S11: Gary Busey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

He's crazy, somewhat tragic and his mugshot is the stuff of legend but with one toss of his miracle pepperoni he won my heart. I hope he wins the whole thing.

Go Gary!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

He no longer really has the mental capacity to win much more than the title of Dogcatcher, but he certainly is fun to watch.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

"BEW-see, not BUH-see. BEW-see, not BUH-see." - written on my wall

4Rocks

4Rocks

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 5:54 AM

I like his do anything attitude. He has done exceptional well. Loved is doesn't fit pepperoni suit. He's 5 year old boy was spot one. He won my heart. I do believe it would be easier to deal with him than most of the ladies.

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

He's so unsettling and at the same time it kind of tears at my heart to watch him. I think he was always a bit off, but he's had so much bad happen to him. I hope he's really okay now. It's sad to watch him struggle to comprehend what's going on.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

It's sad to watch him struggle to comprehend what's going on.

This is why he is not okay. This is very very sad.

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 5:22 AM

Something about Gary Busey makes me want to cook breakfast for him and let him ramble about stuff in my kitchen. I do like the way the men are with him. They seem to recognize he is way off and they show a lot of kindness to him.

And didn't Marlee (think that's her name) help him get hearing aids?

edited for typo

Edited by hissyfit, Mar 29, 2011 @ 5:22 AM.

jojo1010

jojo1010

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 5:51 AM

Yes, Marlee called her Dr. to the hotel and he was fitted with two hearing aids.
When someone had a brain operation, they are never the same. He could be a five year old one day and the next day he could be older.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

One thing I've wondered about Gary- He's had a lot of acting gigs since his accident- and seems to pull them off just fine. For example, I remember thinking his motorcycle accident came after he had filmed Point Blank and Predator 2- because he's really good and on the mark in those movies- But he did those AFTER having his accident. But in all the reality shows he's been on he is REALLY out there. So, is it a case where he is capable of pulling it together for an acting gig but being himself is too much. Or is it that he's gotten worse over the years and maybe is no longer capable of having a significant role in a major movie. (I have to admit, I haven't seen him act in anything lately. Not anything big budget anyway. I've only seen him on these Celebreality type shows)

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

On the Camping World episode Ivanka seemed to think that Gary's behavior is somewhat "schtick" , as she asked Jose in the camper. The producers probably told him to turn on the crazy for the camera.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Its also at least possible that Ivanka isn't aware of his medical history. Or did he actually talk about it in the boardroom by that point?

lanhub

lanhub

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

I took a cognitive science class in college and we saw a documentary about how a man was in a car accident - he used to be an orchestra conductor - and he had lost his short-term memory. In the movie, they showed him introducing himself to his wife, looking away for a few seconds, then looking back at his wife and re-introducing himself to his wife. He wasn't able to do a lot of the simple tasks...like he forgot what utensil to use to eat soup, etc.

In another part of the documentary, they showed him in front of an orchestra and he was able to retain that aspect of his brain, conduct the orchestra on scores that he had memorized, give suggestions to orchestra members. It was as though he had never had an accident. They interviewed the musicians - some of whom had played with him before his accident - and they said that it was unbelievable about how, once he steps on the podium, he's like how he was before, but once he steps off the podium, he can't remember how he got up there.

So the brain is a really complicated thing. It's possible that Gary has retained some of of the artistic bits of things, but when it comes to everyday tasks/conversation, he's not able to function properly.

However, I think that a lot of it is a ploy to throw people off as Trump had mentioned and Marlee confirmed in the boardroom. In a way, I also think Gary is lazy and he knows that if he plays the victim, other people will do things for him. Don't get me wrong though...he's definitely drunk too much of the crazy water, lol.

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 5:46 AM

If I remember right, the part of the brain that sustained the damage was the part that controls emotional response. Gary has a hard time responding correctly emotionally to situations. I remember on that celebrity rehab show he was in a group session and Dr. Drew was explaining this and Gary said (and I'm paraphrasing) "I know I'm supposed to feel bad about this, but I can't. I'm trying though"

lonelyteardrop

lonelyteardrop

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

After last night's epi, all I could think is thanks to Mark's TH, we now know that in addition to being addled beyond belief, Gary's breath is gamey.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 3:04 PM

Gary was interviewed by one of our local radio shows recently and he sounded fine. A little slurry but he spoke in intelligent complete sentences, no word salads, and without turning regular words into acronyms.

