1-10: "I'm Home" 2011.03.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

18 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

A HEPATITIS OUTBREAK SPREADS THROUGH A PRISON, ON ABC'S "OFF THE MAP"

"I'm Home" - When a hepatitis outbreak spreads through the local prison, the team jumps into action, while Lily learns more about Mateo, on "Off the Map," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Off the Map" stars Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie, Valerie Cruz as Zitajalehrena Alvarez (Zee), Caroline Dhavernas as Lily Brenner, Jason George as Otis Cole, Zach Gilford as Tommy Fuller, Mamie Gummer as Mina Minard, Martin Henderson as Ben Keeton and Rachelle Lefevre as Ryan Clark.

Guest starring Gary Carlos Cervantes as Warden, Nicholas Gonzalez as Mateo, Sal Lopez as Hugo, Elizabeth Pena as Inez.

"I'm Home" is written by Joe Sachs & Luke Schelhaas and directed by Randy Zisk.

"Off the Map" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-14,L,V parental guideline.

frk

frk

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 6:24 AM

Ouch. Permanent Hiatus.
Does that mean we wont get any more episode discussions on the forum either?

Anyway. Not too sure about this one.
Loved Mina's and Plastic's reactions. One of the few times the reactions after unplanned sex seemed real. Funny that plastic who made a career out of building boobs suddenly get all nervous because of Mina's and can't even say the word "sex". Board games (:

Had Mateo buffed up? His shirt looked like it was about to get ripped off the whole time... I think I was hoping for a more intriguing back story to the whole leaf business. No way it would be that easy to keep living a nice and moral life when growing drugs. Just look at Nancy.

I missed the Lily/Ben scenes. Ryan isn't doing anything for me. Her story is tragic, I get it, but I don't feel it. Why are we supposed to feel sorry for her now when she clearly knew that this would happen sooner or later and decided to ignore it? Her life sucks because she let it go this far. Deal with it.

The prison scenes weren't as powerful as I thought they would be. Did someone catch what Hugo did there? I missed it

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 8:55 AM

frk, I haven't been told one way or the other, so I'll keep making threads until I hear otherwise.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

I had a hard time finding this thread because the show has disappeared off the Forums menu at the top of the page, but it didn't appear in the Drama section when I looked. I finally had to use the search engine to find it.

I'm so-so on this one. I liked the Ryan subplot with her medic alert bracelet as a metaphor for accepting her illness (Are there medical alert bracelets that come off? Mine doesn't, which is the point of it I thought). I really like Keeton with her much better than with Lily so I'm glad Matteo is sticking around.

I like Elizabeth Pena, always have. Is it wrong that I'm relieved she's looking more like me now that a perky 20 year old?

The prison was truly terrifying. I will never respond to a cute guy at the airport no matter what he says.

I'm sad Cole seems to be hooking up with Zee again because I preferred the off-beat tension of him with Mina to this bland storyline. Zee loves him, she doesn't trust that he loves her and thinks he only wants sex. He pursues her but we don't know why. Okaaaay.

I"m afraid Tommy/Mina are going to be the new ships for each other. I like the characters and the actors but put them together and it's like mixing fresh white and chocolatey brown paint -- individuallly they're great; together they make beige.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

Yay Elizabeth Pena! Love her. She made this episode. The problem I have with her whole story though is - yes, she had to do something to feed her "hungry babies." But - her babies aren't babies anymore. Maybe now that they're grown up she can find another job?

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:53 PM

Wow. Had a hard time finding this thread as it also wasn't listed under Dramas for me.

I really like Keeton with her much better than with Lily so I'm glad Matteo is sticking around.

Ditto that for me. I see absolutely nothing b/w Ben and Lily but professional respect, even more so now that the writers backed off those early attempts at cramming them down our throats. And Matteo is delicious.

And when the inevitable happens and this gets cancelled at least there will be the possibility of seeing Rachelle and Martin in their new show since it seems TPTB at NBC also saw the great chemistry b/t these two actors and cast them as their two leads. :-)

Why are we supposed to feel sorry for her now when she clearly knew that this would happen sooner or later and decided to ignore it? Her life sucks because she let it go this far. Deal with it.

I believe they pointed out that there is no cure for Chagas disease if medical intervention isn't sought soon after being bit. Ryan was bit as a child therefore it was up to her parents to get her medical help but they didn't. That was the point of the episode where she was trying so hard to get medical attention for the little local girl who got bit and contracted the disease. Because she could be saved from having the disease progress. But the girl's mother, probably much like Ryan's parents, just chalked it up to a regular old bug bite and didn't see the point of any special medical treatment. So no, Ryan did not ignore her disease. By the time she knew enough to realize she even had it it was already too late. The damage to her heart had been done. So what she has to "deal with" is a life threatening disease that could have easily been stopped early on if only her parents had had the foresight to seek care.

