Property Brothers

• Please log in to reply

429 replies to this topic

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Just discovered this tonight and didn't find a thread about it.

Drew Scott is a real estate agent who helps couples find fixer upper homes and his twin brother Jonathan is a contractor who does the renovations. They are twin brothers.

It is on W Network.

http://www.wnetwork....tyBrothers.aspx

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

I like the show and the brothers seem quite likable, especially the contractor. I think the real estate brother pushes the buyers a little too much to go over their budget, with cost of house and cost of renovations.

Do you also think they, especially Jonathan, resemble Scott McGillivray from Income Property? I would think they all know one another, being all in the Toronto area.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

I thought this show was out of Vancouver. It is another one of those shows that plays the "we won't tell you where we are filming to make people think we are in their town!" game. The brother's business is based in Vancouver, Calgary and Vegas according to the host bios so I would think it was Vancouver (especially based on the price$ for what are essentially gut jobs.

Edited by millk, Mar 4, 2011 @ 12:02 PM.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

Don't know if we read the same articles about the brothers and their show, but one I read has this paragraph:

This season’s 13 episodes are being filmed in and around Toronto. In later seasons, plans are to film on the West Coast, as well as in the U.S.

But I had actually just assumed it was Toronto, and we know what happens to people who assume:)

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 6, 2011 @ 9:53 PM.
Fixed quote tgs

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 3:43 PM

Well it is u and me and this assumption anyway.

Both brothers are hot though Jonathan has too much of a 90s look going on. Wonder if it is for the show (they look to be identical so something to differentiate between them) or if it's his style.

Jonas Quimby

Jonas Quimby

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

This show is on HGTV now too. I think the brothers are a little creepy looking, but that's just me.

I liked that it showed the couple picking the home, potential redesigns, and then the follow-through to the final renovation. There was a show a few years ago (the name escapes me), where the host would take a couple to three homes, a designer would show the possibilities within their budget, and then the couple would buy the house. We never saw if they actually did the work or what the final product looked like.

sistersledge

sistersledge

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

I agree, Jonas Quimby, they look creepy to me. I think they need to "tone it down" whatever that means relative to each. The tan, the product, I'm not sure exactly what but something.

I'm glad someone started the thread - I've been looking for one! I've seen the first HGTV-aired episode and I liked the 80s house the couple chose. It was huge!

However, I didn't like the finish product as much as the drawings - but it was more of the artwork he chose and the tchotchkes that I didn't agree with, his taste in certain items. The construction stuff was fine. I'm thinking those might just be for the show reveal anyway and they would be removed when the crew left.

Interested to see more episodes and I am loving that they show a final product. It does reminds me of that other show, not sure if its still on, with Barry and/or a tall blonde woman who looked exactly like him and showing renderings on a computer. As mentioned above, the problem with that show is that I always thought the whole thing was faked - no one REALLY ever bought those houses so I'm enjoying that they actually do a reveal on this one.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 7:58 AM

The couple in the first episode came off as pretty dense -- "Oh, no! There's so much work to do!"

Kind of the point of the show, kids.

The contractor brother with the blond streaks in his hair is the one who seems the creepiest to me.

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

I found myself questioning the quality of the work if they can really get that all done in 5 weeks.

Badgergrrl

Badgergrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

So, did they do the kitchen? They showed her "office" and the master suite, but they didn't talk about the kitchen. Did they run out of money or minutes of show?

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

They didn't show the kitchen, nor did they ever mention any sort of plans for redoing it. Personally, I would have much rather had the kitchen redone instead of the dining room.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Is this show shot in Toronto? I never cease to be amazed at how high house prices there, and I don't live in a low price housing market area, depending on neighborhood.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 6:53 AM

There was a show a few years ago (the name escapes me), where the host would take a couple to three homes, a designer would show the possibilities within their budget, and then the couple would buy the house. We never saw if they actually did the work or what the final product looked like.

Hidden Potential. I liked that show too but would have liked to have seen it finished. I sort of watched this last night. I am sorry but the homeowners were just too out there for me. They needed to take showers shave and wear something more then old t-shirts. The redo was lovely but I couldn't stand to watch the grubby looking people. Sorry. I may try again. but not sure.

