18-11: "Brad Chooses The One He Wants To Marry" 2011.03.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

BlondNotStupid

BlondNotStupid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

if her story of having dated Ricky for 4 years before he died are correct, she dated him while he was engaged to another woman.

And wouldn't that have made her underage? Ricky's 5/6 + 9 months +4 years dating-----isn't she 24 now? Do the math.

Emily's DOB is 2/1/86. Ricky Hendrick died in October 2004. She was 18 when he died. He was 24. If they dated for 4 years she was 15 and he was 21 when they started dating. IMO, that's a huge age difference (between 15 and 21).

While I was watching Brad and Emily's conversation about parenting, I thought Brad overreacted. She had a legitimate point and I understood why she felt the need to dig into the issue. But after thinking about it, I do think she was a bit condescending. I'm not sure how she could have conveyed how serious she was without being that way though, because Brad wasn't picking up on her signals. She also wasn't picking up on his. He was trying to let her know how he felt without actually telling her he was going to pick her.

I didn't watch this entire run. But when Brad got flustered/angry when Emily was questioning him about being a father, I wondered if perhaps this was the gazillionith time she had asked him these questions. Even without having watched the entire run I figured out quickly that Emily repeats herself. A lot.

Interesting point, ItsJustTVLizzie. Also, take a look at the second photo down on that page--that is totally the pose people who know they're pregnant do. I'd love to know when that picture was taken in relation to the day he died, and subsequently the true story about the blessed event, because I don't buy the TV-scripted story for a second.

I watch NASCAR and remember the day of the plane crash. Nothing was said about a fiance at the time. Sometime later I remember hearing that Ricky's girlfriend (not fiance, she was described as his girlfriend) was pregnant and due in late June. I quickly counted backwards and realized she was not very far along when he died. The people who were relating the story (and I can't remember where I heard it; may have been an interview with Rick Hendrick, Rikki's grandfather) said at that time that Emily found out she was pregnant after he died. The show may have milked the story for all it's worth but the basic chronology seems correct.

Eyeland Baybee

Eyeland Baybee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

Maybe they won't make it.
Maybe they will.
Maybe I don't care.
But YEAH, chalk one up for the single mothers!!!!!!!! It's about time a decent girl with a child not only made it past the handful of sympathy dates but actually WON!!!

angelmom1

angelmom1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

To give Emily a little credit here, those were important facts to the story, not just trying to set an atmosphere.

There are important facts in the story of everyone who dies an early death. The point is that you don't need to trot out a ten minute story with every person the first time you meet. Brad's mom really didn't need to know every detail of Ricky's death did she? I think it is inappropriate and Emily only uses it to further embrace her ideal of being the Nascar widow.

Ciarrai

Ciarrai

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 1:11 AM

In that photo with Ricky and Emily's ring, she almost looks like Ali. Way better without the fake tan, fake boobs and veneers.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 6:24 AM

There are important facts in the story of everyone who dies an early death. The point is that you don't need to trot out a ten minute story with every person the first time you meet. Brad's mom really didn't need to know every detail of Ricky's death did she? I think it is inappropriate and Emily only uses it to further embrace her ideal of being the Nascar widow.

I agree. I also think it's a calculated way to deflect the focus from her barely legal, unmarried status by immersing everyone in the tragedy/miracle/timing of it all. "See, I could have died too...I should have died...I wanted to die...but then the miracle happened."

No one's going to question her after a story like that. They're just going to say, "poor, brave Emily" and turn her into a saint basically for being just another baby mama. I'm sure she's had great success with that story, so why stop using it now? Merely saying "Rikki's father died in a plane crash" wouldn't get nearly the same play.

Edited by HughKenrick, Mar 16, 2011 @ 7:27 AM.

pitchy

pitchy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 7:47 AM

Re the twin brothers and their looks, the thing I noticed was that Chad looked and sounded so much more natural. Brad always looks tense, his jaws clenched. But most of all, it's his eyes. They tend to look freaked out almost all the time - very intense.

And I don't think Emily was -as- upset by his actions with the other women but that he kept saying the SAME things to them as he did with her?

"I've missed you.
"I'm SO glad to see you."
"May I ..... ____ PLEASE..."
"I miss your family." or... "I miss your daughter."
"I really care about you. I mean that."

He has stock things that he just said to all, so if they seemed meaningful to her when she heard them coming her way, she realized he says this to all of them.

Then on top of all that, the snuggling (esp with Chantal, which seemed more intimate than with the others and more natural) would be upsetting.

