Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

696 replies to this topic

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

Another interesting sighting from the program was the newspaper delivery person who claimed to have seen Morgan, with 3 men, around 4a.m. but that the sighting appeared to have been discounted as the 4 people being the remains of a wedding reception. A wedding reception still going on at 4am? That really seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility somewhat.

And finally how and why Morgans remains being found 15 miles away from the arena and in such a remote area of a farm is the final mystery in this case. Bet Morgan was murdered in the area of the arena or near where her black tshirt was found. Whoever did it had to have some knowledge of that area where that farm was as he had to have carried her remains to that site and without being seen in the area is the final mystery.

stephf13

stephf13

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

The episode I was referring to when I said the first episode I saw the person was found alive was in Washington State. This married couple weren't too close to their families so it was just the two of them and the wife had two jobs and her husband worked a shift where he didn't get to see her much. She didn't make it to her one job and the husband couldn't get the police to let him file a missing persons report. He had an incredibly difficult time getting them to believe that he hadn't caused his wife's disappearance. The wife's boss started rumors that the husband had done some suspicious things (he hadn't). The police were interrogating him and on the verge of charging him with her disappearance when her jeep was found about 1 1/2 miles from their house overturned. She was still ALIVE, hanging upside down by her seat belt. It was in an area right off the road that was completely covered in trees and stuff in a ravine. She was badly injured by barely alive. So they interviewed her at the end of the show. So that was the first episode I happened to see that gave me hope that sometimes people really are alive.

I'm glad the woman was found alive, but this episode frustrated the heck out of me because of the police/911 operator! I couldn't believe they made the husband jump through so many hoops to try to report his wife missing! She is an adult, and I get that there's a waiting period, but even after that they tried to make him find her on his own. I hope someone got fired over that nonsense.

johomaslu

johomaslu

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

For me the most distressing ones are the Niqui McCown, Kristi Cornwell and Liz and John Calvert cases -- the main, likely suspect kills himself before the police can close in on him and of course has taken great pains to get rid of all evidence, so they just sit there, officially open, but it seems like a miracle would have to happen at this point for any of them to get real resolution.

The other one that always bothered me was the Springfield 3, especially when I saw the interview showing a neighbor who apparently saw one of the girls driving the car with some guy in the backseat ordering them around. It just chills me thinking about their bodies possibly being under that concrete and law enforcement seems not to make it a priority to just check.

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

another episode that is depressing, as the Springfield 3, was the husband, wife and little daughter who went missing in the hills/mountains near where they lived and the only thing found was the pick up truck with the foto of the daughter inside along lots of money. It is scary to think whoever took them probably stuffed them in the trunk of a car as its not to realistic to believe the 3 were put in a back seat and driven off into who knows where.

What amazes me about the Springfield 3 and this family is where did the bodies end up? To me, making one dead body disappear and hoping it would not be found is not an easy thing to do but to make 3 dead people disappear can not be an easy thing at all! And it appears never to be found?-the person who did these crimes could not in a million years believed they were going to get away with making 3 people disappear but it appears they succeeded but will have to live with it as its hard to believe they will be able to keep it to themselves and not eventually say something to someone about it.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 7:19 AM

What amazes me about the Springfield 3 and this family is where did the bodies end up? To me, making one dead body disappear and hoping it would not be found is not an easy thing to do but to make 3 dead people disappear can not be an easy thing at all!

The Jameson family disappeared in a remote, wooded, hilly area. Although law enforcement searched the immediate area fairly thoroughly, it wouldn't take much to hide bodies in that part of the state. I think that they must have been forced into a vehicle and made to drive somewhere. A mere 5 mile trip would take them away from the area that law enforcement searched, and they'd still be in the middle of nowhere.

I'm still torn on whether their disappearance was a crime of circumstance--someone just saw them there at random and decided to kidnap/murder them, or whether they were lured out there. They had $30,000 hidden in their car, which indicates that they may have been meeting someone.

Agree that it is odd that the Springfield 3 haven't been found yet.

