick. I don't think the Finnick/Annie love story is essential, but I found it sweet and hope it makes the cut in Mockingjay.

I do agree that it seems silly to split Mockingjay into two films. The first half of the book just drags and drags, I can't imagine it making a very exciting film. Unless they followed Peeta, Annie, and Johanna too. I liked that the first film offered a more omniscient POV, so we saw things that Katniss didn't know. So if we weren't only following Katniss maybe Mockingjay could be expanded.

As for casting, I never thought of Leighton Meester for the role. I had a hard time putting a face to the character until I saw the Naya Rivera suggestion and now she's the only Johanna I can picture. Finnick I've yet to cast. I can picture him, but I can't put an actor to it. I'm really anxious to see who they cast.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Maybe Summer Glau could play Anna.

I could see Summer Glau as either Cashmere, the career from District 1 who comes with her brother, or as Enobaria, the woman who won her games by ripping into a contestants throat and had her teeth turned into fangs.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Here's another one for Finnick Pablo Schreiber he not quite as pretty as Jensen Ackles but he looks quite a bit younger and he has green eyes. Plus he can really act(which is often the problem with the extremely good looking actors) he was great on The Wire.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

One thing for sure, I look forward to more Donald Sutherland as Snow in the next movie. I just re-read the part where he visits Katness in her new house and I get shivers every time.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

If they keep in the Second Quarter Quell, I really want Keifer Sutherland to make a cameo as Young President Snow. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it down to a 30-second clip or excise that part entirely.

I really hope they keep in the part where Katniss and Haymitch get blasted while negotiating for Peeta's life.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I agree that the best person should get the job, but so often people of color are excluded from even being considered, and even when a role is specifically written for a nonwhite character (The Last Airbender, Tonto, Drive, etc.) "the best person for the job" is usually white.

Oh, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the best actor is almost always white.

The problem is that so-called colorblind casting is hardly ever actually really colorblind. (It makes me wonder why the studios don't just wise up and list their casting calls as being open to "any race or ethnicity" but really only considering the white actors, so that they can avoid this sort of racefail controversy. Not that I'm complaining. It's nice to have their stupidity out in the open.) As POC aren't exactly given equal opportunity to begin with, I don't see the problem in restricting certain roles to POC only to ensure that we are represented.

I would love to see Jesse Williams as Finnick, ngl, and have to give a big fat DNW to the idea of Jensen Ackles. Don't have a clue about Johanna, though.

Edited by tip and fall, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

hanzz

hanzz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

http://www.cbsnews.c...-catching-fire/

Sad news, I really liked the touches that he brought that really enhanced the experience beyond what we saw in the book. Now I am genuinely worried for Catching Fire. A major tentpole with no director 17 months before a release date?

Edited by hanzz, Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I think that M. Night Shyamalan might be up for the job. >:)

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

If they cast Kristen Bell, I'll be pissed. I adored her in Veronica Mars but she's made so many bad role choices since then, it's ruined her for me.

Yeah, I'm not very pro-KB either---not even as Veronica Mars, and certainly not in anything since. However, if for some reason the casting gods decreed that she had to play a role in the series (please, no!), I think she'd be better suited as Johanna than Annie. Smirky, snarky and bitchy is IMO the one thing she does effectively.

Paul Wesley

For some reason, I can't see him as Finnick at all, though that may be because I don't find PW physically attractive. I agree with those who want an unknown, albeit preferably a gorgeous one, for this role!

Edited by MsTaken, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Alexander Skarsgard aka Eric Northman on True Blood [as Finnick]!