To someone who asked if he was reading his proposal, yes, he kept looking down to check the words - it was distracting me.
But, as he said, he's not that articulate a guy. And he did say he wrote it and had been working on it.

All in all, I really don't get the impression she was ever that interested in him for a proposal though. I think it was a way to get better tv jobs, maybe more opportunities to meet other men. But, for all I know, she may really like him a lot and is just reserved about it.

Strangest of all, I think the fact they both were so willing to speak about their problems in detail and then decided not to do the usual round of tv shows and normal publicity (except for People maybe) -- that would seem a good sign that they're serious.

Many don't mention that she used the word 'temper' in a sense that she said she had a 'temper' too.

But that clenched jaw look of his -- it's pervasive. i think that his tears upon seeing his family point to his feeling pretty wound up and that there is real sentimentality there too. And a sincere searching for family of his own.

Not an easy road for either of them.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

Pregnancy would have been a big reason for Emily's not taking that Last Flight.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 8:54 AM

Re the twin brothers and their looks, the thing I noticed was that Chad looked and sounded so much more natural. Brad always looks tense, his jaws clenched. But most of all, it's his eyes. They tend to look freaked out almost all the time - very intense.

Am I remembering completely wrong, or didn't Chad and Brad look a lot more alike on his first season? Chad was able to fool some of the women into thinking he was Brad on that season, and I just don't see anyone falling for it as they both looked on this episode, and it wasn't just the different hair.

Edited by KerleyQ, Mar 16, 2011 @ 8:54 AM.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 9:14 AM

Am I remembering completely wrong, or didn't Chad and Brad look a lot more alike on his first season? Chad was able to fool some of the women into thinking he was Brad on that season, and I just don't see anyone falling for it as they both looked on this episode, and it wasn't just the different hair.

They did go out of their way to make the twins look alike for that "switch" encounter. But once the egg splits, the two zygotes-through-fetuses experience differences in the womb in terms of exposure to hormones and a few other things I understand only peripherally. Anyway, there are always differences in identical twins, and one of the places to look in males is the space between their eyes. One twin will always have his eyes closer together than the other. (In females, chin length is supposedly different.) There will also be a height difference and a vocal difference.

The women who were fooled by Chad in Brad's first season weren't paying good attention, and Brad cut them quickly. One of the final six wasn't fooled for a split second, OTOH. As Chad was walking into the room, she looked alarmed, leapt to her feet, pointed at him, and said, "You're not Brad!" I think that was Bettina, but it might have been another blonde.

tiggertwo

tiggertwo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

And I don't think Emily was -as- upset by his actions with the other women but that he kept saying the SAME things to them as he did with her?

"I've missed you.
"I'm SO glad to see you."
"May I ..... ____ PLEASE..."
"I miss your family." or... "I miss your daughter."
"I really care about you. I mean that."

He has stock things that he just said to all, so if they seemed meaningful to her when she heard them coming her way, she realized he says this to all of them.

This is so true! Of course, I was watching, thinking that Chantal was the 'winner', so I kept paying attention to what he said to her. Remember when she was so upset during the SI date and he gave Ashley the rose? He kept saying to her 'just trust me' or something. I thought he was trying to hint that she was the no brainer choice who would make it all the way to the end, so those words made sense to me at the time.

sftw

sftw

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

Quick question -- wonder if Chantal had to fly all the way home by herself?

Makemelaugh

Makemelaugh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

I wonder if for privacy reasons the Hendricks had approval of how little Ricki's father could be portrayed, so the show legally had to follow a certain script when talking about him and that's why discussion of what happened to him was so repetitive and so unlike the normal way of telling that story.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

Quick question -- wonder if Chantal had to fly all the way home by herself?

I've been wondering the same thing. Does the "runner up" have to leave immediately, or do they at least get to hang out for a day or two, swill some cocktails, hook up with a camera guy and reflect on their experience of being dumped on TV before getting shipped back home? It would seem especially callous of the show to just dump them off at the airport, esp. for Chantal in that awful dress she was wearing.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Does the "runner up" have to leave immediately, or do they at least get to hang out for a day or two, swill some cocktails, hook up with a camera guy and reflect on their experience of being dumped on TV before getting shipped back home?

Chelsea (F2 in Matt Grant's season, the fakest of the fakiest) was there long enough to escape her handlers, head to the hotel bar, and vent to some tourists. This, of course, made it to the spoilers for that season, but not until fairly late in the process. So I think they do get to stay overnight, though probably not in the same hotel as the "happy couple."