Tommy was just too funny, all distracted by the thought of Mina's boobs. LOL.

Ben's "I need you to live" line to Ryan...that whole Ben/Ryan exchange really just made me wibble.

That wad of dead, parasitic worms they pulled out of that prisoner was just gross.

Edited by rove3, Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:56 PM.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

I liked this episode pretty well, mostly because of the prisoners/best friends storyline. I actually teared up when they got to see the sunrise together. Or sunset. Whatever. It was like a heart warmingly tragic episode of Locked Up Abroad!

I still love Ryan and Ben together. I was frustrated with her though this episode since her stubbornness caused all sorts of problems - Worm Guy nearly bleeds out, Ben stresses out, Prison Guard Guy gets grossed out, Lady Prisoner breaks out... I'm glad Ben got her to realize what a problem she was being! Weirdly, I know this show is going to get canceled, but I just want it to hold on long enough so we get the inevitable - Ryan is in congestive heart failure RIGHT NOW and she needs a heart ASAP - drama, because you know Ben's comatose wife will be donating a heart at the end of this. I just want to see that plot come to fruition. It's cheesy and horrible and yet, I want to see it! Don't get canceled show, before then!

The problem I have with her whole story though is - yes, she had to do something to feed her "hungry babies." But - her babies aren't babies anymore. Maybe now that they're grown up she can find another job?

Yeah, I have the same problem. Elizabeth Pena is amazing, so she was really selling that line of thought, but come on. The way the show is positioning Mateo's family as simple moral people who did what they had to do without being at all touched by the criminal aspects of that trade, is so disingenuous - I can't imagine a big money business like theirs would leave them unused to working with some really seedy individuals. And judging by their lovely house in the jungle, I think they've done pretty well for themselves. Couldn't they have saved up their money and found another trade? They both seemed like relatively stress free people, (I mean, other than the Lupus!), so it doesn't seem like they're forced into this trade anymore, or have something like the Taliban breathing down their necks. Meh.

I didn't really care about Mina and Tommy or Cole and Zee. Both pairings are pretty boring to me.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:26 PM

And judging by their lovely house in the jungle, I think they've done pretty well for themselves. Couldn't they have saved up their money and found another trade?

All I kept thinking was, "did you send your kids to college so they wouldn't have to live the same illegal, shady live you live?" It's all nice and maternal that she wanted to take care of her babies by going into a horrible, illegal, dangerous trade, but wouldn't she have wanted better for those same babies? Ugh. That rational bit.

Not feeling the Mina/Plastics ship. Prefer Mina with Cole (though that seems dead in the water) and Plastics with Charlie. (Okay, it's not actually a ship, but I liked the idea of Plastics swearing off women and concentrating on his work, and having a little apprentice fed into that. Not everyone on the show needs a love interest). Love Ben and Ryan. love that the angst in that relationship has nothing to do with a love triangle, and though she was keeping a big secret from him, it's not about that either. It's about him not wanting to lose someone he cares about and her not wanting to be weak and, you know, like real stuff. It's kind of refreshing.

Wish they'd done a bit more with Cole and American Prisoner girl (who will always be horrible Maureen from Center Stage for me, so it was weird seeing her locked up abroad). He's right, that could easily have been him, and I guess part of his obsession with helping her was because of that but I feel like they really just brushed the surface of that idea.

Still find Lily boring as a particularly boring shade of beige drying on a really boring wall in a very small room with nothing to distract me.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:37 PM

Love Ben and Ryan. love that the angst in that relationship has nothing to do with a love triangle,

Isn't it refreshing? LOL.

Still find Lily boring as a particularly boring shade of beige drying on a really boring wall in a very small room with nothing to distract me.

That's why she needs Matteo. Wasn't he going to law school or something when he was called home to help fend off whoever was trying to muscle in on the family biz? Maybe he WAS trying to get out and do something different, and legit, but just like Michael Corleone "everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:51 PM

That's why she needs Matteo. Wasn't he going to law school or something when he was called home to help fend off whoever was trying to muscle in on the family biz? Maybe he WAS trying to get out and do something different, and legit, but just like Michael Corleone "everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

Ah, thank you. I don't pay much attention to him or Lily so I didn't realize he was away at school.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 6:41 PM

Chagas disease has a 60% cure rate if treated within the first couple of years after the bite. After that, the only thing they can do is replace each organ as it fails.

Plastics and Charlie as the new Batman and Robin. Keep Plastics away from women unless he's operating on them.

