Fringe Fanworks: "You Are Just In Time For Show And Tell"

• Please log in to reply

1007 replies to this topic

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

In fact, I'm going through a period where I can't find Walter's voice right now, and the story I'm writing *needs* it, for a good bit of the plot.

I hate it when that happens. Sometimes I find rereading my old fic helps me get back into it...if you have anything that would work for that.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

Hmm, I'll try that too, thanks!

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 5:26 AM

Fanfic fans: you can now get the first Christa Faust book via Kindle. (Hard copies 2 weeks from now)

I sold her a bit short when I read the first page and said "Hmph, Reiden Lake was not a make-out spot!" Then I read the words "police zeppelin" and had to concede she knew what she was doing. :-)

I haven't had time to properly start reading, so I've been skimming.  Not sure how fans will react to it.  The story seems good (Walter and Belly, as young men, encounter a serial killer from the Other Side) but it's done very much in the straightforward "pulp crime" narrative style that Ms Faust specializes in, which takes some getting used to. 

The characterization of Walter in the book takes me back to an essential problem I always had with Walter's backstory on the show: many different things were implied about Walter's personality (on the show) as a younger man, some of them conflicting.  Was he a wild, confident lothario (ie bedding Yoko), or was he more nerdy? I wasn't ever sure you could plausibly combine the two.  I get the feeling Faust is taking the "more nerdy" tack, though I actually need to dig in to the story.  I personally would choose this myself for Walter, especially in terms of his relationship with Bell.  I always thought Bell would be alpha and Walter more "beta" especially when it came to moral quandaries and ethics (Bell more ambitious, Walter more cautious). 

BTW, heavy Walter/Bell bromance vibes in this.  Not exactly ho-yay as far as I can tell, but again this is a valid choice on Faust's part.  The Walter/Bell frenemyship was always very important on the show.

Nina shows up halfway through and yes, Walter had the hots for her.

Edited by jipijapa, May 7, 2013 @ 8:50 AM.

lizw65

lizw65

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

I sold her a bit short when I read the first page and said "Hmph, Reiden Lake was not a make-out spot!" Then I read the words "police zeppelin" and had to concede she knew what she was doing.

What, the Edsel reference didn't tip you off? :)

I'm enjoying it so far, but as far as character "voices" go I think Faust has succeeded better with Bell than Walter; I can hear Nimoy saying his lines very clearly, which isn't happening as much with John Noble.

Edited by lizw65, May 7, 2013 @ 7:46 PM.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

OK fellow forumites; I'm in a fanvidding mood. I've had a couple of these ideas for a while, and want help deciding which to do first.

Idea 1 is an Olivia, AltLivia, finishing up with Olivia/Etta vid to http://lyrics.az/joa...st-lullaby.html Honest Lullaby by Joan Baez.

Idea 2 is a sort of series wide tribute to the alternate universes set to http://www.lyricsfre...e_20053679.html Across the Universe (Fiona Apple's version, cause I like it better).

Idea 3 is more of a traditional Peter/Olivia vid set to http://www.lyricsfre...c_20143096.html Into the Mystic by Van Morrison (which aside from being my favorite song, really struck a cord with me for "And when that fog horn blows/I will be coming home/And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it/I don't have to fear it/I want to rock your gypsy soul/Just like way back in the days of old/Then magnificently we will float into the mystic"

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

Do the Alt-U!  I loves me some Alt-U.

Uroboros75

Uroboros75

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:35 AM

For those who are not yet aware, Corwin has released the sequel to the excellent Höllenhund.

It is titled Seepferdchen (i.e. Seahorse). It's apparently meant to not be a direct sequel per se, but simply a story set in the same continuity. Whatever the case, the first chapter is now available, and it's fairly intriguing so far.

I figured that since I didn't see any links posted in this thread yet, I might as well share. By way of thanks, you can have some Red Vines delivered to my place of residence at Possible Future #24482937, Room 3C. :)

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

Eeep.  I completely forgot to make an announcement here, thanks.   Yes...the story is simply set in the same continuity, and since the series is over, I don't have any particular allegiance to canon either....

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

I just did another rewatch recently and I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for good fics that pick up after the finale. I got done watching the show and now I want to know what happened after Peter opened the letter with the white tulip...if you know what I mean. I never read any of those fics initially because the show itself was too fresh in my mind, but I think I'm ready now. Did anyone do anything good?

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

Our own Dixie has done Thirty Days.  It's excellent.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Thanks, Corwin.... 

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

Thirty Days was fantastic.  

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 4:52 AM

Thanks to both of you!

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I just published ch 3 of Seepferdchen, if anyone is interested.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

I just published ch 3 of Seepferdchen, if anyone is interested.

I am! :) Thanks for reminding me.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

For those who are following, I just published ch 4 of Seepferdchen.  The story is approximately at the halfway point now, with only one or two more shockers left, and I'm going to start tying things up...

ETA:  Much thanks to Dixie for her beta duties!

Edited by CorwinOfAmber, Aug 20, 2013 @ 10:40 PM.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

This is the most evil fanwork ever, and I love it.

As far as Seepferdchen goes, it's still being worked on.  I just haven't had much time for it.  It will be finished soon, I promise.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

awesome

I love Fringecomix

Edited by Jodhaa, Dec 31, 2013 @ 10:24 AM.