Too old. I could actually see him as a young President Snow, although of course it would be better if they could get Donald Sutherland's actual son to do that. (Also, word to the person who looks forward to seeing more Sutherand as Snow. That scene where he comes to visit Katniss before the victory tour is really chilling, and I know he'll play it quiet and sinister.) Ive read Taylor Kitsch is a favorite, and I would be THRILLED if Tim Riggins were in this series. And he did play a teenager for a long time, but he looks his age (30) now. Armie Hammer has been thrown around a lot and he IS in his mid-20s, but he looks 30ish to me. Ive also read that Zach Efron would be a good choice and hes age-appropriate and attractive, but can he act? (Im seriously asking; Ive never seen any of his movies.) I also wonder if they'd want to cast someone who's a bigger name than Lawrence.

Of the suggestions floating around, Kristen Bell is a big fat no in my book, but I do like the idea of Naya Rivera.

Ditto I think Kristen Bell is exactly the wrong choice. She doesnt have the viciousness needed to play Johanna; shes tiny and cute and not at all vicious-looking. Snark and viciousness aren't the same. Naya Rivera would be much better she regularly plays vicious on Glee. I can't remember how Johanna was described physically, but I think I pictured her dark. (I pictured Finnick as this guy B. I went to college with - tall, tan, sandy hair, muscular, rowed crew ... just a total J.Crew-model-esque WASP like Armie Hammer played the Winklevoss twins.)

Movie Clove definitely didn't look 17/18 either.

Clove was 14 in the book and the actress who played her is 15 (was 14 during filming, born in February 1997).

Funnily enough, I pictured Katniss as a taller Mila Kunis she has the olive skin, light eyes, and dark hair the way Katniss is described.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Ive also read that Zach Efron would be a good choice and hes age-appropriate and attractive, but can he act?

For me, he has the opposite problem of Armie Hammer. Efron is technically the right age, but he just screams "teenager" to me. I don't know if I could take him seriously as Finnick.

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Alexander Skarsgard aka Eric Northman on True Blood [as Finnick]!

Too old.

How about one of his brothers? There's, like, 10 of them.

Ambrosefolly1

Ambrosefolly1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

What about Kate Mara (older sister of Rooney Mata) as Johanna. She was in American Horror Story.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

For me, he has the opposite problem of Armie Hammer. Efron is technically the right age, but he just screams "teenager" to me. I don't know if I could take him seriously as Finnick.

I feel like any guy who can still play teenaged roles is pretty much out, because they need someone who will look like an adult standing next to Katniss, not someone who's a peer. If they get a guy who's actually in his mid-20's, I feel like he's going to be someone who gives off an older air, like Armie Hammer. But I also won't be surprised if he's played by a guy who is more in his late 20's/early 30's.

I think Alex Pettyfer and Hunter Parrish are probably out because they still pass for teenagers.(By Hollywood screen standards.)

I like the idea of Kate Mara. She's been believable as both the innocent good girl and the vicious little bitch. Kate's been on my radar since Cold Case and Nip/Tuck in 2003; it's a shame her career has kind of stalled after having such a nice little part in Brokeback Mountain.

Edited by MethodActor05, Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

I feel like any guy who can still play teenaged roles is pretty much out, because they need someone who will look like an adult standing next to Katniss, not someone who's a peer.

This is what bugs me about a lot of the people I've seen suggested on Facebook, etc. Zac Efron? Hunter Parrish? Eddie Redmayne? Anyone from Glee? They're technically adults, but they still seem like boys. I know that's probably why they appeal to teenage girls (who are the ones making these kinds of suggestions), but does anyone actually see these actors as tall, strong, able to take on several people at once with only a trident and carry an old woman on their backs?

Even though I'm strongly in favor of Armie Hammer, I won't have a problem with whomever they choose as long as they cast an actual man, not a boy. Taylor Kitsch or Jesse Williams would be fine choices.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Anyone from Glee? They're technically adults, but they still seem like boys.

Heh. I posted in the most recent Glee thread that Mark Salling looks every day of almost-30, to the point where it's distracting to see him playing a 17-18-year-old. Someone else described Cory Monteith as "44 years old." Most of the males playing teens on that show are in their late 20s and look it - the actor playing their teacher is like three years older than they are and the tiny age difference is obvious. But I don't think either Mark Salling or Cory Monteith is a good choice; neither are good-looking enough, IMO. Cory Monteith is too goofy-looking.