Petunia98

Petunia98

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

I've watched this show a couple of times and it really bugs that they talk about everything that can be done with the home while they are walking through but the plans and the reveal leave huge parts of the home out. The last one I saw they had plans for two homes and both homes were a wreck but the plans for one of the homes only included the second floor (make the entire second floor a master suite which would make a four bedroom home a one bedroom home) and the first floor and basement were unlivable. I don't see how spending their entire budget on buying the house and a master suite would give them somewhere they could live. Of course they didn't choose that home but the one they choose was only half fixed too. They talk about potential in the walk through but they only end up promising and doing part of the work. I'm not sure I can watch anymore.

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:43 PM

ITA, something seems off about this show. Haven't clicked with the hosts. Disappointed they didn't do the kitchen in the first one. Wasn't wowed by the kitchen in the second episode. Some of their designs lack finishing touches or contain too many accessories. The basic construction/remodelling seems fine.

Loved Hidden Potential and always wanted to see some or one or any of those plans put into fruition. (Was even one completed? Please, please Barry - Some of your plans were incredible!)

Property Brothers is currently Toronto based but they hope to branch out to different areas on future seasons. Apparently the two of them currently reside in Las Vegas and one's a magician??

Here's the casting info plus an interview if anyone's interested:

Property Brothers Casting

Property Brothers Interview

Edited by NYdreaming, May 5, 2011 @ 5:51 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

Loved Hidden Potential and always wanted to see some or one or any of those plans put into fruition.

The problem with that show was that the audience didn't know if the folks even ended up making offers on any of the houses they saw, let alone buying one. And even if they bought one of the houses, who's to say they ever did any of the renovations. So as much as I loved Barry's plans and such, I ended every episode with this unfinished feeling, like half of the show was missing.

At least with a show like Property Brothers (which hasn't hooked me yet, but we'll see) a house has been bought, and work has been done.

Edited by Bitterswete, May 6, 2011 @ 10:49 AM.

Jonas Quimby

Jonas Quimby

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

At least with a show like Property Brothers (which hasn't hooked me yet, but we'll see) a house has been bought, and work has been done.

Yes, I like that too, but apparently it's not the whole house. I just watched the one with the two gay bears buying a home. I'm glad they took the row house, because I really couldn't see how making a four-bedroom house into a one-bedroom was improving it, even if you did have a spacious master suite with walk-in closet to a great bathroom. Plus the row house had that income property.

Still, I was disappointed that the Bros don't do the whole house -- didn't the bedrooms need work too? And then there was the income suite (although that's another show -- maybe we'll see the bears on Scott's show next). I did find it kind of touching when the one started to get emotional and the other gave him a hug and kiss (although I couldn't tell them apart).

And it must have been gay opposite day or something, because I have my DVR set to record a minute into the next program in case there's any overlap, and it was a House Hunters episode. In Property Bros we had the chunky bears, but the HH were stereotypical gay twinks. Rather funny in its way. Both couples were almost mirror images of their own partner.

sskrill

sskrill

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

with Barry and/or a tall blonde woman who looked exactly like him

Too funny Sistersledge, when I read the reference to it I thought the same thing word for word. I always assumed that was his sister (and for some reason I think it was) but I never liked either of them. His plans were nice but there personalities were "Eh".

I don't much care for this show either - the brothers are dull - the whole show is dull.

And I can't believe those prices either: "Here's a shell of a home thats been massively neglected but you can get it for only $525,000! Isn't that great!"

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

IIRC, the blonde was Brandie Malay, one of the realtors from the Chicago DTS. Never heard she was his sister but you never know. Barry's plans were beautiful but you always felt unfulfilled, since we never saw even one finished project.

We can't warm up to the brothers, either. They feel too glib, too staged somehow. Agreed with you on the two guys' home but all these jobs feel unfinished also because they only do a portion of the home. It looks like they ignore basic maintenance, too. Did any of you notice the stair railing as those guys walked into their house during the reveal? It was wobbling and looked like it'll collapse at any moment. Hope they pay up the insurance before a visitor has a serious accident. Better yet, fix the d___ fence.

Edited by NYdreaming, May 21, 2011 @ 10:52 AM.

Richko

Richko

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 10:34 AM

IIRC, the blonde was Brandie Malay, one of the realtors from the Chicago DTS.