Have missed a number of episodes and just saw the Kara Kopetsky/Kelsey Smith episode. I'm sure that the same guy killed both girls and I'm also sure that he'll never 'fess up to it. He's in prison forever (thankfully) so has no incentive to provide any info on Kara's case. Kelsey's kidnapping, caught on video, chilled me to the bone. Who would ever think that they would be in danger in a busy Target parking lot in the middle of the afternoon in broad daylight?

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Yes, Kelseys kidnapping in the Target parking lot was awful. But women(since it appears they are the ones mostly who are confronted in parking lots in these situations) have got to, I believe, learn one thing- never,ever get in the car when confronted by someone. I don't care if someone is holding a gun on you, never get in the car, cause you have got to realize that in all likely hood if you get in the car against your will you are as good as dead. Some may think, well if someone is pointing the gun at you while you are outside of the car and you happen to refuse the demand to get in the car wont the bad guy shoot you then and there? well that is the million dollar question but the way I see it there is a decent chance he wont shoot you while you are out of the car as more then likely he doesn"t want to attract attention to himself when he fires a gun.
It is a gamble not to get in the car when someone is demanding of you but its the gamble I would tell me sisters, friends etc.-do not get in the car. You get in the car-you are more then likely gonna end up dead after god-knows what horrible things are done to you before you are shot.
would be interested to hear other peoples feedback.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

never,ever get in the car when confronted by someone. I don't care if someone is holding a gun on you, never get in the car

That's an almost verbatim quote from my mother when I was growing up. "Better to make them shoot you then and there, at least you won't be raped first". However, from the way they described it in the program, she was the victim of a blitz type attack and may have been punched then thrown in the car. The attack was a blur on the store tape, and it happened over the course of a second or two. I'm not sure that she even had much chance to react. We'll never know of course.

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:37 PM

Tonites episode was initeresting as it appears Charlie the missing UMass student could either have been a suicide or a walk-away disappearance due to a serious mental breakdown.

After watching tonites program, I still have a feeling that there is more to Charlies relationship with his family that is not being mentioned. It seems that his parents, and especially his sister, did not know Charlie as much as they thought. That also goes with his so-called friends(i.e. especially his good buddie who had no idea that Charlie was on meds for the mental health issue and learned of this after Charlie going missing). These good friends also claimed to have no idea that Charlie changed his name until Charlie brought it to their attention. It may be a minor detail in this story, but if my good buddie/or brother changed his name, and I don't care what his reason for doing so is, alarms would be going off as this is not a healthy, normal event in ones life, 'specially at such a young age.

Also wondering why, even though it's no big deal, why didn't the missing posters of Charlie have both his original name and the one he changed it to, on the poster? No big deal but still............

And finally, the big question is where is Charlie? As much as, I think it was his sister who mentioned it or his so-called good friend, Charlie is not somewhere in the southern USA healthy(mentally+physically), playing his favorite sport of tennis and generally in a good place(far from his family, if still alive).
More then likely, either Charlie is dead or if alive he is either in sometype of mental hospital or homeless on the streets of probably a big city(Boston, maybe?). If homeless, he would blend in with the many other young homeless, mentally ill people, that make up many of the homeless on the US streets.

Good luck to you Charlie if you are out there somewhere and RIP if not.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

Another interesting sighting from the program was the newspaper delivery person who claimed to have seen Morgan, with 3 men, around 4a.m. but that the sighting appeared to have been discounted as the 4 people being the remains of a wedding reception. A wedding reception still going on at 4am? That really seems to be stretching the bounds of credibility somewhat.

I just saw this one On Demand and I thought it was very sad, but this part really stuck out for me too. Did they think this woman was just an attention seeker? After they showed her more than once explaining what she saw at 4AM, they kept repeating that Morgan had last been seen on whatever Bridge at something like 10PM. If they discredited the postal worker's story, why show it at all?

I also think the friends were hiding something as far as how incapacitated Morgan was. I remember those years and plenty of girls got shitfaced drunk or high at concerts (especially ones like Metallica), the mother even said they planned to stay near the venue so they wouldn't have to drive home. I can't believe at least one of them wasn't concerned enough that she was going to "find a way home" to go looking for her immediately when they made that phone call. I know me and my group of friends wouldn't have left one of us alone like that trying to find a way home while we enjoyed a concert.