I would welcome Taylor Kitsch or Jesse Williams. I don't watch Grey's but Jesse Williams is fine as hell. And as I said, I would love to see Tim Riggins on screen again, and Kitsch needs a boost after the spectacular flop of John Carter (which I didn't and won't see).

Edited by Empress1, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:43 AM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Kate Mara played a pretty good psycho bitch on American Horror Story, I can see either her or Naya Rivera as Johanna.

It's Finnick I'm having trouble finding someone to play him. Jessie Williams could work but maybe they should find someone unknown that can act. They casting people did a great job with the first movie, so I'm going to trust them.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

They casting people did a great job with the first movie, so I'm going to trust them.

Except the director is out and I'm sure he played a major role in casting the first movie.

I'd steer clear of Glee as well mostly because none of them can act well enough. I originally suggested Matt Bomer, not knowing he was going to be on Glee. I just remember him as Bryce Larkin on Chuck and if you want someone who will carry old ladies on their back and look like a hero and at the same time seem like a D-bag to Katniss then Bryce Larkin is your man.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Naya Rivera as Johanna.

I have the same problem with her as Johanna, as I do a teeny bopper playing Finnick- too young. I'd really like them both cast visibly older than Katniss and Peeta.

I've heard Armie Hammer mentioned both here and other places online for Finnick, but I don't get it. I've only seen him in The Social Network and on Gossip Girl, and he just doesn't do anything for me (and I don't think he's a very good actor).

I really love speculating, but I'm about ready to hear some concrete casting news. Isn't the movie due to be released next fall?

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Someone suggested casting an Asian actress (no-one specific) for Johanna. That was the first suggestion that had me perk up and be interested.

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I have a feeling Finnick is going to be cast older than book Finnick. Probably a mid-to-late 30s actor. Because he's going to have to look older standing next to Jennifer. Someone suggested Matthew Bomer as a good choice and I'd agree with that. Weirdley I could also see Neil Patrick Harris possibly.

Summer Glau all the way for Annie. I could also see Amy Acker.

And maybe I just have Joss Whedon on the brain because of a lot of my casitng choices are alums of his shows, but I'd be interested to see him direct Catching Fire and Mockingjay. He's dealt with a lot of the themes important to the Hunger Games series(Identity, how to fight back against an all-powerful entity that has the power to dictate yoru fate and brainwash the populace into going along with them, different types of love and relationship bonds, etc.) and knows how to get the bang for his buck with a limited budget.

Pennlyon

Pennlyon

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I originally suggested Matt Bomer, not knowing he was going to be on Glee. I just remember him as Bryce Larkin on Chuck and if you want someone who will carry old ladies on their back and look like a hero and at the same time seem like a D-bag to Katniss then Bryce Larkin is your man.

I remembered this suggestion and was consciously imagining Matt Bomer as Finnick while I was watching Glee. He's certainly pretty enough, and he can absolutely be Sex Toy Finnick. I remember Matt Bomer when he was Ben on Guiding Light and they turned him into a serial killer, so I know Crazy Finnick's in his back pocket. Romantic Finnick would be child's play, so Adventure Hero Finnick is the only part I have questions about. He's my top choice right now.

Edited by Pennlyon, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:03 PM.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Evidently there are seven or eight names under consideration to direct Catching Fire.

Options under consideration include blatantly ripping off the Harry Potter franchise by hiring Alfonso Cuaron; David Cronenberg; and, of all people, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, director of depressing miserabilist dramas like 21 Grams and Babel.

savinggrace

savinggrace

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Options under consideration include blatantly ripping off the Harry Potter franchise by hiring Alfonso Cuaron; David Cronenberg; and, of all people, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, director of depressing miserabilist dramas like 21 Grams and Babel.

Maybe they should save that guy for Mockingjay.