Yes, Mattteo was in law school but the police attacked his 'family farm' so he had to come back and help defend it. I wonder where the police are now.

I think one of the reasons Lily is so boring is that she's just so very Mary Sue with nothing distinctive about her. Even her tragic backstory was just a blip on her Blackberry.

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 7:49 PM

Wow just found this thread. Thought the show was gone.

Missed Charlie in this epi. Liked the Batman and Robin analogy!

Lol when Lily so easily diagnosed Lupus. In the jungle. One of the more difficult diseases to definitively diagnose.

I think one of the reasons Lily is so boring is that she's just so very Mary Sue with nothing distinctive about her. Even her tragic backstory was just a blip on her Blackberry.

She had difficulty dealing with the boy drowning. Maybe actually showing us this would have helped with her being perceived as so perfect and boring. Instead they just mentioned she had some days off. Just a thought.

And on a completely shallow note, I can stare at Martin Henderson staring, pretty much indefinitely.

I'm going to miss this show. No it isn't rocket science, but it's about people that I've actually grown to care about. It saddens me that this isn't good enough anymore. And a show like Hawaii 5-0 which except for the theme song is just stupid imho, has like a zillion viewers.

Edited by OLynn, Mar 17, 2011 @ 7:49 PM.

Tocks

Tocks

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

Lucky I still had the forum saved on my browser tab! Not my favorite episode of the last few but I liked it well enough because I've also grown to care about the characters (well, most of them.) The prison was actually interesting in a horrific way and I wished they'd spent more time on that set. Was psyched to have Mateo back but his mama was kinda annoying. As a House veteran, I did get a good laugh out of her Lupus diagnosis.

Weirdly, I know this show is going to get canceled, but I just want it to hold on long enough so we get the inevitable - Ryan is in congestive heart failure RIGHT NOW and she needs a heart ASAP - drama, because you know Ben's comatose wife will be donating a heart at the end of this. I just want to see that plot come to fruition. It's cheesy and horrible and yet, I want to see it! Don't get canceled show, before then!

I'm with you! Do we know how many episodes they've completed? Are they still filming? I don't usually follow mid-season shows so I don't know how it's done. Would it be a cable-esque 12-13 episodes? In any case it does seem like they're winding down to a cliffhanger with Ryan and the coma!wife heart. That means we probably won't ever get to see it resolved :(

That wad of dead, parasitic worms they pulled out of that prisoner was just gross.

Gah! It definitely made me swear off Chinese food for the week.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I didn't have any problem finding the thread, I always use the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page to navigate through the forums. However, I didn't get to see the episode until just now.

Loved Mina's and Plastic's reactions. One of the few times the reactions after unplanned sex seemed real. Funny that plastic who made a career out of building boobs suddenly get all nervous because of Mina's and can't even say the word "sex". Board games (:

"Did he beat your ass bad, too?" Ha. Even funnier was that Charlie had said that on purpose, just to piss them off.

If Lily's patient had been on House, she would have been diagnosed in two seconds, since they always think it's lupus at first.

I liked the prisoner storyline. Good to see Susan May Pratt. Center Stage!

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

I'm with you! Do we know how many episodes they've completed? Are they still filming? I don't usually follow mid-season shows so I don't know how it's done. Would it be a cable-esque 12-13 episodes?

I believe there are 13 episodes, so there are three left. Weirdly, they re-ran an earlier episode (the one with the diving accident/amputation) last night in Private Practice's timeslot. I don't know what the ratings are like - probably not good - but the network still seems to be trying to give it a chance.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

I finally got around to watching Wednesday's episode. Knowing this show is 99% going to be cancelled makes it a little hard to invest too much in these characters, but I still enjoy the show.

I thought this episode was a solid B. I wasn't all that invested in the prison stuff, but liked a few of the other storylines.

I am liking Lily and Mateo more and more. If this show was to stick around, I would want them to make mateo at least a recurring character. He makes Lily seem so much more appealing on every level. They have a nice hot/innocent balance going that works. I liked the mom character. The whole coke farm things a bit silly, but I can overlook it.

Still loving Ryan and Ben and like that they actually get scenes together (unlike a certain other show on ABC by the same producer who seem to go out of her way to keep her couples apart). My only itty bitty complaint is that it seems like Ryan and Ben are suddenly 100% together. I feel like we are missing a scene or two when they decided to give it a real go. Yes, we had Ben confess he didn't want to lose Ryan a few episodes ago, but I wouldn't mind a little more than that.

I agree that I'd like to get back to the flirting with Mina and Cole. I think Mina and Plastics post sex thing is starting to feel overdone. They aren't 12 years old. It seems like they were fine in the last episode and now it is an ackward problem again. They need to move on. Zee needs to get over herself a little. It seems like she has known Cole a long time so I don't get all her issues. I find the back and forth between them a little on the tedious side.