I also wondered why they never interviewed the other sibling, who was only mentioned once. As it turns out from reading her parent's website, it appears that he appears to have been just too traumatized to take part and he's been affected the most by the tragedy. Fortunately, the three of them seem to be picking up the pieces and slowly healing because that seems like something that would be nearly impossible to get over.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 1:30 PM

I think this show brings up an interesting dynamic between males and females and how one goes about life.

It reminds me of a conversation with my brother that was initiated by parking at the mall. He asked me why I didn’t take the closer space to the entrance and I informed him that you never, ever park near a van. When I explained why it lead to all sorts of stuff you never do, like living your drink unattended, use the unisex bathroom, park in shadows, use the side/unobserved parking lot, etc….

I don’t think I know I female who doesn’t have a creepy “someone tried to fuck with my drink” story. He was actually shaken by how many females in his life had disturbing stories when he asked about these rules most of us just take as a matter of course.

Knowing that, at the end of the day, doing all the so-called right things can make absolutely no difference.

always edina

always edina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

The story about Morgan was just sooooo sad.

As the parents of a son, we always emphasized to him that he was to be "protector" when he saw an impaired woman, and watch out for someone who was being exploited...just to know she was probably set up and that others COULD HAVE intervened makes me so very sad for her and her family. We have to be better teachers to our sons and brothers.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

I'm looking forward to the program tomorrow. Looks like there was a resolution to one of the cases, brought about in part by the program.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 12:10 PM

What case was supposed to have an update?

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 12:46 PM

"" Michelle Mccullen-the AA from Pennsylvania who dropped her kid off, headed back to LA for school, and 'disappeared' in 2008. After stealing money from her church. She was hiding out, first in Martinsburg, WV then in CA, where she was captured in January. She was extradited to Pa in March(?) to stand trial for theft and forgery.
Of course, her parents and her lawyers say she's a good girl and the amount of money she 'borrowed' from the church (~$19,000) is exaggerated. And she'd never leave her son.

greendog78

greendog78

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

What case was supposed to have an update?

Michelle McMullen was found alive in CA. A Disappeared viewer spotted her working in a hair salon. Apparently, she really was running from the law. Seems like her parents didn't know her as well as they thought they did.

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

yes, greendog78's observation that Mcmullen parents not knowing their daughter as they thought they did is on the money. It seems that this is getting to be somewhat a common occurrence in some of the episodes of Disappearance as the family members/friends in some of these episodes seem to appear not to know what is up or going on in the lives of some of the people who have gone missing on this show. oh well that is life....................

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks greendog78.

It would be great if the guide listings noted if an episode is updated.

I have often felt that family members and friends don't know everything in lives of the people profiled in the show. This was definitely the case with the McMullen family.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

An update on McMullen, for anyone whose DVR's cut off at "On March 4th 2011" like my DVR did:

http://www.whptv.com...EhG04LMwcg.cspx

greendog78

greendog78

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

No problem. I hope they do a real update later since there must be more to the story than just her sealing money from the church. Abandoning her son and fleeing across the country is pretty drastic.

I have often felt that family members and friends don't know everything in lives of the people profiled in the show.

Yeah, I get that feeling too especially after watching Charlie Allen Jr. and Steven Koecher's stories again.

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

This damn show disturbs the hell out of me, yet I cant stop watching it. The footage of the poor girl who was abducted in broad daylight in the Target parking lot is so disturbing. As a woman I try to be constantly aware of my surroundings and people. Not in a paranoid way but in a "dont f*ck with me" type mode. I NEVER park beside vans but there are times when you park your car in a spot and come out or a store and.....a van is parked beside you or some sort of sketchy vehicle. Better believe I watch it like hawk and back my ass in to my car lock the doors and dont waste time putting my seatbelt....I'm cranking and getting the hell out to there.....
The most disturbing cases for me were the Springfield 3 and the one where the woman went out for a jog and was heard begging someone not to take her....ugh...

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

The most disturbing cases for me were the Springfield 3 and the one where the woman went out for a jog and was heard begging someone not to take her....ugh...

