S11: Dionne Warwick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

85 replies to this topic

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

I have been a huge fan of Dionne's extensive and impressive body of work for years. I hate that so many people remember her more now for the stupid psychic friends commercials than her legendary music career. She has always been a very classy and elegant lady. I hope she has a good showing here.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 5:21 PM

One of my fondest memories was belting out "Heartbreaker" with my roommates in college at a karaoke bar. Good motherfucking times.

I hate that they made Dionne look like some bumbling old fool who couldn't work a cash register. According to this person, Dionne did just fine.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

I hate that so many people remember her more now for the stupid psychic friends commercials than her legendary music career.

Gotta disagree here. The "Psychic Friends Network" was operated by a bunch of scumbags to rob the gullible and weak-minded of their money. I have no doubt that people (many of them not wealthy) wasted money on these hucksters specifically because R&B legend Dionne Warwick was vouching for them. Unless Ms. Warwick apologizes and offers to refund their money, it's tough to get past something like that.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

I agree that Psychic Friends wasn't exactly Dionne's shining moment, but who forced anyone to call that number? How can Dionne "vouch" for the validity of the powers of a psychic? Is someone supposed to get a refund if their predictions did not come true?

Edited by Joan Van Snark, Mar 11, 2011 @ 10:59 AM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

She vouched for the "Psychic Friends" scumbags by appearing in their infomercials (such as the one I linked to), and telling the masses how they could "benefit" from giving their money to them. At the very minimum, she should at least apologize for having helped them rip people off.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

Gotta disagree here. The "Psychic Friends Network" was operated by a bunch of scumbags to rob the gullible and weak-minded of their money. I have no doubt that people (many of them not wealthy) wasted money on these hucksters specifically because R&B legend Dionne Warwick was vouching for them. Unless Ms. Warwick apologizes and offers to refund their money, it's tough to get past something like that.

Plus she did it for a lot of years. It wasn't like it was just one commercial, some brief "mistake". It was an ongoing thing, which she basically made a living off of for years. It might be sad that ANY performer would fall so far as to have to make commercials, but they don't all wind up with psychics. I mean I saw Corbin Berensen on a commercial for lawyers a few months ago. They were ambulance chasers, sure, but even still at least it was a legitimate service.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Mar 11, 2011 @ 2:33 PM.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

Of course I do wish Dionne had never done these infomercials, but Dionne herself has been very much into psychics herself for decades. She even added an extra "e" to her last name for several years in the 70's on the advice of a numerologist. So Dionne herself doesn't think that giving money to psychics is a "rip-off". Of course that doesn't excuse her involvement in the mess, and she has paid for it as her formerly unblemished public image was tarnished and it has really hurt her standing in the respect department.

In her book that just came out a few months ago, Dionne wrote about how her involvement in the Psychic Friends even hurt her respect in the Baptist church she and her family had been a part of since childhood.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

I came into this not respecting Dione's work in the past. I find it lacked much quality and character that one would attribute to an artist of her caliber. Unfortunately she didn't provide much that would have me retract my opinion of her.

But after watching her I've come to this conclusion: not only do I not respond her, I don't like her. She is a mean, old bitch who harbors some strange prejudices with nary an ounce of personal awareness or responsibility.Between Dione, Star and Nene (whatever) The girls team is doomed. They've been infiltrated by cannibals.

oosala

oosala

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Totally agree with you, ECAmber. What a horrible old cow she is. Marlee was right in calling her ignorant, and just being old is no excuse for that kind of ignorance. Her air of entitlement is really amazing, and I can hardly wait until people start calling her on it. There's no requirement to show respect to someone who shows no respect to you.

Hated the coven of Dionne/Star/Nene. Really ugly. All three of them are bitches.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

I use to be a fan of Dionne Warwick. Three weeks ago I looked for a CD by her in Best Buy but couldn't find one. After last nights entitled issues she had I'm glad I didn't find or buy her CD. The woman truly has gone down leaps and bounds in my opinion. When did she become such a diva?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

When did she become such a diva?

Rumor says "around 1965".

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

Between Dione, Star and Nene (whatever) The girls team is doomed. They've been infiltrated by cannibals.

Donald Trump needs DRAMA on this show, and these three do not even need to lift a finger to oblige - they are so natural! Trump will keep this coven going as long as they can keep "entertaining". Too bad this Dionne woman is really boring.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 4:52 AM

Dionne is one of my favorite singers and this show has simply renewed my love for her. She's the biggest bitch on earth and more enjoyable than I could've ever imagined. Knowing that she's related to Whitney Houston, I knew she was going to be reality tv gold. At first I thought she was too old and was confused, but then it made perfect sense. The casting director is a genius.

