18-12: "After The Final Rose" 2011.03.14 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

248 replies to this topic

Venee

Venee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I don't understand the portrayal of Brad (and can't believe I'm even defending him) as "leading" Chantal or any of the women on. That's the way the show works. If he fell for Emily on week one he couldn't stop the show and dismiss the rest. He had to stick it out until the end. He could have let Chantal go earlier when she brought that up, but honestly she (nor any of the other desperate woman on these shows) would have accepted the early boot without some resentment or long monologue as to why he didn't "Love Me" or some other nonsense. Note to scorned women: Don't go on this type of show!

goofydogtig

goofydogtig

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 7:05 PM

Did anyone clarify Chris Harrison's words, "knock down, drag-out"? Were there really physical fights? Does he really think Emily can hold her own?

Chris asked if the fights were on the phone, in person.... and they kind of looked at each other, and I think it was Brad who said the phone. Not sure there weren't any in person, but no matter what the truth of Emily's care-taking time is, I think she would be out by now if there was any question of violence that her daughter would be exposed to.

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

But, as someone's daughter said upthread, it's all fake anyway. I'm glad to hear that the ratings are continuing to go down. I don't think the new Bachelorette will help bring them up.

Ratings are actually strong for the show, and are higher now than in the fifth-sixth season when it was on the bubble for cancellation. The Bachelorette is a summer show. The b'ette never brings in as high a ratings as the Bachelor, for whatever reason, but it does great for a summer show.

Which makes me glad, because I find the entire franchise entertaining in its own bizarre way... Love the discussion here, and if the show went away, I'd miss that. Some of the staging is fake, but enough of it is real that I find the relationship successes (Trista, Jason, Ali) and implosions (Jake/Vienna, Brad/Emily) fascinating.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:17 PM

Some of the staging is fake, but enough of it is real that I find the relationship successes (Trista, Jason, Ali) and implosions (Jake/Vienna, Brad/Emily) fascinating.

Agreed, which is also why I watch Bachelor Pad. It's so interesting to me all of the relationships that have come out of this show and it's random cast reunions.

That said, I don't think that just because there haven't been many marriages doesn't mean that real relationships didn't come out of this show. I loved Charlie and Sarah and felt like they gave it so much effort to work, and God Bless the mess that is Byron and Mary, but they were together for ages too. I guess I'm glad that the people on this show end up taking marriage seriously in the long run. And as much as an Emily apologist I've been all season (and I still love her pointing out that she would have been fun on the show if given an opportunity, and that she would have picked Chantal based on what she saw), I am so glad that for her sake and her kiddo's sake that she didn't jump into this head first. Especially since she's gotten to know Brad better and isn't liking all that she sees.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Some of the staging is fake, but enough of it is real that I find the relationship successes (Trista, Jason, Ali).

I wouldn’t call Ali’s relationship a success just yet. I think Ali/Roberto belongs in the same category as Andrew/Jen, Byron/Mary and Charlie/Sarah; couples that met on the show, lived together for awhile and eventually split. I have a feeling those two will never make it to the altar.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:00 AM

All the pictures of Elizabeth Taylor that we're seeing right now remind me of Chantal. On those rare moments when she wasn't crying, particularly at the Final Rose when she had her hair up, she looked a little like young Liz to me. If she had carried herself with a little more poise she probably would have seemed just as "classy, to Brad as Emily did. I would have liked Chantal as the B-ette.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

All the pictures of Elizabeth Taylor that we're seeing right now remind me of Chantal.

But the story of how her third husband died totally reminds me of Emily.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

Wow, it's almost word for word..."If Elizabeth hadn't been feeling ill."

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Wow, it's almost word for word..."If Elizabeth hadn't been feeling ill."

Yeah, it made me wonder if Emily borrowed some of that for her "narrative". (This story isn't new, it's just being re-published due to Elizabeth's death.)