And why am I answering all these questions today? I think I hate myself for knowing some of these Bach-history things. Gaacckk!!!

ETA: And I believe Matt's season followed Brad's, which is why they hired an actress to be F1 if Matt didn't actually fall for anyone. They weren't going to have a non-choice again. Hence the Shayne Show. And she was a really bad actress, too. He was a British accountant (or something) and ended up falling for a Hollywood accountant. Or something like that. They were in the same business.

Edited by ClaireO, Mar 16, 2011 @ 2:24 PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

I wonder if Brad's plan from that slap was a "get back." Hey, he says he has anger issues!

pitchy

pitchy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 1:47 AM

tiggertwo,
Re the same words that almost everyone got from Brad:

This is so true! Of course, I was watching, thinking that Chantal was the 'winner', so I kept paying attention to what he said to her. Remember when she was so upset during the SI date and he gave Ashley the rose? He kept saying to her 'just trust me' or something. I thought he was trying to hint that she was the no brainer choice who would make it all the way to the end, so those words made sense to me at the time.

Yah, sure do remember that. I remember thinking at the time that he was trying to hint that Chantal was guaranteed a rose that night so that he -would- be visiting her family and he said that there were other roses to be handed out yet.

There was a serious lack of sensitivity with him in that everytime a gal who told him she was already over-involved got tearful because (1) he made out with someone else in front of her OR (2) he had just chosen her to leave the show --- instead of understanding as almost any human would, he would say "Are you okay? What's wrong? Why are you acting like this? "

Can you imagine him as a husband ???

(I did like seeing that when he asked Chantal during his final rejection "Are you okay?" -- she said "No.")

goofydogtig

goofydogtig

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 8:46 AM

Why are you acting like this? "

Total lack of empathy. He said this over and over to anyone who reacted in a manner different from what he expected or wanted. It places the blame on the other person. I think he should be forced to be on the Bachelorette and see what it's like from the other side.

if for privacy reasons the Hendricks had approval of how little Ricki's father could be portrayed, so the show legally had to follow a certain script when talking about him and that's why discussion of what happened to him was so repetitive and so unlike the normal way of telling that story.

Except that the story didn't have to be told. "My fiancé/Ricki's father died in a plane crash." That's all people need to know. Wasn't there a previous mother or widow whose husband died in a plane crash? I don't remember hearing the story other than the time she told the Bachelor.
I'm surprised that Brad didn't tell his family ahead of time. But then he didn't seem to want it brought up, judging from his reaction when his brother asked the question. Emily decided to answer the question, and out came the whole story again. And up until then, I thought his family was solidly behind Chantal. Before the tears for the poor widowed mother.

Pregnancy would have been a big reason for Emily's not taking that Last Flight.

Except that she says she didn't know she was pregnant until after he died. Although I think in one telling of the story I think she said that she wasn't feeling well that morning, so that could have been morning sickness.

Has anyone come up with an explanation of the picture of her wearing an engagement ring,and being called a girlfriend in the obituary?

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

Oh, I know what Emily SAYS NOW, as she re-tells the Epic. ;-)

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

Since she also prefaces her long story with 'he was the love of my life', I don't get how Brad's family equates this with her being the one. I also don't get how poised and ladylike she supposedly is. She got pregnant as a teenager who was having sex with a man who was engaged to another woman. She wears ten pounds of Holly Madison makeup and seems desperate to have her life revolve around Nascar. This doesn't sound remotely classy to me.

Absolutely. Emily strikes me as the ultimate fake. She's kind of white-trashy, but tries to give the impression that she is Madonna-like, regal and untouchable. Her looks are fake and she appears to have no personality whatsoever. She kind of creeps me out. If she's trying to break into acting, she could totally play an alien or robot programmed to seem "human." In real life, though, that should be a deal breaker -- that in addition to her pining for her dead fiance (if even that is genuine) and her "mission" to protect her child, despite the fact that she had no qualms about leaving said child for a couple of months so that she could pursue her interest in famewhoring.

On the other hand, I also think Brad is a total creep, so they probably deserve each other. No way in hell these two will ever marry, though. There doesn't appear to be any type of connection between the two of them. She wants fame/money/whatever and I think he wants to continue his single life, which is why he chose a woman with so much emotional baggage and so little to offer.