I will be bummed when the show goes away because it is a fun little diversion.

frk

frk

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 1:40 PM

Why are we supposed to feel sorry for her now when she clearly knew that this would happen sooner or later and decided to ignore it? Her life sucks because she let it go this far. Deal with it.

I believe they pointed out that there is no cure for Chagas disease if medical intervention isn't sought soon after being bit. Ryan was bit as a child therefore it was up to her parents to get her medical help but they didn't. That was the point of the episode where she was trying so hard to get medical attention for the little local girl who got bit and contracted the disease. Because she could be saved from having the disease progress. But the girl's mother, probably much like Ryan's parents, just chalked it up to a regular old bug bite and didn't see the point of any special medical treatment. So no, Ryan did not ignore her disease. By the time she knew enough to realize she even had it it was already too late. The damage to her heart had been done. So what she has to "deal with" is a life threatening disease that could have easily been stopped early on if only her parents had had the foresight to seek care.

I didn't mean it like that, we know it can't be cured but she could have gotten on the heart list earlier on or at least asked around for possible treatments. She is a doctor and seeing as she's on the list now they (the decision makers) are clearly ok with giving her a heart sometime. Which means that if she had contacted someone as soon as she found out about the possibility she could be feeling much better now, right? She even got some pills from someone that keeps it under control for "quite some time",- those are the things she could have done.
She's a doctor who knows that one can live a fairly long life on medications even if the illness is incurable.
So far it just sounds as if she's knowingly refused treatment in order to be able to work in the jungle, and that's all nice of her and rather heroic.
That's my problem with her. She has known about this for several years, without doing anything, but now that her heart is giving up it's a big tragedy and whatnot. Of course it's sad, I'm not heartless, but I find it hard to care when she so clearly does not. She's only doing this for Ben...

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

I think it's not so much Ryan not caring as being in denial about the reality of her condition. That's what has been her arc in the past few episodes, that she didn't want to tell anyone about it because she didn't want their pity or even their acknowledgement of her disease so that they would treat her differently, that's why she went after the girl in the jungle alone because she was in denial about the extent of the damage to her heart and even in this episode, she insisted that she was okay to go to the prison and okay to operate even though she was already on the transplant list. This was the episode that kicked her out of denial when she endangered the patient because she couldn't finish the operation, where she had to accept that she could no longer function at the level she needed to. Doctors with their god complex may be even more prone to denial than many of us lay people are.

I don't understand why people who are at risk of developing Huntington's don't get tested for the gene but then I'm at no risk for it so I don't know what it would be like to know and to have to accept a death sentence.

She's a doctor who knows that one can live a fairly long life on medications even if the illness is incurable.

I'm not sure that true for Chagas. They can manage symptoms but I haven't read anything about slowing it down.

The heart transplant list is unfortunately a very long one and there aren't enough hearts to go around.* She probably wouldn't have been able to get on the list at all if her heart wasn't in such bad shape. As it is, Keeton said she's far down on the list.

*Unlike here where you become an organ donor only if you sign the card and your relatives agree to it, in some European countries you are automatically a donor unless you opt out. Doctors argue that if that were the case here, there would be a lot fewer people dying from lack of donor organs.

frk

frk

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

I think it's not so much Ryan not caring as being in denial about the reality of her condition.

I get your point, and agree with most of it but not this. I don't think it's denial as much as the fact that she want to be a doctor in the jungle or anywhere that's not a big city. She knows that if she does get the treatment and end up with a new heart she won't be able to continue that lifestyle.

Her line to Zee about that it's not just up to herself anymore made it sound as if she very well knew about the options and decided to not seek help so that she could continue working at the clinic. It's first when she realises that Ben is "committed" that she agrees to see a doctor.

To me that sounds more as if she doesn't know how to live if she can't practice medicine in the jungle and rather do that for as long as possible and the there than seek help and having to change everything. That is denial, I guess, but the not in the same way as you meant. (I think, though I could easily be wrong)

All I know about medicine is stuff I've learned from tv, and seeinga s most shows seems to make their own rules this might be wrong, but can't you get on the heartlist before you're actually dying? She knew about the bite and knew that it meant she would need a new heart years ago, couldn't she have seen a doc then and gotten on the list?

I'm from one of those European countries you mentioned and although the "opt-out" system sounds good it doesn't really work. If you haven't clearly stated that you don't want your organs donated they must find some relative who can confirm that you want to be a donor, if they don't know or are unreachable you wont be a donor.
We have one of the lowest donation rates here in Sweden even with the opt-out system and though most people are pro-donation. It's sad.