S11: Star Jones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

145 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Here's the thing with Star--and why I suspect people have this reaction to her. She talks everything up in this condescending "my shit don't stink" way. Maybe it's the tone, or maybe its just being repetitive with her talking points (like with mentioning her charity more, mentioning her education more).

Didn't anyone tell you? Star's shit DOESN'T stink. It smells like flowers.

I think the overall idea here is that she's condescending. And she has that aspect of it which is often due to a secret lack of self-respect (which outwardly manifests as this kind of boastfulness). We all know these folks... the ones who talk big because inside they feel 3 inches tall. That's Star in a nutshell.

I thought it was HILARIOUS in the last episode how she did her usual parrot-squawk about "my specialty is brand integration and messaging", which for all but a few people in the advertising game with specific schooling which Star doesn't have, is a bullshit way of saying they do nothing and... she did nothing.

In the latest Newsweek, there's an article about how terribly reality TV portrays black women. Of course Star and Nene are mentioned.

Articles like that act like its a deliberate "choice" by reality TV. But really its a combination of the quality of ANY person who goes on Reality TV, and the fact that sensible smart black women KNOW BETTER and don't subject themselves to the process.

You know, what's really telling is watching Star's conversation with Meatloaf outside the boardroom. It echoes the earlier one with NeNe. The statement where Star says "you have to come with MY credentials to get to debate me".

Think about that. That's Star's passive-aggressive escape clause. That nobody else is on her level, so she doesn't have to bother to deal with them when she's on the ropes.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

She "forgot" about the clause?

http://newyorkpost.c...Q5gHSklXM03Y2BM

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:10 AM

She "forgot" about the clause?

Gasp! How could she? As she herself tells people constantly... "I'm a lawyer!"

SpecialBrew

SpecialBrew

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

This last episode--for me--was very interesting because it shows how I WANT to like Star but I just can't due not as much to her actions but to her condescention and attitude.

I loathe Donald Trump and I think it was beyond stupid that he kept bringing up the "sweetie" comment by Meatloaf. Trump is a chauvinist at best and a bigot at worst. I think Star's arguments are valid and 100% correct about the difference between a man saying "honey, sweetie or baby" as a start off to a debate to a woman or saying it casually over lunch to a female friend.

And yet, it was hard for me to see Star as authentic in this argument. She's quandered all respect I have for her and so even though I thought she was "in the right" here in theory I couldn't help but want to poke holes or question her argument.

Also, bringing up "I'm a lawyer--you don't have my credentials!" during that childish exchange with Meat Loaf made me cringe. For both of them.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

Interesting contrast between Star being so outraged and offended by Meat Loaf calling her "sweetie" and her hitting on John Rich. I already hated her, now I feel justified.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

I got what Star meant about being called "sweetie" in the midst of an argument. That said, she had NO problem with Mark McGrath calling her "Toots" and being fussed over by the guys when she joined Backbone. Maybe if Meatloaf had been some hot young thing, she wouldn't have minded being called "sweetie." Who knows.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

Maybe if Meat Loaf hadn't used words like "sweetie" and "young woman" to put her down during an argument, it wouldn't have been a problem. Or maybe if they hadn't been waiting to go back to the boardroom. Or maybe if Meat wasn't batshit crazy. Maybe it's the liberal in me, but I'm lost as to this idea that if it's okay for one man to say or do something to you, it should be okay for any and all men.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

That's not what I said. And I acknowledged that I got what Star was saying about being called "Sweetie" in the midst of a debate. Given how upset she was about being called baby, honey, sweetie etc. I was surprised that she didn't have a reaction to being called "Toots" while amongst the men.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 11:59 AM

Maybe it's the liberal in me, but I'm lost as to this idea that if it's okay for one man to say or do something to you, it should be okay for any and all men.

That's not the liberal in you, that is plain logical. I agree with you 100%.

Some may be totally OK with being called "baby", "toots", "honey", "sweetie" or "boy" (like in Jon Rich's case) in a professional environment and some may take offense. IMO, there is no such thing as "right" or "wrong" here - people have the right to feel or not to feel offended. And yes, it does depend on who calls you that.

But the important thing here is to remember what is and what isn't appropriate in a professional environment. Using a person's name is always appropriate ... and that's all that matters. I believe that Gary, Meat and Mark should've been a bit more sensitive in this professional environment.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

That's not what I said. And I acknowledged that I got what Star was saying about being called "Sweetie" in the midst of a debate. Given how upset she was about being called baby, honey, sweetie etc. I was surprised that she didn't have a reaction to being called "Toots" while amongst the men.

Because Star likes being ego stroked, and that's what Toots was in that circumstance.

Madhoo

Madhoo

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

What Star is doing is exactly what gives feminist-hating folks more ammo. If it is wrong for men to do something to Star, it is wrong for Star do the same too. How do we know John Rich and his wife are not creeped out by her remarks? Just because they are playing it cool doesn't make it ok for Star.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

What Star is doing is exactly what gives feminist-hating folks more ammo.

And heaven knows that should be her guiding star - the approval of anti-feminists. Especially considering their history towards educated women of color.

How do we know John Rich and his wife are not creeped out by her remarks?

Because TPTB would've eaten that up.

Madhoo

Madhoo

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

It is not about woman of color or needing the approval of anti-feminists. I consider myself a feminist and it makes me mad when I see a grown woman "wanting to be taken care of" by a bunch of men, groveling to be accepted by the cool guys and then turn around and claim to be offended by the not- cool-guy's term of endearment. I don't like women playing the games as much as I don't like it when men do.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

Star's unlikable enough without saying she gives X a bad name.

Edited by junemeatcleaver, May 21, 2011 @ 12:37 PM.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 5:44 PM

and then turn around and claim to be offended by the not- cool-guy's term of endearment.