Chantal most definitely dodged a bullet. I hope she is happy with the new man in her life because she deserves way better than Brad.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 3:54 PM

Maybe they'll forget Ashley H. and the next Bachelorette will feature a lovely young woman with a southern accent who will tell this sad story: " I was happily engaged to the man of my dreams, we had set the date and started to plan our wedding, when one dark and stormy morning he was killed in a plane crash. My heart was broken in two and I thought I could sink no lower. Then, the very evening of his funeral, some over-bleached floozie stepped forward and said she was pregnant with my future husband's child. My already broken heart was now crushed beneath the heel of her patent leather boots to realize that he had cheated on me the night before his death. Ricky and I's love was forever tarnished and now I am afraid to open up and trust again. Will I ever find true love?"

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

HAH!! Good one, JudyObscure.

I totally agree that she didn't have to tell that long, drawn out story about her tragic past. Mr. Snooky and I were saying the same thing when we watched. So much more classy to be a little circumspect, and just say the basics to people you've just met. Heck, on Good Morning America the following morning, Melissa voice-overed the whole thing in a sentence. Her fiance died in a plane crash, and she discovered a few days later she was pregnant. That's all she had to say. Details can always come out later, or if asked. The whole speechifying aspect of it turned me off, as did the "love of my life" spiel. What was she, 17 at the time? Seriously, the love of her life? What a turn-off to hear that for any guy she tries to date.

We did have another sob story, a southern widow who had a daughter, whose husband died in a plane crash when their daughter was an infant. Her story touched me much more, because she didn't repeat it at every opportunity, she was married for several years, and she didn't seem to be playing on it just to garner attention for herself as a victim. And, unlike Emily, she already knew she was ready to find love again (Emily seemed to magically come to that revelation after circling the track a few times on the Vegas Nascar date... yeah, right.)

Edited by GlamSnooky, Mar 17, 2011 @ 5:24 PM.

sparkareno

sparkareno

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

Heck, on Good Morning America the following morning, Melissa voice-overed the whole thing in a sentence. Her fiance died in a plane crash, and she discovered a few days later she was pregnant.

Wait--Melissa's mug is still getting on TV?? Jeez, I wish she would take those ginormous teeth of hers and go away.

Babylonia

Babylonia

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

Thanks Glamsnooky, for giving us People's link to Stephanie's interview. I only saw the later part of Jason's season, so I didn't remember her. Anyway, I thought her comment about her four-year-old daughter Sophia being on the show was interesting, and might help to defray some of the conflict and controversy over Emily doing the same with her daughter Ricki.

Does Sophia understand what you were doing with the show? She doesn't know she was on TV. She hardly watched -- she's very busy. During last week's episode where I made my exit, she was outside in the garage painting. I wasn't going to say, ‘You sit in here and watch this.' I want her to be a child. I want to be furthest from a stage mama.

If it wasn't that big a deal for Sophia, maybe it didn't affect Ricki as much as I thought it would either, although I"m not sure if Sophia was as shy as Ricki. I think Emily has enough going against her that she doesn't really deserve to be raked over the coals about her child-rearing. Same with the teeth. I don't think I'm the most unobservant person, but I don't see where her teeth are the most significant part of her appearance. As long as they don't look like Bugs Bunny, or are missing or are fang-like (hey, Madison!), who cares?

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

Can't speak for anyone else but when I criticize a woman for leaving her very young child for a reality show, it's not so much seeing themselves on TV I worry about, but having the center of their world disappear for two months. My husband was four when his mother left him, along with his two brothers, at a child care center for a few days while she went into the hospital. In spite of the fact that it was all explained to him ahead of time and his brothers were there, he still thought she was gone forever and it really kind of traumatized him. Time is different for kids.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 5:43 PM

I don't think I'm the most unobservant person, but I don't see where her teeth are the most significant part of her appearance. As long as they don't look like Bugs Bunny, or are missing or are fang-like (hey, Madison!), who cares?

I think Emily's fake teeth are obnoxious and distracting. It's really unattractive how unnaturally big they make her mouth look. I guess it might not be so bad if she wasn't constantly running her tongue over them, as if they felt as funny as they looked.

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 6:20 PM

I also find her teeth distracting. What bugs me is how they catch over her lower lip. Her teeth didn't look bad in her high school pictures, so I wonder what made her go for veneers in the first place. It reinforces my impression that she has aspirations to be a model or on TV.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 6:42 PM

Judy Obscure, this is the best part of your comment:

Ricky and I's

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

"Love of my life"? Maybe. Maybe "Meal-ticket!" also.