As for her music, I thought her stuff with Burt Bacharach was sublime, his best vocalist. Then when she left she wasn't as successful, but she has some hidden gems and experimented with lots of genre. The saddest thing is that her incredibly versatile voice was ruined by years of smoking. Now hearing her try to sing her old songs is strange. It's so stressful watching her and wondering if she can hit those notes. Of course she's changed the key, but she still manages to do a good job. Her 1981 (iirc) live cd Hot, Live and Otherwise is brilliant. Her voice had already deteriorated, but it's still very good there. There's a 25 minute medley that is pretty amazing.

On Celeb Apprentice I am eagerly awaiting Marlee giving her the smackdown. That's going to be classic. I also hope she pisses Nene off before she leaves.

4Rocks

4Rocks

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 5:30 AM

Dionne has lost any respect I had. She is demanding, impossible if it isn't her idea, doesn't have a concept of what team work is and wants Diva respect even thou she is a has been. She didn't care about charities, she just wanted Lisa gone. Trump likes her and she is the Joan Rivers of this season, without the personality.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

Dionne is one of my favorite singers and this show has simply renewed my love for her.

I have to admit that the more "Dionne is like a deaf racist" theories I read, the more pro-Dionne I become, if only because it's so offensive.

On Celeb Apprentice I am eagerly awaiting Marlee giving her the smackdown. That's going to be classic. I also hope she pisses Nene off before she leaves.

I know she pisses off NeNe - we see that in one of the trailers - but Dionne is seen being pretty calm and unwavering. Then again, so is La Toya.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

Dionne is the one who is offensive. The way she treated Marlee was utterly inexcusable, expecially for someone her age and as worldly as she is. There is no reason for her not to know better.

I don't care how many records she's sold or how good her concerts may be, at the core she's a vile, stank, fatheaded bitch.

When she gets fired (I doubt this hag will make it to the finals) I hope she gets her ass kicked.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

I have a feeling that she's pretty ignorant and uneducated because her music career came first over education. I'm very disappointed that she's so entitled. I wonder how Aretha Franklin would do?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

I'm not sure what education really has to do with it. I've never had any formal education in "how to treat a deaf person", and I doubt most people reading this have. Most of us have learned what we have through the media--TV, newspapers, movies, etc. We haven't magically had access to anything Dionne Warwick hasn't.

In a way, that kind of takes the juice out of Marlee's whole notion that education of kids on this subject is even necessary. It certainly wouldn't be a BAD idea--knowledge is never a bad thing. But at the same time I think it shows that the behavior of someone like Dionne Warwick can't simply be excused as "a lack of education". Why? Because she didn't go to the secret "don't be an ass" school we all went to?

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

I have a feeling that she's pretty ignorant and uneducated because her music career came first over education.

That'll be a shock to whomever handed Dionne her bachelor's AND Master's degrees from the Hartt College of Music, the former a result of a full scholarship.

kevsing

kevsing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 12:16 AM

Dionne is one of my favorite singers and this show has simply renewed my love for her. She's the biggest bitch on earth and more enjoyable than I could've ever imagined. Knowing that she's related to Whitney Houston, I knew she was going to be reality tv gold. At first I thought she was too old and was confused, but then it made perfect sense. The casting director is a genius.

As for her music, I thought her stuff with Burt Bacharach was sublime, his best vocalist. Then when she left she wasn't as successful, but she has some hidden gems and experimented with lots of genre. The saddest thing is that her incredibly versatile voice was ruined by years of smoking. Now hearing her try to sing her old songs is strange. It's so stressful watching her and wondering if she can hit those notes. Of course she's changed the key, but she still manages to do a good job. Her 1981 (iirc) live cd Hot, Live and Otherwise is brilliant. Her voice had already deteriorated, but it's still very good there. There's a 25 minute medley that is pretty amazing.

You know, I have to admit I was not really familiar with any of Dionne's earlier work; the Dionne I knew was the Dionne of Psychic Friends Network and one of the voices on "That's What Friends Are For". But after seeing what a vile bitch she was on CA, I spent some time looking up her old songs and YT clips wanting to know how she earned this "legend" status. And I have to say that, in her day, she was truly a stunning talent. She had impecabble phrasing, great range, and effortless high notes. Dare I say it, I think I preferred her voice to Whitney's in her prime. She had the notes of Whitney but was not so show-offy and sang with more soul. Even watching performances from recent years, Dionne still does a pretty good job.

Which is why it is so disappointing to see what a rancid bitch she is. When Eric asked whose idea the story was and she cut off everyone and said "It was mine, all mine"...Just wow. And don't get me started on how she treated Marlee and her dismissive eye rolls. Just ugh. I don't know why stars come on shows like this and act in that way. It really sullies their image.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I am also an unabashed Dionne fan, and I am happy that she is so relevant on the show. I really could have never predicted that D was going to be so active and in the mix on the show. Dionne and the other women in her family are a proud bunch and aren't going to be walked on by anybody, or be lectured about behaving like an adult from some d-grade actress like Lisa Rinna. Now I do agree that Dionne was rude to Marlee, and for that, she should apologize.

