S11: Richard Hatch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16 replies to this topic

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

Not sure if Hatch should get his own thread here, or if it should somehow be combined with his Survivor thread. Anyway, here goes:

I'd forgotten the way he can totally read a room and work that to his advantage. He won the first Survivor using a strategy that (according to Mark Burnett's book) none of the producers had even thought of, and everyone has since copied; he was then taken out in Survivor: All-Stars simply because everybody in his tribe specifically banded together to throw him out.

Assuming the other people on this show aren't terribly familiar with his decade-old Survivor exploits, he could go far. Whether Trump will hand the Winner title to a convicted tax cheat (who may well have been sent back to prison by the time the finale airs) is another matter.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 7:30 PM

It's weird, because he was not my favorite player in any season of Survivor that he's been on, but he is the reason I am watching CA this season. I do think he can go far because he can read the room and think and react strategically and accordingly. I guess only time will tell though.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

His own thread here is appropriate, as long as you're talking about his appearances on Apprentice with passing references to Survivor. If you want to get into in-depth discussions about his time on Survivor, that should go in the Survivor forums.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

I agree that I tuned into CA solely because I heard about the DC v. RH showdown and was just in awe at how RH turned things around to keep from being fired. Now I gotta watch to see how he continues to last.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

This killed me.

During the hearing, Hatch told Smith that he had fully cooperated with the terms of his release, and that his taxes were extremely complicated and he was working with an accountant to determine from the IRS what he owed. His lawyer said he had only made $26,000 to $27,000 in income since being released from prison, and said he had sought jobs in marketing, on a fishing boat and was currently trying to leverage his charity appearance on "Celebrity Apprentice" into paying jobs in the entertainment industry.

Needless to say, all of his hard work on this season is going to be for nothing. DAMN.

Edited by RentEmSpoons, Mar 12, 2011 @ 1:03 AM.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

I'm torn about this guy and his jail sentence. At this point probably more tax money has been spent and wasted on procecuting him and putting him in jail than he probably originally owed to the IRS in the first place. I can't believe he now owes twice as much as he earned in penalties and again, putting him back in prison just costs more tax dollars and how is he supposed to earn the payback money in jail?

On the other hand- what is up with the dude that he can't file the papers he's supposed to file and start up a payment plan like regular folks? As cunning as he's been on Survivor and CA, I can't help but think this is all some plan of his to 'beat the system". Like he doesn't even mind going to prison so much as long as he screws the IRS over in the end or something.

I know people shouldn't evade taxes- but putting them in jail- I never see what good that does. It doesn't make the money come forward. Garnish the guy's wages, repo his property, but don't spend x amount of dollars keeping him in jail when there are violent offenders running around.

(I know there have been some alledged charges of this guy hitting his son and his boyfriend. If either of those are true- then yeah, he should be serving time for that- but this seems to all be about the taxes)

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

I'm torn about this guy and his jail sentence. At this point probably more tax money has been spent and wasted on procecuting him and putting him in jail than he probably originally owed to the IRS in the first place. I can't believe he now owes twice as much as he earned in penalties and again, putting him back in prison just costs more tax dollars and how is he supposed to earn the payback money in jail?

And if I'm reading this right, he has to do the time AND pay the money? What kind of shit is that? If Hatch has to go to jail for nine months fine. But once he's served his time, his slate should be clean.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

It's that old adage of death and taxes. He owes the taxes no matter that he's even served 3 years in prison alread. I'm rather surprised they added him to the Apprentice roster since he still had to resolve his tax issues. If nothing else he's fascinating on any reality show he's on.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

It's that old adage of death and taxes. He owes the taxes no matter that he's even served 3 years in prison alread. I'm rather surprised they added him to the Apprentice roster since he still had to resolve his tax issues. If nothing else he's fascinating on any reality show he's on.

Well, then there's the solution. Force him to be the villain on every reality show and then garnish his non-charity related wages until the taxes are paid... or would he then owe still on the new earnings... Oh nevermind it all makes my head hurt. He'd be brilliant casting on this show were it not still for those pending charges (which I mean, they were pending while the show was filming but now are just plain charges)

MillieLee

MillieLee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 3:32 AM

That was disappointing. I don't like these sort of tasks that only measure who has the most generous friends. I loved him on Survivor and he was the reason I tuned in for this season (I've never watched The Apprentice before this). I didn't even expect him to be fired yet 'cause he got so little screen time in the episodes except for the first one. Oh well. I hope he gets his finances sorted out.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

Because Gary Busey is such a train wreck (hence more drama), Richard Hatch couldn't even come to his own defense. That was just plain wrong.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

Its also because Trump never does away with a big star when a little one is around. The moment Busey was fingered as the only possible alternative it was over for Hatch. Trump simply steamrolling over the whole thing was just to keep it from dragging on and that reasoning becoming too overtly stated. Add the "trainwrecks get better ratings" thing on TOP of that? Yes, even more reason.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 4, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

lanhub

lanhub

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

I have a feeling that Trump knew what legal problems Hatch was involved in and Trump, probably having read up on the details of Hatch's case, would've known that Hatch was going back to jail sometime during his show. So either he boots him off for bringing in the least amount of money - admit it...his artwork was crap compared to what the others had created - or leave him on the show, only to have him bow out since, at the time, he had a high probability for going to jail.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

admit it...his artwork was crap compared to what the others had created

Oh my stars, yes! What was up with that plastic catepillar thing? And writing "Obfusication" and "Truth" across the canvas. I felt bad for the folks who spent $1000 on it even.

I thought he was playing the game pretty smart at first- sizing everyone up then laying low- and heck you could see him in action last night, leaning up against the wall as NeNe was sobbing over Dionne, then smirkingly playing with his plastic catepillar during the Meatloaf Meltdown- probably mentally recording all the disharmony he could report back to Trump.

But in the end, Trump didn't even give him a chance. I agree, Trump probably had some inkling of which way the wind would blow in Richard's case and was waiting for the men to lose to pounce on Richard. But I think even if Richard hadn't have been about to go back to jail- the fact that he brought in such pitiful fundage coupled with the fact that after David Cassidy was gone Richard ceased to bring the drama- he still would have been feeling Trump's loafers on his bum this week.

lanhub

lanhub

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

Oh I agree that RH totally played the game well early on when he was project manager the 1st week. I thought to myself "oh man...I'm REALLY going to hate seeing this guy on the show!" because he was vicious against DC.

He totally half-assed...more like quarter-assed this challenge. His art was awful!

AnnieBananie

AnnieBananie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:27 AM

"'Survivor' Winner Begs for Cash to Clear His Name"

Classy guy.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

Oh, brother. Funny how he's willing to pay Malaysia, but not the US.

Can't he just go away now and not come back for say, 30 or 40 years?