No, Brandie was just the host. The designer was Paige Rien. ( http://www.paigerien.com )

Interesting that Paige is a designer, while Barry is primarily an architect (and model!).

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

Yes, Brandie, the realtor, performed the hosting duties and appeared in most of the episodes, IIRC. (Can't remember the name of another host that did a few episodes.) The designers were splitting the episodes - can't remember if it was roughly by location between Paige and Barry.

Edited by NYdreaming, May 23, 2011 @ 8:47 PM.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

I watched this show because it came on after Income Property, and it doesn't really grab me but it kills a half hour. The brothers, who look like they never left the 90's are so boring. For some reason I constantly wonder how much profit they are making off the agent thing and construction because the houses feel unfinished.

It doesn't help that the couples appear to suffer from a deficit of imagination when they are touring the houses.

I used to watch Hidden Potential and it bugged that we never got to see a finished house.

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 6:29 AM

Still not grabbing me, either. Incredibly bad acting on the last two we've seen. In one, the couple magically remembered an available family home, perfectly sized and located after the first option. This week, one home appeared significantly more desirable (don't know about the location) plus they'd already started construction! In both episodes, the couples acted (badly) like, "Gosh, which one should we choose??"

In addition, I was incredibly distracted by the realtor-brother's hair this week. First, it was blow-dried straight up, then straight out in the next scene. Plus, their too cute costumes and make-up - they're stuck in the 90's or Las Vegas or somewhere. It's definitely killing a half-hour.

Edited by NYdreaming, May 26, 2011 @ 6:48 AM.

sistersledge

sistersledge

Video Archivist

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

I will give it this: it definitely beats the millions of repeats of Property Virgins (ugh!), My First Place or House Hunters. But that's probably the only plus.

It was completely obvious which house they picked in last night's episode due the construction already having been started. I'm never impressed with the reveals (it never looks as good as on the computer) and I thought I caught a few corners unfinished (construction materials visible) last night as well.

Edited by sistersledge, May 26, 2011 @ 9:25 AM.

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 9:36 AM

ITA, sistersledge. I'll basically suffer through anything with design. The real estate stuff - not so much.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 10:06 AM

I'm also pretty underwhelmed by this show, but at least we get to see some finished remodeled rooms, as others have noted.

Last night I was just bugged by the couple - specifically the hubby as I recall - fussing about "all that work" needed on the house that was already demo'd and a little bit redone. Although the other house was a hot mess, I think he actually muttered something about how at least they could move into it as it was. In my opinion, the already demo'd house was a much better prospect because it seemed pretty much ready to finish. While the other house would need demo - which no doubt would reveal hidden problems as all older houses will do - which would make it a longer process to renovate for the family. I assumed this was just scripted in order to provide the drah-mah and I hope he really wasn't being as stupid as he sounded to me.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

Finally got to see an episode. I like that there is a before and after, which was what bugged me about Hidden Potential. I figured that show was completely BS and that the folks never bought the places and did the reno.

I find the brothers boring and the "drama" scripted, but at least we do get the after.

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

Being able to see the afters is really nice, that always bugged the crap out of me with Hidden Potential. I just can't get past the feeling that we're going to see these homeowners on Holmes Inspection in a few years though.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 1:52 AM

Well, for the first time this season, I deleted the PB episode without watching it. I think I'm officially done.

I did realize a couple of episodes ago why I can not get into this show. They spend too much time on the "before" and then rush through the construction and "after". I can take Income Property because I do not mind seeing the "in progress" portion of a home renovation. However, since so much of each PB episode is spent "looking for the run-down house," I have to let it go.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 7:26 AM

I did realize a couple of episodes ago why I can not get into this show. They spend too much time on the "before" and then rush through the construction and "after". I can take Income Property because I do not mind seeing the "in progress" portion of a home renovation. However, since so much of each PB episode is spent "looking for the run-down house," I have to let it go.

Exactly!

I could take maybe 15 minutes of the house hunt but a half hour is far too long and too boring. I usually just watch the last half hour for all the reno drama.

I watched an episode the other night of a gay couple who went off in the middle of the reno and left all the design decisions to Jonathan. But they loved his decisions so it was all good.