His head injury has affected him but it's also clear that he's playing up the crazy on TV for attention. It was fun for a few episodes but after two BS firings (Mark, Hatch) and especially after his inappropriate behavior with the execs and lying about it later, he's long past his expiration date.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Busey Bankrupt!!!!

Let's See........

Busey
And
No
Kash, oops, that don't work.

How about....

Busey
Ain't
No
King
Round, dang, this is hard.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

re: Episode 1

Do you ever want to hand Gary Busey a knife?

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

I'd give him one over Piers.

Just to pick someone (who completely deserves it), Piers Morgan seems the kind of guy who might want to go on a killing spree but knows he should't do it. Gary Busey lacks that restraint. Which means if he hasn't stabbed anyone yet, he clearly doesn't want to.

I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd want to manage, but he might be one of the most genuinely nice people you'll ever see on this show, because he doesn't have it in him to fake it.

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

WHY is he still on this show? He contributes nothing (and sometimes his behavior is actually detrimental), he's completely nuts, as well as being a bit sad to watch. Oh, yeah, Trump...he's a poet. Right. He's a rambling, damaged guy who USED to be a brilliant actor. I don't get why he stays while others get sent home. Bugs me. It's not even good TV (IMHO).

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

I agree, ObstinantGirl, it's not good TV. I am uncomfortable when he's on because I pity him. His disability is being exploited if he is even half as brain damaged as everyone thinks he is. Would a person with CP, or Down's Syndrome be used in the same way? Would it be funny if someone with Tourrett's Syndrome was cast on a show like this to be played up for laughs?

Apart from that, I think Gary needs to be the next to go. They are getting down to the nitty gritty, and Gary is clearly out of his league.

Edited by FreakyBunny, Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:56 AM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Just watched last week's boardroom. I applaud Lisa and Penn for sticking to the plan regarding Gary--don't tick him off because (imo) they see the scary temper underneath the inappropriate comments and babbling acronyms (sorry, the poetry). I think they've learned to always keep it positive with him, and if there's any negative, just stick with facts -- and still give the compliments ("genius").

I don't get the feeling he's a nice guy at all. And its sad to see someone who is so much less, mentally, than he used to be. Really hoping he'll not make F5.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 6:21 AM

I'm glad Gary's gone. I kinda disliked him ever since he straight up sabotaged the men's team during the Australian Gold challenge two (three???) seasons ago and then lied about it. Now I just see him as a hateful liar who hides behind his disability. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the way his behavior and focus just changes during the boardroom leads me to believe that it's an act and he's just used to getting away with it. Trump is a disgusting enabler.

LillyCL

LillyCL

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

OMG, I am so glad that Gary is gone. Long overdue. Of course, Trump practically kissed Gary's ass before firing him. And interesting the way Trump let Gary argue with the other two. Gary's a nut. I don't even like Lisa Rinna yet I felt sorry for her.

seacliffsal

seacliffsal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

I am so glad that Gary is gone. I don't know why so many people refer to his genius, as I just don't see it. He seems to take advantage of things and always wanted to be the 'star' of any video or presentation. I am also tired of hearing him addressed as 'academy award nominated....' He appears to be very selfish and tempermental. Now, I can finally enjoy the remaining episodes. It took quite a while before both Omarosa and Gary were fired, but it has finally happened!

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

I don't know why so many people refer to his genius,

I think that was just Trump, and people on this show who were kissing up to Trump (or defusing their criticism of Gary in front of him).

Unfortunately, I think Gary -also- thinks he's a genius. (What's that saying about genius and insanity?)

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

Unfortunately, I think Gary -also- thinks he's a genius. (What's that saying about genius and insanity?)

I don't know - but is there a saying about frontal-lobe damage and batshit crazy?

technorebel

technorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

I just feel sorry for Gary. My brother-in-law had a roofing business, and fell off a roof onto concrete. The resulting brain damage changed him completely, and Busey behaves the same way. Flights of ideas, constant rambling, and bouts of paranoia. The whole thing is just sad.

I wonder if Trump just had him on the show in order to help him out financially. I can't see Gary being able to hold any kind of job otherwise.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 3:31 AM

In Penn's May 5 podcast he talked at length about last episode and said some very complimentary things about Gary.  If you're interested, it's a pretty easy download from itunes or PodcastOne.com.  You can jump to minute 54 if you want to skip to it and not hear the James Randi interview.  (Although why would you?)

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

Thanks to Jimmy Kimmell we get:

Gary Busey Commencement Speech