And many people that aren't old enough or others may have forgotten that Dionne was one of the "it" girls of the sixties. Dionne, Diana and Aretha ruled the world at that time, and Dionne was successful before either of the others. She had a hit with her first record, "Don't Make Me Over" all the way back in 1962, and was performing in Paris and London before anyone knew who Diana was. She was truly a trailblazer. What makes Dionne so unique is that she was pop star from a strong black gospel background who could sing anything from R&B to gospel to jazz to pop and sound convincing in any format. She could never be pigeon-holed as a "soul" artist because that was only a small part of her repetoire. She was truly a cross-over queen because she appealed to both white and black audiences.

Most people do not realize just how powerful Dionne's voice was up through the late 80's before the cigarettes took their toll. She could hold notes at full belt for up to 30 seconds while holding the microphone 6 feet away from her mouth without any loss of volume. Dionne always served the song and did not showboat in her recordings just to prove what she was capable of. She is truly a singer's singer as she was appreciated by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, and Sarah Vaughan. I really like the analogy one of Dionne's long time backup singers (and great singer in her own right) Darlene Love made: singing behind Dionne was like backing up a one-woman orchestra--Aretha is the modern Sarah Vaughan, Dusty Springfield is Billie Holiday, and Dionne is Ella Fitzgerald.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

Dionne and the other women in her family are a proud bunch and aren't going to be walked on by anybody, or be lectured about behaving like an adult from some d-grade actress like Lisa Rinna.

You got THAT right.

And for the all the "I lost all respect for Dionne" people, there are some of us who are rediscovering Dionne's work, and are finding a new found respect and appreciation for her (especially in the face of all this hatred and negativity). I've ordered her children's book (along with Marlee's first one) and her autobio, which I'm finding to be a damn good read. When Dionne actually does something other than be ignorant towards a deaf white woman, I might actually become offended. Until then, I already have a grandma - two, as a matter of fact. I don't need a reality TV one.

Edited by RentEmSpoons, Mar 18, 2011 @ 5:32 PM.

Ahoskie59

Ahoskie59

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 3:16 PM

I grew up in the 1960's so I'm very familiar with Dionne's work. That said, I really don't like how she is on this show and pride doesn't have anything to do with it.

Dionne is the one who is offensive. The way she treated Marlee was utterly inexcusable, expecially for someone her age and as worldly as she is. There is no reason for her not to know better.

I agree with this. Dionne is a star, she's been in show business for eons and I'm certain that she's met all kinds of people, so why act so close minded and nasty? What does it matter that Marlee is white? Dionne was still nasty and rude.

Edited by Ahoskie59, Mar 19, 2011 @ 3:19 PM.

Psychomom

Psychomom

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

I grew up with the music of Dionne Warwick - just because she can sing doesn't mean she is a nice person. I have just finished watching celebrity apprentice and honestly what a vile person - her comments to Marlee and at Marlee and about being deaf are so obnoxious, offensive and mean spirited. She is just so awful.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

or be lectured about behaving like an adult from some d-grade actress like Lisa Rinna.

Someone needed to and should have a long time ago. Dionne was acting like a spoiled 5-year-old who needed to be told to get her act together and grow the fuck up.

As for her being a "strong proud woman," Rosa Parks was a strong woman. Dionne is just a stank bitch.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

Dionne and the other women in her family are a proud bunch and aren't going to be walked on by anybody, or be lectured about behaving like an adult from some d-grade actress like Lisa Rinna.

Lisa Rinna isn't the issue. Its kind of the golden rule here being broken by Dionne. She doesn't GIVE respect, so how dare she demand it. The key word there being "demand". In most of the interactions we've seen with her, Dionne seems to lead with the attitude that something's "owed" her.

Visan

Visan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

I think Dionne Warwick comes from a situation (being part of the music business for 40, 50 years) where she had to stand up for herself because no-one else would have her back. That can/may come across very negative to *some* CA viewers due to a lot of dynamics that I won't go into detail about.

sissykay

sissykay

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

just because she can sing doesn't mean she is a nice person.

DW has a beautiful gift that she nurtured and trained. However, her voice is not who she is. She is a nasty piece of work that gave her name and face as well as endorsement to a scam. She should be ashamed but obviously she's not. Just as she should be ashamed of her treatment of that "deaf white woman" or her demand that she be given full credit for the book sans the other members of the team. But she's not. What ever it takes to get a buck. Is she really that hard up or is she really that far gone? Only her psychic friends knows.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

"Hussy" is now officially in my lexicon. #iCried

Garbs

Garbs

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

Being born in the mid 80's, I can't say I knew a whole ton about Dionne Warwick coming into this season. After watching I'm very thankful this woman isn't held in the same esteem as Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Etta James, Gladys Knight, and Patti LaBelle. Very very thankful.