Those are disturbing, to be sure, but at least in those cases the families knew fairly early on that it was a probable homicide situation. For me, the truly disturbing cases are where nobody can figure what happened--murder, suicide (or both), kidnapping, mental breakdown, gone on walkabout?

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

Does anyone know if there are any new episodes in the pipeline? Checked out on a+e tonite its new program 'The First 48-Missing Persons'. Liked it as it has the same production values of 'The First 48". Plus it doesn't hurt that it is taking place in the fantastic city of Chicago!

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

I have often felt that family members and friends don't know everything in lives of the people profiled in the show. This was definitely the case with the McMullen family.

I just saw this one and it really struck me how out of touch the family was with their daughter and maybe even reality. I know there is a tendency to put missing (or dead) people on pedestals, but her parents were a little much. First, they are telling us what a great mother she is because she moved across country to finish her education and she took her son with her. "That's the kind of mother she was." Like that was something out of the ordinary for any mother.

Then later when she was spotted by someone who knew her working in a hotel (I believe) in a town just 30 miles from home, the parents insist it wasn't her because they didn't run DNA. She was spotted by an eye witness! And she disappeared minutes later! You'd think they'd be more relieved that she had been seen alive than worrying about protecting her reputation and blaming shoddy police work.

I don't know, this case made me sad for her son and her delusional parents much more than the "victim."

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

I just saw that episode this weekend and I was under the impression that Michelle's parents would prefer to believe she was dead than alive and on the run from the law. Though I understand their daughter being a criminal is not an ideal situation, I found it bizarre.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

That's why I find this show so interesting -- contrasting the stories that the families tell about the missing persons and what the investigators/police find out. The MacMullen family is the most obvious case, especially since the daughter was found and the theft was uncovered. There have been many other families that haven't been on the up and up with the missing person but it's hard to figure out where actually the truth or the preferred version of the truth lies. For example the Mormon guy who disappeared in Henderson, Nev. -- he saw an old girlfriend before going to Henderson and his mother interviewed that she had no idea that he was in touch with the old girlfriend. So that's a tip-off that the guy was not telling everyone what was going in his life.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

I watched an episode on ID over the weekend about the disappearance of Patti Adkins from the Honda plant in Ohio. What troubled me is that they never mentioned the name of her married boyfriend. Of course, the Internet knows all and his name is Brian Flowers, who claimed he would sue for defamation (or some such nonsense) if his name was mentioned. Since when is it against the law to mention a suspect's name? Why the secrecy about this case?? The whole episode was disturbing—I would have loved to know, despite some significant circumstantial evidence, why Flowers was never prosecuted.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

I wondered that too, both times I saw that episode.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 9:11 AM

That one and the April Pitzer stories both bother me. It's like there's something simmering underneath the surface of both stories that can't be revealed or something. I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but they just make me sad.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 7:52 AM

The whole episode was disturbing—I would have loved to know, despite some significant circumstantial evidence, why Flowers was never prosecuted.

I think that he wasn't prosecuted because they didn't think they had quite enough circumstantial evidence, though I suppose people have been convicted on less. If they wait, there's always the chance that they'll find the body or something else significant will turn up. If they try him and lose, that's it.

What a cold blooded SOB. He gets money from this woman and then murders her when she threatens to become inconvenient. I wonder--is he still married to his wife? Is she one of these delusional women that insists her man is innocent and that he's being persecuted by a malevolent police dept? If I were her, I'd divorce him tout suite.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

I, too, saw the Patti Adkins episode this weekend.

As much as I don't want to judge her actions, why, why didn't at least one person in her life not tell Patti to take a good long look at her choices and realize how sad and ridiculous her life was becoming?
Giving this married guy thousands of dollars with no papers to prove it because he didn't want his wife to find out? Hiding in the back of his pickup truck under a cover so no one would know they were leaving together from work and thinking it was a fun and romantic escapade? This was a grown woman with a child, what was she thinking??

It just seemed odd to me that her sisters kept saying Patti had the biggest heart of anyone they knew yet they were so hesitant to call her out on her bad decisions. Granted, Patti didn't deserve what probably happened to her but she also wasn't completely innocent either. I felt more for her sisters and child than I did for her, which was upsetting.