So Star really wasn't offended - she was just claiming to be? She's "playing games"? That's a rather anti-feminist POV. In fact, it's pretty anti-woman, period. "She's just pretending not to like me because I'm not hot! You know how women are!" Or maybe she genuinely doesn't like Meat Loaf because he's a lunatic.

And who was Star groveling to? Nobody on Backbone seems to have had a problem with her. I don't think Lil Jon cares all that much for Star, but we don't see them clashing.

Edited by RentEmSpoons, May 21, 2011 @ 5:48 PM.

Madhoo

Madhoo

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

Wow - way to read "anti-woman" into what was pretty obvious. Star loved Meatloaf in just the task prior, so there was no indication of her hating him for being a lunatic. Star was groveling to Trump who was more misogynistic than Meatloaf could ever be.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

Let's all tone it down a bit. You can state your opinions about Star without making it personal -- or if you can't, then don't post.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 7:22 AM

Star's comment about credentials to her co-star in a reality TV show of all things, demonstrates that, when it suits her, she buys into using status and hierarchy as a means of getting the upper hand.

Edited by Tafatia, May 23, 2011 @ 7:24 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

Wow. Her comments in the finale make her look even WORSE.

Nene is a lot of things. Most of them negative. Threatened by other strong women? Check. Stubborn and at times kind of dim. Check. But RACIST?

Star pulling the "she tried to make every black woman look bad" card? Come on. Heck, I doubt Nene even counts LaToya as "black"!

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

Self-loathing is quite real, and black people showing out and showing off for white people is hardly a new thing. What Star was saying was that NeNe pick fights with all the black contestants on the show, but none of the white ones. Even Hope was only the subject of NeNe's wrath because of Star. I think Star chose a bad time to bring it up, but her point is certainly valid, IMO.

Edited by RentEmSpoons, May 23, 2011 @ 4:03 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Well yeah. But its really something for Star to point this finger, since Star herself seems to have sicked NeNe on every person she went after, excepting Star herself.

Not to mention, are we forgetting Lisa? I suppose Hope is easy to overlook, seeing as how she did next to nothing, but Lisa, as short as her time there was, also was targeted by NeNe ("we have to get rid of her" was the quote from NeNe, I believe, or something close).

I think its more accurate to say that NeNe is threatened by ALL other women. Not just the black ones. If you are female, she'll stick a knife in your gut eventually (whereas Star will stick it in your back).

Edited by WileyCoyote, May 24, 2011 @ 6:43 AM.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

Not to mention, are we forgetting Lisa?

You have to admit that isn't hard to do. :)

Sixdogs

Sixdogs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

My pet peeve about Star is that she feels she is so much better and so much smarter than anyone else. But it's mostly just in her own mind.

She keeps going on about how "classy" she is (the designer outfits, telling us all the places she goes and all the expensive places she stays in). Well, those things don't make you classy - that's more about how you act, how you live your life. Trashing others at every chance is not "classy".

It cracked me up in the of the middle of the season when you was wearing a lovely white jacket and then she took the jacket off. The sleeveless top underneath wasn't quite the right size to hide her bra straps - the entire strap was hanging out on both sides. Real classy. More like a Nene outfit.

Also, in the finale she is asked which of the two finalists she likes better (phrased something like "which one do you like better?"). She responds by saying something like "Well, Mr. Trump, you asked an open ended question" as an excuse for not wanting to answer. This is followed by a smug little smile, as though the brilliant trial attorney is so much smarter than those around her. Only it wasn't an open ended question - just the opposite. It was clearly a close ended question which required a specific, very short answer. I have this feeling that Star does that a lot - just throws out phrases that make her sound clever, assuming that no one around her will know the difference.

Her ability to cut people off at the knees is undisputed, but I really didn't see a lot of talent when it came to actually accomplishing things. Some of the stuff she did was just bad. I remember the flyer she designed for the Pizza Place challenge. It was awful! Just full of tiny words and pictures that no one would ever notice. The flyer designed by the men's team was good - a few words that were straight to the point, on a background of contrasting colors. But Star lives in her own little word - I'm sure she never even noticed.

Classy and smart? Only in her own mind.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

Also, in the finale she is asked which of the two finalists she likes better (phrased something like "which one do you like better?"). She responds by saying something like "Well, Mr. Trump, you asked an open ended question" as an excuse for not wanting to answer. This is followed by a smug little smile, as though the brilliant trial attorney is so much smarter than those around her. Only it wasn't an open ended question - just the opposite. It was clearly a close ended question which required a specific, very short answer. I have this feeling that Star does that a lot - just throws out phrases that make her sound clever, assuming that no one around her will know the difference.

This. I always got a kick out of watching Star on this show when she would say something stupid or nonsensical, followed by the shit-eating grin and look of triumph, like she just got the upper hand somehow. Totally delusional.

SpecialBrew

SpecialBrew

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Self-loathing is quite real, and black people showing out and showing off for white people is hardly a new thing. What Star was saying was that NeNe pick fights with all the black contestants on the show, but none of the white ones. Even Hope was only the subject of NeNe's wrath because of Star. I think Star chose a bad time to bring it up, but her point is certainly valid, IMO.

I think there is truth to this.

What creeped me out more was how Donald Trump seemed to relish/encourage/expect all the women of color to fight it out for his entertainment. His attitude (and I admit here his Obama birth certificate stuff is probably intensifying this feeling in me) set off my "racial spidey-sense" more than Star or NeNe.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

True or not, and it is debateable, what did Star think that she would accomplish by bringing this up in a debriefing for a reality TV show in response to a question posed by Donald Trump of all things?

Edited by Tafatia, May 28, 2011 @ 12:15 PM.